End of an Era?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

End of an Era?

Weve definately been spoiled to have the greatest QB in NFL history on our team, who lead us to 4 superbowls, and 3 trophies. Im only sparking a debate on what would could happen say if brady starts to show signs of not bouncing back to his old form. Not jumping off the bandwagon or being pesimistic - just sparking a debate. These things we know are true - brady's contract expires after 2010, many other big patriots names will have their contracts end or end by 2010. NFL teams go through cycles - the following is just an example of great teams with great QBs that have seen the cycles effect (see 49ers, Cowboys, Bills, Rams, ect)- obviously the patriots are at the pinacle of their cycle. The patriots use a discounted/shared payroll format to spread wealth evenly throughout their players. Some taking huge discounts to play on a championship team. Once this cycle continues to turn downward - human nature knows that those players will not take a discount to play for a non contender. Could we see an End of an Era soon?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Re: End of an Era?

Kyle
    The Pats went 11-5 without TB. How many teams would kill for an 11-5 record. Missing the playoffs was a matter of a series of unusual cirmstances. As long as we still have the hooded one, we'll be okay..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CMassKyle. Show CMassKyle's posts

I think looking at last years team isn't really the point of Kyle's post. Last year we had a quality back up QB who was able to step in and lead the team to an 11-5 record. As for the 2009 Pats I think the team is going to do extremelly well, however moving forward I can totally see it being the end of an era. With each year that goes bye the players that were the backbone of those Patriots championship teams are getting older, and lets face it the Pats are not going to be Super Bowl contenders forever. We are going to see more and more guys like Teddy Bruschi retire, and I think it will all come down to the Patriots finding guys to replace them. Hopefully in years to come we can come through with more quality draft picks because over the past couple of years we have only really had 1 great pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FargoLovesLeon. Show FargoLovesLeon's posts

The Hooded one?What a joke!The guys a cheater and you people put him aon a pedastal like he's some sort of genious.
    Hey it's real easy to run a defense when you know what play the other team is running.Wake up!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

I am not referencing last year's performance or even an 11-5 record. End of an Era is forecasting the unpredictable future. Cycles happen in every sport, must notable with football because of the salary cap. In BB we trust - sure thats true - but he cant play football and cover every 11 spots on the field. Those same spots are getting holes kinda big, this year OLB is an issue along with MLB. But this season isnt an issue with downfall at all like CMassKyle said - Next year could be the beginning tho - our front dline will see a huge hole if Seymoure and Wilfork leave. Same with our Oline.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

There is some symbolism behind Bruschi retiring that I think speaks to this.  This era will always be the Belichick/Brady era but Bruschi was the heart and soul of the D.  I'm glad he didn't go to another team but when he leaves you sort of know that nothing lasts forever.  With that said, he retired for a reason; guys beat him out on the team.  If a Guyton can step up this season and be a leader going forward that is going to more than make up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Boston-kyle...

You are echoing the fears of every fan of every team which is having a great run of winning.  The core of players that make up such a streak eventually gets old and the changing of the guard has to happen.  The good for us Pats fans is as long and BB and Kraft are at the helm, they will do what they can to maintain a winning franchise.  We've seen a lot of good players go and a lot of players who come aboard with question marks only to exceed our expectations as the Pats keep winning.  True, this decade's Pats fan shudders at the thought of no Brady, but, we survived 2008 didn't we?  One day there will be no Brady, as we now have no Bruschi et al.  It's bound to happen and all we can hope for is the players currently on the team continue to uphold the Pats winning traditions since BB took over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

sure things come and go.  in the case of tom brady... i think he and bill are somewhat on the same page as far as how long tom will be with us... this patriots staff knows what theyre doing and will not have tom brady retire without someone behind him.  *watch out for brian hoyer... i dont think he'll be the number 2 this year, but i do think that the release of o'connell has at least a little bit to do with hoyers performance in camp and in the preseason.*  thoughts?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Brady will retire a Patriot!  End of story.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hammonkey. Show hammonkey's posts

why the gloom and doom guys.  People were saying this about the patriots 4 yrs ago, and all we've done is re-tool the defense with new studs and remained competitive.  So we haven't won the SB in a few years, we were in it just to years ago. 

Anyway... i do agree with the cyclical nature of sports success, but the fact that our team has been at or near the top for nearly 9 years (skipping the 02 season) is testamony to their ability to evolve and remain in the hunt.  It is not out of the question that a whole new cast of characters will rise up, even at qb, and continue to keep them playing well.  Players like Mayo, and Merriweather already showing strength in the youth movement on D.  And the O line is reasonably young. 

Sections
Shortcuts