Eric Decker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats3392. Show pats3392's posts

Eric Decker

reminds me of sidney rice

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepats51. Show nepats51's posts

Re: Eric Decker

id love to see this kid in a pats uniform!!!!!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

He is a Pats type too. A great route runner 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

They brought him in for a look if I remember correctly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Just watched the video. No way this guy gets open in the nfl, he's not getting seperation in college. His qb stinks and I'm sure the ball should have been delivered sooner on some of his catches, but he really can't seperate. Nice hands, good size, takes a hit, but one of the only times he was getting seperation is when he pushed off.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Eric Decker:
    Just watched the video. No way this guy gets open in the nfl, he's not getting seperation in college. His qb stinks and I'm sure the ball should have been delivered sooner on some of his catches, but he really can't seperate. Nice hands, good size, takes a hit, but one of the only times he was getting seperation is when he pushed off.
    Posted by mthurl

He wont if he was doing the stuff that he was in the tape but he projects more as a possession WR, so he be doing more 10 yard slants and post. HE also runs good routes which helps create separation and reduces the need for it to a degree 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

Ive posted and talked about Decker on some occassions. One thing Ive always said is that he wont run away from anyone , but he'll catch everything thrown his way. No hes not Sidney Rice , but think more along the lines of T.J. , even a Torry Holt to some extent. Id rather have him then Thomas. Theres plenty of WR's who have made a nice living using their hands , instincts and FBI. I just have this feeling about Decker. Coming from a pro style O helps too. Compare that w/ Thomas who ran 2 routes his entire time in college. Plus think about it for a second , throughout the history of the NFL how many WRs get by on PURE skill? Not many if you seriously go through a list of the best. Id much rather have a Decker , Gilyard , Barnes , Briscoe , Lafell , Mitchell , either Williams then Thomas. I see bust all over this kid.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Decker doesn't need to get a lot of separation to make the play.  He is big, physical, and uses his body to shield defenders from the ball.  He high points the ball and can make the acrobatic catch in traffic.  All he needs to do it run a good route to put himself in position for a QB like Brady to deliver the ball, and he will come down with it.  He also had the highest Wonderlic score at this year's combine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Scouts Inc. gives Decker an overall grade of 82, and has him as the fifth best receiver, and 57th best overall player in the draft.

(1=Elite, 2=Above average, 3=average)

Separation Skills2Polished routes makes up for lack of burst out of cuts. Drops hips and transitions smoothly when getting into break. Wades through traffic well and finds the open area against zone coverage. However, could do a better job of using hands to get off of press coverage.
    Ball Skills2Soft and reliable hands. Body control is top-notch and can make difficult catch look easy. Uses big frame to shield defenders from the ball. Could do a better job of timing jumps and doesn't always high point the ball.
    Vertical Speed4Short-are burst allows him to eat up cushion quickly but quicker than fast and not going to run by many NFL corners.
    Run After Catch3Strong runner that can pick up yards after contact and fights for first downs. Lacks elite elusiveness and isn't going to make many defenders miss in a confined area.
    Competitiveness/Toughness1Attacks the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him. Fearless going across the middle and can hang onto the ball after taking a big hit. Shows excellent sideline awareness. Also shows a good understanding to find open area off of QB scramble. Works hard to cover up defenders in the run game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dantehopkins. Show dantehopkins's posts

Line him up at TE and I'd take him...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Eric Decker : He wont if he was doing the stuff that he was in the tape but he projects more as a possession WR, so he be doing more 10 yard slants and post. HE also runs good routes which helps create separation and reduces the need for it to a degree 
    Posted by thejoshuatree28

Maybe I'm wrong then. There have been some outstanding wideouts that don't seperate. I have a real hard time telling if a guy runs great routes because (A.) I don't really know what his route is. (B.) Can't really see much of a play develop on TV. He's got nice size and hands though and the pats are showing interest.

To me it seems as if the pats are always looking for extremely quick guys that get open right away and can run after the catch. I don't see this guy running after the catch, but Keyshawn Johnson and Ed McCaffrey didn't either and they were great. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

get him with pick #53, or trade it for #55 and a late 3rd

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

i have him in my top 5 picks

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I'm a big Decker fan. He's not going to kill you with speed, but his precise routes and good hands can always be used at the NFL level. He'll never going to be an elite number one receiver, but neither was Troy Brown or Wes Welker. He also has height, which can always come in handy. I'd be happy if the pats grabbed him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

A couple other receivers I would like to pick up are Arrelious Benn, Jordan Shipley, and Demaryius Thomas.

I already have a post on Benn, see it for his highlights

Demaryius Thomas, to me, looks like an absolute monster. I should have started a thread on him, but don't want to overwhelm the boards with receiver threads. He has it all. As one of the people in the Youtube comments said, "Looks like Terrell Owens out there."

Here's his video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMK59U6nCuw&feature=fvst

Then there's Jordan Shipley. He reminds me of Wes Welker and could be drafted later. If he's there in the fourth round the Pats should grab him. Here's his video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdCcQh05tPk&feature=related

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

He reminds me of Jabbar Gaffney. Mediocre speed, smart route runner, good hands.

What I like about Decker is that he fights for the ball in traffic. You can't teach that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

In Response to Re: Eric Decker : Maybe I'm wrong then. There have been some outstanding wideouts that don't seperate. I have a real hard time telling if a guy runs great routes because (A.) I don't really know what his route is. (B.) Can't really see much of a play develop on TV. He's got nice size and hands though and the pats are showing interest. To me it seems as if the pats are always looking for extremely quick guys that get open right away and can run after the catch. I don't see this guy running after the catch, but Keyshawn Johnson and Ed McCaffrey didn't either and they were great. 
    Posted by mthurl

You also have to take into consideration that the youtube clip is a highlight reel, so it doesn't show very well things that he does consistently every play.

Another receiver I like is Andre Roberts out of The Citadel, he tore it up in the senior bowl, one of the best route runners there, he also has hands of glue, dropped something like 3 passes his entire college career. I don't care what your level of competition is thats good.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

A couple other receivers I would like to pick up are Arrelious Benn, Jordan Shipley, and Demaryius Thomas. I already have a post on Benn, see it for his highlights Demaryius Thomas, to me, looks like an absolute monster. I should have started a thread on him, but don't want to overwhelm the boards with receiver threads. He has it all. As one of the people in the Youtube comments said, "Looks like Terrell Owens out there." Here's his video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMK59U6nCuw&feature=fvst Then there's Jordan Shipley. He reminds me of Wes Welker and could be drafted later. If he's there in the fourth round the Pats should grab him. Here's his video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdCcQh05tPk&feature=related
    Posted by magicalhobo

Shipley looks like he could come right in and catch 70 passes in this offense. You know Welker is not giving you anything next year and Brady loves that slot safety valve type who runs routes right and catches the ball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: Eric Decker : Shipley looks like he could come right in and catch 70 passes in this offense. You know Welker is not giving you anything next year and Brady loves that slot safety valve type who runs routes right and catches the ball.
    Posted by mthurl

Yeah, he looks great. Here's a scouting report on him. http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/18/1253998/jordan-shipley-nfl-draft-scouting

He was supposed to be a 3rd/4th round pick, but I guess it's looking like he's going to be a 2nd.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I would be just as happy with either Decker or Riley Cooper,as I would be with Demaryius Thomas or Dez Bryant. They are all plausible choices but if they are looking for the bomb as a TE it has to be Hernandez or Dickerson from Pitt. If they draft a TE first Gresham if available will be the choice and in the Second round I think they would be lucky if Hernandez falls to #44 so then either Gronkowski or Pitta or Dickerson are next up in no particular order.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I like Andre Roberts over Decker. Not as big as Decker, but he is a player. Good speed (4.46), great hands, and decent size. He's similar in size to GTate. 

Right now projected 3rd/4th round, but I think he will go sooner. Would like to see the Pats trade for a 3rd and use it on Roberts. 

Sections
Shortcuts