Eric Winston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Eric Winston

Cheaper alternative to Vollmer? Just got released by the Chiefs...29 years old...signed a 4 year 22 million dollar deal last year. The guy is 6'7" 300, plays right tackle in a zone blocking scheme, brought in by Pioli...pretty good and sought after player.

Got to think this guy can be had for less than Vollmer wants/may get.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Eric Winston

In response to mthurl's comment:

Cheaper alternative to Vollmer? Just got released by the Chiefs...29 years old...signed a 4 year 22 million dollar deal last year. The guy is 6'7" 300, plays right tackle in a zone blocking scheme, brought in by Pioli...pretty good and sought after player.

mthurl, i would agree, but ddint see him last year. did he decline. why did they cut him if they had him under control for 4 years at a good price?

if it all checked out, yes it would eb a cheaper optin than vollmer and better than cannon

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

I was just about to post the news. Eric Winston is no Vollmer, I like Vollmer, but who knows whether Scarnecchia may not be able to coach Eric up to a very high level.  Winston's contract is certainly lower than that of the figures bandied about for Vollmer. So if the Pats is losing Vollmer to free agency, they definitely should consider Winston.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

Here's your cheaper option:  Deal Mankins and let Vollmer walk. Promote Cannon, resign Thomas for LG in place of Mankins.

Can't deal Mankins without incurring huge dead money cap hit - but in principle I agree that his past two years have not been great and I like Thomas a lot at a much lower number.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Here's your cheaper option:  Deal Mankins and let Vollmer walk. Promote Cannon, resign Thomas for LG in place of Mankins.

I don't think anyone is going to deal for Mankins, the guy shouldn't of been signed in the first place. You don't pay guards that type of money - I was shocked they did that, don't get me wrong...goog player...tough guy...type you want on your team, but he's still a guard. Guards don't get payed like that unless they are reinvent the position types.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Can't deal Mankins without incurring huge dead money cap hit - but in principle I agree that his past two years have not been great and I like Thomas a lot at a much lower number.

My source shows Mankins 2013 cap money is $10 million and dead money is $12 million.  WOW!! Can that be right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The first thing I thought of when I heard the news of Winston's being released,KC could make a move on Vollmer. As for all the trade Mankins talk it's kind of crazy because though you generally don't pay a guard that kind of money Mankins is a one of a kind guard he helps protect the weaker LT's that the Patriots have employed.Light wouldn't have been nearly as sucessful had he not had Mankins picking up the slack. Solder is still in the developemental stage professionally and his mentor is Mankins. As for Thomas he is a reserve RG. Oh and I think if Mankins wanted too play any other line position he would excel. Just saying....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from braunzy. Show braunzy's posts

How does Winston compare to Nick Kaczur when he played here? I seem to remember a lot of Pats fans not too content with Kaczur's play, but he never cost near the same amount Vollmer is seeking today.

As much as I like Vollmer, it seems like a lot of money to invest in a RT (6+ mil) especially when you have a guard making 10 mil (that is crazy!). Nevermind a RT that misses as many games as he does

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

My source shows Mankins 2013 cap money is $10 million and dead money is $12 million.  WOW!! Can that be right?

my understanding as well, more money to cut him. than keephim

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

and by the way, if winston was cut becasue of spekaing out as a conscience to the fans of kc for cheeign cassels injury, thats the kind of guy i want on my team. all the more if he can do his job. and he comes at half the cost of vollmer.....take a look.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Yes, it is because of the signing bonus. The bonus is spread out over the life of the contract. It eases the cap hit. However, if a player is cut, the bonus then must be paid that same year, eliminating the spreading out of the bonus. 

I am unfamiliar with Mankins contract language. Often times there are provisions if a player is cut, what ever team that player signs for, the team cutting him is only to pay him the diffence. 

Example, player is owed $10 million. He is then cut. Other team signs player for $5 million. Player is then owed only $5 million from original team. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I sense a lot of fans don't really appreciate how important the O line is.  Replacing Mankins and Vollmer with JAGs is not going to help this offense be more effective in a Super Bowl against a defensive front like San Francisco's.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Money will be a factor.

However, he has developed a rep for taking plays off and running his mouth in the locker room.

But, if he behaves, he's pretty decent.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I sense a lot of fans don't really appreciate how important the O line is.  Replacing Mankins and Vollmer with JAGs is not going to help this offense be more effective in a Super Bowl against a defensive front like San Francisco's.  

This.  I find it odd there are so many people saying we need to give Vince more help on the DL (which we do), but then seem to treat the other trench as a given.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Cannon def. aint the answer at tackle but I liked Winston in Houston but didnt watch him much in KC. If we can get a healthier, cheapier option than Vollmer im all for it but u cant just plug in anyone the way this team passes the ball.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

my understanding as well, more money to cut him. than keephim

And they have a death grip on their wallet for Welker?  Come on!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

mthurl, i would agree, but ddint see him last year. did he decline. why did they cut him if they had him under control for 4 years at a good price?

if it all checked out, yes it would eb a cheaper optin than vollmer and better than cannon

My guess would be they're set on drafting Joekel at #1 and since they tagged Albert, Winston became expendable? Albert is not being very tight-lipped about his reluctance to shift over to RG though.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

My take on a couple of things.  I don't know enough about Winston to contribute specifically about him.  With respect to Mankins, the contract is what it is.  I don't see him going anywhere.  Regardless of whether Vollmer stays or goes I haven't seen enough of Cannon to say he can or cannot do the job at RT on a game in, game out basis.  I do agree that the Pats coaching staff seems to like him.  If Vollmer goes and BB says Cannon's the guy then we'll have to see.

I also agree that the O-line is critical to the team's offensive success.  That said, it's clear that there is some depth on the roster now and it will probably increase as the season approaches.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Winston was rated as a top 10 RT on rotoworld.

Also says that he's a better fit for a zone blocking scheme. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

This.  I find it odd there are so many people saying we need to give Vince more help on the DL (which we do), but then seem to treat the other trench as a given.

I would argue when Connolly or Thomas filled in for Mankins in extended action, our offense didn't miss a beat.  So, it depends what your perception is of Mankins.  I would also argue that it appears that the name on the jersey and reputation by some here with regards to Mankins seems to trump reality.

He's overpaid and overrated. If someone offered a high 3rd rd pick for him right now, I'd deal him and sign Thomas instead. Thomas is pretty good and obviously wouldn't cost 9 million.

Nick McDonald is a fine swing interior lineman.  Draft a Tackle and sign a veteran one. Winston is still very good and will be too pricey. They also have Zuvescics on the roster who they keep hanging onto, so maybe they can develop him at Tackle.

Our offense struggles against the elite Ds due to obsessive shotgun use and spread formations, which makes it finesse and one dimensional, playing into the opponent's hands.

When Mankins is healthy, he's the best SOB on the line and makes a big difference in the running game and is good pass blocking too. Injuries the last two years have not helped his performance however.  Still, when healthy he's a top guard and a major plus for us.  Picking another tackle in the draft is fine, but the good ones tend to go fairly early (even RTs) and we don't have a lot of picks this year so using one early on a good tackle may prevent us from getting the good DB, DT, or WR we really need.  Still, if we're not signing Vollmer or anotther good free agent, drafting a tackle is fine with me.

Sections
Shortcuts