Edelman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Edelman

What are we going to do with this guy? Will he take a hometown discount? Is he a risky guy to sign because of the injury history? 

Got to hand it to him, he stayed healthy, he improved, he took some big hits and held onto the ball and he at times has basically been our offense. I've got to think with his versatility - and the demand for slot receivers - he'll be offered something big. The right team may look at him and think...well he's been injured a lot, but nothing that was career damaging and he's young...lets sign him.

So what do we do? I'd hate to think we'd lose both Welker and Edelman because of Amendola...could you imagine that scenario? A year later both Edelman and Welker will be catching passes for other teams while Amendola stands on the sideline in a sling. Wouldn't be pretty.

What would you do and how much is Edelman going to get?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Re: Edelman

The same contract as Amendola.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

In response to PhatVirgin's comment:

If there were no cap considerations, I would resign Edelman and get Jimmy Graham - from the perspective of giving Brady some offensive weapons before Brady's decline to mortal/pedestrian  performance.  QBs of Brady do not grow on trees.  The liklihood that the Patriots will find another QB of his caliber is pretty damn small. Get another DE as a bookend to Jones, shore up the OL, another S and CB.

Then reality kicks in and there are cap issues.  So, sign Edelman at the lowest possible cost - if not, let him walk away and hope that DA and the rest of the rookie WRs can fill the gap that Edelman leaves behind.

Edleman is fantastic...far better than anyone playing for the NY Jets...how did that happen?...the Jets have been so terrible for so long and have drafted so much higher than the Pats for that time it's amazing to see how well they judge talent....Jets don't, I guess...oh well, it is what it is...40 years of utter failure and management desperation...maybe that's why Joe Namath wanted to kiss...........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pats can't afford that, BB gambled and lost with paying Amendola. Unless Edelman takes a discount, Edelman probably walks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pats can't afford that, BB gambled and lost with paying Amendola. Unless Edelman takes a discount, Edelman probably walks.

[/QUOTE]

but that will be Edelmans asking price and why not? His career is extremely similar to Amendola's. 1 great season and a bunch of injured ones tossed in. It would be another risk to sign him to a similar deal considering his history but of all the WRs on the team right now he is the only on the same page as Brady. Losing him would be taking a big gamble that not only would Gronk be good to go by the beginning of the season but also that he'd be healthy. Heck, as things stand they need to add a stable durable receiving threat (either TE or WR) losing Edelman would mean they'd have to get two. But, there is the injury risk. Personally if he wants an Amendola contract (that one is going to bite us time and time again) I might have to let him walk and see if they can bring in a Sanders type of WR for around $3mil a year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

but that will be Edelmans asking price and why not? His career is extremely similar to Amendola's. 1 great season and a bunch of injured ones tossed in. It would be another risk to sign him to a similar deal considering his history but of all the WRs on the team right now he is the only on the same page as Brady. Losing him would be taking a big gamble that not only would Gronk be good to go by the beginning of the season but also that he'd be healthy. Heck, as things stand they need to add a stable durable receiving threat (either TE or WR) losing Edelman would mean they'd have to get two. But, there is the injury risk. Personally if he wants an Amendola contract (that one is going to bite us time and time again) I might have to let him walk and see if they can bring in a Sanders type of WR for around $3mil a year.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't think I'd sign him to a Amendola type of deal either - I just don't think we can pay that much to two slot receivers with injury history's. Yet I don't want to see him go and be stuck with Amendola, I'm not saying Amendola is terrible, it's just that I have no confidence that he can stay healthy.

It's really a weird situation to be in. We have needs, don't have much money and may be losing a young talent...almost sounds like we are in salary cap hell.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't think I'd sign him to a Amendola type of deal either - I just don't think we can pay that much to two slot receivers with injury history's. Yet I don't want to see him go and be stuck with Amendola, I'm not saying Amendola is terrible, it's just that I have no confidence that he can stay healthy.

It's really a weird situation to be in. We have needs, don't have much money and may be losing a young talent...almost sounds like we are in salary cap hell.

[/QUOTE]

For the love of christ:

Dear Dummy:

Do you see Edelman and Amendola lining JUST in the sot as their only spot to produce like Welkie had to do?

Are you this stupid?!

Kraft specifically said after BB walke from Welkie that did not want to put more money just to the inside of the field which is why Amendola was more attractive, moving forward as with the age and less drop factor.

UGH.  Branch, PAtten, Brown, etc, all of them lined up outside and inside.   Please learn what BB wants here. UGH.

You think you're so smart, but you're so dumb.

[/QUOTE]

Either way, 14 million on two WRs is not a Belichick move. When Moss and Welker were here from '07-11 their combined salary wasn't 14 million. I don't think BB wastes that much money at the WR position with an aging QB like Brady when having a good defense is starting to become a bigger nessecity to championship aspirations.

This season, Brady had a tough, but respectable season and the Pats went 12-4 thanks to a bangged up, but functioning defense. As Brady gets older, the defense needs to get better. Gotta worry about McCourty, Spikes, Talib. Wilfork's future, CJ 94 +94, Dennard and Siliga before you throw countless amounts of cash at WR.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

It's not 14 million, 49ers and PAts fan.

Please read Amendola's favorable contract.  Edelman is a system developed WR who isn't going anywhere.

[/QUOTE]

I'm just a Pats' fan, the 49 comes from my respect of the 49ers not really as a fan. They're my second favorite team in the NFL, but they're not equals of New England and when they meet I always have and will cheer Patriots.

And still, Dobson is the number 2 WR now, Boyce was drafted to inherit the slot from Amendola.

Can't keep both, someone's gotta go and Danny got a guaranteed contract that makes it hard to pick Edelman over him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I know there's a massive failure of reading comprehension skills, not to mention numerical awareness, among a large number on this board. But this dead horse has been beaten so often, it's begging to be shot.

Amendola's salary in 2013 was $2 million and his cap hit was $3.5 million. Those are hardly crippling numbers. It goes up about $1 million per year on each through 2017, but they can cut or restructure him after 2014, becase his dead money hit then is affordable. 

There is ZERO reason the Patriots couldn't afford a similar contract for Edelman, if he were willing to sign such a deal. They'll have plenty of cap space for that kind of contract. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For the love of christ:

Dear Dummy:

Do you see Edelman and Amendola lining JUST in the sot as their only spot to produce like Welkie had to do?

Are you this stupid?!

Kraft specifically said after BB walke from Welkie that did not want to put more money just to the inside of the field which is why Amendola was more attractive, moving forward as with the age and less drop factor.

UGH.  Branch, PAtten, Brown, etc, all of them lined up outside and inside.   Please learn what BB wants here. UGH.

[/QUOTE]

You think Amendola is a outside receiver? Bawahaha ha!! Oh my lord I just peed myself! I forgot that you called him versatile and spent a month explaining to all of us how he will "run a much more diverse route tree", only thing is it never happened. The worse thing is when they tried him out there he fell on his face, literally.

And as good as Edeleman has been this season, no one is going to confuse this guy for an outside threat - I mean you might - but you have proven over and over again that you suffered from a lack of milk in your younger years....so everyone knows you are clueless. I mean around here I'm perceived as negative for not ignoring the 150 or so million we wasted on free agent busts and the 30 or so draft busts we've had over the last five years, but I can turn on any radio station in the area and 70% of the hosts would say I have a point. If you went here, there or anywhere with your Brady blaming crap you'd be laughed and ridiculed...like you do everyday here. There's a difference. Seriously, the whole world knew Chung sucked, but you didn't. I told you years ago he sucked and wouldn't be resigned - and that's exactly what happened - you thought I was out of my mind for saying such horrible things, but it was all true.

For you to say Brady was to blame for losing Super Bowl 46 is beyond ridiculous. If we had won he would of been MVP...hands down...no contest...no one even close on our team played as well as him. That is fact.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Edelman did not take a home town discount to play here this year . . . he had no offers!  Now he has proven that he can stay healthy he will get offers but it will not be in the class that Wes got from Denver.  With the cap money they have I'd sign Edelman if he comes in at a reasonable price . . . otherwise you have to put the money in other positions and hope that Amendola can stay healthy, TJ Moe can fill in at the slot, or something can be picked up in the draft . . .  if Edelman goes it would not surprise me if they tried moving Vereen to the slot they have to get him on the field more often.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Dear rust,

Here I'll give you a little receiver lesson. David Patten ran a 4.3...yes, that's right!!! It's a real funny puzzler why he could play outside, right dumbo? In fact Patten played outside a lot, he could run right past people, he was a handful. And Branch ran a 4.45...not bad...played outside most of is career. He was a second round draft pick, we traded him for a first...he was pretty good.

You naming names at receiver and then lumping them with Amendola is stupid. What's next? Jerry Rice? You going to compare Amendola to him next? How about Lynn Swan?

Seriously do watch football? Do you understand it? I find your mistakes on here embarrassing even for a casual fan. Why don't you take some time off and learn some of the basics and then come back in a year or so?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Edelman did not take a home town discount to play here this year . . . he had no offers!  Now he has proven that he can stay healthy he will get offers but it will not be in the class that Wes got from Denver.  With the cap money they have I'd sign Edelman if he comes in at a reasonable price . . . otherwise you have to put the money in other positions and hope that Amendola can stay healthy, TJ Moe can fill in at the slot, or something can be picked up in the draft . . .  if Edelman goes it would not surprise me if they tried moving Vereen to the slot they have to get him on the field more often.

[/QUOTE]

Some good points.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I thought Edelmen signed an extension before the season? Through what year?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No he only signed a one year deal over the summer, he is a free agent after the season.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I know there's a massive failure of reading comprehension skills, not to mention numerical awareness, among a large number on this board. But this dead horse has been beaten so often, it's begging to be shot.

Amendola's salary in 2013 was $2 million and his cap hit was $3.5 million. Those are hardly crippling numbers. It goes up about $1 million per year on each through 2017, but they can cut or restructure him after 2014, becase his dead money hit then is affordable. 

There is ZERO reason the Patriots couldn't afford a similar contract for Edelman, if he were willing to sign such a deal. They'll have plenty of cap space for that kind of contract. 

[/QUOTE]

LOL!

Muzz, you must be so frustrated being the guy who educates the board on this topic only to have it ignored by morons and children. Christ, Mt Hurl still thinks there is no cap or it doesn't matter and BB should  have paid Peppers 16 million per in 2010 into a lockout.

[/QUOTE]

It's a collective mental block when it comes to this particular contract. Everybody has it in their brain that it's some terrible, Albert Pujols type contract. The reality is it's team friendly, and they can walk from it after next year.

Amendola's cap hit between this year and next is about $5 mil less than Aaron Hernandez's. So if they don't sign Edelman, blame that guy, not the guy who actually played. Hernandez's cap hit next year is $7.5 mil, Amendola's is $4.7.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

For the love of christ:

Dear Dummy:

Are you this stupid?!

[/QUOTE]

You think Amendola is a outside receiver? Bawahaha ha!! Oh my lord I just peed myself! I forgot that you called him versatile and spent a month explaining to all of us how he will "run a much more diverse route tree", only thing is it never happened. The worse thing is when they tried him out there he fell on his face, literally.

And as good as Edeleman has been this season, no one is going to confuse this guy for an outside threat - I mean you might - but you have proven over and over again that you suffered from a lack of milk in your younger years....so everyone knows you are clueless. I mean around here I'm perceived as negative for not ignoring the 150 or so million we wasted on free agent busts and the 30 or so draft busts we've had over the last five years, but I can turn on any radio station in the area and 70% of the hosts would say I have a point. If you went here, there or anywhere with your Brady blaming crap you'd be laughed and ridiculed...like you do everyday here. There's a difference. Seriously, the whole world knew Chung sucked, but you didn't. I told you years ago he sucked and wouldn't be resigned - and that's exactly what happened - you thought I was out of my mind for saying such horrible things, but it was all true.

For you to say Brady was to blame for losing Super Bowl 46 is beyond ridiculous. If we had won he would of been MVP...hands down...no contest...no one even close on our team played as well as him. That is fact.

[/QUOTE]

Was Patten and outside WR or Branch? Did you pee yourself when we won SBs with smaller WRs on the outside who moved around, where Ds couldn't match up and gameplan, or did you just become a fan in 2007 when Moss arrived?

It's becoming very suspicious, Mt Hurlie.

Pat Chung outplayed Brady in SB 46. OUCH.  Truth hurts. The Pats entire D was the MVP in SB 46. 13 points allowed with that kind of QB play  from Brady constantly putting them in a tought spot, was amazing.

Sterling Moore outplayed Brady. Spikes. McCourty. Sterling Moore.  Mayo. Yep. Truth hurts. The entire D was more consistent over the 4 qtrs than Tommy Brady.

It sucks to admit, but it;s the truth. Brady had massive meltdowns that compromised the team's goal.

I'll never forget Giselle coming down to try to deflect postgame.  I was mortified.

[/QUOTE]

19 points liar and the D was the worst to EVER play in a SB.  92.7DPR.  Pfft.

Why you insist on this frigen lie, is beyond ignorant.

Complete and total fail.

Can you name another SB D that failed to register a 3 & out, turn-over, never stopped the O on their own side of the field giving their own O the worst field position,  Doubled the normal ToP for an AVERAGE defense which robbed their own O of valuable possessions, Gave up the game LOSING drive with 35 seconds left because that was the only way BB could get them off the field?  Can you?

I can't.  Sheer and utter incompetence.  FACT!

You, repeating the same crap over and over does not and will NEVER make it true.

It just makes you more of a liar, if that's even possible.

hallowed hoodie!  Bwahahaha  Your momma should be proud.  Is she a liar too?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Dear rust,

Here I'll give you a little receiver lesson. David Patten ran a 4.3...yes, that's right!!! It's a real funny puzzler why he could play outside, right dumbo? In fact Patten played outside a lot, he could run right past people, he was a handful. And Branch ran a 4.45...not bad...played outside most of is career. He was a second round draft pick, we traded him for a first...he was pretty good.

You naming names at receiver and then lumping them with Amendola is stupid. What's next? Jerry Rice? You going to compare Amendola to him next? How about Lynn Swan?

Seriously do watch football? Do you understand it? I find your mistakes on here embarrassing even for a casual fan. Why don't you take some time off and learn some of the basics and then come back in a year or so?

[/QUOTE]

Willie Gault ran a 4.3 The Giants cut Patten. Patten was a "handful"? He was cut by the Giants! He was a cast off!  LOL!  Do you even know our team's history?

Bethel Johnson ran a 4.3. You're a moron.

[/QUOTE]

I know exactly how we acquired Patten and what does him being cut by the Giants have to do with anything? Welker played for San Diego and was cut by them too...that make him not good? Was Patten not good? You even know who Patten was? Because you didn't know who Curtis Martin was.

I watched Patten at camp the first year we got him down in Smithfield RI. He was so fast you couldn't tell the difference between him and Terry Glenn in that camp (Terry Glenn was a receiver for us who ran a 4.3 out of Ohio State...we drafted him 7th overall). In between drills he would sprint in between all the stations like he was plugged into an outlet...it was kind of weird...he had all this quickness and energy.

You know I'm thinking if you want me teach you football I'd do it for like ten bucks a post, I could set up a PO box or something (I don't want you knowing my address...you're kind of creepy). What do you say? You tired of being embarrassed? It can be your New Year resolution...learn football...so easy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No he only signed a one year deal over the summer, he is a free agent after the season.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks didnt know that --  thought it was a 3 year deal -- that suks--he'll want big bucks probably-unless Tommy can talk him into staying?

Sections
Shortcuts