Edelman... the 7 Million Dollar Man ?? What??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Edelman... the 7 Million Dollar Man ?? What??

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's no chance that JE11 would be back in Foxboro if some team were offering $7M per season.  For that kind of coin, I'd much rather see them target a potential impact S like TJ Ward or Jairus Byrd.

[/QUOTE]

+1

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's tough. He has them where he wants them. Stop what you are doing, and now imagine last season without Edelman.

Revisit the decision. $7 million sounds like too much (it is) but the rest of the corps are question marks.

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to envision an O line that doesn't allow Brady to get sacked more than double the amount of times Peyton did.

Then I'm going to envision Dobson and Boyce becoming the deep threat that we all know they can be because TB has that extra second or two to go downfield rather than stake his life on a slot game as he only has 2 seconds to throw.

I'm telling ya...I'm gonna beat this fix the O and D line thing like a red headed step child as it makes the Patriots take a quantum leap in performance....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

.....Speaking of the jets, you mention they have tons of cap room...now a lot has been said of the jet's wild spending ways...yet now a year later they have "lots of cap room". Kind of kills the old "salary cap hell" debate. Imagine that? Years of irresponsible spending and a year later they are golden in terms of salary cap space? Good thing for us they never had a quaterback when they were spending wildly.

Sure, if you are OK with forfeiting a year every now and then, you can spend, spend, spend and not worry about it. Lots of people live that way, get into debt, work their way out of it, repeat the same cycle. Rinse and repeat.

Or you can manage it responsibly and avoid splurging on the latest toys (and finishing 7-9 either way, if you're the NYJ), live within your means and never have to take that year off. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Anyone who pays 7 million for Edelman is a fool. Brady made him what he is today, unless Brees or Manning or Rivers gets a hold off him.

Houston, Cincy, Miami, Jets would be foolish to make such a deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Don't rule out Denver, especially if they walk from Welker and his $8 mil cap hit.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

That's tough. He has them where he wants them. Stop what you are doing, and now imagine last season without Edelman.

Revisit the decision. $7 million sounds like too much (it is) but the rest of the corps are question marks.

[/QUOTE]

BB has slowly but surely put himself between a rock and a hard place. People don't get that every high draft pick is precious, and when you squander them, you need even better decisions to try and make up for the previous poor ones. FAR far far too many swings and misses for BB. He has put himself in very deep doo doo through his poor choices. Eventually, it all adds up. He has holes all over the place because of his repeated attempts at fixing previous flops causing a neglect of other areas.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm going to envision an O line that doesn't allow Brady to get sacked more than double the amount of times Peyton did.

Then I'm going to envision Dobson and Boyce becoming the deep threat that we all know they can be because TB has that extra second or two to go downfield rather than stake his life on a slot game as he only has 2 seconds to throw.

I'm telling ya...I'm gonna beat this fix the O and D line thing like a red headed step child as it makes the Patriots take a quantum leap in performance....

[/QUOTE]

BB has created several houses of cards with his decisions. Multiple areas are suspect and only an unbelievable series of pulling rabbits out of hats can rectify the instability. I don't see a snowball's chance in hell of that happening considering the track record.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

+1

Edelman stepped up when most did not think he would even perform close to what he did last season.  This place was such an "oh woe is us" fan forum with the departure of WW.

Where else would the Pats throw $7M a year for a high caliber WR who is available?  Amazing how some here may want to throw that money at an unproven, high draft rookie WR, potential being the only measure. but not a player that has shown he came here to play and produced?  I am not saying Edeleman is worth $7M and I do not see any walking in that door right now.

Lastly, I do find it amusing how fans discuss how much a player should be paid.  Just imagine how any of us would feel if our salaries were discussed like this with some comments being made to the point we aren't worth the money we feel we are.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

I really think the Pats part with him. They still have Moe. And they can draft Wimberly who is available on the third day/ FA. 

If those numbers are anywhere close to Edelman's projected contract, I think the Pats move on without him. It's a shame because he's a dynamic PR and a better slot guy than Amendola.

I'm not sold on Moe even making the roster next year (liked Curly better).

[/QUOTE]

Dynamic Punt returner??  I don't think he is.

I like that he is willing to do anything asked of him.  Hate to see him go, especially if Amendola can't stay on the field and isn't being the receiver many thought he would be.  But with the Amendola contract I just don't see both these guys making that type of money especially when I think they need to bring someone else in who is a more experienced mid to deep field receiver.   

[/QUOTE]

Edleman is tied with Devon Hester for the top career average yards per punt return among active players at 12.3 yards per return.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

There is quite a bit of talent in the FA WR market this year. I see several names here that could be effective here.

We have enough rookie WR that WILL be better this season. A crafty vet or two is what the Dr ordered.

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=WR&Year=2014

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

There is quite a bit of talent in the FA WR market this year. I see several names here that could be effective here.

We have enough rookie WR that WILL be better this season. A crafty vet or two is what the Dr ordered.

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=WR&Year=2014

We are on the same page.

They need to let him go for anything over 3.7 mil per year and go with the young guys.

If they want to go out and get another TE or big target but don't pay too much seem reasonable.

Put the $$ into the O line and maybe sign Blount then go work on the defense...mostly D line.

TB will score points with a variety of weapons and the only reason the running game won't work is if the defense does not get the other offense off the field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

[QUOTE]

+1

Edelman stepped up when most did not think he would even perform close to what he did last season.  This place was such an "oh woe is us" fan forum with the departure of WW.

Where else would the Pats throw $7M a year for a high caliber WR who is available?  Amazing how some here may want to throw that money at an unproven, high draft rookie WR, potential being the only measure. but not a player that has shown he came here to play and produced?  I am not saying Edeleman is worth $7M and I do not see any walking in that door right now.

Lastly, I do find it amusing how fans discuss how much a player should be paid.  Just imagine how any of us would feel if our salaries were discussed like this with some comments being made to the point we aren't worth the money we feel we are.

[/QUOTE]

I thinking the same thing.  I just posted in the Denver salary cap hell thread and I'm thinking "I can't believe I spending Sunday morning counting someone else's money"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

I thinking the same thing.  I just posted in the Denver salary cap hell thread and I'm think "I can't believe I spending Sunday morning counting someone else's money"

[/QUOTE]

It's too cold to play golf right now....  at least I am working the "gray" matter!  (-;

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Oh Amendola the gift that keeps on giving. Let's revisit last offseason where a good number of people on this board were saying:

• how great the contract was
    • how much better Amendola was than Welker
    • how it's BB's system to pay a little less for the same production because it's about the system and not the player
    • How Amendola was clutch
    • That there is no such thing as injury prone players

Now lets look at it:

• Amendola was injured all year
    • Amendola dropped the one pass he got in the AFFCG
    • Amendola put up half the numbers Welker did here
    • Rumors Amendola might be cut (if he's cut any time in the next 2 years his contract was essentially the same was worse than what Welker got from Den)
    • Edelman now has a bench mark to say I want this contract or I walk

What could have been:

• Welker would have put up just as many numbers, most likely more in NE
    • Welker contract was 2 years and coud have been dumped after this year with less dead money than Amendola
    • Edelman would not have Amendola's contract to start negotiations with
    • Edelman would have less stats this year with Welker playing so his contract demands would have been lower

It's like a bad play over and over again with this team. Pay a little less for retreads/injury history/locker room issue players than for solid reliable talent, watch them fail and get dumped, eat dead money and spend more resources to cover up for it, rinse and repeat. It's happened with the WR core in 06', it happened with CB's for what now feels like forever, it happened with DE/DT.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Maybe incentive laden is the answer. Games played and recpetions as big components.

[/QUOTE]

Incentive laden only works if there isn't anoth team willing to give him more upfront without the incentives (even if the incentives add up to more than the other team offered). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

You realize those statements contradict each other. On one hand you are saying fans who said to keep Welker because he was known in our system are "woe is us" fans and then in the next breath say you have to sign known players in the system because unknown rooks or FA's only show potential.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Here's how you pay Edelman $7 mil a year: 4 years $28 mil, $10 mil guaranteed ($8 mil signing bonus plus first year salary fully guaranteed).  

Salary                    Cap Hit                      Dead

2014       2 mil                      4.5 mil                       10 mil                                    

2015       3 mil                      5.5 mil                        6 mil      

2016       5 mil                      7.5 mil                        4 mil                      

2017       10 mil                    12.5 mil                       2 mil

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

It's tough to pay a guy that much money when he has only made it through one season and had 69 receptions and 4 tds in 4 seasons before last year. Amendola, had 196 receptions and 7 tds in the same time frame but played with bad QB's. I like Amendola to have a big year next year getting Edelmans targets. 

I really like Julian, just like Welker, and Woodhead, but that is the problem when you have a great team who goes to afc championship games every year, your guys get stolen to other teams. Welcome to the salary cap era. 

If we are gonna pay a receiver 7 million per, give it to Decker, or sign Maclin for a fraction of the cost and give the money to Byrd or Ward. Randy Mosses and Wes Welkers don't win you Super Bowls.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's tough to pay a guy that much money when he has only made it through one season and had 69 receptions and 4 tds in 4 seasons before last year. Amendola, had 196 receptions and 7 tds in the same time frame but played with bad QB's. I like Amendola to have a big year next year getting Edelmans targets. 

I really like Julian, just like Welker, and Woodhead, but that is the problem when you have a great team who goes to afc championship games every year, your guys get stolen to other teams. Welcome to the salary cap era. 

If we are gonna pay a receiver 7 million per, give it to Decker, or sign Maclin for a fraction of the cost and give the money to Byrd or Ward. Randy Mosses and Wes Welkers don't win you Super Bowls.

[/QUOTE]

I always enjoy reading smart posters.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I prefer reading the dumbasses and trolls. Makes me feel better about myself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

You realize those statements contradict each other. On one hand you are saying fans who said to keep Welker because he was known in our system are "woe is us" fans and then in the next breath say you have to sign known players in the system because unknown rooks or FA's only show potential.

[/QUOTE]

What I meant by "oh woe is us" is how this fan base laments the actions the team has taken not to keep key players we have all come to enjoy and desire to remain on the team.  The fans do not control that.  Of course, fans here would like to see the Pats retain key players who have shown their worth.  How many here want to see Edelman go, for example?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I prefer reading the dumbasses and trolls. Makes me feel better about myself.

[/QUOTE]

.. are you saying its fun to feel "smart"?  Sometimes that can come easily here..  (-;

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

What I meant by "oh woe is us" is how this fan base laments the actions the team has taken not to keep key players we have all come to enjoy and desire to remain on the team.  The fans do not control that.  Of course, fans here would like to see the Pats retain key players who have shown their worth.  How many here want to see Edelman go, for example?

[/QUOTE]

My bad, I misunderstood. Yes I agree most fans want to keep players they have known for a while. I understand you can't keep them all but when you let them go for $.5mil (Woodhead) and $1mil (Welker) difference in price (for that year) you really have to question the move. Esp, when you already have issues finding players that fit your system.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I really like Edelman.  

But, I'm with TrueChamp on this where I would rather see that money go elsewhere.

One other factor to consider.  Brady will have to break in another new receiver and if this newbie doesn't have enough brains or esp to know where Brady expects him to be then he's not going to get the ball thrown to him.  In fact, Brady won't even look his way if it happens enough times.

Atleast we know that he trusts Eds.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Per WEEI... Link

Feb 5, 2014

We discuss the Patriots off-season moves with NFL Media's Ian Rapoport, who believes the interest in Julien Edelman from some teams will be substantial enough to possibly push his annual salary in the 6-7 million range.

================

Seriously?  After 1 good season? Tough spot for the Pats to be in.

Top 5 punt returner in NFL, top 5 receiver in NFL during this past season. Great year. Based on history, hard to believe the PATS would be willing to spend $7-mil to keep him. BUT, I hope Bill finds a way to make it work at a price that both sides can live with. JE's level of versatility is rare. The PAT's offensive needs must be filled THIS YEAR if Tom is to have a real shot at another trophy. Tough decision. I believe this offseason will prove to be Bill's defining year as a GM. Go gett'm BB!!!