Enough time passed to evaluate offseason free agency moves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Enough time passed to evaluate offseason free agency moves

I think enough time has now passed in the season to evaluate our offseason free agency moves. Not draft!

The Good

1. Brandon McGowen. Awesome!!
    2. Leigh Bodden. Very very good. Would have been nice to have had a multi-year deal.
    3. Tully Banta Cain. Our most reliable pass rusher now for essentially peanuts. 
    4. 1st Rd draft choice in 2010 for Seymour. Great move. Hardly feel his absence.

The OKish

1. Chris Baker. Decent and effective but nothing spectacular. Fills a need.
    2. Fred Taylor. Injury prone awesome runner is............. injured after a few awesome games. Meh.............
    3. Re-signing Mike Wright. Solid guy, not too expensive.
    4. Re-signing Sanders. The rise of Merriweather/McGowan/Chung could not have been foreseen. Was a solid move at the time.

The Bad

1. Trading David Thomas for 7th rd draft choice. Productive star in NO Saints scheme now, he was solid with us for 3 yrs. Was released while we kept Smith. Then released Smith and down to 2 Tight Ends. Fail!  
    2. 3rd and 5th rd for Derrick Burgess. I guess you can call this OKish not Bad. But really expect more from someone we paid so much for. Hardly gets any pass rush. It's all Tully at the moment. 
    3. Shawn Springs. The only reason this isn't ugly is that he was cheap, didnt cost draft picks and still on roster. But he is never on the field and has zero impact. 

The Ugly

1. Not re-signing Jabar Gaffney. NE could easily have re-signed Gaffney for the money Broncos gave him. Instead we wasted that money on Galloway
    2. Signing Joey Galloway. Looked bad, then ugly, then cut. Fail!
    3. Alex Smith. 5th Round draft choice and cut. Fail!
    4. Greg Lewis. 5th Round draft choice and cut. Fail! Now productive with Green Bay. Our 3rd wideout is Stanback!! And we let Gaffney and Lewis go. 
    5. Andrew Walter signing. Fail!

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

Re: Enough time passed to evaluate offseason free agency moves

In Response to Enough time passed to evaluate offseason free agency moves:
    [QUOTE] 3. 1st Rd draft choice in 2010 for Seymour. Great move. Hardly feel his absence. Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

I think the 1st round pick is in 2011 - not next Spring. hardly feel his absence? Wilfok has been playing guard because Sey is not around. Still a good move IMO, but "hardly feel his absence"? We are not watching the same game - he was our best pass rush last year - this year what do we have? Did losing Asante last year effect us?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

"3. Tully Banta Cain. Our most reliable pass rusher now for essentially peanuts"

5 Sacks thru 10 games (currently 22 in NFL) doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy's.  Our most reliable pass rusher shows just how pathetic we are in that most important area of the game.  He's shiny junk compaired to AD, Burgess and that guy who's whiff lead to the blocked punt (Woods). 

I'd say OKish.

The rest are good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Enough time passed to evaluate offseason free agency moves:
    [QUOTE]I think enough time has now passed in the season to evaluate our offseason free agency moves. Not draft! The Good 1. Brandon McGowen. Awesome!! 2. Leigh Bodden. Very very good. Would have been nice to have had a multi-year deal. 3. Tully Banta Cain. Our most reliable pass rusher now for essentially peanuts.  4. 1st Rd draft choice in 2010 for Seymour. Great move. Hardly feel his absence. The OKish 1. Chris Baker. Decent and effective but nothing spectacular. Fills a need. 2. Fred Taylor. Injury prone awesome runner is............. injured after a few awesome games. Meh............. 3. Re-signing Mike Wright. Solid guy, not too expensive. 4. Re-signing Sanders. The rise of Merriweather/McGowan/Chung could not have been foreseen. Was a solid move at the time. The Bad 1. Trading David Thomas for 7th rd draft choice. Productive star in NO Saints scheme now, he was solid with us for 3 yrs. Was released while we kept Smith. Then released Smith and down to 2 Tight Ends. Fail!   2. 3rd and 5th rd for Derrick Burgess. I guess you can call this OKish not Bad. But really expect more from someone we paid so much for. Hardly gets any pass rush. It's all Tully at the moment.  3. Shawn Springs. The only reason this isn't ugly is that he was cheap, didnt cost draft picks and still on roster. But he is never on the field and has zero impact.  The Ugly 1. Not re-signing Jabar Gaffney. NE could easily have re-signed Gaffney for the money Broncos gave him. Instead we wasted that money on Galloway 2. Signing Joey Galloway. Looked bad, then ugly, then cut. Fail! 3. Alex Smith. 5th Round draft choice and cut. Fail! 4. Greg Lewis. 5th Round draft choice and cut. Fail! Now productive with Green Bay. Our 3rd wideout is Stanback!! And we let Gaffney and Lewis go.  5. Andrew Walter signing. Fail! Thoughts?
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

murghkhor and ALL:

~See I really wonder about the mentality of some of these trades...  BB simply gave up way, way too much in terms of Draft Picks on Alex Smith, Greg Lewis, and Derrick Burgess.  I'm still unsure IF Lewis really is just a decent wideout or just a player who comes alive for 1-2 super games a year, And/OR He certainly it seemed to me- simply didn't get much time to catch on here before his release.  Specifically though on Burgess/Smith: I know Smith was rumoured to be on the verge of being cut by Tampa, while Burgess had Oakland in a tight spot by holding out of Training Camp... Also, BOTH were/are 2010 Free Agents so it's only natural questioning the good sense of giving away MULTIPLE Draft Selections for simply a 1 year rental role player... 

It seems if ANYthing could be said about this past Offseason, It would be that Belichick (at least this year)-was a little to brash and eager in his successful-in-the-past, Attempts of getting the absolute most from unheralded no-name Free Agent bit-players on some squads/lost gems warming the bench on other teams.  In hindsight (20-20 obviously), Pats might have been able to afford a pretty large FA Trade or two, For a star in his prime or at least make a few big-time future Draft Day Trades with those lost picks...  Oh well, It really HAS worked in the past, But THIS time around, it seems that The End Production AND Initial Cost behind Mass quantities but largely mediocre and inferior parts were less output-reliable and definately less economical THAN a much smaller number of superior and quality pieces...(but again, 20-20 vision now, right?)...

Thoughts ANYONE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

OKish? is that some kind 'Nawlins/cajun food?

Good post, agree that the #3 receiver spot is a black hole for this team

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'd tend to agree.  I think the jury's still out on Burgess.  They have him playing a different role than he's played in the past.  I wouldn't be surprised if he comes on strong late in the year as he gets more comfortable in the role and Pats' system.  

The third WR position has been a mess . . . BB wasted some picks, but then he had to do something. Stanback may turn out to be a gem.  He's a big receiver which (if he turns out to be any good) would add something to our offense.  

I never liked dumping Thomas and picking up Matthews.  But Thomas never really had a clear role in our offense.  I guess BB wanted more of a blocker at that position, which makes some sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Just because Banta-Cain isn't Jared Allen or Demarcus Ware doesn't mean he wasn't a GREAT pickup.  For the money they paid, they have gotten a guy who is a productive pass rusher and has been surprisingly effective at setting the edge in the running game.

And judging a pass rusher simply by sack numbers is really poor.  He's hurried the QB plenty of times as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from K-max. Show K-max's posts

I didn't realize that sacks was a poor matrix to use to judge a pass rusher. 

I guess I will write a letter to the NFL and everyone else currently using it as a matrix (agents, statisticians, players and teams) and tell them to stop as per pyegain since he/she thinks it's poor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Using sacks ALONE is not a good way to judge pass rush.  Obviously they mean something, but there's more to it than that.  For example, the Jets didn't sack Brady a single time in week 2.  However, anyone who watched that game will tell you that their pass rush completely destroyed the rhythm of the offense.  Brady had to release the ball early and was on his butt after nearly every pass attempt.  

I think that was pretty clear in my comment that there is more IN ADDITION to sacks to judge a pass rusher.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

In Response to Re: Enough time passed to evaluate offseason free agency moves:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Enough time passed to evaluate offseason free agency moves : I think the 1st round pick is in 2011 - not next Spring. hardly feel his absence? Wilfok has been playing guard because Sey is not around. Still a good move IMO, but "hardly feel his absence"? We are not watching the same game - he was our best pass rush last year - this year what do we have? Did losing Asante last year effect us?
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea[/QUOTE]
    we lost him in 07 dumb f*ck. and seymore was dead weight, now that hes gone wilfork is shinning like a sun

Sections
Shortcuts