Edelman loss is big

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Edelman loss is big

Guy was the biggest special teamer for Pats. Lead punt returner and on kickoff coverage - looks like Welker will be back doing punt returns...more beating on the guy...

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Re: Edelman loss is big

Sky is falling? Im a realist - not one of the pink hats yelling PATS BEST TEAM IN LEAGUE. Personally I just think the Pats are a above average team, but I dont think they are SB winning caliber. Honestly, I think they are setting themselves up for another 1 and done in playoffs. Narrow wins over Bills and Fins dont show me anything. Talk to me Tuesday morning....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The Pats have lost a key player or two every season for years and what does BB do, plug in another player and they keep winning.  The best in the business in doing that.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to ccsjl's comment:

Sky is falling? Im a realist - not one of the pink hats yelling PATS BEST TEAM IN LEAGUE. Personally I just think the Pats are a above average team, but I dont think they are SB winning caliber. Honestly, I think they are setting themselves up for another 1 and done in playoffs. Narrow wins over Bills and Fins dont show me anything. Talk to me Tuesday morning....

Who is Super Bowl caliber then?

HOU had narrow wins against the Jets, Jags, and Lions

ATL had narrow wins against pretty much everyone they faced.

DEN had narrow wins against KC and San Diego

Baltimore had narrow wins against Cleveland, San Diego, KC

SF can't beat the Rams

GB has had 3 losses and 1 fake loss (SEA)

You get the point.

What constitutes a Super Bowl caliber team? I'm not guaranteeing that the Pats are going to make the Super Bowl...but they're definitely capable of making it

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Houston by 10 thats my pick...Just hope Brady doesnt get hurt, with the shaky O-line that gave up 4 sacks to the Dolphins. I think Houston gets at least that many sacks...Like I have told fans of other teams that came on here for years guaranteeing their teams wins, take all your cash out of the bank, morgage the house, and pawn all your property and take it to Vegas to double your net worth overnight - its that simple.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Houston by 10 thats my pick...Just hope Brady doesnt get hurt, with the shaky O-line that gave up 4 sacks to the Dolphins. I think Houston gets at least that many sacks...Like I have told fans of other teams that came on here for years guaranteeing their teams wins, take all your cash out of the bank, morgage the house, and pawn all your property and take it to Vegas to double your net worth overnight - its that simple.

That's a fair pick. These are two good teams and it can go either way.

But on the otherside of the argument- HOU got 6 sacks and 6 turnovers last week against Tennessee. Jake Locker still managed to throw 300 yards despite that and HOU only scored 24 points. TEN is 27th in yards allowed per game and 31st in points allowed

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I don't have a problem with anyone picking against NE.  This is a big game and endless arguments can be made supporting either team's chances (as we've seen on this board this week).  Truthfully, none of us have a clue how this one will unfold.  I'll side with history.  As Rusty mentioned above, NE is nearly flawless on Monday night and at home in December in recent memory.  Hard to say how rainy/windy it will be Monday night, but I'm pretty sure it won't be cozy, dome-like conditions for the Texas team heading north.  I'll take NE to win it 24-20.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

My favorite part of this is this sky is falling character wondering why Brady was sacked 4 times, the O Line only appeared shaky and why Brady ended up throwing 40 times with a lead the entire game.

I say the odds of the offense being run poorly 2 weeks in a row with Bolden back in the fold, are BAD.

For NE to lose this game at home, they'd have to lay an egg completeyt and/or have a poorly run offense 2 weeks in a row. 

NE is 10-1 in their last 11 Monday night games, haven't lost at home in December since 2005 (Miami, Week 17) and are 20-0 in December in the last 5 seasons.

Throw in the fact Houston is hurting on D, doesn't match up well with how their run their D against an offense like this, and the odds are against them.   GB sliced and diced them for a reason.

And NE has a running game, while GB does not. 

A couple of things.

Past history on MNF has no bearing on this game. How they did against the Vikings in 2005 on MNF makes no difference in this game. The teams are mostly different. So their MNf record shouldn't be an argument on why they might win this game.

Same thing with December home win streaks. They're bound to end. Who is the toughest opponent theyve had in Dec the last couple of years? Honest question, I dont remember any big games (other than maybe the 9-3 Jets vs 9-3 Pats in 2010).

After thinking about it for a bit, GB game is somewhat irrelevant. GB's offense operated more with the deeper  passes as they have 2 pretty good deep threats (Nelson and Cobb) HOU's claim to fame on defense is swatting the ball. You can't swat deep passes as the trajectory of the ball is too high. NE's pass offense is predicated on the short pass, which HOU will have a chance to swat the ball.

I don't think this offense will fare as well as GB's, but I do think it will do better than Denver. Jax and Det had field days against this offense but I'll give HOU the benefit of the doubt for now and say they played down to their opponent.

Mercilus also seems better suited as a pass rusher than Reed. Looking at what they have at ILB, gronk would have been such a huge asset.

I fully expect both teams to bring their A game. How they block Watt is the obvious key. Barwin has been an utter disappointment this season. If Hou can't get pressure without blitzing, then I like NE's chances of winning

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

dapats - normally I would say past history doesn't mean anything except Hou still hasn't played in a game like this before, esp their QB. A big Monday Night game in the spot light against one of the prime teams in the league in a game that you might have to face again. The outcome of this game might also affect possible home field advantage for these two teams. That's a lot of pressure and truthfully we don't know how Hou will react, but we do know how the Pats react. The Pats still have a young team but for the most part a good majority of these players have been in games like this before. There is a less likelihood of them biting the bit in this situation, given their past record. One thing about recent past records is they won't predict a game but they give you an idea of how a particular team handles those games (do they crumble or thrive)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

dapats - normally I would say past history doesn't mean anything except Hou still hasn't played in a game like this before, esp their QB. A big Monday Night game in the spot light against one of the prime teams in the league in a game that you might have to face again. The outcome of this game might also affect possible home field advantage for these two teams. That's a lot of pressure and truthfully we don't know how Hou will react, but we do know how the Pats react. The Pats still have a young team but for the most part a good majority of these players have been in games like this before. There is a less likelihood of them biting the bit in this situation, given their past record. One thing about recent past records is they won't predict a game but they give you an idea of how a particular team handles those games (do they crumble or thrive)

That's a fair point to an extent. But i would disagree to the notion that we know how the Pats will react. 2009, the team absolutely folded against the Saints. 2010 they absolutely obliterated the Jets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Houston by 10 thats my pick...

Patriots by 10... thats my pick!  The O line will do just fine, no way a dome team goes to Gillette and beats the Patriots who have not lost a December home game since 2002.  I am sure both teams will be pumped up for this game but it's going to be the experience of BB and TFB at home that is going to put together a game like a freaking masterpiece!!  Prepare for the Patriots to show the Texans what a top team is all about!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

My favorite part of this is this sky is falling character wondering why Brady was sacked 4 times, the O Line only appeared shaky and why Brady ended up throwing 40 times with a lead the entire game.

I say the odds of the offense being run poorly 2 weeks in a row with Bolden back in the fold, are BAD.

For NE to lose this game at home, they'd have to lay an egg completeyt and/or have a poorly run offense 2 weeks in a row. 

NE is 10-1 in their last 11 Monday night games, haven't lost at home in December since 2005 (Miami, Week 17) and are 20-0 in December in the last 5 seasons.

Throw in the fact Houston is hurting on D, doesn't match up well with how their run their D against an offense like this, and the odds are against them.   GB sliced and diced them for a reason.

A couple of things.

Past history on MNF has no bearing on this game. How they did against the Vikings in 2005 on MNF makes no difference in this game. The teams are mostly different. So their MNf record shouldn't be an argument on why they might win this game.

Same thing with December home win streaks. They're bound to end. Who is the toughest opponent theyve had in Dec the last couple of years? Honest question, I dont remember any big games (other than maybe the 9-3 Jets vs 9-3 Pats in 2010).

After thinking about it for a bit, GB game is somewhat irrelevant. GB's offense operated more with the deeper  passes as they have 2 pretty good deep threats (Nelson and Cobb) HOU's claim to fame on defense is swatting the ball. You can't swat deep passes as the trajectory of the ball is too high. NE's pass offense is predicated on the short pass, which HOU will have a chance to swat the ball.

I don't think this offense will fare as well as GB's, but I do think it will do better than Denver. Jax and Det had field days against this offense but I'll give HOU the benefit of the doubt for now and say they played down to their opponent.

Mercilus also seems better suited as a pass rusher than Reed. Looking at what they have at ILB, gronk would have been such a huge asset.

I fully expect both teams to bring their A game. How they block Watt is the obvious key. Barwin has been an utter disappointment this season. If Hou can't get pressure without blitzing, then I like NE's chances of winning

Agree. I agree it has no bearing. I just think they're interesting stats and when you play the odds up against that and BB having an extra day to prepare, knowing what this game means, and the odds of NE's offense being as poor as it was last week, I think it favors NE.

I feel Solder can handle Mercilus just fine by his lonesome and Vollmer can get some help from Connolly/McDonald or Cannon at RG and/or a chipping TE like Fells.

Throw in Bolden back in the mix, and we hopefully see more of what we saw earlier this year with keeping a TE back to help the run game go.

TOP will be huge in this one since Houston leads the league by a mile with a gaudy 36 minutes.

Running it for us, chews clock on them. Of course, the millisecond I see what I saw last week on offense in the first half, the quicker I'll realize we'll lose. 

Solder on Mercilus? I haven't watched enough Texans games, but I thought Barwin was on that side. I was expecting Solder on Barwin and Vollmer on Mercilus

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Patriots 38 - 17

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd feel better with a healthy offensive line and Gronk, but hopefully that will come soon enough...just wish it was right now so we could put Houston in their place.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

we lose edelman, but get jones and mankins back.....this team hasnt been 100% healthy since week one...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

A couple of things.

Agree. I agree it has no bearing. I just think they're interesting stats and when you play the odds up against that and BB having an extra day to prepare, knowing what this game means, and the odds of NE's offense being as poor as it was last week, I think it favors NE.

I feel Solder can handle Mercilus just fine by his lonesome and Vollmer can get some help from Connolly/McDonald or Cannon at RG and/or a chipping TE like Fells.

Throw in Bolden back in the mix, and we hopefully see more of what we saw earlier this year with keeping a TE back to help the run game go.

TOP will be huge in this one since Houston leads the league by a mile with a gaudy 36 minutes.

Running it for us, chews clock on them. Of course, the millisecond I see what I saw last week on offense in the first half, the quicker I'll realize we'll lose. 

Solder on Mercilus? I haven't watched enough Texans games, but I thought Barwin was on that side. I was expecting Solder on Barwin and Vollmer on Mercilus

He subs for Barwin. I was more talking about the strategy where I think Solder can be fine on his own, but VOllmer will need help as good as Vollmer is.

Solder is very good. I know it's very popular to bash any draft pick here by BB especially if they aren't an owner of a SB ring, but Solder will be fine in one 1-1s vs Barwin or Mercilus on that weak side.

Subs for Barwin? I thought he was starting for the injured Brooks Reed. Who is the other starting OLB then?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

A couple of things.

He subs for Barwin. I was more talking about the strategy where I think Solder can be fine on his own, but VOllmer will need help as good as Vollmer is.

Solder is very good. I know it's very popular to bash any draft pick here by BB especially if they aren't an owner of a SB ring, but Solder will be fine in one 1-1s vs Barwin or Mercilus on that weak side.

Subs for Barwin? I thought he was starting for the injured Brooks Reed. Who is the other starting OLB then?

He may now be starting, yes. I haven't look at their games in the last couple weeks since Reed got hurt on Thanksgiving.

I don't know why this is so confusing for you. I clearly stated that the weak side should be fine without a need for a double team.

I'm not confused. I'm pretty sure Barwin is on the weakside and Mercilus is on the strong side. I said earlier, that mercilus will be a tougher matchup than Reed. I'm more worried about Mercilus vs. Vollmer than Reed vs. Vollmer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Tell you what, how's about a little gentleman's wager of, say, $200, on your Houston by 10 pick? We'll correspond by email and, for payment, the honor system of reporting on this board will be our arbiter.

Shall I assume you're down?

Sections
Shortcuts