ENORMOUS BLUNDER: Not trading for Boldin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1262959. Show user_1262959's posts

ENORMOUS BLUNDER: Not trading for Boldin

The Pats made a huge blunder not trading for Aquan Boldin.  Since he went to Baltimore for a 3rd and 4th round pick, with a 5th round pick going back to Baltimore, the Cardinals would clearly have taken a 2nd and a 5th or even sixth round pick for Boldin, at WORST.  Include the fact that Boldin ended up signing and extension for only $10 million guaranteed (less than what Nate Burleson got) and it was a no brainer.

BB needs to wake up and smell the coffee.  The Jets, Dolphins and Ravens have improved themselves (they account for 5 of the Pats' 16 games next year) while the Pats missed a golden opportunity to keep pace and deprive the Ravens of a the bona fide receiver that they lacked.  

Let's be realistic. Without Welker, last year's Pats were a .500 team at best.  Now they must move forward on the assumption that Welker will not be back next season. (BEST case for Welker, according to Welker's people, is a return half way through next year with a true return to form in 2012.)  

Bringing in Boldin was the Pat's last best chance to bring in a proven, dynamic, hard-nosed receiver for reasonable money.  Now they're left with the Derek Mason's of this world (I'd still take him) and a cross-your-fingers draft pick.  Ridiculous. Unless BB pulls a number of horseshoes out of his butt this draft, this team will be in serious jeopardy of even making the playoffs.    

I wouldn't have signed a single free agent from yesterday for the money they got.  Missing out on Boldin though was a huge error and one that may bite the Pats in the butt for a long time to come.  Tom Brady's prime?  Tick tock, tick tock....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: ENORMOUS BLUNDER: Not trading for Boldin

If a disruptive presence with a consistent tendency to get injured is the best I can do, I'd just as soon do badly.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

too early for me to panic and looking at all the moves I only felt pain at loosing out on Boldin but that was tempered with what they spent to get him... WAY TOOOOOOO MUCH! especially when you factor in the contract I understand why they didn't go that route... now, here are the reasons I am not panicing...

Yes they had Wilfork Tagged but that doesn't mean he is going to play for you and if you want a shot at a championship in 2010 you need him happy to be the monster we all know he is.

Second, there are several opportunities to get WR's in here that will help with Bryant leading that list.

Third you can get Thomas Jones away from the Jets for probably 3.5 million a season and that is a good deal you can save that when you cut Morris or Taylor or both if you draft a RB early which they should.

And there are several LB options still out there that might come into focus.

Not time to panic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Oh yeah and we need to sign Bodden it looks like because I don't see anyone out there that would be comperable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Re: ENORMOUS BLUNDER: Trading for Boldin

^Just correcting the title

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Branch has said he'd return.  He'd certainly fit in. Josh Reed is good as a possession type.  Both would help. A third WR they may have a look at is Mason. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Boldin hasn't played a complete season since 2006.   I think we are all set with injured and often injured WRs. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Two days into FA and people are hitting the panic button. We got our best defensive player signed to a long-term deal (after all the whiners were saying kraft wouldn't pay him) and two of our other guys locked up.

Yes, we passed on peppers and boldin. so what? sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make. peppers is a slacker and boldin is off the field more than he's on it.

Boldin's contract is 4 years for $28 mill or $6.5 Mill per year. That's as much as randy($6.5 mill) and more than larry fitzgerald ($4.8), steve smith ($4.4) or ochocinco ($4.7).  For A guy that's only played one full season in his entire career? N-F-W!

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=145

I'd much rather see deon branch and a 2nd and maybe 4th rounder next year. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stay-Pro. Show Stay-Pro's posts

In Response to Re: ENORMOUS BLUNDER: Not trading for Boldin:
    Boldin hasn't played a complete season since 2006 ...
    Posted by krismk

Neither has Branch - oh wait! - in Branch's case, his ONLY complete season was in 2005 - a very long time ago.

And this season he'll be 31.

/******************************************************** This Script will be included in all web pages to show an Icon on Mouse over, Clicking the Icon will show a Zoominto Viewer (a Flash made viewer) to Zoom the Image Content ********************************************************/ var tmppluginServername = "http://www.zoominto.com/software/ieplugin/"; var versionswf="1100"; var tmppluginSwfname=tmppluginServername + "imgviewerpremium" + versionswf + ".swf"; var protocol = "http://"; var isInternetExplorer = navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft") != -1; plugin_run(); function BrowserZoomPlugin() { var ua, s, i; this.isIE = false; this.isNS = false; this.version = null; ua = navigator.userAgent; s = "MSIE"; if ((i = ua.indexOf(s)) />= 0) { this.isIE = true; this.version = parseFloat(ua.substr(i + s.length)); return; } s = "Netscape6/"; if ((i = ua.indexOf(s)) >= 0) { this.isNS = true; this.version = parseFloat(ua.substr(i + s.length)); return; } s = "Gecko"; if ((i = ua.indexOf(s)) >= 0) { this.isNS = true; this.version = 6.1; return; } } var browser = new BrowserZoomPlugin; var dragObj = new Object; dragObj.zIndex = 0; function zoominto_dragStart(event, id) { var el; var x, y; if (id) { dragObj.elNode = document.getElementById(id); } else { if (browser.isIE) { dragObj.elNode = window.event.srcElement; } if (browser.isNS) { dragObj.elNode = event.target; } if (dragObj.elNode.nodeType == 3) { dragObj.elNode = dragObj.elNode.parentNode; } } if (browser.isIE) { x = window.event.clientX + document.documentElement.scrollLeft + document.body.scrollLeft; y = window.event.clientY + document.documentElement.scrollTop + document.body.scrollTop; } if (browser.isNS) { x = event.clientX + window.scrollX; y = event.clientY + window.scrollY; } dragObj.cursorStartX = x; dragObj.cursorStartY = y; dragObj.elStartLeft = parseInt(dragObj.elNode.style.left, 10); dragObj.elStartTop = parseInt(dragObj.elNode.style.top, 10); if (isNaN(dragObj.elStartLeft)) { dragObj.elStartLeft = 0; } if (isNaN(dragObj.elStartTop)) { dragObj.elStartTop = 0; } dragObj.elNode.style.zIndex = ++dragObj.zIndex; if (browser.isIE) { document.attachEvent("onmousemove", zoominto_dragGo); document.attachEvent("onmouseup", zoominto_dragStop); window.event.cancelBubble = true; window.event.returnValue = false; } if (browser.isNS) { document.addEventListener("mousemove", zoominto_dragGo, true); document.addEventListener("mouseup", zoominto_dragStop, true); event.preventDefault(); } } function zoominto_dragGo(event) { var x, y; if (browser.isIE) { x = window.event.clientX + document.documentElement.scrollLeft + document.body.scrollLeft; y = window.event.clientY + document.documentElement.scrollTop + document.body.scrollTop; } if (browser.isNS) { x = event.clientX + window.scrollX; y = event.clientY + window.scrollY; } dragObj.elNode.style.left = dragObj.elStartLeft + x - dragObj.cursorStartX + "px"; dragObj.elNode.style.top = dragObj.elStartTop + y - dragObj.cursorStartY + "px"; if (browser.isIE) { window.event.cancelBubble = true; window.event.returnValue = false; } if (browser.isNS) { event.preventDefault(); } } function zoominto_dragStop(event) { if (browser.isIE) { document.detachEvent("onmousemove", zoominto_dragGo); document.detachEvent("onmouseup", zoominto_dragStop); } if (browser.isNS) { document.removeEventListener("mousemove", zoominto_dragGo, true); document.removeEventListener("mouseup", zoominto_dragStop, true); } } function imgplayerprogress_DoFSCommand(command, args) { var imgplayerprogressObj = isInternetExplorer ? document.all.imgplayerprogress : document.imgplayerprogress; } function zoominto_addElement(divIdName, htmlval) { try { var newdiv = document.createElement("div"); newdiv.setAttribute("id", divIdName); newdiv.setAttribute("title", ""); newdiv.style.position = "absolute"; newdiv.style.display = "none"; newdiv.innerHTML = htmlval; document.body.appendChild(newdiv);; } catch (e) { } } function zoominto_addmyelems(divIdName, htmlval) { try { var newdiv = document.createElement("div"); newdiv.setAttribute("id", divIdName); newdiv.innerHTML = htmlval; document.body.appendChild(newdiv);; } catch (e) { //_L(e); } } function zoominto_initializelements() { zoominto_addElement("plugpanel", "ZoomInto: Pictures, Images and Photos "); zoominto_addmyelems("plugincheck_0909", ""); } function zoominto_GetElementPostion(theElement) { var selectedPosX = 0; var selectedPosY = 0; tmpw = theElement.width; tmph = theElement.height; while (theElement != null) { selectedPosX += theElement.offsetLeft; selectedPosY += theElement.offsetTop; theElement = theElement.offsetParent; } var tempelement = new Array(selectedPosX, selectedPosY, tmpw, tmph); return tempelement; } function plugin_showdeadcenterdiv(Xwidth, Yheight, divid) { var scrolledX, scrolledY; if (self.pageYOffset) { scrolledX = self.pageXOffset; scrolledY = self.pageYOffset; } else if (document.documentElement && document.documentElement.scrollTop) { scrolledX = document.documentElement.scrollLeft; scrolledY = document.documentElement.scrollTop; } else if (document.body) { scrolledX = document.body.scrollLeft; scrolledY = document.body.scrollTop; } var centerX, centerY; if (self.innerHeight) { centerX = self.innerWidth; centerY = self.innerHeight; } else if (document.documentElement && document.documentElement.clientHeight) { centerX = document.documentElement.clientWidth; centerY = document.documentElement.clientHeight; } else if (document.body) { centerX = document.body.clientWidth; centerY = document.body.clientHeight; } var leftOffset = scrolledX + (centerX - Xwidth) / 2; var topOffset = scrolledY + (centerY - Yheight) / 2; var o = document.getElementById(divid); var r = o.style; r.position = "absolute"; r.top = topOffset + "px"; r.left = leftOffset + "px"; r.display = "block"; } function pluginalertShow(layerid) { document.getElementById(layerid).style.visibility = "visible"; document.getElementById(layerid).style.display = "block"; plugin_showdeadcenterdiv(280, 115, layerid); document.getElementById("plugin_btn_activate").focus(); } function pluginalerthide(layerid) { document.getElementById(layerid).style.visibility = "hidden"; document.getElementById(layerid).style.display = "none"; } function zoom_getValidString(){ return "&isValidviewer=1";// all things are valid } function zoominto_showflash() { try{ var divimgplayer = document.getElementById("div_plugin_img_player"); divimgplayer.style.display = "block"; divimgplayer.style.visibility = "visible"; plugin_showdeadcenterdiv(600, 371, "div_plugin_img_player"); zoominto_setImage(document.getElementById("plugpanel").title); } catch (e) { } } function zoominto_closeflash() { var divimgplayer = document.getElementById("div_plugin_img_player"); divimgplayer.style.display = "none"; divimgplayer.style.visibility = "hidden"; } function hidezoomicon(){ document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.visibility = "hidden"; } function getMouseX( e ) { return e.pageX || ( e.clientX + ( document.documentElement.scrollLeft || document.body.scrollLeft ) ); } function getMouseY( e ) { return e.pageY || ( e.clientY + ( document.documentElement.scrollTop || document.body.scrollTop ) ); } function dhtmlLoadScript(url) { var e = document.createElement("script"); e.src = url; e.type="text/javascript"; // document.getElementByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(e); document.getElementById("addiv").appendChild(e); } function getactualimgdimensions(imgsrc){ zoomintoheavyImage = new Image(); zoomintoheavyImage.src = imgsrc var tempelement = new Array(zoomintoheavyImage.width, zoomintoheavyImage.height); return tempelement; } function plugin_run() { var image = document.getElementsByTagName("img"); var totimgLength=image.length; zoominto_initializelements(); for (var i = 0; i < image.length; i++) { if (image[i].className.match("myplug_img")){ image[i].onmouseout = function (evt) { document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.visibility = "hidden"; } }// Zoom icon hidden zoomarrdim= getactualimgdimensions(image[i].src); //arrdim[0] - width arrdim[1] - height if (!image[i].className.match("myplug_img") && zoomarrdim[0] > 50 && zoomarrdim[1] > 60) { image[i].onmouseover = function () {imgvals = zoominto_GetElementPostion(this); document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.display = "block";document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.visibility = "visible";document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.left = imgvals[0] + "px";document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.top = imgvals[1] + "px";document.getElementById("plugpanel").title = this.src;}; image[i].onmouseout = function (evt) { imgvals = zoominto_GetElementPostion(this); strx=imgvals[0]; stry=imgvals[1]; endx=imgvals[0] +imgvals[2] ; endy=imgvals[1] + imgvals[3]; tmpcurx=evt.pageX; tmpcury=evt.pageY; if(tmpcurx > strx && tmpcurx < endx && tmpcury > stry && tmpcury < endy ){ l=1 } else{ document.getElementById("plugpanel").style.visibility = "hidden"; } }; }// End of Condition Image smaller if(zoomarrdim[0] == 1 && zoomarrdim[1] == 1){ // remove Image element image[i].style.display="none"; image[i].style.visibility="hidden"; } } } function zoominto_URLEncode(clearString) { var output = ""; var x = 0; clearString = clearString.toString(); var regex = /(^[a-zA-Z0-9_.]*)/; while (x < clearString.length) { var match = regex.exec(clearString.substr(x)); if (match != null && match.length > 1 && match[1] != "") { output += match[1]; x += match[1].length; } else { if (clearString[x] == " ") { output += "+"; } else { var charCode = clearString.charCodeAt(x); var hexVal = charCode.toString(16); output += "%" + (hexVal.length < 2 ? "0" : "") + hexVal.toUpperCase(); } x++; } } return output; } function Closeiepluginpanel() { closeflash(); } function zoominto_setImage(txturl) { zoominto_changeobject(txturl); } function logme(txtstr) { // try { //alert(txtstr); return ""; } function zoominto_changeobject(url) { //Method to Display the Viewer for Image trkval = "?chkme=" + url + zoom_getValidString(); pagetitle = ""; urlstr = zoominto_URLEncode(document.location); document.getElementById("div_plugin_img_player").innerHTML = "www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'>
    http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-3393826534218057&output=html&h=60&slotname=1811126426&w=468&lmt=1262504125&flash=10.0.32&url="+ document.location +"&correlator=1262504139215&frm=0&ga_vid=399649227.1262504140&ga_sid=1262504140&ga_hid=1178717796&ga_fc=0&u_tz=330&u_his=1&u_java=0&u_h=900&u_w=1600&u_ah=840&u_aw=1600&u_cd=32&u_nplug=8&u_nmime=9&dff=Verdana&dfs=16&biw=1600&bih=723&fu=0&ifi=1&dtd=759&xpc=h2YXWEfMlk&p="+window.location.protocol+"//\" name=\"google_ads_frame\" marginwidth=\"0\" marginheight=\"0\" id=\"google_ads_frame1\" hspace=\"0\" allowtransparency=\"true\"/>
    \n"; }

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I like Boldin, but to trade a pick and have top re-sing him for that money when they need a CB, OLB/DE, DL, OL, TE is probably a bit much.  They will find a WR somewhere and get 90% of Boldin's production for half the cost. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

You guys hate all players that arent Pats, I've heard of being a homer but sheesh!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Unlike Boldin Branch isn't going to cost them draft picks, isn't going to break the bank, and is a down feild WR.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1262959. Show user_1262959's posts

C'mon. I'd love to see Branch come back, but he's not in Boldin's universe right now and he'd have to take a lowball offer, something he's never been inclined to do.  And Thomas Jones isn't the answer.  He's 32 and has more mileage on him than Fred Taylor.  Antonio Bryant might be a good option, but will cost more than Boldin and isn't as good a player.  

So, assuming that Bodden signs elsewhere based on the outrageous contract that Dunta Robinson got, the Pats' will have 4 picks in the 1st and 2nd rounds to draft an OLB/DE, a CB, a WR a TE and an RB and hope that at least 2 out of the 4 pan out right away.  Not the best odds.  At least Boldin would have given you a proven, dynamic threat opposite Moss and take some of the heat off of coming up all aces in the draft. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Ok - would've could've should've....He is in Baltimore now.....let's turn our attention to the 'other' WR out there who could be even a greater impact than Boldin - who is actually 'still' out there - Brandon Marshall - This guy is 'UNCOVERABLE' - I know he is a NITWHIT - BUT - just b/c Denver tendered him with a #1 - doesn't mean Denver won't take a #2 and possible another pick either this yr or next?? (this stuff could be worked out...) - Besides, McDaniels had him for 1 yr - in his system.....transition would be easier coming here....Maybe sign him for one of those -NO NON-SENSE Contracts???? _ like they did with Moss/Stallworth...
    If you throw MOSS / MARSHALL at the JETS ??? against Revis / Cromartie?? - WOW - good stuff.  Then later in the yr - Welker back.....It's ALLLLLLLLL about Offense these days.....game has changed - rules have changed....etc.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

I'm not upset at not getting Boldin. 

Sign Derrick Mason. Brandon Tate should bring something to the table this year (I'm betting he's going to be a big fan favorite). 

So let''s see now. Brady could then choose between Moss, Mason, Edelman, Tate, Patten and (hopefully) Jermaine Gresham. Forget Branch. I'd take Mason over him in a heartbeat. He didn't fumble ONCE last year and still had 73 receptions for over 1000 yards. He'd give Tate a chance to blossom. And let's not forget Welker. I for one am not worried about the receiving corps in NE. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Boldin is NOT a down field receiver. He'd replace Welker. Branch knows this system.  He's way more to the point asthe "other" receiver opposite Moss and Edelman who has been capable as a possession WR.  I'd agree Marshall would be way more to the point. He's not coming here. Mason is also a possiblity since he can go long or short.

Why assume Bodden is signing elswhere? Just a few hours ago LaCanfora had the Pats very much in the mix.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla-2010. Show MVPkilla-2010's posts

And if Brandon Tate comes out next year and has a huge season after fully recovering from his knee injury what will you say then? BB is a genius right? You dont know what they know man. I am not saying you dont have a point cause you do they need to make a move but they might think Tate will fit nicely with their offense or they might think they have a good shot at drafting someone they are high on. And they have drafted some good WR's in the past, Deon Branch was a starter right away and David Givens was a 7th round guy that was a faverite target for Brady so the Pats can pick good and bad WR's.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Re: ENORMOUS BLUNDER: Not trading for Boldin:
    I'm not upset at not getting Boldin.  Sign Derrick Mason. Brandon Tate should bring something to the table this year (I'm betting he's going to be a big fan favorite).  So let''s see now. Brady could then choose between Moss, Mason, Edelman, Tate, Patten and (hopefully) Jermaine Gresham. Forget Branch. I'd take Mason over him in a heartbeat. He didn't fumble ONCE last year and still had 73 receptions for over 1000 yards. He'd give Tate a chance to blossom. And let's not forget Welker. I for one am not worried about the receiving corps in NE. 
    Posted by mrbungle
    I would love to see what Derrick Mason could do with a real QB running the show. He's got more heart in his pinky than any other WR,I don't know if he's a FA or not but I did read that the Ravens probably won't be trying to keep him now that they've signed Boldin.

Sections
Shortcuts