1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Enough about Hernandez. If we have to go with what we have lets take a look

88 Ballard, Jake TE 6-6 275 25 3 Ohio State
    86 Fells, Daniel TE 6-4 265 29 7 California-Davis
    49w Ford, Brandon TE 6-3 240 23 R Clemson
    87 Gronkowski, Rob TE 6-6 265 24 4 Arizona
    47 Hoomanawanui, Michael TE 6-4 263 24 4 Illinois
    44w Sudfeld, Zach TE 6-7 255 24 R Nevada

Ballard coming off injury, we need to see if he's up to speed. IMO good blocking te. 3 yr vet

fells and Hooman.  Very serviceable pair. Not the fastest but able to hang around in the system.  Fells played in 13 games and started 4. Hooman played in 14 and started 6. 

2 rookies ford and sudfeld.  Rave reviews for sudfeld so far. Have too see hewhtat happens with pads on in July.  Ford I don't know a lot about. 

Gronk, we all know about him. He could start gme 1, could strt week 6.  Or he could be the IR designation and be activated week 10 ( correct me if wrong ) 

Imo if we go with what we have we would be alright.  Time for the arm chair gms to adjust to the loss of Hernandez.  I'd personally take a look back at David Thomas.   

What do you think ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Enough about Hernandez. If we have to go with what we have lets take a look

I'm not sure the two TE offense is going to be quite so effective without Hern and Gronk together. We will have enough depth at TE (and quality too, assuming Gronk can play), but I think the offense may need to be tweaked with Hern's receptions going to a WR or to a back like Vereen rather than to a TE.  That means quality at other receiving positions is essential to gauging how the offense is affected by the loss of one of our two top receiving TEs.  There are still question marks at those other positions, however. 

If Gronk is out for an extended time, there are lots of question marks at TE too.  I hear Ballard is not 100% and has a noticeable limp. So he's still an injury concern. Fells and Hoomananui are not the same quality (especially as receivers) as Gronk and Hern.  And the other guys are all untested.  

Overall, I thnk we have more questions than answers right now.  But that's what camp and preseason are for . . . we have to hope that some of the wideouts emerge as major threats.  If they do, we will be fine.  If they don't, we better hope the defense is much improved.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

At least I won't have to watch AH run into db's and fall over after a catch instead of running to daylight and getting an extra ten yards!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

We had the same thoughts, Philski..  get past the AH stuff and talk football.  I posted a similar discussion this morning and didn't see yours.  Good to move on and see how the Pats adjust to losing a key player.

AGCSBill, just a fan havin' fun!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

At least I won't have to watch AH run into db's and fall over after a catch instead of running to daylight and getting an extra ten yards!

Pretty sure you're thinking about Lloyd.  Hern's YAC was one of the reasons he was so effective.

Regardless, Tom will make it work with the guys he has.  Always has and always will.  People will freak out until the season starts but once the Pats take the field in Week 1, we will see that this offense hasn't missed a beat.  I'm excited.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I'm not sure the two TE offense is going to be quite so effective without Hern and Gronk together. We will have enough depth at TE (and quality too, assuming Gronk can play), but I think the offense may need to be tweaked with Hern's receptions going to a WR or to a back like Vereen rather than to a TE.  That means quality at other receiving positions is essential to gauging how the offense is affected by the loss of one of our two top receiving TEs.  There are still question marks at those other positions, however. 

If Gronk is out for an extended time, there are lots of question marks at TE too.  I hear Ballard is not 100% and has a noticeable limp. So he's still an injury concern. Fells and Hoomananui are not the same quality (especially as receivers) as Gronk and Hern.  And the other guys are all untested.  

Overall, I thnk we have more questions than answers right now.  But that's what camp and preseason are for . . . we have to hope that some of the wideouts emerge as major threats.  If they do, we will be fine.  If they don't, we better hope the defense is much improved.

it all depends on Ballard and Gronk. If they are both healthy and 100% by week 3 then I think the 2 TE set can be as effective in a different manner. The receiving aspect will take a hit but having two similar types of TE's who are the size of smaller OL gives more option release plays and should improve the running game blocking scheme. The 2 TE set might evolve into a line that allows a runner to gain 4-5yrds every down be unpredictable which direction or inside/outside it may go. One thing about Hernandez was he was a decent blocker but other teams cheated towards Gronk on running downs limiting some plays. With a larger more effective blocker in Ballard it in turns makes the D have to spread up giving greater chances to create holes anywhere on the line. With Ridleys and Vereens burst, provided they read and react quick enough, this could lead to some great running

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

it all depends on Ballard and Gronk. If they are both healthy and 100% by week 3 then I think the 2 TE set can be as effective in a different manner. The receiving aspect will take a hit but having two similar types of TE's who are the size of smaller OL gives more option release plays and should improve the running game blocking scheme. The 2 TE set might evolve into a line that allows a runner to gain 4-5yrds every down be unpredictable which direction or inside/outside it may go. One thing about Hernandez was he was a decent blocker but other teams cheated towards Gronk on running downs limiting some plays. With a larger more effective blocker in Ballard it in turns makes the D have to spread up giving greater chances to create holes anywhere on the line. With Ridleys and Vereens burst, provided they read and react quick enough, this could lead to some great running

[/QUOTE

Pats, do you think Gronk is ever going to be the same. I don't trust that arm, and sorry to say he may get injured again. I hope they hold him out until he is healed, and not rush him back again.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

Pats, do you think Gronk is ever going to be the same. I don't trust that arm, and sorry to say he may get injured again. I hope they hold him out until he is healed, and not rush him back again.

There's options with Gronk. Keep him active and insert him in when ready. No matter how long that is   There's pup. Have to make that decision by week 6 or 7 I think dependent on the bye. Or tht new IR designation where he can come back week 10 like ray lewis did    So he has time to heal. 

Edit : sorry bill I didn't see your thread. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That is quite possible eng, but it's a very different kind of two TE offense, focused more on running and less on passing. I tend to think BB will try to replace Hernandez with a receiver first, but may go to a more run heavy offense (possibly with two TEs like you describe) if too few of the new receivers prove to be significant threats.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

As long as Caldwell can stretch the field, and Gabriel can dominate the side lines, and 37 year old Troy Brown can handle the slot when he's not playing defense, and Ben Watson can redefine the TE position as he has always done, and the rookie Maroney can carry a washed up Corey Dillion then we should be fine. Oh wait that was 2006? oh, andwe went to the afc championship game with that offense? oh and we scored 34 points? The offense will be fine, the defense is loaded with top round talent and depth. We will be in the hunt, as usual with Belichick behind the wheel    

"Defense Wins Championships"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

BB brought Dallas Clark in for a look last summer, so he may be on the top of his list of FA TE now.

Living well is the best revenge.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

BB brought Dallas Clark in for a look last summer, so he may be on the top of his list of FA TE now.

Living well is the best revenge.

I hope so.  Hopefully he liked what he seen because I think this addition would be a good one. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

[/QUOTE]

You may be right. One thing we can be sure of is that people defending against him will keep testing how strong those arms are. He'll have to endure cheap shots on those. I am not sure if the arm will hold up. Even if it can hold up, I am not sure if he will be able his mind will be able to.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Gronk and Hern complimented one anothers game styles in a way rarely seen.  It was like Moss and Welker (and yes, when both healthy it was truly that good).  There is absolutely no doubt the Pats offense took a tremendous blow with the loss of Hern.  Even more than Welker, as he at least has a worthy replacement (again, if healthy).  We have no one on our roster who can do what Hern could do.  Truthfully I felt he was one of the most underrated players in the NFL (even though he finally cracked the Top 100). 

Not trying to be the pessimist here, just a realist.  Pats offense will still be very effective.  I expect the backs will get a lot more involved in the passing game this year, both Ridley and especially Vereen have a knack for catching balls out of the backfield and then become very dangerous in the open field. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the key is going to be more the new receivers than the tight ends. I just don't see the tight ends contributing like we've become accustomed to, and I imagine the offense is being rebuilt as we sit here and wonder. I think a guy like Amendola is going to have to stay healthy...Edelman too, and the two receivers they drafted are going to have to grow up real quick. Lost in all this is a Shane Vareen who has been left off the hook two years in a row - he needs to be everything Kevin Faulk was as a pass catcher.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think the key is going to be more the new receivers than the tight ends. I just don't see the tight ends contributing like we've become accustomed to, and I imagine the offense is being rebuilt as we sit here and wonder. I think a guy like Amendola is going to have to stay healthy...Edelman too, and the two receivers they drafted are going to have to grow up real quick. Lost in all this is a Shane Vareen who has been left off the hook two years in a row - he needs to be everything Kevin Faulk was as a pass catcher.

i am in agreement with your post up until the Vareen comments. i am not sure why you think he was let off the hook last year. He was pretty much healthy from game 5 on and was productive when given the opportunity. It was the team that decided that Woodhead was going to get those 3rd down touches not Vareen.  I thought when given the opportunity Vareen showed some dynamic play making ability. I for one am looking forward to him getting those important 3rd down touches.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AudreyGriswold. Show AudreyGriswold's posts

I was wondering.  When Gronk becomes healthy, and if BB decides to keep his offense close to what it has been.  Which TE do you guys think he would choose to replace AH missing talent there?

Thx Smile

Audrey

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AudreyGriswold. Show AudreyGriswold's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to AudreyGriswold's comment:

I was wondering.  When Gronk becomes healthy, and if BB decides to keep his offense close to what it has been.  Which TE do you guys think he would choose to replace AH missing talent there?

Thx Smile

Audrey

Maybe you should stick to knitting, Audrey.  Good luck.

"thx"

It's an honest question.  Which TE do you think catches the ball better than the others?  Which TE do you think blocks better than the others?  Plus.  I like keeping in the family.Wink

Sections
Shortcuts