ELI is going to be highest paid player???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I say let them pay him that money, one of the main reasons I have always loved the Pats is guys like Brady dont get paid that much, in fact i think it says a lot about the franchise that we can convince a star like Brady to spread teh welth and take a 60 million dollar deal instead of a 110 million dollar deal so let them, hell let every other team in teh league throw money around thats the way its been for years and thats why we have been so good for so long because while other teams make dumb mistakes like spending way too much on a player and screwing themselfs in teh long term the Pats continue to pay guys what they are worth and not a peny more and that formula has done nothing but bring us succsess for 8 years so again i say let them pay him, is he worth that kind of money? no he isnt but he is not on my football team and so i dont care.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

Eli is not worth a used condom.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

m

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

Coolade2.... LMAO

Could not have said it better !!!!

That sums up Goobers..err Eli's legacy !!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rxmsg. Show rxmsg's posts

I think the Pat's will have a new and bigger chip on their shoulders in 2009.

How's 19-0 in 2009 sound to everybody?

I could taste it in 2007...heck why not in 2009 ?!!!!

Redemption baby !!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from papifan111. Show papifan111's posts

In BB we trust, (is there a chance for a 50 year extention in the NFL?) LOL id like BB to be here as long as Paterno has coached, BB is wat 50? 35 more years sounds good.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I used to think Eli was better than his brother. He surely got hot last year, and I'm not speaking of the last drive of the SB. He made many clutch plays down the stretch and on the road in the playoffs. And he was looking pretty good this season, as well. But I must have underestimated the value of "Shoot-em-up" Burress! I think that $120 million is way too much. Now he may rebound, but maybe he's got that "Manning gene" which will cause him to fold in inopportune moments. We shall see if they wasted their money or not. The Giants had made some good personnel moves, but this will hurt them, IMO. And whether or not the NY fans are happy with this or not, one thing is for sure. If Eli folds again in the big game they will be back to wanting him run out of town. But maybe it will turn out good for NE. If they need to let Ward go, I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Patriots uniform. Hard to tell though, what they may do in FA. If they franchise Cassel I don't see them spending freely.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In a nutshell, when all is said and done.. this is a GIANTS' problem! Who cares what they do and pay, really? Let's focus on our Pats and their needs!! They can take this post and discuss on a Giants board!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

bill, my guess is that ever since Super Bowl 42, many Patriot fans have become obsessed with the Giants, taking delight in every failure and perceived failure.
    While any misfortune of the Giants as a team will bring great satisfaction to these fans, sheer euphoria will result if the cause of the misfortune is deemed to be Eli.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]bill, my guess is that ever since Super Bowl 42, many Patriot fans have become obsessed with the Giants, taking delight in every failure and perceived failure.
    While any misfortune of the Giants as a team will bring great satisfaction to these fans, sheer euphoria will result if the cause of the misfortune is deemed to be Eli.[/Quote]

A lot of folks didn't like Eli before the SB - the hype for nothing, the royal family of the NFL BS, the draft manipulation, the relation to Peyton, etc... Now, of course, some of this was media driven and beyond his control and some was driven by his papa, but the end result is that he is at the center of it all so he is the focus of dislike. Of course, winning the SB with a flying penguin of a throw just added fuel to an already enflamed fire. Me, I just like that Eli has finally demonstrated he is who we thought he was. Don't worry, the media will still love him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[Quote]bill, my guess is that ever since Super Bowl 42, many Patriot fans have become obsessed with the Giants, taking delight in every failure and perceived failure.
    While any misfortune of the Giants as a team will bring great satisfaction to these fans, sheer euphoria will result if the cause of the misfortune is deemed to be Eli.[/Quote]

Jar.. I am quite neutral when it comes to other teams. I don't celebrate their demise or celebrate their success. I am a Pats fan obviously. What I can say, which many NE Pats fans can say, prior to the AFL the Giants is all we had up in NE when it came to football. Also, I think much of the "delight" we see here is more directed at fans as is the hate directed at NE. It's a fan thing, right?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I never thought Eli was as bad as Blue New Jersey fan implied when they wanted him run out of town on a rail (along with his coach) halfway through last season. Nor did I think he was as good as the same fan would have had you believe after the Jints' improbable Super Bowl victory. He's a serviceable NFL quarterback, which is not a common thing in a league which finds room for such notables as Shaun Hill and Dan Orlovsky and Brody Croyle and Tarvaris Jackson and . . .

well, you get the idea.

Bringing a championship and a Super Bowl MVP home to the world's largest media market is a huge bargaining chip for Eli, and ultimately he won't take the hit for this year's early exit, thanks in no small part to his good buddy Cool Hand Plaxico.

I find it odd that we are discussing the relative worth of Blue New Jersey's quarterback when we've got an unknown quantity of our own set to wreck our salary cap.

It's very curious.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

prarie...
    Can we please stop with the " serviceable " nonsense?
    In the four full seasons that Eli has been the Giants starter, the Giants have made the playoffs all four times.
    They won the Super Bowl one of those times. Eli was the MVP that game. Lets see your list of "serviceable" QB's who can match that resume.
    If we all agree that the most important quality a QB can bring to his team is to get the most out of the rest of his teammates, then any reasonable fan( i. e., one that resides not in the New England area) would agree that Eli is far superior to a "serviceable " QB, and most likely deserves to be in the upper echeleon of active QB's, closer to a Peyton or Brady than a Shaun Hill or a Tavaris Jackson.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

. . . and several butchers' aprons.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Well, he's close enough to Peyton to be his brother, if that's what you mean. And if you're going to insist that winning the Super Bowl be part of the equation, Tom Brady just by himself kind of limits that discussion. The Super Bowl MVP doesn't impress me much. The Jints won that game on defense and the pass that ultimately turned the game in Blue New Jersey's favor looked more like a bad punt and only a miraculous catch by Tyree saved Eli's bacon on that play. I tend to agree that Eli is probably closer to the better quarterbacks in the league than the worst, but all that means is that there are beau coup really bad quarterbacks in the league, which I believe I mentioned. The bottom line, as far as this thread goes, is that I hope the Blue New Jersey brain trust blows half their cap on Mr. Ed, Jr. Anything that limits the team's ability to compete for actual good players is beneficial to the team I root for.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[Quote]prarie...
    Can we please stop with the " serviceable " nonsense?
    In the four full seasons that Eli has been the Giants starter, the Giants have made the playoffs all four times.
    They won the Super Bowl one of those times. Eli was the MVP that game. Lets see your list of "serviceable" QB's who can match that resume.
    If we all agree that the most important quality a QB can bring to his team is to get the most out of the rest of his teammates, then any reasonable fan( i. e., one that resides not in the New England area) would agree that Eli is far superior to a "serviceable " QB, and most likely deserves to be in the upper echeleon of active QB's, closer to a Peyton or Brady than a Shaun Hill or a Tavaris Jackson.[/Quote]

Yes, we can agree he is serviceable.

Quick question - on the Giants fan boards that you visit (assuming you visit any), is there some Pats fan there trying to defend Brady's paycheck?

I didn't think so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

[Quote]

Well, he's close enough to Peyton to be his brother, if that's what you mean. And if you're going to insist that winning the Super Bowl be part of the equation, Tom Brady just by himself kind of limits that discussion. The Super Bowl MVP doesn't impress me much. The Jints won that game on defense and the pass that ultimately turned the game in Blue New Jersey's favor looked more like a bad punt and only a miraculous catch by Tyree saved Eli's bacon on that play. I tend to agree that Eli is probably closer to the better quarterbacks in the league than the worst, but all that means is that there are beau coup really bad quarterbacks in the league, which I believe I mentioned. The bottom line, as far as this thread goes, is that I hope the Blue New Jersey brain trust blows half their cap on Mr. Ed, Jr. Anything that limits the team's ability to compete for actual good players is beneficial to the team I root for.

[/Quote]

I think Eli is in the top half of NFL QB's, but he's closer to Chad Pennington than he is to Brady or Peyton (and I think Peyton Manning is one of the most destestable personalities in the league). The Giants entire front 7 deserved the Superbowl MVP award far more than Eli. Neither QB did much in that game; it was a game decided by dominating defense and the Giants defense was just better.

The Giants probably are overpaying for one of the more overrated QB's in the league. But you're right, we should be more concerned about our own QB situation. I think the Patriots have to franchise Cassel and trade him. The idea that Brady should retire or be traded is absurd. I certainly wouldn't bet against him, but you have to concerned about whether he can come back from that injury.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

[Quote]

[/Quote]OK prarie, let me ask you again...
    Name me another QB playing today ( or yesterday, for that matter) who took his team to the playoffs in each of his first four seasons and earned a SB MVP as well.
    There must be a ton of them out there, what with all the "serviceable" QB's to drift through the NFL over the years.
    But here's a hint: Tom Brady didn't do it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

norger...
    Eli didn't do much in the SB because he didn't have to.
    His job, just like in the Bucs, Cowboys, and Packers games before, was to manage the game and not turn the ball over.
    I agree with you, the Giant defense deserved the MVP , but we don't hand out the awards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

It's a pretty narrow window to wiggle through, and the only guy in the Tom Brady (besides Tom Brady) era who can come close to matching the very specific terms of your argument would probably be Ben Roethlisberger (although he didn't win the Super Bowl MVP -- except I think we can all agree Eli didn't deserve the Super Bowl MVP). But that's not really the point. The point is you just reversed yourself in your last post and you're making my point for me. Eli doesn't make the players around him better, That TEAM carries Eli. Just look at Cool Hand Plaxico. There's a reason all Eli's passes go very nearly straight up in the air -- because Cool Hand is something like nine feet tall, and he hauls in those dying quails. Without Plaxico, and needing to rifle the ball where it needs to go instead of throwing it up for grabs . . . well, you saw what happened. All that said, I'm not trying to convince anybody that Eli sucks. He doesn't. But he is running to catch the streetcar his brother and Brady are already on . . . and I don't think he's gonna make it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

All fair points, I must admit Prarie...
    But I will say this..name me one "great" QB that wasn't surrounded by exceptional talent...
    Brady is the only one that comes to mind, but even that would be debatable, he's always had a very good O-Line in front of him.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Joe Montana didn't have a great amount of talent around him unitl his second two superbowls.

I think we can all agree that Elway didn't until he won. Which always made me question how much of a validation those two Superbowls really were. Denver ran for that . . . they didn't pass.

I think McNabb could state a case. He had T.O. for one season, and Westbrook for another.

History is littered with QBs who had oodles of talent like Marino, Aikman, Peyton Manning, Steve Young, Kurt Warner, Warren Moon, Jim Kelly, and of course Terry Bradshaw.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

B,

I agree. The Pats offensive line has been a very good line because it is coached very well, and because Tom Brady is very, very good at getting the ball out on time, and accurately.

That same line got gashed for sacks at a record pace the first half of this season, and when Drw Bledsoe was here before Tom. It took a QB who knew what he was doing to really get them going.

It has never been "great" by any standard. In fact, they have a history of dumping pro-bowl lineman only to see them stink in other places.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmmyslinski. Show jmmyslinski's posts

[Quote]

How come EVERYONE mentions the dropped Samuel interception (which would not have been an easy catch to make), yet no one mentions the pass that clanked off the hands of Brandon Merriwether a few plays later? That is why the Pats lost, not because of Samuel's "drop".[/Quote]

1) Asante Samuel is a corner, his job is to pick the ball off, on errant throws. As he had done so well in the playoffs.

2) Asante Samuel was NOT a rookie or sub, Merriwether was, so hegets a minor free pass for biggest game he'd ever play in. Samuel is expected NOT TO CHOKE.

3) Asante Samuel made it clear that year that he was going to leave the Patriots after the season, for whomever would "Show me the money!!" This made him an easy target to blame.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

[Quote]
    Jar59:
    Yes, TB has always (thankfully) had a very good O-line in front of him. But even then, in comparing teams with multiple SB wins, the Pats' offensive line (as good as they are) would still be ranked below (IMHO) the offensive lines that protected Griese (Dolphins), Bradshaw (Steelers), Montana (49ers), Staubach (Cowboys), or Starr (Packers).

Why? Two reasons: 1/ each of those teams had above average rushing attacks which was largely enabled by their great O-lines; 2/ each of these lines have and/or will have players that have or will be enshrined in the HOF. As good as the Pats' O-line has been - as a unit - I don't believe any of them (only time will tell) will make it to HOF.
    [/Quote]

I'd throw the Aikmen Cowboys in there as well.

Sections
Shortcuts