Edlemen on Defense

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Edlemen on Defense

In Response to Re: Edlemen on Defense:
    [QUOTE]Do you think his body would hold up as a FS?  He isn't exactly Hulk Hogan.   But he sure has the speed and agility needed to solve their problems in the middle of the field.  I figured him as a nickle.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Well he is basically the same size as Sterling Moore. Just within 2lbs of him based on his listing. So, yes, I think he could do it. Not ideal size for a FS, but I think he would be effective.
    As I said, I like him better in this role based on 2 things;
    1. He's fast and is in a better position to read the QB. Being an offensive player and a past QB, I think that would pay dividends.
    2. He's not afraid to lay the wood and come up and hit people. The kid plays ST, so I'm not concerned with this.

He's always had some durability issues even when he didn't play defense. I just think to build depth, you try him there as well. Just my 2 cents.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/23/torrey-smith-von-miller-julian-edelman-win-afc-awards/

Edelman wins special teams player of the week

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

He didnt get a sack but put a stick on Young forcing a bad throw and caused big vince to get up slowly...  Also tackled him in the open field preventing a TD... 

didnt it seem like edelman was in on every play while he was in there...?

In response to: Edlemen on Defense. . You read it here first ....  Edelman blitzes from slot next week and gets his first sack.  That's something even troy brown never had a chance to do, but it seems like a great way to use Edelmans quickness on defense...
    Posted by coolade2[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

Gotta admire the versatility of the dude.  To even be on the field in a defensive situation.  Bad and green cover guys get exploited all the time.  That he can simply "hang in there" is testament to his atheleticism and football IQ.  The dude is not bad.  Not bad at all.  Kudos to him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I think its more depth desperation. Give the regs a rest to lick their wounds. Chung is looking more and more like a china doll to me. He cant stay on the field. I like Edlemen but I wouldnt want him as my starting corner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I think he is being used perfectly..as the slot corner in nickel packages .  Close to the line, quick response to runs, the guy is a natural.  Again like Troy brown he is defending the position that he plays on offense so he anticipates the moves etc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MuellerTime19. Show MuellerTime19's posts

I want Edelman as a Safety!! Atleast they have to try it in practice right? I hope they do. It's worth a shot. He is fast and smart. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]If the Pats have to use Edelman for any extended period of time in the secondary, that is an issue, especially against good QBs. He looked okay,but again, it was up against Sancheeze who absolutely stinks. The good thing is the remainder of our schedule is somewhat soft. KC next week presents some challenges, but Cassell could be out with an injury. Lets hope guys heal up quickly because we'll need all hands on deck down the stretch.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, but if Sanchez is so bad how does he have 8 come from behind victories in three years. At times against the Bills he didn't look very good but he threw some nice passes, especially late in the game on the closing drive to beat the Bills. Not saying he's the next coming of Johnny Unitas or the current Bills defense is the next coming of the Steelers Iron Curtain but I don't think he's as bad as some around here portray .  To rate him among todays NFL QBs, he probably somewhere in the middle of the group. Trouble is when Sanchez looks bad he looks awful. Reminds me a bit of Tony Romo who can look great one game and who seems make a living of finding a way to lose it at the just the wrong time. Can't believe Romo is actually the 4th best rated passer in the NFL this year. Maybe with tons of experience he's finally figured out how to play consistantly and not choke in big games.     

As for Edlemen, the defensive backfield is pretty depleted with all of the injuries so if a player like Edlemen is flexible and is willing to help out in the short term we're fortunate to have him play for the Pats. Who know, maybe he'll improve and become a regular FS in the future. Stranger things could happen, like Brady playing Middle Linebacker !!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

More likely would be Edelman at QB ... running a few wildcat plays...

the play of this guy is definitely a source of inspiration for this team .  It's not a stretch to call him a leader on this defense just by the way he plays .

Response to Re: Edlemen on Defense:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Edlemen on Defense : Don't get me wrong, but if Sanchez is so bad how does he have 8 come from behind victories in three years. At times against the Bills he didn't look very good but he threw some nice passes, especially late in the game on the closing drive to beat the Bills. Not saying he's the next coming of Johnny Unitas or the current Bills defense is the next coming of the Steelers Iron Curtain but I don't think he's as bad as some around here portray .  To rate him among todays NFL QBs, he probably somewhere in the middle of the group. Trouble is when Sanchez looks bad he looks awful. Reminds me a bit of Tony Romo who can look great one game and who seems make a living of finding a way to lose it at the just the wrong time. Can't believe Romo is actually the 4th best rated passer in the NFL this year. Maybe with tons of experience he's finally figured out how to play consistantly and not choke in big games.      As for Edlemen, the defensive backfield is pretty depleted with all of the injuries so if a player like Edlemen is flexible and is willing to help out in the short term we're fortunate to have him play for the Pats. Who know, maybe he'll improve and become a regular FS in the future. Stranger things could happen, like Brady playing Middle Linebacker !!
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

Edleman has been terrific as the nickleback. Glad to see him contributing in multiple facets of the game.

I think he got beat once on a double move while he was in there? Pretty good for a QB/WR/PR/KR/DB

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Looking like a beast so far.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Edlemen is a gamer.  He knows how to tackle.  We'll have to see how well he covers when put in a position to cover an all-pro receiver.  I know one thing, he is going to try and not quit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Edleman has never played defense at this level of the game, no?  You can argue that there is a learning curve and he should have the capacity to improve.

I thought I was crazy for saying this earlier....BUT if Edleman can play like a serviceable CB (not great just serviceable) Then why not keep him there and see how he handles it the rest of the year? considering how he has played the last two games(and the lack of depth and injuries). He hasn't exactly played like Revis at the position, but I thought it would be a disaster last week, and I was pleasantly surprised this week.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I think BB is out of options in the secondary, and even with the return of Chung and DMC at some point, Eldelmen is playing very well back there and will probably continue the remainder of the season seeing most of his playing time on D. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Edelman to key on Tebow and shut him down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

good call, Edelman will hound Tebow. 

He's a good weapon against the run, put the lick on the QB rush, textbook tackles, plays hyped all the time.  if only he had the size of Rodney Harrison, but I'm willing to see if he can hold the top next to Chung when Chung gets back.  It's been a problem for the defense so whats the harm in trying.

He'd have been a great Rover back if he had the size.  His game is perfect for it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

BB has always had a knack for smelling out the multi-talented football player.  Edelman was a QB in college.  He obviously has an understanding about the passing game, the quickness to cover, and his punt returns consistantly show that he moves his feet well when changing direction.  Thus far, he has tackled extremely well.  I hope he remains part of nickle and dime defenses permanently.  Reminds me of Troy Brown's versality. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Edleman has been more than serviceable on d. Hes quiet the tackler, has a nose for the ball and has the quickness and footwork to cover a lot of slot receivers. Hes just a FOOTBALL PLAYER. BB does it again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

[QUOTE]Edleman has been more than serviceable on d. Hes quiet the tackler, has a nose for the ball and has the quickness and footwork to cover a lot of slot receivers. Hes just a FOOTBALL PLAYER. BB does it again.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]

That's 100% correct!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Edleman has been more than serviceable on d. Hes quiet the tackler, has a nose for the ball and has the quickness and footwork to cover a lot of slot receivers. Hes just a FOOTBALL PLAYER. BB does it again.
    Posted by gman101019[/QUOTE]

he is an an effective backfill...nothing more.

the reason he's been effective is that nobody plans for him. make him a regular and  teams will start planning to take advantage of him being on the field. it won't be difficult given his size.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Edelman to key on Tebow and shut him down.  
    Posted by expertmike[/QUOTE]

this would be an appropriate use for edelman -- an unconventional solution to an unconventional challenge

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Edlemen on Defense : he is an an effective backfill...nothing more. the reason he's been effective is that nobody plans for him. make him a regular and  teams will start planning to take advantage of him being on the field. it won't be difficult given his size.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Julian Edelman   #11 WR

Height: 5-10   Weight: 198   Age: 25

Darrelle Revis   #24 CB

Height: 5-11   Weight: 198   Age: 26

Yeah... I would say his size is a huge problem.  He is an inch shorter than Revis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

no way that the guy is 5'10"!!! my bad if he really is.
    if that's the case then he might be a real option at cb.
    his combination of quickness, experience at receiver, strength and tough mentaility would make him great.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

[QUOTE]no way that the guy is 5'10"!!! my bad if he really is. if that's the case then he might be a real option at cb. his combination of quickness, experience at receiver, strength and tough mentaility would make him great.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Dude... I couldn't believe it either... maybe the mullet gives him a couple extra inches.  He has been hitting hard.  Would be great if he could pick it up, he seems to have fallen out of the WR group.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I thought he was ok. They kept going his way trying to take advantage when he was in there but didn't really get the big play they wanted. What I like is that he appears to be made of concrete. Every time he hits someone they curl into the fetal position and suck their thumb.

Sections
Shortcuts