Edelman... the 7 Million Dollar Man ?? What??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Edelman... the 7 Million Dollar Man ?? What??

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

I heare ya TFB. One thing for sire.....We find out what kinda GM Bill is. He's gonna have to do his best job ever to figure all of these decision out. Should be fun to watch. 

No doubt about it RallyC.  It is going to be very interesting this off season.  The Pats really have to go for it here.  Unfortunately I think it will take losing Wilfork in order to do so.  I think a few good tweeks and the Pats are right there again in the AFCCG.  But regardless who goes to the SB from the AFC, the NFC is going to be very tough to beat with the Seahawks and 49'ers.

Agreed. Vince's only real attribute now is his leadership. Not that its not important, but if he is able to rehab well enough to compete, if doesn't do what it takes to stay financially.....GOTTA GO. 

Rally, I disagree. There is no reason why Vince cant come back 100%. He has the recovery time and work ethic. 

I do expect him back on a new deal, and to play well next year. Ditto Kelly. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I heare ya TFB. One thing for sire.....We find out what kinda GM Bill is. He's gonna have to do his best job ever to figure all of these decision out. Should be fun to watch. 

No doubt about it RallyC.  It is going to be very interesting this off season.  The Pats really have to go for it here.  Unfortunately I think it will take losing Wilfork in order to do so.  I think a few good tweeks and the Pats are right there again in the AFCCG.  But regardless who goes to the SB from the AFC, the NFC is going to be very tough to beat with the Seahawks and 49'ers.

The reason they can not resign Edelman is because of the signing of Amendola. It has hamstrung them. If they cut Wilfork which i do not mind because of cap space.. The only concern he bolts to the jets. I think vince will structure his contract , give the team some relief. I have this bad feeling edelman is going to the jets. The team can not expect Mayo or Vince to come back and everything is going to be all right. This is not a physical defense. They have holes to fill and thats not including the Talib problem. I like decker but he is looking for 15 m guarenteed. If he did not want to pay welker or edelman can't see them paying decker. Amendola is a mistake, he will get injured again. Can't beat a number 2 or 3 corner on a normal basis.. Is always injured and now we either have to cut someone who could still be a little productive to sign JE. It makes no sense but at this stage nothing does.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

Agreed. Vince's only real attribute now is his leadership. Not that its not important, but if he is able to rehab well enough to compete, if doesn't do what it takes to stay financially.....GOTTA GO. 

Rally, I disagree. There is no reason why Vince cant come back 100%. He has the recovery time and work ethic. 

His weight being at 320 lbs might make it a little of a problem. If he does not restructure and BB CUTS him. They better use the money on somebody else good. I do not want a depth player for 1M AND THE MONEY GETS POCKETED.  Brady has three years left of great or good play . This is not the time for BB to out smart himself. They are past that stage well the head coach did alot with little, well my point is he should not have to. JMO. Okay people feel free to attack me i can take it lol.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

It may not be popular the Pats need to resist making 2 signings. Julian Edleman as much I like him and McCourty. Edleman well because you already committed to Danny and dont we have enough dead money from cut players?

McCourty because he IS NOT worth that kind of money. For what they ask of him, they just could plug Harmon in or draft a FS. For 8mill/year you better be a playmaker. McCourty # 1 , isnt asked to be one and when he has the chance he drops him.(3 late season INTs in his hands and dropped)  Only guy that gets paid in the back end is Talib.

Triple please tell me you didn't say that. You can't plug just anyone in we've learned that by now. What makes you feel Harmon can take over for McCourty? The few times we saw Harmon in that role his best was McCourty's average and his worst got him benched. Switching out McCourty for Harmon would be a downgrade and who knows where that money they saved would go (just ask Brady).  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

Although I respect Rappoport, when it's all said and done, whoever his source are in this discussion, will likely be wrong.

At best, it's an AFC GM or two looking to drive price on the Pats. It's pretty clear where Edelman's value is at its highest, which is here with Brady in this system. 

Any team willing to go that high would need to have some things going for it:

1. A desperate need to improve their WR and PR positions.

2. An elite, top 5 QB.

3. Their team already built with contract control of base system players.

Welker just proved why a player in that mold isn't a high salaried WR in this league.

That said, another team might be dumb, but it's going to take more than one team to bid to show the market exists.

Also, the argument that Amendola's contract forces NE to go higher is not really legit. It's a solid barometer, but Edelman has only played one full season in his career.  More money guaranteed and stability over the life of the deal shoud be enough.

For example, Amendola is only guaranteed through 2014 here. Everything else is really incentive based with NE having control of the deal.  I don't think some people here ever really read the facts about contracts. They just spew lies and regurgitate what the anti-BB media says.

Would you sign Edelman if yes who would you restructure. If no then who would you sign.  I don't know the contract of his, i was not the lawyer or agent, but would amendola redo his contract.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

Edleman is tied with Devon Hester for the top career average yards per punt return among active players at 12.3 yards per return.

Come on, really?  Is this a big deal?  Look at his punt return stats and I just don't understand why people think his punt return stats are a big deal.  They aren't!!

A 12.3 lifetime average... Is that really a big deal compared to a player who has an 11 or 10 yard average?  Are those 1 or 2 yards really a big deal, LOL??  If he led the league in returns for td's or his averages were like 10+ yards better then everyone else then keep the beast!  But that isn't the case.  His punt return stats are no big deal.

Edelman ave this past season was 10.7 yards, ranked 12 out of qualified players, 24th out of all players and he didn't have a TD return this past season. 

2012 Edelman only had 17 returns, so his average was high at 15, and 1 td.  But Leodis McKelvin had 23 returns for an ave of 18.7 yards and had 2 td's.  Dwane Harris had 22 returns with an ave of 16.1 yards and he had 1 td. 

So you say Edelman is tied with Hester in average yards at 12.3, what is the big deal?  Hester has 13 td's in 8 years, Edelman has 3 td's in 5 years. 

People making a big deal about Edelman's punt return stats, when they really aren't a big deal.  Now if you say he is the best on the team and offers the dual role and nobody else can return punts then we are talking, but if you are saying keep him because he leads the league in averages of 12.3 yards then LMAO, the numbers and stats show that is a very, very weak argument.

I didn't make a big deal.  I just stated a fact that you apparently did not know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to bostatewarrior's comment:

I didn't make a big deal.  I just stated a fact that you apparently did not know.

Everyone throws that lifetime average into this discussion, like it means anything...It doesn't.  Of course I knew about it, but it's a dumb, meaningless stat.  It's 12.3 yards, lol!  Many people have 11, 10 ave lifetime so really what is a couple of yards??  If it was like 20 or 25 lifetime average and everyone else is 10, then we are talking serious numbers, but 12.3???  That is just a silly stat.  Look at other players punt return numbers over the last few few years and compare to Edelman.  No big deal, imo. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

People forget that Welker was offered more money than that from a non-contending team.  Wes wanted to play for a contender.  Edelman might just want to get paid (and yes I realize Welker had a stronger track record, but Edelman is younger and isn't just limited to the slot).  I have no idea what Edelman's market will look like, but it only takes one team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Rkarp, A 320lb man returning from a torn achillies at the age of 33  is not even close to being a sure thing. Given that 66% of the players who suffer the same injury NEVER return, I'd say that there is plenty of reason as to why Vince might not make it back. It is HEAVILY against the odds, first of all. And, Vince post achilles 'back at 100%' is relative, to be kind. If you are saying 100% of who he was in 2013 prior to his achilles injury, then you aren't saying much at all. In the 4-games before the injury, Vince had 4 tackles, 5 assits for a total of 9 and an average of 2-per game. At that rate, Vince would have had a whopping 16-tackles TOTAL in 2013. VW is as big as a VW and must rehab a flat tire that must hold up and drive half of his obesely large body. Not to mention the counter force of another 300lb man with healthy legs pushing aginst his at the same time. THATS OVER 600lbs of force against the smallest part of his body aside from his wrists. Really, no matter how much of a work ethic or time, we will NEVER see the VW that we saw before 2013 again. He already was nearly done before the injury that ends 66% of all who suffer it. Bye Vince, WE LOVE YOU, Thanks for the memories. With all due respect, his money will be spent well in other areas. He better take a huge pay restructuring if he wants to wear an Elvis embossed helmet ever again with an emphasis on IF he can make it back to the field. its not insensitive, its reality.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'd move in a different direction.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Rkarp, A 320lb man returning from a torn achillies at the age of 33  is not even close to being a sure thing. Given that 66% of the players who suffer the same injury NEVER return, I'd say that there is plenty of reason as to why Vince might not make it back. It is HEAVILY against the odds, first of all. And, Vince post achilles 'back at 100%' is relative, to be kind. If you are saying 100% of who he was in 2013 prior to his achilles injury, then you aren't saying much at all. In the 4-games before the injury, Vince had 4 tackles, 5 assits for a total of 9 and an average of 2-per game. At that rate, Vince would have had a whopping 16-tackles TOTAL in 2013. VW is as big as a VW and must rehab a flat tire that must hold up and drive half of his obesely large body. Not to mention the counter force of another 300lb man with healthy legs pushing aginst his at the same time. THATS OVER 600lbs of force against the smallest part of his body aside from his wrists. Really, no matter how much of a work ethic or time, we will NEVER see the VW that we saw before 2013 again. He already was nearly done before the injury that ends 66% of all who suffer it. Bye Vince, WE LOVE YOU, Thanks for the memories. With all due respect, his money will be spent well in other areas. He better take a huge pay restructuring if he wants to wear an Elvis embossed helmet ever again with an emphasis on IF he can make it back to the field. its not insensitive, its reality.

rkarp - I haven't agreed on much with RallyC but I gotta agree with him on this.  On the 60 minute Sports show on Showtime they also mentioned the statistic RallyC mentions in his post... "nearly 66 percent of players who suffer an Achilles injury do not come back or return at a lesser level."  At his age, his weight the amount of pressure and torque that is going to be put on that ankle during drills, practice, games, I just don't see it holding up.  As much as I like Big Vince I am afraid his playing days are very limited. IF he makes it back, I don't think he ever finishes another season.  It's time to let the big fellow go.  I would really like to see him retire and take a coaching job with the Pats.  He traveled with the team on game days and was there on the sidelines so I think that says a lot right there. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Rkarp, A 320lb man returning from a torn achillies at the age of 33  is not even close to being a sure thing. Given that 66% of the players who suffer the same injury NEVER return, I'd say that there is plenty of reason as to why Vince might not make it back. It is HEAVILY against the odds, first of all. And, Vince post achilles 'back at 100%' is relative, to be kind. If you are saying 100% of who he was in 2013 prior to his achilles injury, then you aren't saying much at all. In the 4-games before the injury, Vince had 4 tackles, 5 assits for a total of 9 and an average of 2-per game. At that rate, Vince would have had a whopping 16-tackles TOTAL in 2013. VW is as big as a VW and must rehab a flat tire that must hold up and drive half of his obesely large body. Not to mention the counter force of another 300lb man with healthy legs pushing aginst his at the same time. THATS OVER 600lbs of force against the smallest part of his body aside from his wrists. Really, no matter how much of a work ethic or time, we will NEVER see the VW that we saw before 2013 again. He already was nearly done before the injury that ends 66% of all who suffer it. Bye Vince, WE LOVE YOU, Thanks for the memories. With all due respect, his money will be spent well in other areas. He better take a huge pay restructuring if he wants to wear an Elvis embossed helmet ever again with an emphasis on IF he can make it back to the field. its not insensitive, its reality.

rkarp - I haven't agreed on much with RallyC but I gotta agree with him on this.  On the 60 minute Sports show on Showtime they also mentioned the statistic RallyC mentions in his post... "nearly 66 percent of players who suffer an Achilles injury do not come back or return at a lesser level."  At his age, his weight the amount of pressure and torque that is going to be put on that ankle during drills, practice, games, I just don't see it holding up.  As much as I like Big Vince I am afraid his playing days are very limited. IF he makes it back, I don't think he ever finishes another season.  It's time to let the big fellow go.  I would really like to see him retire and take a coaching job with the Pats.  He traveled with the team on game days and was there on the sidelines so I think that says a lot right there. 

Taking a coaching position would be NIRVANA. He is unquestionably one of the ALL TIME leaders of the NE Patriots and has the undying respect of everyone in the organization. My hopes are that he does exactly as TFB implies and bows out gracefully. The man has nothing more to prove and can really step in where help is needed, defensive front coaching. Based on his reputation as a hard worker, a great leader, and committed winner, he appears to be a perfect candidate for such a position. We shall see if it fits for him soon enough. WIN WIN.

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts