Edelman's future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Edelman's future

I was wondering what people think about the future of Julian Edelman.  He already had looked like he was developing into a solid future slot receiver, but after watching him play the 3rd receiver on the outside this past weekend, I ask:

Can Julian Edelman be a legitimate outside receiver opposite Moss, with Welker in the slot?  

I think first of all, he definitely has the quickness to be a slot player.  Also, I think for various reasons, including skin color, he has been type-cast into that spot.

Looking further into it, however, Edelman is a shade under 6 feet tall and almost 200 pounds, size comparable to many outside receivers in the NFL.  He also ran a 4.5 forty yard dash, faster than many players playing outside positions in the NFL.  He can still take advantage of his quickness with short and intermediate routes, but I think he may be able to get over the top of the defense at times as well.  It may be unlikely, but I could see him as a slightly less physical version of David Givens.  Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boom95. Show boom95's posts

Re: Edelman's future

Worse case i think he will be a great # 4 . Would love to see branch back next year to see that group play together. In a year or 2 edelman might replace welker due to money we will see.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

He will be fine, this guy had never played WR before.  He was a QB in college, he needs time to adjust to a new position.

He has the physical tools to be a good one.  He did ok filling in for WW early in the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

no.  Not fast enough, not tall enough to fight for a ball that's in the air for grabs.

It's not like he's physically inclined like Brandon Marshall or something...

He's got the build of a welker....and chrebet

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the pats need a third receiver threat now,or next year.not a few years from now.relying on possibilities will not help them.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

average receiver height is around 6 foot

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

No way you can put him in the same class as David Givens, Givens was a big physical WR and Edelman is....well not. I like the kid but to be honest he has already shown that he is a little injury prone and add the fact that he was a QB up until he got here and I think there is a good chance he spends a lot of time on the injury list in his future.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

If Seattle lets Deion Branch go next season I am all for a reunion of the BB-TD (Brady-to-Branch for TD). If Deion hadn't asked for a trade in 06, we would not have gone after Moss-man and WW or received Meriweather. 

Branch, Welker and Moss with a healthy Brady? Unstoppable!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i really like tate as a thrid option. whenever hes healthy....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

It's possible, I think the main reason for the 3rd reciever problem this year is injuries.  They started with Galloway who couldn't catch.  After that Edelman who got injured, then Aiken, then Stanback, then Tate.  Nobody has been consistently healthy.  I think right now Edelman is the best option, but for next year I see Edelman, Tate, Stanback and probably a couple new guys competing in training camp.  Tate was an excellent college reciever, so at worst next year should produce a solid #3 and #4 option in Edelman and Tate.

As far as being a #2 guy though, as long as Moss and Welker are here they will always be the best options in a 2 reciever set.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from +Mrboston. Show +Mrboston's posts

Should have kept Gafney.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vapatfan1. Show vapatfan1's posts

I think Edelman is worth having on the team for the next few years to see how he progesses as an NFL WR.  Having never really played WR until the NFL you have to let him progress and see how far he can go.

Having said that I believe the greater interest will be how Brandon Tate fits into the receiving rotation.  He has the better upside as a true No. 3 reciever opposite Moss, who BTW isn't going to be around forever (like maybe next year and that's it)

Frankly I'm a bit worn out by the Aiken experiment and come April, I would love to see BB get another WR in the middle to upper rounds.  ..or FA.  I think BB has a good record spotting and signing WR talent in FA.

Branch is too injury prone anymore to be effective.  Forget about it...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Meh, with Baker and Watson..stay on the side-line shrimpy. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Edelman has Welker-like lateral acceleration.  If he gets quite precise in his route running he should be undefendable over the middle.

That said, next year he'll throw a few slash passes.  A Welker with a downfield arm?  That's scary.

Right now the team's offense is scary enough. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Edelman is awesome.  They should keep him.  He is a Welker mini-me.  No downside.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Other than being white, and a wide reciever I haven't seen anything to make me believe he is a Welker. 
    He has  27 receptions for 256 yards in 10 games.
    Welker 122 receptions for 1336 yards in 13 games

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

First: 11/9/2009
    Last: 12/29/2009
    Other than being white, and a wide reciever I haven't seen anything to make me believe he is a Welker. 
    He has  27 receptions for 256 yards in 10 games.
    Welker 122 receptions for 1336 yards in 13 games

Not necessarily meaningful stats.  What might be a better comparison is for example: average yards per catch, or YAC, or catches for 1st down, percentage of catches per pass attempts from QB....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I thought he showed promise returning kicks and punts. I would much rather see him back there than Wes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Bubba, I don't know where you could find the YAC statistic, or catches per pass attempt.
                    HT/WT/     YPC/      Catch for 1st down

Edelman     6-0/198      9.5          48.1%
    Welker       5-9/185      11.0        57.6%
    Aiken         6-2/215      17.6        64.8%
    Moss         6-4/210       15.2        75.4%

Edelman is as close to Moss' size as he is to Welker.  I'm not saying he can't be good but I think all the comparisons to Welker come from how he looks and not how he plays.  He's barely played and hasn't proven anything, let alone shown that he can be as good as one of the best WR's in the NFL. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from heisthejuan. Show heisthejuan's posts

Shenanigan,

Not fair to compare a rookie 7th round pick who played QB at Kent State last season to a Pro Bowler. From Reiss's first rookie camp reports, to his punt return in the pre season, to his big catch last week, Edelman has been intriguing. He's also been hurt some. Who knows what his ceiling is, but I love the risk reward so far.

Comparing him to Welker: Yes they're both white, but they also both possess termendous lateral and start/stop quickness. Hopefully Edelman follows Welker like a puppy over the next few seasons and can learn to fully utilize his talents.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Juan, I agree.  What you're saying is sort of my point.  I think he has potential, but I just can't see how he is being compared to Welker with so little playing time.  It's like watching someone like Aiken or Tate catch 25 passes in a season and then saying they play like Randy Moss.  Hopefully he turns out great, but the truth is their is a 99.9% chance that he will not be as good as Welker because almost no reciever is.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

I hope he learns all he can from Welker and becomes the future slot for the patriots. another good find for BB 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from simoncan. Show simoncan's posts

Edelman's a play maker.  You can see it... he catches the ball, makes people miss, runs low and quick.  He plays with emotion.  He's really exciting to watch.  To my eyes he's a better talent than anyone they've thrown in there after Moss and Welker. 

It would be an interesting experiment to make Edelman the 3rd receiver.  He's not the big, physical receiver type... but could they make it work consistently with Moss, Welker and Edelman in 3 wide receiver sets?  It would be a different kind of offense....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from geoffchox. Show geoffchox's posts

Julian Edelman : :Height: 6-0 Weight: 195
    Reggie Wayne :Height: 6-0 Weight: 198

What is small about Edelman? shenanigans is right, the only similarity is his skin/lateral quickness.

He is bigger, taller and appears to be a bit faster than WW. I think they should use him more on punt returns. Ex QB can be trusted to make good decisions with the ball in front of a rush.

The fact that he never played WR before and is already looking good bodes well for the pats. Imagine him after an NFL caliber off season