Edelman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Edelman

What will it take to resign this guy? What are people's opinions on him? I've seen him play live three times - he got hurt in two of those games. When you watch him play live you can see that athletically he has no problem running a route, but when that ball arrives...ouch, I've seen him fight that football...I've seen him have it bounce right off his hands. Catching footballs at the NFL level is not like catching them with your friends in your backyard, you have to make all the catches or the drive ends. I don't know if Edelman can do that, he certainly couldn't do that a couple years ago...has he improved enough to take Welker's spot? I will say he made two catches last year that looked good further down the field, and those are catches that he wouldn't of made before, so maybe he has improved enough?? I just think that if you play in the slot you are going to have to be able to catch balls with a lot of heat on them. You are going to have to catch a threaded needle between a linebacker and a safety - if not the offense won't go. I've seen him catch those quick screens and little hitches where he turns it up field for another 8-10 yards, but those will be stopped if he can't show that he can catch stuff further down the field consistently.

Of course the big thing with him is his injuries - this guy is as fragile as they come. I remember trying to find some video of him after we drafted him, and I eventually found something on youtube...reading the comments on the video some people from his college called him fine China. This was before he played a single NFL game.

So what will this guy cost? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Re: Edelman

I prefer him more outside than in Welkers spot? Welkers done both so I should say Welkers inside spot. Edelman's a converted QB so the more reaction time he has to see the ball coming the better for him. I also think he is more dangerous outside with more space. The more space he has the more dangerous he is.

I believe he has the potential to be close to how Branch was when he was younger. We'll see.

Branch and Edelmans combine/pro day measurables for speed and quickness are almost identical.

People think Welkers catches over the short middle are easier because they are often shorter passes. I believe its actually quite the opposite. You have to be very good to do that job effectively. Those passes are often on you very fast and surrounded by traffic.

Just my opinion.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Low-FB-IQ's comment:

I prefer him more outside than in Welkers spot? Welkers done both so I should say Welkers inside spot. Edelman's a converted QB so the more reaction time he has to see the ball coming the better for him. I also think he is more dangerous outside with more space. The more space he has the more dangerous he is.

People think Welkers catches over the short middle are easier because they are often shorter passes. I believe its actually quite the opposite. You have to be very good to do that job effectively. Those passes are often on you very fast and surrounded by traffic.

Just my opinion.

Completely agree - the ball comes at you much faster in the slot and you also are in danger of gettting knuckled by a safety head on. The question is, does Edelman have outside speed? He has great quicks and decent size, but I don't think he has that speed to eat up a NFL corner's cushion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Just my opinion.

Completely agree - the ball comes at you much faster in the slot and you also are in danger of gettting knuckled by a safety head on. The question is, does Edelman have outside speed? He has great quicks and decent size, but I don't think he has that speed to eat up a NFL corner's cushion.

I went back and edited my previous post to include that as I anticipated someone asking.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Edelman is a good #3 or 4 WR and can make things happen if he has space but I agree his hands aren't the best for quick passes. He does need a softer throw and time to react. Which is why he'll remain the 3rd look on most plays and things start to break down and he has time to get enough separation to avoid Brady having to wing it in.

As for what he'll get in the open market I don't think much. Given injury history and he seems limited as the 3rd or 4th read I'm putting him somewhere in the $1.5mil-$2mil range mainly because of his value on STs

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Edelman is a good #3 or 4 WR and can make things happen if he has space but I agree his hands aren't the best for quick passes. He does need a softer throw and time to react. Which is why he'll remain the 3rd look on most plays and things start to break down and he has time to get enough separation to avoid Brady having to wing it in.

As for what he'll get in the open market I don't think much. Given injury history and he seems limited as the 3rd or 4th read I'm putting him somewhere in the $1.5mil-$2mil range mainly because of his value on STs

I disagree, he hasn't shown enough to be considered as a good  #3. James Jones this season or Manningham last season are examples of good #3 Wrs. His career high in rec ards is 359. And in a lot of those years, Welker was the only legitimate WR on the depth chart.

When assessing a guys value, I think you need to look at what they do best. I think Edelman's biggest asset is his punt return ability. So I don't view Edelman as a receiver who can return punts, I view him as a punt returner who can contribute a little bit to the receving game. I would pay him as such. He has shown glimpses that he can be a large contributor in the receiving game. But after 4 seasons, if all we still have are just glimpses, I wouldn't get my hopes up that he will amount to more.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

I disagree, he hasn't shown enough to be considered as a good  #3. James Jones this season or Manningham last season are examples of good #3 Wrs. His career high in rec ards is 359. And in a lot of those years, Welker was the only legitimate WR on the depth chart.

When assessing a guys value, I think you need to look at what they do best. I think Edelman's biggest asset is his punt return ability. So I don't view Edelman as a receiver who can return punts, I view him as a punt returner who can contribute a little bit to the receving game. I would pay him as such. He has shown glimpses that he can be a large contributor in the receiving game. But after 4 seasons, if all we still have are just glimpses, I wouldn't get my hopes up that he will amount to more.

Manningham is a fair list as a good #3 WR but really how many teams have a Manningham. Jones on the other hand is more of a #2 WR. The guy had almost a 100 looks which most #3 WR will never see.

You also have to look at the teams and their option tree. For instance the Pats use a 2 TE set with 1 RB in the backfield. The #3 WR on the team is usually the 5th or 6th receiving option so Edelmans numbers are a bit deceiving. If you look at most teams 5th or 6th options they fall in line with what Edelman usually gives. He's a good 5th or 6th receiving option is how I should have phrased it but on this team that makes you the 3rd WR option

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Edelman continues to have potential, but has far from arrived. He is too injury prone and inconsistent to waste anything but minimal resources on, despite the penchant to overrate him by fans.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

I am not sure I agree or not.

Frankly I am mystified as to how the Pats have handled him.

Edelman fills in admirably in 2009 when Welker goes down and proves he can be effective and play ball in the NFL.

Then unexplicably he disappears for two whole seasons. The Pats have a brain fog and forget about him and target him only 22 times in two seasons? Why? I have no idea.

So in the 4th year they some how decide he is their starting outside WR? Why now after not giving him two more full years of being more involved?

I've never understood his path with the Pats.

However, I like to always use a team who just won the superbowl as a benchmark. Afterall they just won the superbowl.

The Ravens have jacoby Jones as their #3 WR. In 16 games he had 54 targets, 30 catches, 1 TD, and 16 first downs.

Edelman only played in 9 games, had 32 targets, 21 catches, 3 TD's, and 12 first downs. You don't think he would have had as good and most likely better numbers than Jacoby Jones did over a 16 game schedule? 

How is Edelman not good enough to be a #3 WR? Excluding the obvious he can not stay on the field.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Edelman has ST value, esp. as a punt returner and was coming on a bit at WR before he got hurt AGAIN.  I personally don't see him as an outside threat, he's not the type of guy who can go up and get the ball and he's not overly fast (4.5 40).  And even though he's quick  I'm not so sure he is as quick and as good a route runner as WW.  So what is he then?  He seems to be a guy like Hernandez who, if you get the ball in his hands underneath, is elusive and gets a good amount of YAC.  He can also play DB in a pinch.  I like him as a player, but let's face it, some guys can never stay healthy and despite all the talent in the world their potential goes unrealised.  The NFL is littered with those types of guys.  I think it's a no brainer to bring the guy back at reasonable dollars but if I'm BB I'l drafting a WR and looking to FA to bring in competition.   

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Edelman fills in admirably in 2009 when Welker goes down and proves he can be effective and play ball in the NFL.

Then unexplicably he disappears for two whole seasons. The Pats have a brain fog and forget about him and target him only 22 times in two seasons? Why? I have no idea.

So in the 4th year they some how decide he is their starting outside WR? Why now after not giving him two more full years of being more involved?

However, I like to always use a team who just won the superbowl as a benchmark. Afterall they just won the superbowl.

The Ravens have jacoby Jones as their #3 WR. In 16 games he had 54 targets, 30 catches, 1 TD, and 16 first downs.

Edelman only played in 9 games, had 32 targets, 21 catches, 3 TD's, and 12 first downs. You don't think he would have had as good and most likely better numbers than Jacoby Jones did over a 16 game schedule? 

How is Edelman not good enough to be a #3 WR? Excluding the obvious he can not stay on the field.

Jacoby Jones is a #3 WR on a run heavy team. And while I don't think jones is that great, he still has a slightly better track record than Edelman. Jacoby is not that dynamic of a WR. He doesn't really get great seperation, he just has great football speed. The two of them actually have similar 40 times, (4.50ish)...which kind of goes to show you how little 40 times tell you cause Jones looks like a 4.3 guy when he runs with pads.

I never said Edelman couldn't be a number 3. I said you can't call him a good #3 WR. He has 5 career games over 50 yards. That's 53 games, if you include the playoffs. Maybe BB fudged up, but he sees him in practice, if he truly thought he was a valuable asset in the receiving game, he would've made room for him. Especially considering guys like Ochocinco and Deion Branch were a head of him. So it's not like he was buried in the depth chart behind great receivers.

Edelman hasn't done enough for me to feel comfortable with him as the #3 WR on most teams. Key word most. If Edelman is a #3 Wr on the Pats, he's really the 5th best receiving option because of Hern and Gronk...maybe 6th if Ballard can play at his 2011 level.

So Edelman could work here. But when assessing his value for resigning reasons (so salary into consideration), I wouldnt pay him like a good #3 Wr. Because I don't look at him like that. I think of him as a Cribbs/Hester type player, STer who gets some time in on offense. (not saying he's as good as those guys but their roles are somewhat similar)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Jacoby Jones is a #3 WR on a run heavy team. And while I don't think jones is that great, he still has a slightly better track record than Edelman. Jacoby is not that dynamic of a WR. He doesn't really get great seperation, he just has great football speed. The two of them actually have similar 40 times, (4.50ish)...which kind of goes to show you how little 40 times tell you cause Jones looks like a 4.3 guy when he runs with pads.

I never said Edelman couldn't be a number 3. I said you can't call him a good #3 WR. He has 5 career games over 50 yards. That's 53 games, if you include the playoffs. Maybe BB fudged up, but he sees him in practice, if he truly thought he was a valuable asset in the receiving game, he would've made room for him. Especially considering guys like Ochocinco and Deion Branch were a head of him. So it's not like he was buried in the depth chart behind great receivers.

Edelman hasn't done enough for me to feel comfortable with him as the #3 WR on most teams. Key word most. If Edelman is a #3 Wr on the Pats, he's really the 5th best receiving option because of Hern and Gronk...maybe 6th if Ballard can play at his 2011 level.

So Edelman could work here. But when assessing his value for resigning reasons (so salary into consideration), I wouldnt pay him like a good #3 Wr. Because I don't look at him like that. I think of him as a Cribbs/Hester type player, STer who gets some time in on offense. (not saying he's as good as those guys but their roles are somewhat similar)

Ahh ok. Didn't read it all well enough. Thought you were suggesting he couldn't be a number 3. I agree as well that although he could end up a #3 WR he would not be a #3 target most likely.

Yeah as far is his contract thing goes. Thats really outside my comfort zone of discussion but his injuriy history alone will prohibit him asking or getting much I would think.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

He's one of those guys you cheer for because he doesn't have the athletic ability as most but he is a gamer, he will do anything you ask because he just wants to play!  You gotta like a guy like that.

However, he isn't a guy who can help lead an offense or even play a much of a role.  He is a small type of role player.  The one thing that really sticks out to me about him is he has a very hard time adjusting to a longer pass, he just seems to have problems with adjusting to the ball in the air.  His ability to get seperation also sticks out to me, he seems to have a hard time getting open.  That can come with a lot of practice getting off the line and shaking the defender, but he isn't there yet.  Also the big factor is can he stay healthy?  All this shows me is he just isn't a guy who can be any type of role player anytime soon.

More of a plug him in here and there, maybe he can give the offense a spark from time to time.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Just a couple years ago there were a lot of threads on here about him being on the bubble and not wanting him back for obvious reasons.  Now with the Welker situation people think he can take over his spot, nuts!

Edelman is a hell of a lot more athletic than Welker. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

i hated seeing Welker fielding punts. That's edlemans value to me.  I think we could get a better receiver in the draft   If we can replace the punt returning then he wouldn't be worth a lot to me. Be time to part Ways. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

It's bizarre.  Could be the Brady Binky club thing that I've been talking about. Brady and Welker are tight. Edelman and Brady don't hang out off the field, don't vacation together, etc.

I would argue Edelman is better in the open field than Welker.

Brady worked with Edelman two years ago in the off season - they even came back with the same stupid hair cut. I would agree that Edelman is probably better in the open field with the ball, but getting that ball in the form of a catch is where he falls way short of Welker.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Oh Hell's no!  It's not even close.

It really isn't close at all. I agree.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know? I mean Welker is a pretty darn good athlete and he has great quickness, but Edelman is a freaky athlete. I'm not saying Edelman is anything even close to the player Welker is...not even in the same league, but if Edelman has anything...it's athleticism. That guy has got some unbelievable shake for a guy his size. He's got great balance, quickness, and decent speed too. He's not Welker, but I bet he'd beat Welker at just about everything other than football.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I don't know? I mean Welker is a pretty darn good athlete and he has great quickness, but Edelman is a freaky athlete. I'm not saying Edelman is anything even close to the player Welker is...not even in the same league, but if Edelman has anything...it's athleticism. That guy has got some unbelievable shake for a guy his size. He's got great balance, quickness, and decent speed too. He's not Welker, but I bet he'd beat Welker at just about everything other than football.

You're completely right... and as TFB said, it isn't even close.

Short-area quickness, I think that's a draw. But in terms of jumping, speed in a straight line, acceleration, etc, etc (basically every other measure of athleticism) Edelman takes the cake.

Welker (as of now) is a better slot-receiver than Edelman. If Edelman can stay healthy this upcoming season, that may too change. 

We shall see.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Edelamn is clearly more athletic than Wes. He played college QB, plus receiver and DB in the NFL. Welker is a far better receiver though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Welker is like money in the bank, Edelman isn't a  guy that u throw the ball and you know you will be safe, Brady will be a little unconfortable without welker, but he will be ok, just a few games for an adjustment

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It's almost a certainty that Edelmann will be back.

He and BB are on the same sheet of music.  He'll sign a cheap 3 year deal.

Sections
Shortcuts