Edelman visiting Giants?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Edelman visiting Giants?

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

This is interesting.  While I have never been really high on Edelman I think he was a good backup to have.  He has a a ton of heart and willing to play anywhere and do anything to just get some time on the field.  He certainly isn't a starting receiver but I would like to keep him if he can stay for a fairly cheap price.

the only thing i know about edelman is when welker first came up for FA and was franchised the "how dare he not kiss the pats ***" crowd were saying to let him walk because edelman could do what welker does and step right in as a replacement

funny then, hilarious now

What's funnier is your rebuilding Giants in cap hell just let Hixon walk. lol

Quite the offseason, huh?

oh no domenic hixon?! there goes at least 4 wins next year!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

IF and I say this emphatically if!!! Edelman signs with the G-men then the Patriots should offer Cruz  a monster contract and send their 1rst round pick to NYG!! It would trump the loss of WW to Denver...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

IF and I say this emphatically if!!! Edelman signs with the G-men then the Patriots should offer Cruz  a monster contract and send their 1rst round pick to NYG!! It would trump the loss of WW to Denver...

not only would the giants not take the cruz for 1st round offer but the pats will never offer anyone a "monster" contract...u know this has zero chance of happening

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Amendola. Show Brady2Amendola's posts

Nooooo just when Edelman was starting to get involved in the offense were gonna lose him! I think he did a pretty good job last year, I wanna see him back in NE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

not only would the giants not take the cruz for 1st round offer but the pats will never offer anyone a "monster" contract...u know this has zero chance of happening

How much Cap space do the G-men have? Just have to offer enough to make it an impossibility for them to match on the offer sheet G-men have the opportunity to match it,but if they can't the Patriots only have to give them a 1rst round pick. End of conversation no extras.He's a RFA with a 1rst round tender. Do I think it will happen I give it about a 1% chance of happening!  After reading the the NFLPA's list of Cap space for the G-men they don't have much. 4.5 mil and they have to allot x amount of money to rookies and additional money for team expenses it's why they didn't try and re-sign Hixon. If any team with capspace wanted to they could easily snake Cruz away from the G-men! Simple fact is all a team with the space too exceed the 4.5 in availible capspace for this year could acquire Cruz by simply excepting the high cap hit and offering Cruz more than the G-men have offered which from all reports is 7 mil per. So 8 mil with a cap hit of 4.5 puts the G-men on the outside looking at receivers in the draft and an additional 1rst round pk. I personally think the Giants will resign him but strnger  things have happened.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Washington will make up for any loss in production in STs and given Jones and Amendola I don't think we need another injury prone WR in the core. Need to add some durable depth and a #2 right now.

point; but backups at teh end of the roster if no one signs him might be a good idea in case of injuries

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Washington will make up for any loss in production in STs and given Jones and Amendola I don't think we need another injury prone WR in the core. Need to add some durable depth and a #2 right now.

LOL Eng you know what is going to happen right?

Pats are going to draft a WR or TWO who fall into that "reliable/durable" category you are always pontificating about. With valid cause I might add.

We will all be excited.

They will both go down to season ending injuries before the season starts. LOL

It's like the guy preparing for the flood, preparing, preparing, every contingency plan covered for the flood then the house burns down or a tree falls on it. Haha.

ive been on the same road for a while myself (redraftign the wrs)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I thought he was making some strides as a receiver last year, but then he got hurt again. Personally I don't think this guy will ever be anything more than an injury waiting to happen...some guys are built for this...some are not.

point

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

Good luck to him.  I believe we can upgrade him at wr and Washington will be jag on special teams.  I never bought into the camp he's a backup QB. The marginal guys we need to upgrade.  Woody, edleman, etc.  bb is going to raid udfa and camp cuts. 

very good points

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

anyone at camp last summer could easily see Edelmn was the Pats best WR and was a beast. quick like Wes, fast, caught everything, had chemistry with TB. c/b as good as Amendola if he gets the opp. Pats are crazy if they lose this guy for $1.0-$1.2M

i suggested signing him and woody for this low money as part of off season moves.

maybe bb sees no room at the back of the roster this year??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to proftom2's comment:

Fun player to watch, hope nothing but the best for him. Was never sure how he fit into the Pats plans. 

bit of a bad luck omen, with the injuries, esp after given more opportunies and then rolling up on hern and hurting him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

I like Edelman, would be nice to have him back. He'll fit in well with Amendola, just a couple of dudes chilling on the IR.

Good one!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Jints putting together a very nice offense. Nicks, Cruz and they used a #2 on Randle last year. They also signed as a free agent Myers, who could be a 100 catch TE with Eli. They also signed their own OL free agent.  If they also sign Edelman....w/b a very, very good offense.

I see they also signed Mike Patterson at DL...but did not see his $$$. Anyone catch the $$$ yet?? Curious to know if the Pats kicked the tires...

Salary cap hell?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

Julian Edelman - WR - Patriots

Free agent WR Julian Edelman is visiting the Giants.

It's the first we've heard of Edelman since the start of free agency. The local media has been expecting Edelman to re-sign with the Patriots, but ESPN Boston believes the broken foot that landed him on injured reserve last December has been stalling his market. Edelman may be steamed the Pats signed Danny Amendola to replace Wes Welker instead of giving him a chance in the slot, but he'd have more depth-chart climbing to do in New York than New England.

Why the question mark about Edelman visiting the Giants?? It's a fact. Edelman would likely get more opportunities to shine with the WR challenged Pats, than the Giants. The G-men might have brought Edelman in merely as a negotiating tactic. They are currently locked in difficult contract negotiations with their star slot receiver, Victor Cruz...who is a restricted FA. Perhaps the Giants brought Edelman in to plant the seed in the mind of Cruz and his agent that they may be ready to move on to a "Plan B".     

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think that his concussion will come back to haunt him. If he's getting more snaps its only a matter of time he gets hurt bad again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

With free-agent receiver Julian Edelman visiting the Giants tonight and Thursday, and the possibility of a return to the Patriots still in the cards, let's compare the two situations from Edelman's perspective.

As noted by Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPNNewYork.com, the Giants have "Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Rueben Randle, Jerrel Jernigan and Louis Murphy, but can use another receiver. Edelman would give the Giants an experienced returner on punts and kickoffs and a player who can excel in the slot and provide insurance if anything were to happen with [Victor] Cruz, who is a restricted free agent."

Meanwhile, the Patriots have Danny Amendola, Donald Jones, Michael Jenkins, Matthew Slater, Kamar Aiken, Andre Holmes and Jeremy Ebert at receiver. There is a widespread expectation that the Patriots will add to the position, either in free agency or the draft, and that's why the door hasn't been closed on Edelman's return.

Edelman would also be the Patriots' top punt returner if he came back to the team (15.5-yard average in 2012), as he's proven to be one of the NFL's most dynamic threats in that area. If not, Leon Washington (8.7 average in 2012) could get the nod.

With both teams, Edelman wouldn't project as the top slot receiver -- Cruz locks down that spot in New York, and Amendola has been tapped to fill the void created by Wes Welker's departure. The only way that could change is if Cruz doesn't sign as a restricted free agent (similar to Patriots offensive lineman Logan Mankins in 2010), but it would be risky for Edelman to rely on something like that.

So if Edelman is ultimately deciding between the Giants and Patriots, it would likely come down to which team he feels offers the best opportunity as an outside receiver within its scheme. The Patriots probably have the slight edge if that's the case, as they often played Edelman outside in 2012, although one shouldn't discount a potential strong Giants sales pitch.

As always, money also figures to be a consideration.

Writes Youngmisuk, "The Patriots might be able to offer more than the Giants, who have been looking to sign productive free agents for minimum-type deals."

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Getting the Welker complex, trying to play poker with BB. I'd like to have him, but 2 years in a row he's gone down with injuries. That could be why BB is not showing him the money.