ESPN AT IT AGAIN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

ESPN AT IT AGAIN

espn talking about trading down and not getting impact players.  Now there is some validity to this except for the fact that your assuming the talent drops drastically from pick 22 to 27 in round one and from pick the spots they moved in the 2nd rd which I can't remember.  Its not like they moved from the top of round one to the end of the second round, then you might have an arguement.

Also, can we forget about the trolls and just get back to talking about football.  I hate the panic button pushing patriot fans much more then the trolls.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Re: ESPN AT IT AGAIN

An impact player is in the eye of the beholder.  The Bryant issue I'm sure is the lead here.  Never mind about the issues Bryant has and if anybody would bother to read up on the guy he/she would understand why he's not a Patriot.

Bill said they had McCourty targeted all along.  Why he looked so special to the Pat brass I don't know.  There's a reason that the Pats front office only knows.  When said impact player comes along and they don't bite it means the player doesn't fit.

I do try to be cordial in reacting to posts I disagree with but the panic button crowd drives me nuts as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN AT IT AGAIN:
    An impact player is in the eye of the beholder.  The Bryant issue I'm sure is the lead here.  Never mind about the issues Bryant has and if anybody would bother to read up on the guy he/she would understand why he's not a Patriot. Bill said they had McCourty targeted all along.  Why he looked so special to the Pat brass I don't know.  There's a reason that the Pats front office only knows.  When said impact player comes along and they don't bite it means the player doesn't fit. I do try to be cordial in reacting to posts I disagree with but the panic button crowd drives me nuts as well.
    Posted by garytx

well said.   I just thought it was a silly article based on the fact nobody knows how any of these players will turn out and with a supposed 53 1st rd graded players in this years draft, impact is tough to call.  Gronkowski and spikes I'm willing to bet will be impact players for the patriots this year as well as zoltan mesko the punter. 

I understand the frustration of some fans we didn't get a 1st rd OLB or DE, but hey the dolpins, jets and ravens all passed on OLB's in the 1st rd as well as the pats. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccusson1122. Show ccusson1122's posts

we will have to wait about 2-3 years before we can make any "grades" on the draft ... end of story super excited though

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

They have a point but the Spikes and Hernancez picks make up for any passivity in the early part of the draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN AT IT AGAIN : What a coincidence. BB said they targeted the player they took?  That is what every other coach said.
    Posted by bjesuss

There's very little evidence here on the board to support any other conclusion than that you're an idiot, bjesuss, but I actually agree with this take.

What the hell else is he gonna say?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN AT IT AGAIN: These two guys are so overrated.
    They have a point but the Spikes and Hernancez picks make up for any passivity in the early part of the draft.
    Posted by jcappy

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ONE-TIME. Show ONE-TIME's posts

I for one , have been saying that this draft wasnt nearly as deep as everyone believes. And I also said that teams will lay off projected OLBs and what do you know , they did. In there wasnt one player taken w/ the intention of that player going to OLB. In fact I didnt like any of these guys  that much , especially in the first. I wouldnt mind if they grabbed Bowman in the 3/4 rd or even Selvie in the 6/7 rd , but I doesnt bother me that much. I swear for every 100 people that come on here only 3-4 have a real understanding/clue about football. Seriously how the f*ck could you watch us last year and think " man if we only had a pass rush we'd be set ". It wasnt like if we had a pass rush our CB's would be great. Butler regressed and gave up more plays than he made. I dont mind the Dev Mc pick at all and I hope Chung can come in this year and be a difference maker for us because we need big help at S as well. And it seemed like I was the only one screaming about the ILB position , well obviously I wasnt because of the Spikes pick. I love this pick and think he will be as good as McClain and will show everyone this year. Again I really think 99% of the people that come on here just listen to the TV machine/radio and repeat it like they actually know what their talking about. Again all I heard all off season was pas rush , pass rush , pass rush. Two minutes after the draft , wheres the pass rush , can you at least pretend to be an educated fan. Seriously my dog can tell me that we need a pass rush , there are plenty of other areas that this team has to improve upon. And we addressed a decent amount through the draft w/ guys that can come in this year and make a difference. The Pats will use Gronk/Hern as the weapons they are and this is huge because both guys are absolute studs. Can you imagine what 400-500 yards and 4-6 Tds from each will do for this O? Now these are big if's , but IF they both stay healthy , this means opposing teams cant use a S over the top consistantly because both guys will eat up CB's w/ their size and speed. Another position that I didnt hear anything about was the 5 technique. This position is extremely important , you can have all the OLBs you want , if we dont have a solid guy eating up blockers and along w/ Fork help collapse the pocket , the backers cant/wont be able to do their job. Hopefully ONE guy will emerge from training camp as "the guy" who we can depend on to play the 5 technique. I never liked the " committee approach" in any sport , in baseball you have closer by committee , in basketball you might have C or PG by committee , in football often times you'll see RB by committee and in religion often times you'll have wife by committee etc. Hopefully a Pryor , Wright , or Deaderick will step up for us , Weston needs to shed a couple pounds first and then maybe he might be able to step in and play DE. If not then we have another back-up for Fork.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN AT IT AGAIN : There's very little evidence here on the board to support any other conclusion than that you're an idiot, bjesuss, but I actually agree with this take. What the hell else is he gonna say?
    Posted by p-mike

I'd love to hear some GM say, "The guy we wanted was already gone so we figured 'screw it,' we'll trade down in the draft to get more picks, select some random guys, and hope for the best.  They weren't the highest graded guys on our board, but they're big names at positions that the media and fans think we need, so our hopes are high that people will be drawn into buying season tickets on the false hope that our subpar coach who's only here because the the coach we wanted didn't like our city will somehow make it all work."

And if I had to pick a GM to say those words, it would probably be whoever is in charge of Buffalo, especially now that Schwartz seems to be doing a respectable job in Detroit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

so let me get this straight...because ESPN didnt like the pats trading down to acquire what very well could become more "marginal" talent, its a put down?

really?

so basically the second espn doesnt brown nose the pats, they are against them? yeah ok

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Why bother paying attention to anything that comes out of the mouths of employees of the National Enquirer of Sports? They've picked their darlings for next NFL season ( think Jets ) and will fawn over them for the rest of the year.
    Personally I'm perfectly happy to have the Pats never mentioned by any ESPN hacks

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Why bother paying attention to anything that comes out of the mouths of employees of the National Enquirer of Sports? They've picked their darlings for next NFL season ( think Jets ) and will fawn over them for the rest of the year. Personally I'm perfectly happy to have the Pats never mentioned by any ESPN hacks
    Posted by Evil2010

very well said good sir...ESPN is a waste of good land in CT

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

One of the things that I always loved about Red Auerbach is that he was never afraid to show his emotions when things didn't go his way at the draft table.

He pounded the table HARD in 1977 when Ernie Grunfeld was taken one selection before the Celtics' pick--that didn't turn out too badly because Cedric Maxwell was there for the C's to take.

He also pounded the table HARD again, in 1983, when Roy Hinson was grabbed by Cleveland one pick before the C's pick--that didn't turn out so well (Greg Kite).

When BB says that McCourty was the guy they targeted all along, he either means he targeted him at #22 and figured he'd still be there later in the 20s, or he's full of it and he really wanted Greshem or some other guy that was plucked somewhere after the 15th pick.

Either way, as for the trading down arguments, pro and con, the one thing ESPN ignores is that those extra picks are currency. Yes, you can use them to move up and down the draft board, but you can also use them to trade for veterans. For instance, if some veteran pass rusher (fill in the blank name) is made available in August, BB now has two 2nd round picks in 2011 via that draft day trade with Carolina, which means he can now feel free to deal one of them to acquire that pass rusher (fill in the blank name), and still have a 2nd round pick in next year's draft.

I'm of the opinion that it's never a bad thing to have extra picks, especially in the first 3 to 4 rounds.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Translation: The Patriots didn't pick the Players that ESPN said they would so they must be stupid and this draft was a complete disaster. I know I'm a broken record but this why I choose to tune out. NFL Network rules both on TV and sirius radio, not to mention the NFL Redzone when the Pats aren't playing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

Bring back Red Auerbach, I say.   So refreshing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

When a coach comes out and says "we got the player we wanted" perhaps we should take it with a grain of salt.  And it does look kinda suspicious with Bill.  If you have graded out your talent and McCourty is your pick at 22 what makes you trade down?  Wouldn't one be worried about loosing that player?  If you say "we got the player we wanted" my thinking would be going after someone up in the draft instead of behind.  It would be a nice change and everyone would believe you when you said "we got the player we wanted".

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Translation: The Patriots didn't pick the Players that ESPN said they would so they must be stupid and this draft was a complete disaster. I know I'm a broken record but this why I choose to tune out. NFL Network rules both on TV and sirius radio, not to mention the NFL Redzone when the Pats aren't playing.
    Posted by ewhite1065

A lot of the teams didn't pick the players ESPN said they would. At one point I thought Kiper's head was going to explode. Someone forgot to tell all the 'experts' that only one of them had actually coached an NFL team or worked as a scout or in the front office.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Ya know, if any other coach was to say "we were targeting him all along" I'd be hestitant about believing him. But, with Bill? I think he actually meant it. C'mon guys, you know how Bill is with the media, he's very tight lipped. If he WASN'T being targeted, Bill would've said something completely different, so if he says "targeted" I think he close those words because that word best fit his thinking while speaking with the media. McCourty was graded at anywhere from 25-29 on the talent lists I've seen and not in the spotlight, so it makes sense to trade out of 22 and then again trading out of 24 or 25, and then picking just in front of the Jets who were looking for a CB. Don't get me wrong, even though I believe that BB was targeting McCourty, I'm also sure that he was targeting others as well and can promise you that if McCoy or McClain were available at 22, they would've been selected, it's just how the cards fell and BB got the player that they were targeting at that slot (without trading up and losing chips).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

When a coach comes out and says "we got the player we wanted" perhaps we should take it with a grain of salt.  And it does look kinda suspicious with Bill.  If you have graded out your talent and McCourty is your pick at 22 what makes you trade down?  Wouldn't one be worried about loosing that player?  If you say "we got the player we wanted" my thinking would be going after someone up in the draft instead of behind.  It would be a nice change and everyone would believe you when you said "we got the player we wanted".
    Posted by garytx

"If you have graded out your talent and McCourty is your pick at 22 what makes you trade down?"
    What makes you trade down is knowing you have him graded at 29 and he should be available at 29. Why take 29 talent at 22 when you can trade down and pick up more picks. In other words, they had him targeted at 29 and 22 would have been reaching so why waste the chips?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I'm guessing if the Pats had taken Spikes with their first pick and Mccourtney with their second then people would be happier even though the result would be the same.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

If anyone wants a SERIOUS take on the draft "grading" done by The Alphabet network, go no further than McShay and Kiper debating the merits of some picks. When it all boiled down, BOTH of them said at different times, that the picks were "good" (as in positional picks), just not they guy THEY felt should have been drafted, not the guy who was. I loved it when they both went appoplectic when Tebow went off the board.  I thoughtto myself, "instant bad grade". I was right. (See? I can do it too!) My favorite is when they spit all over themselves saying that a certaim player should not have been taken at the #28 pick in the 6th round,a s a better player was still on the board. Oh! With 36 draft slots left, we're going to try and show our collective self proclaimed genius by stating that Billie Ray is MUCH better than Bubba Jim in teh finazl 36 picks? Now, that's sit com stuff!

Pure soap opera stuff. I really need to hear their takes on where their favorite players were taken and by what teams. And to think that some folks actually live for this drivel.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

In Response to ESPN AT IT AGAIN:
    espn talking about trading down and not getting impact players.  Now there is some validity to this except for the fact that your assuming the talent drops drastically from pick 22 to 27 in round one and from pick the spots they moved in the 2nd rd which I can't remember.  Its not like they moved from the top of round one to the end of the second round, then you might have an arguement. Also, can we forget about the trolls and just get back to talking about football.  I hate the panic button pushing patriot fans much more then the trolls.
    Posted by hagen910

I put a cover on my panic button, so i'm good :) I think the picks are fine and we will see how things pan out. I was not on this board back when Tom Brady was drafted (i was a little busy in the Army at the time) but I wonder what the chatter was on him back then or was there any at all.

Go Pats!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN AT IT AGAIN: This is a great post and so true.
    If anyone wants a SERIOUS take on the draft "grading" done by The Alphabet network, go no further than McShay and Kiper debating the merits of some picks. When it all boiled down, BOTH of them said at different times, that the picks were "good" (as in positional picks), just not they guy THEY felt should have been drafted, not the guy who was. I loved it when they both went appoplectic when Tebow went off the board.  I thoughtto myself, "instant bad grade". I was right. (See? I can do it too!) My favorite is when they spit all over themselves saying that a certaim player should not have been taken at the #28 pick in the 6th round,a s a better player was still on the board. Oh! With 36 draft slots left, we're going to try and show our collective self proclaimed genius by stating that Billie Ray is MUCH better than Bubba Jim in teh finazl 36 picks? Now, that's sit com stuff! Pure soap opera stuff. I really need to hear their takes on where their favorite players were taken and by what teams. And to think that some folks actually live for this drivel.
    Posted by AZPAT

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN AT IT AGAIN:And traded a future HOF player to the Cards in round two with the 45 pick. Should have been our guy.
    In Response to Re: ESPN AT IT AGAIN : What is hard to believe about it?  If he had targeted Odrick, Kindle, Bryant or someone else the ESPN talking heads said they should take, he would have taken them instead of trading down.  Look at the 23rd pick and 25th and 26th pick.  Bulaga, Tebow and Williams is what he passed on at risk.  He could have taken Bryant at 22 - he did not want him.  By trading down, he passed on Bulaga.  He could have taken Bryant at 24, he traded down passing on him, Tebow, and Williams.  He picked the CB ahead of those other guys.  Seems perfectly rationale to me that he got who he wanted once they decided not to trade up. Speaking of that, he did trade up.  To get who he targeted in the second round. BB gets four top picks and masterfully extracts a third (Hernandez), and second third (traded for 2011 2nd rounder), and a 5th (Zoltan) and people complain.  Amazing.
    Posted by Encinitas

Sections
Shortcuts