Elite CB Market Being Set

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Elite CB Market Being Set

Patrick Peterson 5/70 48gtd

Richard Sherman 4/56 40 gtd

Joe Haden 5/68 43gtd

So all these deals have AAV of 13.6-14 million per season. So there it is, the CB market is being set at 14 AAV so if Revis turns out to be all the hype he is, we are looking at a 14 million per year extension with him

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Elite CB Market Being Set

I'll be very interested in how this plays out next year (like no one else will be).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Revis will want 15 per.  Eventually we are going to have to pick a handful of players and line their pockets. Is revis going to be one of them?  I just hope the guy likes winning and wants to ride the wave out on a winner.  

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

But, but I'm a good poster!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Joe Haden 5/68 43gtd

So all these deals have AAV of 13.6-14 million per season. So there it is, the CB market is being set at 14 AAV so if Revis turns out to be all the hype he is, we are looking at a 14 million per year extension with him

[object HTMLDivElement]

Considering if we cut him it's what $5mil of cap space, so if you think about it, if it takes $14mil to sign him/yr average and they already have to pay $5mil regardless it's essentially like paying $9mil  for him next year and how much extra in the following years anyways. Doesn't sound like a bad deal in the end but only because we have to pay that $5mil next year anyways. If he only wants a 2-3 year deal then take that $20mil convert $15mil to bonus over a 3year deal and give him a base of $5mil next year, $9mil the next, and $12mil the year after. That would then be a $41mil over 3 year extension with $15mil guaranteed. Given age that seems reasonible for both sides if Revis likes playing here. It won't be top in the league but be close and he'll be 30 at that point not quite the same age as those guys.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Joe Haden 5/68 43gtd

[object HTMLDivElement]

Considering if we cut him it's what $5mil of cap space, so if you think about it, if it takes $14mil to sign him/yr average and they already have to pay $5mil regardless it's essentially like paying $9mil  for him next year and how much extra in the following years anyways. Doesn't sound like a bad deal in the end but only because we have to pay that $5mil next year anyways. If he only wants a 2-3 year deal then take that $20mil convert $15mil to bonus over a 3year deal and give him a base of $5mil next year, $9mil the next, and $12mil the year after. That would then be a $41mil over 3 year extension with $15mil guaranteed. Given age that seems reasonible for both sides if Revis likes playing here. It won't be top in the league but be close and he'll be 30 at that point not quite the same age as those guys.

Logical. 

I think this is the year that we start seeing the old revis with 2 years being removed from injury. If he plays like he is capable, I still think he is on a level above Haden and the rest. 15m for a guy who essentially takes one side of the field away, is a good team mate and will give you effort (unlike Talib) on every play is worth it. Bb recently said that watching revis play is like watching moss play at WR. They both do things no one else at their positions do. Lock him up and don't worry about the secondary for a good 3 years. Well worth the investment. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Revis was getting paid $16 mil per year by Tampa, so they still haven't caught up to him. If he has a good year, he'll get that again from someone, but not the NEP. No way. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fanonymost. Show fanonymost's posts

Teams that seriously contend for the Super Bowl will assemble a handful of elite players at key positions on the roster with QB, CB, DL and perhaps WR being among those positions. Even with a salary cap rising to near $150M in upcoming years, those types of individual salaries count for around 10% of the pie - that's a lot. This IMRHO will put a premium on carefully crafting the guaranteed money portion of those deals to avoid detrimental lingering effects from injured players, drafting non-first-round impact players in order to leverage the more controlled rookie contracts built into the current CBA and negotiating manageable salaries for highly effective veterans at other positions.

Perhaps this has always been the case, but as the numbers get bigger and wage disparity grows, it will likely become more crucial. Owners, GMs, coaches, players and fans will all need to adapt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Logical. 

I think this is the year that we start seeing the old revis with 2 years being removed from injury. If he plays like he is capable, I still think he is on a level above Haden and the rest. 15m for a guy who essentially takes one side of the field away, is a good team mate and will give you effort (unlike Talib) on every play is worth it. Bb recently said that watching revis play is like watching moss play at WR. They both do things no one else at their positions do. Lock him up and don't worry about the secondary for a good 3 years. Well worth the investment. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree if he's the Revis of old well worth it. That's why I have it structured the way I do. Because of the $5mil carry over we have to pay the numbers in my scenerio would be $15mil 15', $14mil 16', and $17 mil in 17'. Numbers wise that would make him the highest paid CB again/yr but as a contract extension would be below the others because of that $5mil that was carried over from this year. To me that makes sense, feeds his ego for highest paid, and sets the Pats up with reasonable contracts moving forward to the point after 16' they could cut him and not eat too much cash. Makes sense for both sides unless Revis is looking for 1 last long term contract into his 30's but I only see teams like Dal or Oak give that out and after the TB experience not sure he wants that or the atmosphere more. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

No, that $5 million is on the books next year whether he's here or not.  If he ends up resigning, we're on the hook for the cap charge on his new deal PLUS the $5 million dead money from his current contract.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I think it's highly unlikely (~20% chance?) Revis is here next year.  So, I intend to enjoy the hell out of watching him play in 2014.

*edit:  I see from your next post that you understood this point.  I still stand by my opinion that he won't be here in 2015.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

No, that $5 million is on the books next year whether he's here or not.  If he ends up resigning, we're on the hook for the cap charge on his new deal PLUS the $5 million dead money from his current contract.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I think it's highly unlikely (~20% chance?) Revis is here next year.  So, I intend to enjoy the hell out of watching him play in 2014.

BB will pay him.

If the way Revis is reportedly practicing turns into that in games, BB will pay him. There are guys you let go (Talib) and there are guys you pay (Revis).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

*edit:  I see from your next post that you understood this point.  I still stand by my opinion that he won't be here in 2015.

[object HTMLDivElement]

Chance is he won't and I can see you corrected your mistake but that's what I said in my original post  :p  If he's cut that $5mil in cap space that gets used up and it got reinforced in the same 1st sentence when I said "they already have to pay $5mil regardless". Yes my wording wasn't great but just wanted to point that out so maybe not jump so quick next time  lol

Sections
Shortcuts