Elsewhere in the NFL: Norv Turner won't be fired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Elsewhere in the NFL: Norv Turner won't be fired

Norv Turner will remain SD's coach

http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/26680995

Which is great for Pats fans because then the Chargers might never get all that talent together and working before Vincent Jackson, Malcolm Floyd, Legadu Nanee, Darren Sproles, and Marcus McNeill all leave in free agency.  As long as Norv Turner is coach, they'll be undisciplined underachievers.

My regards to JBolted, who is a classy opposing fan.  Tough break that he'll get to watch another year of the most talented roster in the league wondering if they'll break .500

On a side note, Malcolm Floyd would look good in a Pats uniform: big receiver who can catch the deep ball and outjump opposing cornerbacks, plus he's been hurt and shouldn't break the bank.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Elsewhere in the NFL: Norv Turner won't be fired

Marty Schottenheimer takes this team to 14-2 and the brink of a conference championship appearance, and gets fired for his trouble.

Norv Turner's teams consistently mope through the season and underacheive in the playoffs, and completely implode this season, and he gets the ever-popular vote of confidence.

My question is: What sort of blackmail material does Norv have on A.J. Smith?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Let's all drink to that!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

aj smith is one of the worst GM's in football.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

In Response to Re: Elsewhere in the NFL: Norv Turner won't be fired:
    [QUOTE]aj smith is one of the worst GM's in football.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

He can't be that bad after all he gets all the sheeples like Jbolt to actually believe their team will actually accomplish anything year in and year out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Or this could be one of those smokescreens, too. We see that a lot.  Jerry Jones said he wouldnt' can Wade Phillips 2 weeks before firing him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

My question is: What sort of blackmail material does Norv have on A.J. Smith?

Excellent question. I've wondered this myself!

aj smith is one of the worst GM's in football.

He's great at finding talent, but he s u c k s at negotiations. He's also not too swift at picking coaches, either! Imagine what BB could do with those players there in SD!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE] He's great at finding talent, but he s u c k s at negotiations. He's also not too swift at picking coaches, either! Imagine what BB could do with those players there in SD!
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Its more then just that, as a scout hes fine he can see talent, but he runs the chargers with an iron fist. He had 2 pro bowlers sit out from constract disputes, and when they came back he SUSPENDED them another 3 games after they came back. and hes always doing shtuff like that, its like hes playing chicken with the important players on his team, and it always results in a  train wreck

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Or this could be one of those smokescreens, too. We see that a lot.  Jerry Jones said he wouldnt' can Wade Phillips 2 weeks before firing him.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

The "vote of confidence" is never a good sign.

It's really the last thing a coach wants to hear. When ownership goes out of its way to voice their support for you, that's like the ominous music coming up in the movie when something bad is getting ready to happen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yeah, you have to ask, why do they feel a need to announce that other than to appease the head coach himself out of respect?

Jeff Fisher may get canned by dumb Bud Adams, and if that happens, are you telling me Fisher is not an immediate upgrade with his entire staff going to SD?

There are 3 coaches left where I cannot figure out why they still have jobs:

1. Eric Manboobs
    2. Marvin Lewis
    3. Norv Turner

I might put Jack Del Rio on that list, too.   He's a good coach, but he clearly is not someone who can lead them past the Colts in that division.

And, this is all assuming Kubiak gets the pink slip here in a week.

As for photos on someone, I still say Jerry Angelo has them on the McCaskeys in Chicago.

He's botched almost every 1st rd pick of his tenure and his FA signings are terrible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

There are maybe 4 guys out there that should have any HC job they want.
    Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Marty Schotenhiemer(sp) and Jimmy Johnson.
    However I don't think 3 of them want back in.....

Josh McDaniels will probably end up with a OC job somewhere next year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

Maybe they aren't Blaming him for this year because of the 2 guys that management didn't sign and the injury to gates and others..Shrug...
    I figured this guy was as sure a firing candidate as I have ever seen.
    A team stacked with talent that underachieves every year.

Great news for the AFC and I'm sure Charger Fans are Jumping for joy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Marty Schottenheimer takes this team to 14-2 and the brink of a conference championship appearance, and gets fired for his trouble. Norv Turner's teams consistently mope through the season and underacheive in the playoffs, and completely implode this season, and he gets the ever-popular vote of confidence. My question is: What sort of blackmail material does Norv have on A.J. Smith?
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Amen, brother. But, this is great news! It means that the Chargers will sputter again, next season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

An interesting insight into the world of Norv Turner, by Gregg Easterbrook, ESPN Tuesday Morning Quarterback and Patriots Hater Extraordinaire:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101228_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl

Sour Coach's Play of the Week No. 1: Cincinnati leading San Diego 20-13 -- the Bolts needing a victory to stave off elimination despite fabulous stats, Carson Palmer having his best game of the season with the T.Ocho sideshow out of the lineup -- the Bengals faced third-and-7 on their 41 with six minutes remaining. Palmer threw a 59-yard touchdown pass to backup receiver Jerome Simpson, and TMQ wrote the words "season over" for San Diego in his notebook.

San Diego corner Antoine Cason was out of position at the snap and burned badly. Sportstalk has analyzed this play all wrong, placing the blame on Cason. Many touts have accused him of a busted coverage; on "Mike & Mike in the Morning," former NFL receiver Cris Carter said Cason must have been "tired" or lost focus. The Chargers' coaching staff was to blame!

As Cincinnati approached the line of scrimmage, Bolts defensive coordinator Ron Rivera hadn't called the defense. And the home team was not in a hurry-up -- far from it, with a fourth-quarter lead, Palmer was milking the clock. Rivera did not radio in the defensive call to San Diego green-dot linebacker Kevin Burnett until the Bengals were starting their cadence. At the snap, Cason was looking back at Burnett, trying to get the defensive call. Blame this touchdown on the coaches! And blame the San Diego coaches twice because they weren't paying attention -- with their defense way out of position as Cincinnati was about to snap, coaches should have called timeout (San Diego had all three).

From my own modest experience as a middle-school head coach, I can relate that you get 10 seconds, max, to decide on your call, because you must allow time for the call to go in and then be relayed to the players. Rivera hadn't made his call quickly enough. Plus he apparently didn't teach his defense a default call. Quarterbacks typically are coached: If you don't get the call or are confused, run a slant or a draw, staple plays that work from any formation. Middle linebackers typically are coached: If you don't get the call or are confused, then the call is Cover 2, every team's staple defense. The San Diego defense did not seem to have a default call to compensate for their coach's error.

Thank God for Bill Belichick.

Sections
Shortcuts