Emergency Defensive Measures for Offseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Emergency Defensive Measures for Offseason

Guys, we're now in a full blown defensive emergency (have been for years) which is really sad as Brady's last great years waste away before our eyes. What can we do:

1. Throw 5 million per year at Wade Phillips and make him a co-head coach with Bill. I know, i know that would never happen. The Texans would also never allow it. We need a game changer at D-coordinator as it's painfully obvious the Jedi-master can't do it now.

2. Hire Romeo Crenell immediately after he is fired by the Browns. He might actually go for it if he wants to stay busy. They maybe the best most possible option.

3. Hire Norn Tuner- just kidding!!!!!

4. Hire Rex Ryan. I know it sounds completely crazy but they guy can coach defense and it would be hilarious to watch on the sidelines. Maybe he could recruit some Jets defensive players to come with him too!

Are there any other big names out there. Kraft, you should be reading this thread! I'm 100% serious!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Re: Emergency Defensive Measures for Offseason

it's not just the coaching. Need another DE/OLB who can pass rush, and an above average CB and above average S.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I agree completely! We need a top shelf CB and safety but what can we do. Pry Revis away from the Jets for Hernandez, Mallet and 2 first round picks? What is the status of Asante? I can't remember if he is under contract or not after the season. We don't have as many picks next year so let's hope we land a few good ones. How the hell did Seattle build that D!!?? I'm quite jealous!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Unfortunately for us, unless the Pats draft a big name, big play defensive player, it would be a rare instance in which the Pats chase a big name defensive player.  Last time they tried, Haynesworth, totally fell apart when we all salivated at the prospects he "potentially" could have brought to the Pats D.  It is all about the $$$ and getting value.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Wade Phillips?  troll

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to themightypatriots' comment:

Wade Phillips?  troll

Been a Pats fan for 35 plus years since I was 7 years old. No troll here my friend. I would be jumping up and down if Wade was to come in here! Again, it was more of a joke than anything else because we all know that won't happen. Have you watched the Texans D lately? What is it about Wade that you don't like? They have built a powerhouse down there in Houston. I truly hope we can hang with them...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm not going to be like mighty here but your first point is just insane. Nether coach is going to want to be co-head coaches. That could be one of the worst ideas I've herad on how to fix the situation. Though, I completely agree they need to find a legit DB coach, having co-head coaches would never happen nor should it ever happen.

Now I do like the Rex Ryan idea. Rex is a great D coach and has worked well with DB's. If he gets fired I don't see him getting a new head coaching job right away. Given the mutal respect I don't think it wouldn't be out of question if BB and Rex hooked up for 2-3 years to rebuild Rex's rep and this D

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Patriots should be able to do better than Patricia and Boyer....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

foolish post.

the first point you are missing is that the Pats defensive coaches are not on an island coaching how ever they want. They are coaching the scheme and technique BB insists on.

the second point you are missing is both Phillips and the Ryans coach over loading zones to apply pressure. They disguise where the pressure is coming from. In order to play this type of defense, you need players that can single cover, so that over loaded pressure can be applied.

BB doesnt play that type of defense nor does he have those types of players execute that style of defense...  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I agree it was far fetched but usually teams will not let you talk to another coach if it is a lateral move. Also, what is the highest paid D coordinator? Realistically Bill would NEVER allow this move for obvious reasons. I do think if (in my imaginary world) Wade would come here to be defensive coordinator that it would be the BEST 5 million Kraft would have ever spent. Patricia is an absolute joke who deserves an immediate pink slip...Rex Ryan would be intriguing but not sure if that could ever work.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

foolish post.

the first point you are missing is that the Pats defensive coaches are not on an island coaching how ever they want. They are coaching the scheme and technique BB insists on.

the second point you are missing is both Phillips and the Ryans coach over loading zones to apply pressure. They disguise where the pressure is coming from. In order to play this type of defense, you need players that can single cover, so that over loaded pressure can be applied.

BB doesnt play that type of defense nor does he have those types of players execute that style of defense...  

What we need is solutions and the system is a completely failed and flawed system. It is not a foolish post but a lighthearted post as i've heard alot a bitchin' on here but not too many good REAL solutions. We as fans have the right to demand changes. While you may be right that rebuilding with the proper players for a Wade Phillips system would take some time and unfortunately Brady doesn't have time. Many feel that you should build a D from the back up. In other words get the shut down corners and safeties in place first and then work on the D line. Bottom line, the draft has to be an A+ next year and we need to absolutely nail a safety and a CB! I'm also not throwing in the towel for this year but it is going to be a tough road!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Only Nancies panic, we've won three games straight...

Next year we should draft another DT to pair with Wilfork, and I also would agree we need another defensive coach if our current coaches can't improve their situational defensive stops, third down stops, but even these are the result of rotating in the wrong players which if that falls on our current coordinator than his head should get axed.  We have the talent...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Only Nancies panic, we've won three games straight...

Next year we should draft another DT to pair with Wilfork, and I also would agree we need another defensive coach if our current coaches can't improve their situational defensive stops, third down stops, but even these are the result of rotating in the wrong players which if that falls on our current coordinator than his head should get axed.  We have the talent...

Who would think we would miss Dean Pees?!?! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

In response to jam757's comment:

Guys, we're now in a full blown defensive emergency (have been for years) which is really sad as Brady's last great years waste away before our eyes. What can we do:

1. Throw 5 million per year at Wade Phillips and make him a co-head coach with Bill. I know, i know that would never happen. The Texans would also never allow it. We need a game changer at D-coordinator as it's painfully obvious the Jedi-master can't do it now.

2. Hire Romeo Crenell immediately after he is fired by the Browns. He might actually go for it if he wants to stay busy. They maybe the best most possible option.

3. Hire Norn Tuner- just kidding!!!!!

4. Hire Rex Ryan. I know it sounds completely crazy but they guy can coach defense and it would be hilarious to watch on the sidelines. Maybe he could recruit some Jets defensive players to come with him too!

Are there any other big names out there. Kraft, you should be reading this thread! I'm 100% serious!

Here are my thoughts:

It doesn't hurt when you draft near the bottom of the league all the time.  Would you accept the Texans' record over the past eight years to have this year?  How about the Lions?  They have great talent but languished in the desert

1.  Philips as co-coach makes as much sense as Bill giving up the PP duties.  Nice thought, but BB would go immediately (and you don't know what his contract says about this). So then we would be stuck with Philips and his stellar record as a head coach.  what a great idea!!!

2.  of course Romeo would be fired by the Chiefs not the Browns.  Like the rest of your post it is inaccuarate and just plain unknowledgeable.

3.  Rex ain't coming here and neither are the Jets.  Do you know the meaning of tampering?

4.  Norv makes the most sense except he is on the o side of the ball not the d

Sections
Shortcuts