Elway Vs. Belichick approach

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Elway Vs. Belichick approach

Was listening to this debate on Felger and Mazz ... 

Basically...  "loading up" in free agency (Elway approach) vs. patience in free agency, pick up some cheaper crumbs after the initial few days, develop players through the draft (Belichick approach.)

While they were debating this there was an image on the wall behind them of Belichick and Elway.   And then it hit me:

ELWAY WAS A PLAYER.     He knows the value of bringing in stud players into a locker room.  Demarcus Ware, Talib, Ward.......   These guys are studs in this league with a ton of Credibility among players.  This translates into a major upgrade in the locker room as well as on the field.   It is brilliant  . ( On top of taking a player from your rival).

Belichick doesn't get this.  He is all about the money and getting "VAlue", blah, blah.  FAIL.  since he never played the game and hasn't got that perspective that Elway is feasting on right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

Re: Elway Vs. Belichick approach

In response to coolade2's comment:

Basically...  "loading up" in free agency (Elway approach) vs. patience in free agency, pick up some cheaper crumbs after the initial few days, develop players through the draft (Belichick approach.)

While they were debating this there was an image on the wall behind them of Belichick and Elway.   And then it hit me:

ELWAY WAS A PLAYER.     He knows the value of bringing in stud players into a locker room.  Demarcus Ware, Talib, Ward.......   These guys are studs in this league with a ton of Credibility among players.  This translates into a major upgrade in the locker room as well as on the field.   It is brilliant  . ( On top of taking a player from your rival).

Belichick doesn't get this.  He is all about the money and getting "VAlue", blah, blah.  FAIL.  since he never played the me and hasn't got that perspective that Elway is feasting on right now.

We will see when it all plays out over next 2-3 years.  Bill's last 10 years as GM no superbowls but better still an outstanding run.  Elways approach is much like Cowboys or washington.  Let's give it time see how it works.  Bascially bills approach is less risky with the money mostly spread around..  Where Elways has much higher risk, but if all the guys pan out (stay healthy, can play in system, get along w coach, stay out of trouble etc... 

Lets wait and see

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

Belichick doesn't get this.  He is all about the money and getting "VAlue", blah, blah.  FAIL.  since he never played the game and hasn't got that perspective that Elway is feasting on right now.

got to hand it to denver. they have a great quarterback that comes along once every twenty or more years and hes at the end of his line. elway knows the window is short but they could still win two or three superbowls with the right talent around them. imo you have to try and win now in the nfl. you never have guys for too long before they leave to another team anyways.
    one thing to keep in mind is what kraft said. he said his goal isnt to win superbowls every year but to be competitive and fill seats. the patriots plan does just that and their franchise is worth a fortune.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Wait and see is right.

Do we include Elway's totally embarrassing and moronic mistake that led to Dumervil being a FA last year?

And let's see how he does when Manning retires and he has to try and build the entire team with the fallout from these moves.

It's another version of BB v SEA. or BB v PIT. or BB v Indy. BB is still standing. PIT and INDY collapsed, and are trying to build back up. Sea only JUSR got there, ditto for Denver.

Belichick hasn't won a ring in a decade?

Elway, the manager, hasn't EVER won. Elway, the QB, won't be winning anytime soon either.

I don't mind critisizing Belichick...what I do mind is comparing a 2-3 year run V 14 fking years...that's moronic.

Felger and Mazz have about as much football insight and knowledge as I do about quantum physics...that is to say, I know it exists.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:

Wait and see is right.

Do we include Elway's totally embarrassing and moronic mistake that led to Dumervil being a FA last year?

And let's see how he does when Manning retires and he has to try and build the entire team with the fallout from these moves.

It's another version of BB v SEA. or BB v PIT. or BB v Indy. BB is still standing. PIT and INDY collapsed, and are trying to build back up. Sea only JUSR got there, ditto for Denver.

Belichick hasn't won a ring in a decade?

Elway, the manager, hasn't EVER won. Elway, the QB, won't be winning anytime soon either.

I don't mind critisizing Belichick...what I do mind is comparing a 2-3 year run V 14 fking years...that's moronic.

Felger and Mazz have about as much football insight and knowledge as I do about quantum physics...that is to say, I know it exists.

This isn't about Felger and Mazz, but their show is the funniest sports talk show and their analysis is decent if not totally on top of it.  ( but then again who is...?)

This is about the difference between Elway and Belichick and so far ... in case you haven't noticed ....  Elway has improved the broncos significantly at the expense of the Patriots who are significantly worse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

Wait wait hold on one minute I thought Denver was in cap hell and couldnt sign anyone?Looks like one person is wrong agian.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

While I can appreciate that Elway certainly sees a window of 2-3 years to win a SB and has gone all in, until the Broncs actually win one, who can say that their approach is superior?  They got to the SB and lost, but the Pats have done the same recently too. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

what infuriates me the most is that the broncos are building a team that gives horseface mannchoke every oppotunity to win a superbowl, the pats havent done the same for brady and the clock is ticking fast. go pats

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

to be fair Elway doesn't have an "approach"...he is in a very unique situation with a very limited time frame and is going all out to get to the top of the mountain having come so close...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to isurfvb24's comment:

what infuriates me the most is that the broncos are building a team that gives horseface mannchoke every oppotunity to win a superbowl, the pats havent done the same for brady and the clock is ticking fast. go pats

Horseface Mannchoke! that's pretty damn funny!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I still think Elway is emptying the till for the last two years of Horseface's career and will split town at the same time as Horseface, and leave the wreckage to whoever follows him as  Team president and GM

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb24. Show isurfvb24's posts

and we can criticize elway all we want for the moves he is making but to be fair, if the pats made the same moves as denver did the first day in free agency, i would be jumping for joy putting all my money on them to win it all. dont be a homer and say you wouldnt be either, its a tough pill to swallow but its true!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:

I still think Elway is emptying the till for the last two years of Horseface's career and will split town at the same time as Horseface, and leave the wreckage to whoever follows him as  Team president and GM

maybe but if it results in a SB....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yep, the Broncos are definitely going to win the super bowl this year.  They went for it! 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Bill just called, said he thought this wholr free agent thing was next week

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Pats to sign new PR firm

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

In 2012 Broncos signed Manning to a 5 year $96m contract. His cap hit is $17.5m in 2014 and $21.5m in 2014 and 2015. He is guaranteed $20m in 2014 after passing his physical.

This season they signed three additional costly players to their team (total dollars/contract length/guaranteed money):

A Talib: $57m/6yr/$26m

TJ Ward: $23m/4yr/$14m

D Ware: $30m/3yr/$20m

Is it a lot of greenbacks going to four players, close to 40% of the total salary cap? The Broncos are all in for another SB run this year and maybe next year. After that, it is a big question mark. They were one of the better positioned teams in terms of cap space this year. They will lose Decker and Moreno on offense. So far, it looks like Denver has positioned itself nicely for 2014.

I sure hope the Pats get Revis. Else, it looks like a few steps ahead by the Broncos and a step or so back for the Pats, at least on paper. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'll take the Pats approach, thank you.  I'd rather be in the thick of it each and every year than win a SB and be an afterthought for several years afterwards.  Some fans would rather go all in for a SB and pay the consequences afterwards.  That's fine.  Be that way.  I'm glad BB and Kraft aren't that way.  Let's see how Denver is doing 2 or 3 years from now.

Besides, how many times has the team that wins the FA trophy gone on to hoist the Lombardi? Really, how often does this approach ever bring home a trophy?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to carawaydj's comment:

I'll take the Pats approach, thank you.  I'd rather be in the thick of it each and every year than win a SB and be an afterthought for several years afterwards.  Some fans would rather go all in for a SB and pay the consequences afterwards.  That's fine.  Be that way.  I'm glad BB and Kraft aren't that way.  Let's see how Denver is doing 2 or 3 years from now.

Besides, how many times has the team that wins the FA trophy gone on to hoist the Lombardi? Really, how often does this approach ever bring home a trophy?

how many times do you have a Peyton Manning and went to the SB the previous year?

and if the Broncos ran u guys off the field with last years team...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to soxrockursox's comment:

Wait wait hold on one minute I thought Denver was in cap hell and couldnt sign anyone?Looks like one person is wrong agian.

Bingo!! Ding! Ding! Ding!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

how many times do you have a Peyton Manning and went to the SB the previous year?

They ran a lot of teams off the field except for Seattle . We did beat them here yes it meant nothing n the end. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to soxrockursox's comment:

Bingo!! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Lmao yep how doea that saying go put that very special someone on watch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

History tells me that you can't buy a championship (in football).  The assumption is that you buy a bunch of big name players and win a championship.  The reality is that it seldom works that way.  They could very easily play worse next season despite the additions.  Maybe that defies logic but it doesn't defy history.  Yeah, we looked bad in the AFCCG.  We looked almost as bad as Denver did against Seattle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

History tells me that you can't buy a championship (in football).  The assumption is that you buy a bunch of big name players and win a championship.  The reality is that it seldom works that way.  They could very easily play worse next season despite the additions.  Maybe that defies logic but it doesn't defy history.  Yeah, we looked bad in the AFCCG.  We looked almost as bad as Denver did against Seattle.

great posts DJ.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Belichick got value. And Revis.

Talib at 9.5, Revis at 12. I'd say point - Belichick.

Sections
Shortcuts