Edelman > Welker!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Edelman > Welker!?

Incredelman!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Incredelman!

Nice!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd say Edelman has certainly stepped up his game in the absence of some targets from last year, but certainly Welker is the better WR, especially when it comes to yards after catch. For a while in Game 1 and 2, Brady was almost forcing the ball to Edelman, where Manning has an arsenal he can choose from.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I'd say Edelman has certainly stepped up his game in the absence of some targets from last year, but certainly Welker is the better WR, especially when it comes to yards after catch. For a while in Game 1 and 2, Brady was almost forcing the ball to Edelman, where Manning has an arsenal he can choose from.

Actually, Welker is not really better at YAC.He has shorter legs than Edelman and is slower.

The difference is opps for each.  Plop Gronk and Amendola down with Edelman out there and then compare. Edelman is clearly more explosive with YAC than Welker because of whta he can do in space. Welker is constantly caught from behind, Kevvie.

Welker led the NFLin YAC last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch/year/2012

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Why even bring up the comparison? Edelman's stat was padded by the lack of dependable WRs for the Pats, whereas Welker is one of 3 or 4 outstanding receivers Manning is throwing to. Welker is doing fine in Denver. He has moved on, and so should we.

Living well is the best revenge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

Why even bring up the comparison? Edelman's stat was padded by the lack of dependable WRs for the Pats, whereas Welker is one of 3 or 4 outstanding receivers Manning is throwing to. Welker is doing fine in Denver. He has moved on, and so should we.

Living well is the best revenge.

What are you talking about...  He still needs to get open and catch the damn ball, padded stats??!  Look, I get your point.  But at the same time I did bring up an intriguing discussion.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Actually, Welker is not really better at YAC.He has shorter legs than Edelman and is slower.

The difference is opps for each.  Plop Gronk and Amendola down with Edelman out there and then compare. Edelman is clearly more explosive with YAC than Welker because of whta he can do in space. Welker is constantly caught from behind, Kevvie.

Welker led the NFLin YAC last year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYardsAfterCatch/year/2012

Rusty is known for making up things.  He is a fraud, a joke.  He must have been drinking while he made that comment.

Very sad that he is so jealous of other teams, other players.  He is a troll.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

TFB I know you hate this thread!  But thanks for making an apparence.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

If there ever comes a day where these threads are true I won't be making an appearance, lol!!  Until then, I will continue to pop in and laugh at those who are in denial.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

[QUOTE]

If there ever comes a day where these threads are true I won't be making an appearance, lol!!  Until then, I will continue to pop in and laugh at those who are in denial.

[/QUOTE]

Denial? No doubt Welker is a GREAT player!

Bottom line to date... both teams are 3-0 and the production in catches and yards from that position is similar to what he has given Denver.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

RkPlayerTeamPos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM 1 Julian Edelman NE WR 27 201 7.4 67.0 35 2 1 0 9 33.3 0 11 Wes Welker DEN WR 19 190 10.0 63.3 32 4 3 0 13 68.4 0

Edelman leads the league in catches!!! LOL

Sorry I'm just having fun - I know Welker is a better receiver, but I think we at least need to be happy we have Edelman on our team.

He does have a great rapport with Brady, and is a top 3 punt retuner IMO.  He hasn't broken open a big one yet, but he has brought one back for a TD in 3 consecutive seasons.  Only active player to do so!  

Great punt returner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-LZuLos3c

And he can play DB in a pinch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdIG2IvNI2Q

Loves to block for his guys... wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YDJ5VP1EEQ

Maybe I should have titled this the julian edelman appreciation thread.  Wink

Nice post Getz--really suprised me to see the comparisons--thanks

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think Welker runs better routes than Edelman and is better at finding openings in the defense and getting separation (Welker's primary strength is his understanding of defenses and his quickness, which together allow him to almost always find the right hole in the coverage).  Despite the few high profile drops Welker had, I also think Welker is a bit more reliable as a receiver as well, maybe just because Welker is so good at getting open so a lot of his catches come when the defense can't make any immediate contact on him to break up the catch or knock the ball out. 

Edelman has been playing well, however, and Amendola (if he ever stays on the field) can certainly make catches that Welker likely wouldn't make. (Though it's not clear yet whether Amendola is a as crafty a player as Welker is or is as good at finding openings and getting to the right place and position to take the throw.) 

It will be interesting to see if Edelman (assuming no injury) continues to stay ahead of Boyce at slot receiver.  Boyce has far better speed, and he should be pushing Edelman for snaps if he can play. At this point, however, we need at least one veteran among the receivers and Edelman is that.  

I've never been sold on Edelman as a starting receiver, but I do think he makes a good back-up at slot . . . and his ability to return punts makes him a very valuable part of the roster.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

I think that when you compare players, you need to compare their total body of work, and not just a snapshot of the here-and-now. And in doing that, one MUST simply recognize that Welker is an outstanding player, period. No "he is just a slot receiver", no "it's only because of Brady/Manning", no nothing. He is great, and deserves respect.

Edelman, over his career, has shown flashes of good play when he can get on the field, but there are serious questions about his durability. To say that Edelman is better than Welker is just plain wrong.

That doesn't mean I don't like Edelman, 'cause I do. I think as of right NOW, he produces, he is on the field, he is dynamic, he contributes both as a receiver and as a PR. He is doing it great, and if he can keep it up for 3-4 more YEARS, then we can start to talk about him being on level with Welker. But 3 games put up against 6 years of outstanding production....

Supra societatem nemo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

One of the most impressive stats, so far, about Edleman is that he is currently #4 in NFL career history in yds per punt return.

In the top 8 guys every other guy is from the 50's and 60's. You don't get to a modern guy until #10 with Devin Hester.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/punt_ret_yds_per_ret_career.htm

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Welker is a much more polished receiver then Edleman is. welker better routes and has a lot more experience. Aside from edlemans durability issues I'm surprised he doesn't put the ball on the ground more. He carrys it in one hand and swings his arm in space

Brady has had no one else to throw the ball to, he had to target edleman who has made the best of his situation. Good for us and good for him. IMO if Welker was still here he would have close to 40 catches already. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Welker is a much more polished receiver then Edleman is. welker better routes and has a lot more experience. Aside from edlemans durability issues I'm surprised he doesn't put the ball on the ground more. He carrys it in one hand and swings his arm in space

Brady has had no one else to throw the ball to, he had to target edleman who has made the best of his situation. Good for us and good for him. IMO if Welker was still here he would have close to 40 catches already. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

That might be true regarding Welker. If that were the case and WW had 40 catches what would that do to the maturation process of the rookies?

I guess because you can't quantify what would have happened if WW was here it is a pretty subjective topic.

The one thing i would say though is that the slot position is not where the issue lies for me based on the numbers. the issue lies with the TE position IMO.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

One of the most impressive stats, so far, about Edleman is that he is currently #4 in NFL career history in yds per punt return.

In the top 8 guys every other guy is from the 50's and 60's. You don't get to a modern guy until #10 with Devin Hester.

When I started to read your post I thought it was going to go like this....

One of the most impressive stats, so far, about Edelman is that he is still healthy!  Which I would agree. LOL.

But yes, I also agree with your post.  That is impressive.  Who would have guessed Edelman would be # 4?  Impressive for sure!  What will be interesting to watch is the more years he goes if the number dwindles down. 

As I have mentioned many times Edelman has a huge heart, willing to do or play anywhere just to get on the field to help the team win.  He was pretty bad as a DB yet he was out there giving it his all.  How can anyone not like a player like that?  But with all of that said, he isn't in the same class as Welker.  He isn't in the same class as Amendola for that matter.  Edelman can not work the field and get open like Welker and even Amendola can.  He can not make the adjustments while the ball is in the air to make the difficult catches those two can make.  Yes, I am a Edelman fan but I also can see that he is limited in his skill as a WR.  We are talking about comparing a legit wide receiver in Welker to a player who converted from a college QB to a NFL receiver.  Night and day between Welker and Edelman..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

One of the most impressive stats, so far, about Edelman is that he is still healthy!  Which I would agree.

But yes, I also agree with your post.  That is impressive.  Who would have guessed Edelman would be # 4?  Impressive for sure!  What will be interesting to watch is the more years he goes if the number dwindles down. 

As I have mentioned many times Edelman has a huge heart, willing to do or play anywhere just to get on the field to help the team win.  He was pretty bad as a DB yet he was out there giving it his all.  How can anyone not like a player like that?  But with all of that said, he isn't in the same class as Welker.  He isn't in the same class as Amendola for that matter.  Edelman can not work the field and get open like Welker and even Amendola can.  He can not make the adjustments while the ball is in the air to make the difficult catches those two can make.  Yes, I am a Edelman fan but I also can see that he is limited in his skill as a WR.  We are talking about comparing a legit wide receiver in Welker to a player who converted from a college QB to a NFL receiver.  Night and day between Welker and Edelman..

[/QUOTE]
    Just "popping in" to say hi! and to say......."TFB and Welker sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" HA!!! C-Ya!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

One of the most impressive stats, so far, about Edelman is that he is still healthy!  Which I would agree.

[/QUOTE]
    Just "popping in" to say hi! and to say......."TFB and Welker sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" HA!!! C-Ya!

[/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha!  Once a troll always a troll.

He can't stop thinking about me!!!  Hahahaha!!  I love it.  You know he has been lurking here all along.  And of course all his garbage he said would come true (because he knows since he was a cfl football player) hasn't.  As many have posted about him since he has been gone, everything he posted proved that he was a fraud and doesn't know the game.  Hey Rallyc... we are all still laughing at you, not with you.  Hahahahaha!!   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

[QUOTE]

One of the most impressive stats, so far, about Edelman is that he is still healthy!  Which I would agree. LOL.

[/QUOTE]

Good post! Especially liked your comments about his his heart and effort. In my wildest dreams we have returned to the early 2000's! They were so much fun to watch, although a few of those games had me searching for my heart pills (joke, no offense intended)!!! This team is very easy to root for and I'm sure there will be set backs but holding any NFL team to 3 points is impressive. Don't care who they are!

When did this fan base become so spoiled and entitled?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

I am always watching TFB. I will always be watching you spew man love for your little Welkie, and your dumb as a rock perspective of the game. You can't do anything about it. BYE.  

"TFB12 and Welker sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!" HA!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

He's number 1 now.  He's passed all the others. Happened 2 weeks ago

.In fact, with his three punt returns against the Bills, Edelman reached the minimum number required (75) to qualify on the NFL’s all-time list and thus became the league’s career leader with a punt return average of 13.0 yards.

Read more: http://www.enterprisenews.com/answerbook/pembroke/x1281954566/Patriots-may-need-Edelman-to-bring-his-A-game-against-Jets#ixzz2fv2mkk4r 
    Follow us: @enterprisenews on Twitter | EnterpriseBrockton on Facebook

OK I had heard that but when I looked it up he was #4, it must be based on that 75 minimum piece. I went back and check #1 on that list I posted and I think that guy only had 67 attempts.

Will have to see where he ultimately ends up but at the moment it is what it is and it is impressive.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I am always watching TFB. I will always be watching you spew man love for your little Welkie, and your dumb as a rock perspective of the game. You can't do anything about it. BYE.

Look at you dude, you are obsessed with me.  Sorry you can't handle the truth about the loss of Welker to this team, especially now with Amendola out.  I thought you said Amendola wasn't injury prone.  You pretty much guaranteed Amendola would be healthy this season.  You pretty much said Tebow would be on this team catching passes as a TE.  You couldn't have been more wrong.  Ex player, hahaha!  Apparently someone was doing you a favor, you don't have the football knowledge to be a player or ex player.  Many here have proved it.   Remember the DB/Safety discussion, lol!  And I know a few former football players, have meet many and I have never heard 1 of them disrespect a player like you do.  They know what it takes to get to that level and play at that level for a long time.  Nothing but respect, yet you make it seem very easy to disrespect players.  You might have played the silly leagues of semi pro, that's it.

Remember, we laugh at you around here, not with you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

"Stop saying I love Welkie!!!!!"

TFB12

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Look at you dude, you are obsessed with me.  Sorry you can't handle the truth about the loss of Welker to this team, especially now with Amendola out.  I thought you said Amendola wasn't injury prone.  You pretty much guaranteed Amendola would be healthy this season.  You pretty much said Tebow would be on this team catching passes as a TE.  You couldn't have been more wrong.  Ex player, hahaha!  Apparently someone was doing you a favor, you don't have the football knowledge to be a player or ex player.  Many here have proved it.   Remember the DB/Safety discussion, lol!  And I know a few former football players, have meet many and I have never heard 1 of them disrespect a player like you do.  They know what it takes to get to that level and play at that level for a long time.  Nothing but respect, yet you make it seem very easy to disrespect players.  You might have played the silly leagues of semi pro, that's it.

Remember, we laugh at you around here, not with you.

[/QUOTE]

"Stop saying I love with Welkie!!!!!"

[/QUOTE]

That's all you got?  Hahahahaha!! Looks like you are back for more abuse.

Sections
Shortcuts