Enough Of Vince!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Enough Of Vince!

Sorry, but with the 33 year old (in November) Vince, coming off a serious injury, having  an $11.6mil. cap hit, and a $7.5mil. salary...he needs to either get reasonable, or go. That said, I am not advocating releasing him, so that he can sign with whatever team he likes. I am advocating trading him.

Please, don't say it can't be done. If the Oakland Raiders gave the Texans a high 6th round pick for QB Matt Schaub and his $14mil. salary, the Pats should be able to find a willing trade partner in the NFC, or an AFC team that the Pats don't face in the regular season...who is willing to part with at least a 7th round pick for Vince.

The compensation doesn't matter. What matters is that the Pats pick the team that he plays for, rather than have Vince do something like sign with the Broncos, Ravens, or the Jets.   

The Pats should not delay any further. Get this done now, before teams run out of cap space to pay Vince...and to clear cap space before the free agent market dries completely up.

Folks, I want the Pats to improve their DL. But if Vince isn't the player he once was, it's time to move on. They can use that cap space to shore up other areas of weakness on their team...at WR, TE, RB, or pass-rusher. That would be one less area that they have to address in the draft.

Even if the Pats keep Vince, they would still have to address their DL in the draft.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Enough Of Vince!

Schaub agreed to restructure his deal to facilitate a trade.

Schaub isn't in the last year of his contract and isn't coming off a catastrophic injury.

The Raiders are one of the worst run teams in NFL history.

IMO there is no way Vince is tradeable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Pat a team cannot manange personel out of fear of where they may go. The Jets have done that with us for years. Scooping up our free agents, signing players to keep them away from us, even tampering with players under contract to us.

Where has it gotten them? They still haven't been to a SB since rotary dial telephones.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Schaub isn't in the last year of his contract and isn't coming off a catastrophic injury.

+1  At this point he is a completely unknown quantity.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

...plus he thinks he can still perform at his pre-injury level.  Are the Pats willing to take that chance?  I think not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

If that's the case...then hold onto Vince for as long as possible, before cutting him. The Pats shouldn't be allocating over $11mil. in cap space to a soon to be 33 year old DT, coming off a serious injury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

If that's the case...then hold onto Vince for as long as possible, before cutting him. The Pats shouldn't be allocating over $11mil. in cap space to a soon to be 33 year old DT, coming off a serious injury.

Can they cut him if he is still officially injured? I know it's just words but isn't there a difference between cutting a player and granting his request for release.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

...plus he thinks he can still perform at his pre-injury level.  Are the Pats willing to take that chance?  I think not.

They're willing to take the chance. Just not at his current contract pay.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I don't expect the team to cut Vince.  What are they going to use the cap space on?  Vince has far more upside than any of the remaining FA's imo.  I'm leaning towards letting him play out the last year of his deal.  If he sucks then he is off the books after the season.  If he doesn't then you can always re up him after the season.  I'm wary of guaranteeing him any money in future seasons until we see him in game action again.  Unless an extension is very friendly I'd rather overpay him this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

He'll end up back with the pats on a new deal.....hope his leg is better....I think they want to make one more substantial deal on D and will need VW to restructure to do it!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Raiders may have restructured Schaub's contract, but they're still paying him a ton of money: http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/3/23/5540818/matt-schaub-restructures-his-contract-with-oakland-raiders

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I should have added that...  the Pats do not want to be committed to pay a player that potentially will not "earn" the $11M as expected.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't expect the team to cut Vince.  What are they going to use the cap space on?  Vince has far more upside than any of the remaining FA's imo.  I'm leaning towards letting him play out the last year of his deal.  If he sucks then he is off the books after the season.  If he doesn't then you can always re up him after the season.  I'm wary of guaranteeing him any money in future seasons until we see him in game action again.

I kind of agree with you on all of this...what defensive lineman are they going to get at this point in free agency that is of Vince's caliber? None, they are all gone now. I'm sure if the pats knew Vince was going to act like this they would of cut him immediately and signed Red Bryant to play the run, but now?? Who they going to get?

At least if he plays out the last year of his deal he will come off the books next year and we can use that money elsewhere. I don't think I want to give this guy a two or three year deal worth 15-20 million...and that sounds like what he wants.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

I should have added that...  the Pats do not want to be committed to pay a player that potentially will not "earn" the $11M as expected.

Which leads to the question...does anyone know the current status of his injury? Has he done anything that someone can point to and say 'he appears to be recovering on schedule'. The last I remember reading was that he expected to be out of the walking boot by New Years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Any extension or trade would be contingent on the results of physical. When Vince is healthy he is one of top five DTs in the game.  Looks good on stunts with Chandler IMHO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

Over the past 10 years Vince has been one of the top 10 defensive tackles in the game . . .  last season he was showing his age before the injury and now he is older, heavier and unkown as to how that injury will affect his game going forward.  If he does not restructure he is gone  . . .   BB will not gamble that much money because Bill does not pay for past performances.  Vince restructures or he will be cut. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to tenace4life's comment:

Over the past 10 years Vince has been one of the top 10 defensive tackles in the game . . .  last season he was showing his age before the injury and now he is older, heavier and unkown as to how that injury will affect his game going forward.  If he does not restructure he is gone  . . .   BB will not gamble that much money because Bill does not pay for past performances.  Vince restructures or he will be cut. 

What's his cap hit for being cut while injured?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

The Raiders may have restructured Schaub's contract, but they're still paying him a ton of money: http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2014/3/23/5540818/matt-schaub-restructures-his-contract-with-oakland-raiders

also remember the QB position is most important hence most expensive.

in a throwing league, a run stuffing DT isnt a hot commodity.

the raiders are in dire need of a QB, and schuab isnt horrible just lost confidence.

Vince isnt getting traded at all. no one wants a 33yo with a 7.5M salary when the draft is around the corner and other DTs are still there (Pat Sims) iin FA.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

When do they have to release him by, so they can avoid a sizeable cap hit?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

also remember the QB position is most important hence most expensive.

in a throwing league, a run stuffing DT isnt a hot commodity.

the raiders are in dire need of a QB, and schuab isnt horrible just lost confidence.

Vince isnt getting traded at all. no one wants a 33yo with a 7.5M salary when the draft is around the corner and other DTs are still there (Pat Sims) iin FA.

Mostly true but if you add 'and is coming off an achilles tendon tear' it is completely true.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Mostly true but if you add 'and is coming off an achilles tendon tear' it is completely true.

of course that too. I just thought it was assumed at this point haha. a 325-350 dude coming off an achilles is a huge question mark even for a 25yo with a 4 million salary.

like we said, no one is trading for Vince

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Vince is getting on my nerves, he is acting like a spoiled kid.  He is smarter then this.  Probably the old ball and chain yapping in his ear.  I expect him to come to his senses and make a good deal.

Peace!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

When do they have to release him by, so they can avoid a sizeable cap hit?

Yes.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Any extension or trade would be contingent on the results of physical. When Vince is healthy he is one of top five DTs in the game.  Looks good on stunts with Chandler IMHO.

I still think that some team could step up. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

I still think that some team could step up. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Are you Nucking Futs!

No team will step up and pay him that.  He is a older, heavier, injured player.  We need let him go if he isn't willing to redo his contract.

Sections
Shortcuts