Edelman

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Edelman

Hometown discounts are a luxury for superstar quarterbacks and the likes. Edleman is one big hit from becoming a tomato. If he's smart he should cash in big for himself and his family. He may never get another free agency opportunity like this.  He should hire Flacco's agent and make someone overpay dearly if he can. Pats want to keep him they should have to pay him. They probably could have had him for two years no problem for chump change. Belichick underestimated him some or was worried about injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Amendola needs to take a big pay cut and give it to Edelman.  Has any of Josh McD's former players done anything close to what was expected of them?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Amendola needs to take a big pay cut and give it to Edelman.  Has any of Josh McD's former players done anything close to what was expected of them?

Lloyd was ok... I personally wanted more from him. Always felt Tom over targeted him but 900 yards with a Gronk/Welk/Hern O is pretty good when u think about it. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Lloyd was ok... I personally wanted more from him. Always felt Tom over targeted him but 900 yards with a Gronk/Welk/Hern O is pretty good when u think about it. 

Lloyd did good but wasn't what was expected.  Never offered a deep threat and he only lasted 1 season.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fidd. Show Fidd's posts

Lloyd did good but wasn't what was expected.  Never offered a deep threat and he only lasted 1 season.

Lloyd wasn't brought in to be a "deep threat". He did his best work outside the numbers but not necessarily a vertical threat. Bradys greatest strengths is his quick, smart, accurate short/intermediate passes to the middle of the field and sidelines. Lloyd and Johnson were essentially brought in for the same purpose. Gash the middle of the field with comebacks/curls,  back shoulder fade outside the numbers and the occasionally beat their man man deep on a double move or post that both were good at. Both did most of their work in the middle of the field though.

As far as Edelman is concerned I don't think there will be this huge market for him. He's had some injury problems in the past. And as we just saw teams weren't exactly fighting over each other for Welker. Considered one of the best ever. I had no problem moving on from Welker at all and feel the same way about Edelman. I would have no problem paying him the same as DA. We also have Boyce and again DA. We can fill that need pretty easy imo through FA or the draft.

I'm much more concerned with the TE position. Gronk has proven unreliable. We need to utilize Bradys greatest strengths and can't do so without a legit TE. Before Gronk came back he only completed 7 passes to that position. I think O-Line and TE are biggest needs unless Talib isnt resigned

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lioneljoe. Show lioneljoe's posts

Right now Edleman is more valuable to the team them DA. If you can only keep one the choice is obvious. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I can see them bringing back the entire wr / slot group as is. they won't draft for one and they will not overpay for FAs

I don't consider Gronk " unreliable" because some azzwhole decided to slam his helmet into Gronks knee

z

Right now JE is all of WW and he now has better hands. I can see WWs career over with concussed real soon. if we lose JE we may lose him to the broncs as they have the one other Qb who knows how and will use him correctly

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to DeadAhead's comment:

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

The same contract as Amendola.

Yep. Or a bit more.  He'll work with BB and stay for a 3-4 year deal.  They can give him most of the guaranteed money in 2015 and 2016.

He's been the offense's MVP if not team MVP.  Thanks again to BB for making another correct decision.

you see, this is total BS. BB left Edelman twisting in the wind for almost 2 months this past free agency period. Edelman went to NY to talk with the Jints. If the Jints offered Edelman $1M, he would have walked on the PAts.

BB signed Edelman for only 1 year at $750k...if BB was so smart, he would have signed Edelman for 3/$6M with game incentives. Now BB has to watch Edelman walk way or guarantee him $10-$12M

Bad move by BB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I know there's a massive failure of reading comprehension skills, not to mention numerical awareness, among a large number on this board. But this dead horse has been beaten so often, it's begging to be shot.

Amendola's salary in 2013 was $2 million and his cap hit was $3.5 million. Those are hardly crippling numbers. It goes up about $1 million per year on each through 2017, but they can cut or restructure him after 2014, becase his dead money hit then is affordable. 

There is ZERO reason the Patriots couldn't afford a similar contract for Edelman, if he were willing to sign such a deal. They'll have plenty of cap space for that kind of contract. 

LOL!

Muzz, you must be so frustrated being the guy who educates the board on this topic only to have it ignored by morons and children. Christ, Mt Hurl still thinks there is no cap or it doesn't matter and BB should  have paid Peppers 16 million per in 2010 into a lockout.

It's a collective mental block when it comes to this particular contract. Everybody has it in their brain that it's some terrible, Albert Pujols type contract. The reality is it's team friendly, and they can walk from it after next year.

Amendola's cap hit between this year and next is about $5 mil less than Aaron Hernandez's. So if they don't sign Edelman, blame that guy, not the guy who actually played. Hernandez's cap hit next year is $7.5 mil, Amendola's is $4.7.

Muzzy, Amendola was paid $3.5M for 2013. In 2014 his cap hit is $4.7M, but if he is cut in 2014 his dead money is $6.8M. His cap hit in 2015 is $5.7M, and if cut his dead money is $3.6M.

The PAts would have 2 options with Amendola. Restructure him or cut him. Restructure 99% of the time means extending a contract and adding more money. Cutting means a significant dead money hit. I dont think the PAts want to do either

In 2014, the PAts have $120m already under cntract against a salary cap of approx $122M.

They will need approx $5M to sign rookies and they like to have some working capitol in season (carry over) of anywhere from $5-$7M.

The Pats need to cut/restructure almost $10M simply to sign rookies and carry over. This does not address Wendell, Talib, Edelman, Spikes, Blount or any other free agent.

It has been discussed Vince and Mankins are candidates to restructure. If they do, certainly a big if, this could allow the Pats to save approx $10M.

To sign Edelman certainly involves a guarantee of approx $10M, and a cap hit of $2.5-$3.5 next year. Talib? Wendell? Spikes?

Where do the PAts find the money to get under the cap enough to make these moves? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

It's a collective mental block when it comes to this particular contract. Everybody has it in their brain that it's some terrible, Albert Pujols type contract. The reality is it's team friendly, and they can walk from it after next year.

Amendola's cap hit between this year and next is about $5 mil less than Aaron Hernandez's. So if they don't sign Edelman, blame that guy, not the guy who actually played. Hernandez's cap hit next year is $7.5 mil, Amendola's is $4.7.

[/QUOTE]

Muzzy, Amendola was paid $3.5M for 2013. In 2014 his cap hit is $4.7M, but if he is cut in 2014 his dead money is $6.8M. His cap hit in 2015 is $5.7M, and if cut his dead money is $3.6M.

The PAts would have 2 options with Amendola. Restructure him or cut him. Restructure 99% of the time means extending a contract and adding more money. Cutting means a significant dead money hit. I dont think the PAts want to do either

He was paid a salary of $2 million in 2013, his cap hit was $3.5 mil. Do you honestly not think the Patriots couldn't give this exact same contract to Edelman? Why the heck not? You are correct on the dead money, so Amendola will be with the team in '14 and they can move from him or restructure him after next year, which is exactly what I've been saying. There's no need to do anything with him, his contract is a non-issue. It has nothing to do with Edelman, nothing.

In 2014, the PAts have $120m already under cntract against a salary cap of approx $122M.

Their adjusted cap this year was about $129 million, so not sure where you get $122 for next year, but anyway...

They will need approx $5M to sign rookies and they like to have some working capitol in season (carry over) of anywhere from $5-$7M.

The Pats need to cut/restructure almost $10M simply to sign rookies and carry over. This does not address Wendell, Talib, Edelman, Spikes, Blount or any other free agent.

It has been discussed Vince and Mankins are candidates to restructure. If they do, certainly a big if, this could allow the Pats to save approx $10M.

They will let Vince go, or give him a veteran minimum deal to stay if he wants that. Savings from letting him go is $8 million, if he stays at a minimum it will be $7 milliion. Mankins will probably be restructured, but could just be allowed to play out his deal and be gone after next year.

To sign Edelman certainly involves a guarantee of approx $10M, and a cap hit of $2.5-$3.5 next year. Talib? Wendell? Spikes?

Where do the PAts find the money to get under the cap enough to make these moves? 

Some other possible moves and associated cap savings (in millions):

Sopoaga cut:  $2.75 

Mayo cut or redone: up to $3.7

Gregory cut: $2.3

AWilson cut:  $1.2

Kelly cut: $2.5

Ghost cut or redone: up to $3.0

There's up to $15 million on top of $8 million from Vince and whatever they do with Mankins, pretty soon they're in good shape. I don't expect Mayo or Ghost to get whacked, but they could be redone. Maybe Kelly stays or gets redone, but in any case they will have at least $16 to $20 million to work with. Plenty to keep Edelman, Talib and whoever else they want to, plus add a piece or two.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

To me it looks like we gave the wrong guy the long term deal and money-oh well cant hit on them all?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

They won't pay him Amendola money. He will either sign for a few mil or BB will let him walk. It is quite unlikely BB will spend some big bucks on a guy who has been hurt in the past and has one good year under his belt, when he has invested and seen some marginally decent work from a few new guys. It's just not how he operates.

If BB was all that interested you would probably have heard of some negotiations already.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

He was paid a salary of $2 million in 2013, his cap hit was $3.5 mil. Do you honestly not think the Patriots couldn't give this exact same contract to Edelman? Why the heck not? You are correct on the dead money, so Amendola will be with the team in '14 and they can move from him or restructure him after next year, which is exactly what I've been saying. There's no need to do anything with him, his contract is a non-issue. It has nothing to do with Edelman, nothing.

Muzzy, I do think they would give him a similar contract if they could afford to. I simply d not think they can afford to. Of course signing Edelma has everything to do with Amendola. Amendola salary is a point of reference for an Edelman salary, and Amendola is already taking a decent slice of the salary allotment for tha position with the Pats

Their adjusted cap this year was about $129 million, so not sure where you get $122 for next year, but anyway...

The salary cap is approx $122M, however the Pats used carry over this year (use it or lose it) which put them over the cap. Next years cap number is a similar approx $122

They will let Vince go, or give him a veteran minimum deal to stay if he wants that. Savings from letting him go is $8 million, if he stays at a minimum it will be $7 milliion. Mankins will probably be restructured, but could just be allowed to play out his deal and be gone after next year.

I agree there is the potential to renegotiate Vince, and the savings could be anywhere frm $5-$6M.

Some other possible moves and associated cap savings (in millions):

Sopoaga cut:  $2.75 agree. big disappointment

Mayo cut or redone: up to $3.7 not cutting Mayo, that will work in reverse as it will cost he Pats more tocut him than keep him at his current salary

Gregory cut: $2.3 I could agree, but who plays S? McCourty, Harmon and TWilson? They would need another S, and could they get one at $2M that is better than Gregory?? I dont think so.

AWilson cut:  $1.2 agree. no brainer

Kelly cut: $2.5 disagree. this is a weak position for the Pats, and Kelly at $3M is a good deal

Ghost cut or redone: up to $3.0 disagree. I say resign him to 4/$15

There's up to $15 million on top of $8 million from Vince and whatever they do with Mankins, pretty soon they're in good shape. I don't expect Mayo or Ghost to get whacked, but they could be redone. Maybe Kelly stays or gets redone, but in any case they will have at least $16 to $20 million to work with. Plenty to keep Edelman, Talib and whoever else they want to, plus add a piece or two.

Muzz, you have cut some $$$, but tremendously weakend the team. If you do cut to the bone like you say, there is $20M in savings. But $5M of that is for rookies, $5-$7M of that is for carry over. YOu now hve $8M to replace Vince and Kelly, sign Talib, Wendell, Edelman, Blount, Spikes. I do not agree wth you that they cut so drastic to the bone, nor do they have the $$$ to sign everyone. Talib is the prioity, Edelman is not affordable on this team 

Yep. Muzzy bludgeons RKrap. The Krapper is down! The Krapper is down!

I am never down Russell. You know that over the years of me proving yo wrong time and time again

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Yep. Or a bit more.  He'll work with BB and stay for a 3-4 year deal.  They can give him most of the guaranteed money in 2015 and 2016.

He's been the offense's MVP if not team MVP.  Thanks again to BB for making another correct decision.

you see, this is total BS. BB left Edelman twisting in the wind for almost 2 months this past free agency period. Edelman went to NY to talk with the Jints. If the Jints offered Edelman $1M, he would have walked on the PAts.

BB signed Edelman for only 1 year at $750k...if BB was so smart, he would have signed Edelman for 3/$6M with game incentives. Now BB has to watch Edelman walk way or guarantee him $10-$12M

Bad move by BB

You're a fraud loser.  People were calling him Edelwoman right up into camp this year, including you.  You're a fraud. A legendary fraud.

Every single move BB makes, even if a good one, you sit there all arrogant with some kind of an armchair angle that spins some kind of a negative.  You're doing it right now.

"he shoulda done this..he shoulda done that"....WHAT A LOSER you are.

Edelman ain't going anywhere. I'll take a wager from you right now on that subject, turdling.

Muzzy just destroyed you, too. Destroyed you as the Debbie Downer troll you are.

RKrap..aka The Krapper^^^

I was never down on Edelman, ever. I begged the Pats to resign him. He was the best WR for the Pats prior to injury.

Did BB make a good move signing Edelman for only 1 year? Clearly today, the answer is no. That is not criticism, that is fact. Of course you already know that Pats paid Lloyd $3M NOT TO PLAY THIS YEAR, but paid Edelman $750 this year.

If you are willing to wager that Edelman is back next year, at least post at what salary does he return to this team? Keep in mind over the course of his entire career, he has made less than $2.5M, and this next contract is probably his last contract.

I would also like to see you post a ranking of the following free agent prioitizing which the PAts should sign;

Talib

Edelman

Spikes

Wendell

Blount

Svitek

Hooman 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

They won't pay him Amendola money. He will either sign for a few mil or BB will let him walk. It is quite unlikely BB will spend some big bucks on a guy who has been hurt in the past and has one good year under his belt, when he has invested and seen some marginally decent work from a few new guys. It's just not how he operates.

If BB was all that interested you would probably have heard of some negotiations already.

pretty much the truth. IF WW can't win poker with BB-can anyone? Edeleman will be a sweet 2013 memory. the one good season does not open up the treasure box.

I hope Edelman stays, and has another 100 catch 1,000 yeard injury freeseason next year, and then maybe he can get the big payday

• You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4160947. Show user_4160947's posts

I can honestly say that JE has surprised me, and I think he surprised most of us- including BB.  JE's comments are pretty humble too, saying what it was like to learn from the best, WW.  In retrospect, the Pats saw something when they started him for the 1st 3-4 games last season.  So, what happens now?  Can they tag him?  How much will it cost?  To me the benchmark is the deal that WW got in Denver, which is about that of DA, at 6 mil/yr.  The one year tag would be affordable, but steep.  It would be like the "show me" deal for Talib this year.  Sure, it could backfire and his price go up the following year.  For that to happen, however, would mean JE had another very good year.  That's a plus for the Pats.  By the way, let's not forget it is TB that makes these slot receivers so good.  With a year's more work, he can bring Boyce up to speed.  We still have that Moe guy in the background.  Maybe another year it what DA needs to find the zone.  Finally, Vereen is versatile, has goods hands (I think), knows the route tree, and is a monster YAC guy. 

Regarding the other issue in this thread, if I could wear the GM hat this is the direction I would go.

Spikes is a goner- that knee is balky and he is SLOW.  Will always be a 2-down LB, which is an anachromism in the passing NFL.  His departure opens things up for Hightower, Collins, Fletcher, Buchanon, and even Beauharnais.

Mayo-see above.  He has become obsolete the way this new D is performing.  Sure, he makes a lot of tackles but they are always 6-8 yds downfield, which means the D failed.  He has no instincts (like Bruschi and that Keukly guy).  He will restructure or walk.

Mankins- restructure or walk.  Kline and Svitek must be showing something and now Mattes is back.  They are preparing for replacements in the OLine.

Wendell- He is serviceable and the center position is key for TB's comfort.  He has looked better the past 3 weeks too.  His status depends on Mankins, the health of Vollmer and whether they move Connolly back to center. 

Talib-  this is a biggie.  I hope they will pay him.  This defense sparkles with him on the field.  He is vocal, has the swag, and smart.  BB will make team-friendly offer, with lots of incentives, and up-front money in years 2015 and 2016 (cap friendly).  Honestly, I don't think Talib will take the deal.  It will be about winning.  Does he want SBs or straight cash homey?  This year's outcome might be the key factor in the deal.

Who's left?  Hooman is a JAG.  They'll be looking to solidy/upgrade this position next year anyways.  Remember all the TEs in camp last year?  Same thing next year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Bad move by BB

^ Truth.

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

pretty much the truth. IF WW can't win poker with BB-can anyone? Edeleman will be a sweet 2013 memory. the one good season does not open up the treasure box.

I hope Edelman stays, and has another 100 catch 1,000 yeard injury freeseason next year, and then maybe he can get the big payday

BB may not be the best at bringing new talent in, but he is nearly infallible as a HC, with knowing who to keep. He also knows, from years of direct experience, that Brady can make many mediocre talent receivers into stars. In this light, I doubt he is fearing losing Edelman much.

I really hope he stays. The guy is extremely easy to root for.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Got deep many times. Brady was busy over-using Gronk, Welkie and Hern. Fact.

How many passes did you want him to attempt in 2012, moron?  6 million?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Moron. So true. 

You never cease to be the phony.

In one post you praise BB because he could let go of a guy with Lloyd's robust production; in the other you claim Brady under-used him.

If you're not lying, you're not awake.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Moron. So true. 

Haha, RallyC still following me around posting after each of my posts.  Meltdown #2 from him is sure to happen.

Despite succeeding in Josh McDaniels' offense in previous years, Lloyd disappointed in New England, catching 74 passes (on 130 targets) for 911 yards and four touchdowns. Throughout the entire season, it appeared that Brady and Lloyd struggled to develop chemistry

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/26/4033076/brandon-lloyd-release-patriots-mike-wallace

But while Lloyd is always good for a few spectacular catches, for the most part he looked more like a replaceable cog in a great passing attack than a game changer.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/report-patriots-got-tired-of-brandon-lloyds-behavior/

Lloyds longest reception last season was 52 yards, ave 12 yards a catch, deep threat.,... LOL! Morons.

RallyC clearly never played the game before and Rusty still posting garbage.

Lasted 1 season with the Pats.  Another Josh McD flop.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Edelman plays like one crazy dude. Thats why he gets hurt. Never takes plays off, wish we had more.

• Sections
    Shortcuts