Edelman = Welker

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Edelman = Welker

They aren't remotely close to the same level.

The difference is:  Tom Brady.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

Whoa....Maybe this board is acting weird? That literally posted by itself..

Let me continue..

So, after Edelman became a top notch Special Teams ace, settling into the status as best punt returner in NFL history this year, able to turn a game around at any moment, he's also become a very good WR in this league.

He does everything Welker would do and more.  

1. He can behind defenses deep.

2. He's tough.

3. He can line up on the outside or inside and be equally effective.

4. He is effective on plays in the shotgun or when Brady is under center.

5. He's a very good blocker.

The bonus with all of this is not only his current price tag, but his humble attitude, no apparent ego and the fact Brady isn't fixated on him every week within the gameplan.

Personally, I feel walking from Welkie does a lot in terms of upping our odds that we won't have a drippy offense in an AFC Title game or SB this year, if we make it.

In a nutshell, we get the Welkie plays when we need it, but our offense is less predictable.

Discuss:

PS Thanks again, BB.

whats that mean in bold?  I disagree that he is equally effective outside in comparison to inside and Wes is just at tough. Other than that, Im glad that we are in the situation we are in. I would approach Amendola about a paycut in the offseason though and mention how they have to sign Edleman too and how he played in more games. Dont like it? Cut him and find another slot. They are dime a dozen.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

To a point. Like NAS said TB makes both these guys prolific. He'll diagnose a D and set up his guys with a successful play. The biggest reason Edelman can be seen as a great WW replacer is the salary and we practically have two decent replacements for WW, DA and JE. Edelman does not equal WW cause of the fact that it's obvious JE instincts aren't as high in terms off reading D and running correct option routes and also doesn't get same release WW did. He is better in open w the ball though and can run the deep routes 1000 times better. 

Edelman doesn't equal WW. It's a different type system this year aNd JE is thriving in it. He certainly is making his case frot equaling Ww but his production week to week doesn't make it possible thats all

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I'll agree that yes Edelman does make for a better team option. I love your statement that Edelman is a better Givens, love it. Brings back great memories. 

Here, you wanna say who is a better player? Welker. He would be good in any system, but true like you said this kind of guy is a binkie and can't get u SB's. Edelman like you said, helps the teaM More, makes us diverse and unpredictable. Edelman is better for this team. You ask 32 GM's who is a better player 31 say WW, simple. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hey Rusty, how many times over the past several months have you been on here telling me and everyone else what a great signing Amendola was and how he was going to do all these wonderful things and be so much better then Welker?  Hahaha!!

Now you are on the Edelman bandwagon since all your Amendola predictions have failed.  But hey, we should expect that around here from you. Anything to protect BB, right? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

They are both flawed but I'll take Edelman for his punt return ability.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:

I cannot say JE is better then WW...different yes, more versitile, yes, maybe less of a choke in big games, but better?..not solely as a slot receiver, but overall, kinda, yeah, given his versatility...I'm glad he's here...then again, Brady makes everyone better...and WW is now playing with another great QB.....if WW was playing with  a run -of -the -mill QB his numbers wouldn't be near what they have been.

Out of respect to Welker, I did not say better. Welker is EXCLUSIVELY a slot WR who is only effective/productive when the QB is in the shotgun.

The better part comes in with the varying elements to Edelman's game that promote a more dynamic skill set/less predictable player within our offense.  This is my point. His skill set is more balanced, hence it helps our offense be more balanced.

It's kinda like a Jeep. Welker is more like a sports car, but Edelman can get over the mountain pass because he's a Jeep.

BB knew this which is why it was so easy to take him out. It's why I knew Arrington, even with a questionable groin issue, would take him out.  Of course, as per usual, I am laughed off the board before it happens, then when it happens, everyone who mocked me, go quiet and hope I don't remind them why I was right.

IMO, Edelman will have a better postseason this year than Welker ever had here.  He may not get the 15 targets, but we'll see a better Brady and a better flanker position than we've had in a while.

Ummm Welker has more receptions, more yards, more than twice as many TD's and A HIGHER Average yard per reception.

1. Edelman had two games with longs in the 40's ( one for 43 and one for 44) and 6 games where his long was below 19.  One game he even had a long of 7.  LOL
    2. Oh ya, he's much more diverse.  Bwahahaha

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Let me tell you something right now...If we win the SB and Amendola and Edelman each have nice postseasons, you may need to leave this board in outright embarrassment.

If leaving the board due to outright embarrassment was the protocol, you'd have been gone 1,000 times over.

Especially after Rkarp spanked you on the Kelly posts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

There is some absolutely priceless stuff going in this thread and all I can say rusty is thank you...thank you!! Thank you for making a fool out of yourself once again...Edelman is a more diverse version of Givens? LOL! Not similar at all. Not a bit. Almost reminds me of the time you said Jake Ballard was similar in style to that tight end we had Thomas...now that was extremely funny.

Listen I think Edelman has developed nicely (thank you Tom Brady, than you), but to put him in Welker's class is stupid (but that is basically what we expect from you). I went to camp the day Edelman made his first appearance of the season, he looked like the best receiver we had, but I don't think of that as a good thing.

And can you please list the specific "times Edelman has gotten deep"? You said there was at least twelve times. I'd like to know when, where, how that happened. So one more time...Edelman is doing a nice job...he is not Welker...and two months ago you were saying the same stuff about our 7 million dollar per year free agent bust receiver...come to think of it you were saying the same things about Ocho Cinco three years ago. You aren't very good at this stuff.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

bumped

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Welker and Moss actually and symbolically represent WHY we never won a SB in the last 5 years.

Whoa.  I thought it was because Brady was crapping his pants.

This thread is a trip.  Thanksgiving isn't until tomorrow, but I give thanks to Rusty for this thread today.  How absurd.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

I'll agree that yes Edelman does make for a better team option. I love your statement that Edelman is a better Givens, love it. Brings back great memories. 

Here, you wanna say who is a better player? Welker. He would be good in any system, but true like you said this kind of guy is a binkie and can't get u SB's. Edelman like you said, helps the teaM More, makes us diverse and unpredictable. Edelman is better for this team. You ask 32 GM's who is a better player 31 say WW, simple. 

Better slot WR, Welker.

Better PLAYER? Very debatable.  Keep in mind, Welker is past his prime (don't let those bloated stats against AWFUL Ds fool you as Gomie tries to break Brady's 2007 records for ego) and Edelman is now coming into his.

Anyway, Edelman = Welker at the very least.

In the end, who gives a damn who is "better"? A professional athlete competes for the ultimate prize, A CHAMPIONSHIP. With that comes unparralled respect amongst his peers. The one who gets his ring first wil be more respected. Better? That makes Zero difference. I'll say it again....A star without a ring does not shine when in the presence of a Champion, even if the one wearing the ring was merely a role player on that Championship team. Ask any real professional and they will concur. Ask Wes, he'll agree. That is what makes it so hard for him to relax and repeat the act that he has done correctly time after time and make the same play he's made hundreds of times. Its that gravity/magnitude associate to the play that gets to him. The fact is that Wes has proven again to be the chocker of the two, so as it stands right now, JE is the "better" clutch player.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

There is some absolutely priceless stuff going in this thread and all I can say rusty is thank you...thank you!! Thank you for making a fool out of yourself once again...Edelman is a more diverse version of Givens? LOL! Not similar at all. Not a bit. Almost reminds me of the time you said Jake Ballard was similar in style to that tight end we had Thomas...now that was extremely funny.

Listen I think Edelman has developed nicely (thank you Tom Brady, than you), but to put him in Welker's class is stupid (but that is basically what we expect from you). I went to camp the day Edelman made his first appearance of the season, he looked like the best receiver we had, but I don't think of that as a good thing.

And can you please list the specific "times Edelman has gotten deep"? You said there was at least twelve times. I'd like to know when, where, how that happened. So one more time...Edelman is doing a nice job...he is not Welker...and two months ago you were saying the same stuff about our 7 million dollar per year free agent bust receiver...come to think of it you were saying the same things about Ocho Cinco three years ago. You aren't very good at this stuff.

NEver said Ballard had the same skill set as Thomas.  Ever.  I said he represent a back up who might be able to produce how Thomas does in NOs.  That's it. Clearly, Ballard's injury was too much of a problem and I was wrong. Oh well. Won't be the first time.

You, howver, are constantly wrong. You literally said 6 months ago "I wish BB did what the Jets did from 2009-2011!"  

Yes you did. You are either a troll or a moron for saying that.  

I am very good at this stuff. I've called almost all of it.  

Here is what will happen:

We will get a 1 or 2 seed.  We will be in the AFC Title game. If Brady throws no picks and Ridley/none of RBs avoid a fumble, we're in the SB and it will feel like 2003 or 2004 again. Yep.  Just watch. Our offense is trending UP at the right time and our D is battling and believing.

See, Wes Welker is gone. Welker and Moss actually and symbolically represent WHY we never won a SB in the last 5 years.   They're finesse style players who took away from our balance as an offense.

BB knows this.  There is no way he could not at this point. I've been asking for this offensive balance for years and to get away from the 2007 crap that was a clear failure.  Nice try, right idea, but it never could sustain as the base of an offense.

Well first off you did too compare Ballard's playing style to Thomas's...that's a fact jack. When you did that I called you out on it right away because it was a top 5 dumbest things I've ever read on here (the top was you saying Curtis Martin couldn't catch).

As for the rest of your typical crap, it has nothing to do with the thread, what I wrote or your comparison of Edelman to Givens. Not even a good back pedal on your part.

As for us "doing what the jets did from 2010-2011". You give Belichick the freedom to be agressive and spend to the cap...with Brady at quarterback...and BB coaching this team and what do you think is going to happen? What do you think will happen/would of happened? We win not only a Super Bowl, but most likely two...simple. That extra pass rusher we needed? We would of had it. That corner to stop Eli? He would of been on the roster. Yup, see I have confidence that if Belichick has more talent to work with he will win another Super Bowl. Why? Because he is NOT Rex Ryan and the Jets. You must feel Belichick is not better than Ryan the way you think of things. You must think Brady is no better than Sanchez...you are clueless.

Sections
Shortcuts