English in journalism

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Re: English in journalism

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I saw it and didn't feel like adding another word.  I am not getting paid to print things here so I truly don't care if I start or end a sentence with a preposition.

We have people here who don't know basic words, their uses, conjunctions, possessive, plurals, etc.

You and your fellow Brady Ball Washer ain't got nothing. 

Not how I just used "ain't" for effect. LMAO

[/QUOTE]

I've got to give you credit "Doug".   For many people, a thread on the topic of English would seem to have no relevance to Tom Brady.  You see things that others cannot.  What an awesome talent.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

Is a Spelling Bee coming next?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Have you seen Mt Hurl's grammar here?  It's embarrassing. He's a teacher, so he claims.

[/QUOTE]

He is not a journalist with a wide circulation.  They should be setting a good example.  That was the point of my starting this thread.  If Mr. Hurl is a teacher with poor grammar, that is very unfortunate as well.

SLGDEV/sheldong/sheldonlg

[/QUOTE]

I completely agree that adults, especially journalist, need to be more aware. I reside in a small town in NC where I have to send my 7 yr old to private school because cursive writing isn't even in the public school curriculum. There are teenagers around here who can't sign their own name. It's sad. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Considering these New England "journalists" get most, if not all of their material from this and other forums, the least they could do is spell correctly.  

We do all the work for them.  Or did anyone else not notice how a thread becomes a hot topic here and within days it is the newest headline on the sports page and ESPN Boston?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Man o man, do we need some real football news.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

Must be Old Joke Day around here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I saw it and didn't feel like adding another word.  I am not getting paid to print things here so I truly don't care if I start or end a sentence with a preposition.

We have people here who don't know basic words, their uses, conjunctions, possessive, plurals, etc.

You and your fellow Brady Ball Washer ain't got nothing. 

Not how I just used "ain't" for effect. LMAO

[/QUOTE]

I've got to give you credit "Doug".   For many people, a thread on the topic of English would seem to have no relevance to Tom Brady.  You see things that others cannot.  What an awesome talent.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Catbitch.  You're my hero. I someday hope to be just like you. You're just oh so witty.

[/QUOTE]

Old Joke: 

You're half right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheTinMan. Show TheTinMan's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]
    Well, at least Mt Hurl teaches Home Ec and doesn't teach English.  That we can all be thankful for.  

[/QUOTE]

Do I have to remind you that a preposition is a word you should never end a sentence with? 

[/QUOTE]

Old Joke:

I was walking around Harvard Yard one day, looking for the library.  Being a bit lost, I had to stop a student and ask:

"Excuse me, could you tell me where the Harvard Library is at?"

The student gave me a rather disdainful look and replied:

"Are you not aware that it is grammatically incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition?"

I stared at him for a moment, before I said:

"Pardon me.  Could you tell me where the Harvard Library is at, a**hole?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

There is a rule that bars the use of a preposition at the end of a sentence, but it applies to Latin grammar, not English

The only part of speech in Latin that cannot end a sentence is the preposition. No such rule exists in English

Winston Churchill had a funny line when someone admonished him once for ending a sentence with a preposition. Churchill replied, "That is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I shall not put"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

In response to TheTinMan's comment:

Old Joke:

I was walking around Harvard Yard one day, looking for the library.  Being a bit lost, I had to stop a student and ask:

"Excuse me, could you tell me where the Harvard Library is at?"

The student gave me a rather disdainful look and replied:

"Are you not aware that it is grammatically incorrect to end a sentence with a preposition?"

I stared at him for a moment, before I said:

"Pardon me.  Could you tell me where the Harvard Library is at, a**hole?"

LOL

An old one, but a good one

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to AcheNot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is a rule that bars the use of a preposition at the end of a sentence, but it applies to Latin grammar, not English

The only part of speech in Latin that cannot end a sentence is the preposition. No such rule exists in English

Winston Churchill had a funny line when someone admonished him for ending a sentence with a preposition. Churchill replied, "That is the type of arrant pedantry up with which I shall not put"

[/QUOTE]

That's Old Winny!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

Churchill was an amazing oratorical master. 

A sentence ending with a preposition is on the surface a contradiction in terms, as the word suggests it to be followed by something. However, the something following the preposition can often be understood in context and because of that be left out (of the sentence).

Supra societatem nemo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bustify. Show Bustify's posts

It really is sad. If you are paid to write articles for a living, then you should know proper grammar. There is really no excuse.

Sections
Shortcuts