Eric Wilbur blog passing on ridiculous theories with no sources

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Eric Wilbur blog passing on ridiculous theories with no sources

Eric Wilbur posted the following in his sports blog. I did cut the end off because of length.

My question is who are the people who is referring to? (in red) are they ESPN? are they from this board? or are they credible authorities?

It bugs me he does not give any examples...could be he is just looking at message boards and chat rooms?

Limited Welker leads to ridiculous theories

|Posted by Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff  September 12, 2012 09:36 AM

Making conclusions after Week 1 of the NFL season is foolish at best, lazy at worst, so it's interesting to hear how many people wonder if Bill Belichick is working Patriots receiver Wes Welker out of town after he had only three catches for 14 yards in Sunday's win against Tennessee. Never mind that in his Patriots career, Welker has had eight other games (not including the game against Houston in which he tore his ACL), when he had three catches or fewer, including a pair in his breakout 2007 season. In fact, on 15 separate occasions during his time in New England, Welker has managed just four or fewer catches in a game.

But where there's smoke, there are far too many brains grinding, looking for answers. After all, Welker is playing under the franchise tag, he didn't see as much playing time in Tennessee as he did last year, and not to mention, there was that whole "bad pass/dropped ball" that began in Indianapolis last February, despite how a seeming majority seem content in laying the blame on the wide receiver.

So, the easy thought process is that Belichick is playing him out of town, content to use other weapons such as Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, and Brandon Lloyd the rest of the way...why? Because he's showing him up for the Super Bowl loss? That's one idiotic theory that was bandied about this week in some circles, as was the idea that Belichick and Josh McDaniels are phasing him out sooner rather than later, with Welker's free agency looming. Perhaps there's some credence to the latter, as the team plans to forge ahead next season without doling out a multi-year contract, or franchising the player for a second straight season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Re: Eric Wilbur blog passing on ridiculous theories with no sources

Another writer pulling his articles directly from the message boards... If enough people write about these unfounded claims in the message boards, they figure enough will read the bu11 $h1t when they rewrite it. Just about as lame as it can get.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

This is so stupid. How many times does the press need to see that the Patriots take with the defense gives them. Every week the game plan will be different. Some weeks they'll run on teams if the defense is soft on the run. Some weeks it will be heavy with long passes because the other teams defense doesn't have a good pass rush and the Patriots offensive line has good protection for TB. Other weeks it will be short passes because the other team's defense has a good pass rush. This is when Welker will most likely see more action. But then they do have more weapons which means Welker, and Gronk may not see as many passes as they did last year. They are both very professional and understand the team will do what they feel is best for the team to win. Some in the media understand this but there others who are just trying to get a story and headlines which are the writers I have no respect for.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to GO47's comment:

This is so stupid. How many times does the press need to see that the Patriots take with the defense gives them. Every week the game plan will be different. Some weeks they'll run on teams if the defense is soft on the run. Some weeks it will be heavy with long passes because the other teams defense doesn't have a good pass rush and the Patriots offensive line has good protection for TB. Other weeks it will be short passes because the other team's defense has a good pass rush. This is when Welker will most likely see more action. But then they do have more weapons which means Welker, and Gronk may not see as many passes as they did last year. They are both very professional and understand the team will do what they feel is best for the team to win. Some in the media understand this but there others who are just trying to get a story and headlines which are the writers I have no respect for.

In fairness, I cut off the end..his conclusion is like yours:

"Welker may not be back in 2013, but to suggest Belichick and Co. have decided to phase him out after four quarters of football is, while an approach to keep watching, an assumption that will probably be rendered silly in the coming weeks. Remember, after Game 1 last season, Chad Henne was headed to the Pro Bowl, so let's all just relax."

My point was who are these people he talks about? The ones with their brains grinding who go around in some circles and pass on these theories...he does not say.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:

Another writer pulling his articles directly from the message boards... If enough people write about these unfounded claims in the message boards, they figure enough will read the bu11 $h1t when they rewrite it. Just about as lame as it can get.

Maybe a globe writer will write an article on: People in the message boards suspecting their lame theories are being used as material for globe columns.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:

In fairness, I cut off the end..his conclusion is like yours:

"Welker may not be back in 2013, but to suggest Belichick and Co. have decided to phase him out after four quarters of football is, while an approach to keep watching, an assumption that will probably be rendered silly in the coming weeks. Remember, after Game 1 last season, Chad Henne was headed to the Pro Bowl, so let's all just relax."

My point was who are these people he talks about? The ones with their brains grinding who go around in some circles and pass on these theories...he does not say.

He may be talking about the media. The Herald, Boston.com, and ESPN have all had articles about it. We've also heard EEI and 98.5 going back and forth on this. It's almost like they try to out do each other to get the story out first even if there is no validity to it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

He may be talking about the media. The Herald, Boston.com, and ESPN have all had articles about it. We've also heard EEI and 98.5 going back and forth on this. It's almost like they try to out do each other to get the story out first even if there is no validity to it.

OK, so it is has become ubiquitous to the point of not needing to mention specific sources...I'll buy that, but without mentioning the sources the blog sounds like some sort of high school girls gossip session. Like Part-timer I actually thought he was trolling these forums by the way it was written.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

there might be some truth to the Pats intentionally not giving Welker a ton of reps but that might be simply because they are trying to work in his long term replacement. Every team should do this and if they don't then they aren't a very good team to begin with.

BTW Ty Law, Troy Brown, and even Wiggy said this is what BB does when BB doesn't feel the player will be around next year. BB starts to lower snaps and slowly works in the person BB feels will replace them.

I doubt it has anything to do with contract negotiations just BB sees the end coming and wants to work in Edelman and Hern as potential long term replacements

9. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts