Edelman's future

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Re: Edelman's future

@geoffchox....That was a great stat you posted.  I knew Reggie Wayne was a small guy, but I didnt realize he was that small.  Although RW is a Pro-Bowler I think if TB can try to develop some chemistry with JE then there is a chance he can play outside.  Wayne is a great reciever, but you cannot deny that Manning has made most of his recievers look like Pro-Bowlers.  Something that TB used to do before Obrien started calling plays.  Austin Collie and Pierre Garceau have done a great job for the colts.  It would be nice to see Edelman break out at some point, but then again as its been so obviously pointed out, he was a college qb that has never played reciever before.  But it would definately be nice to see him used different ways besides boxing him in as a slot reciever.

Another thing, Why isnt he returning kicks or punts.  Didnt he bring one back in the Preseason?  They still got WW back there as if he dont see the field enough.  Why not put him on Kickoff returns?  He is pretty quick and everyone they have used up to this point on kickoff returns have been extremely ineffective.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Edelman is a slot guy with outside capability on a limited basis. He will replace Welker in a couple years.
    People say Bill will never draft a WR early... well, he did with a second round pick but we all know that didn't work out but Jackson was a second tier WR. I think he will draft an elite WR (guy who can replace Moss in a year or two from now) with this or the next draft. Might make the most sense to pick one up in 2011 draft unless we can get one in first round with out moving up too much. I don't think Bill will spend a lot to move up for the couple WR's that fit that mold in the draft but if he can use a second and a 5th lets say to move up enough to get one I see that happening otherwise he can wait and hopefully have the opportunity to get one in 2011 draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

Stanback is bigger and faster. It will be Stanback or Tate on the outside and Edelman on the inside (slot). Edelman had the fastest "shuffle" in the 2009 draft class, he is a quick guy, not a fast guy, just like Welker. Stanback and Tate are fast guys. Tate and Standback on the outside to stretch the field, Edelman in the slot to do the Welker jitterbug. Stanback and Edelman were college quarterbacks so it will be a few years before they emerge (Welker was a college receiver and it still took him a few years).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

Welker is white?

(just wanted to point out how ridiculous it is to add race into any discussion)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Edelman is raw that is for sure but he does run good routes for a guy who was just turned into a WR.

Pros are

Runs good routes and is going to steadily improve
    Fast even though his 40 time doesnt show for it his shuttle time does though.
    Very good hands

Cons
    Undersized
    Raw while he does run solid good routes this is his first time ever running routes lol.

If he works out this offseason and puts on a good 5 pounds of muscle he will be okay. He just needs more time honestly to work with Brady on the outside and he can be a legit number 3. Unless the Pats sign a guy like Kevin Walter in the offseason they need to address it in the draft and with a guy like Golden Tate.

Edelman could work out especially with Brady under center but hes going to have to continue to work hard.

Oh and to the idiot who brought up Deion Branch. Branch cant even stay healthy if he could he would be a great pickup but the guy cant stay healthy and he told the media that his knee will never be the same. D-O-N-E

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Golden Tate is a slot receiver.  

As far as Stanback and Tate being "speed guys" and Edelman being a "quick" guy, check this out:

40 yard dash times:

Julian Edelman: 4.51
    Brandon Tate:   4.52
    Isaiah Stanback: 4.60

I agree with the poster that says race issue is ridiculous, but the fact is, in the NFL, players ARE affected by their race...there are many articles about it, and white receivers, running backs, and defensive backs are at the forefront of that.

Edelman has just as much speed as the "outside"guys on the team.  And he's as big plenty of outside guys in the league.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

We need a 3rd WR and thats it, right now we don't have 1.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

I think he will be injury prone and not be in the game enough to ever make a real impact.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Big nose got 3 very good WR's,thats why he's so damm good this yr. Brady's got the 1 2 punch and thats it, that's Y we need a 3rd WR.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

What really Fcked us this yr. is not having Gaff as the 3rd WR.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I didnt know Golden Tate was a slot reciever.  Everytime I seen him play he was catching deep passes on the sidelines. Never really saw him underneath or cutting across.  Well even if he played slot at ND I still think he can play no.3 receiver.  Golden Tate is going to be an incredible WR in the NFL.  I compare him to a Steve Smith type.  I doubt NE will pick him up, but whoever gets him is going to get a great pick.  Mark my words.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Brady always looked 4 Gaff as his 3rd opp.,this yr he's got squat 2 look it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I think this post is atleast a year away, this guy was QB not a WR in college. He not only has to learn how to play in pros he has to learn a new position. 
    Not so much worried about his height more than I am his durability.  If he can stay healthy he will get better as he learns more and more this offense and his new position.
    He has the quickness, speed and work ethic to be a very good WR for us for years to come.  He's a 7th round pick don't expect RW numbers from this guy.  He will be a solid #3 by next season.  Give him some time to work with Brady, I can't wait to see him, WW, RM tate in a 4 receiver formation. 

Sections
Shortcuts