Eric Winston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Eric Winston

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I sense a lot of fans don't really appreciate how important the O line is.  Replacing Mankins and Vollmer with JAGs is not going to help this offense be more effective in a Super Bowl against a defensive front like San Francisco's.  

No you're right, it's just that you can't pay ten million on a guard and 6-7 million on a right tackle - especially when neither of these guys are left tackles - we will have to pay Solder someday too. How much can you spend on a line and have left over for the other positions on the team?

So don't replace them with JAGs, but with good players that maybe don't cost as much. I think Winston may be one of those guys, but who knows? We do have a great position coach and we also have a QB that gets rid of the ball quickly...maybe we don't have to shell out the money Vollmer is probably looking for? There was a time when everyone used to say Belichick will never draft an offensive lineman high - he will draft them low and develop them - I wouldn't be surprised if he starts going that route again...it's cheaper.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Vollmer is one of the best tackles in the game, let's not be so quick to shuttle him out of here... hopefully he signs a reasonable extension once he sees the market for tackles isn't what it used to be and many teams are replacing vets with draft picks.

The quicker strike passing attack means sacks are harder to come by and the premium on shut down tackles isn't what it used to be, the longer he's floating out there the more attractive the Pat's offer will look.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Vollmer is one of the best tackles in the game, let's not be so quick to shuttle him out of here... hopefully he signs a reasonable extension once he sees the market for tackles isn't what it used to be and many teams are replacing vets with draft picks.

The quicker strike passing attack means sacks are harder to come by and the premium on shut down tackles isn't what it used to be, the longer he's floating out there the more attractive the Pat's offer will look.

Hope you're right.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Chronic back issues make V a bad risk for a big money contract, Wozzy.  Let him walk and let's get real with Jake Long ex-Dolphin!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I sense a lot of fans don't really appreciate how important the O line is.  Replacing Mankins and Vollmer with JAGs is not going to help this offense be more effective in a Super Bowl against a defensive front like San Francisco's.  

No you're right, it's just that you can't pay ten million on a guard and 6-7 million on a right tackle - especially when neither of these guys are left tackles - we will have to pay Solder someday too. How much can you spend on a line and have left over for the other positions on the team?

So don't replace them with JAGs, but with good players that maybe don't cost as much. I think Winston may be one of those guys, but who knows? We do have a great position coach and we also have a QB that gets rid of the ball quickly...maybe we don't have to shell out the money Vollmer is probably looking for? There was a time when everyone used to say Belichick will never draft an offensive lineman high - he will draft them low and develop them - I wouldn't be surprised if he starts going that route again...it's cheaper.

By rough calculation, I'd guess the Pats could spend a maximum of about $25 million of their cap space on O line.  Solder, Connolly, Wendell, and the back ups are probably eating up around 8 or 9 million this year (I didn't look it up) and Mankins 10 million.  That probably leaves room for up to about 6 million on a RT.  Spending less of the cap on O line would be beneficial, but talent on the O line is critical and so you also don't want to be too cheap on O line.  We've got good savings at RB and LB, which should allow us to invest a bit more in O and D line, DBs, and receivers. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to BostonProSportsLover's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Cheaper alternative to Vollmer? Just got released by the Chiefs...29 years old...signed a 4 year 22 million dollar deal last year. The guy is 6'7" 300, plays right tackle in a zone blocking scheme, brought in by Pioli...pretty good and sought after player.

Got to think this guy can be had for less than Vollmer wants/may get.

plus i read today that his preferred destination is NEW ENGLAND. he wants to be a pat. plus, we have had success with recent KC linemen.. get it done.. no brainer, no back issues and CHEAPER.. ditto with wes, outta here. talib, thats the check you write!

"no back issues and CHEAPER.."

thats what i said.

love to know where i can read the article hiim wanting to be a pt. that's very cool.

what were you implying abotu talib? i couldnt make that out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

and by the way, if winston was cut becasue of spekaing out as a conscience to the fans of kc for cheeign cassels injury, thats the kind of guy i want on my team. all the more if he can do his job. and he comes at half the cost of vollmer.....take a look.

no one going to comment on this.

big deal to me.

as is having a conscience when you will  be punished (by fans, media, maybe the org) for doing so

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Wouldn't hurt to pick him up as a backup

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

and by the way, if winston was cut becasue of spekaing out as a conscience to the fans of kc for cheeign cassels injury, thats the kind of guy i want on my team. all the more if he can do his job. and he comes at half the cost of vollmer.....take a look.

Bingo

This team won SB's with RT's like Winston and Cannon, not pro-bowlers you don't need to spend 8-9m on one of those guys, 4-5m for a starter and good depth is fine

You need to spend 7-9 a year for 3-4 years on Welker and 5-7m a year on Talib and the Spikes extension and sign a guy like Goldson for top safety cash before giving money to Vollmer