ESPN Insider: Moss Trade Likely?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Re: ESPN Insider: Moss Trade Likely?

In Response to ESPN Insider: Moss Trade Likely?:
    I do not have the link since I'm not an Insider and I signed up once only to see that most of their stuff was crap. Still, they have a way of grabbing attention with their tiny little headlines. Anyone have the full text? What you guys think about Moss being traded? I say there's no chance as that would just infuriate Tommy Brady.
    Posted by apdynasty23

ESPN rumor mill is worth about 3 cents a year.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I don't think we would be able to get marshall straight up.  Marshall for Moss and a 2, maybe.  I would do it.  Marshall is a fricking beast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Insider: Moss Trade Likely?:
    Moss to Dallas is the rumor. This would fall in line with the idea the Pats are going back to the less predictable/run first offense that builds options and momentum as the season goes, v.s. the scattered, jittery offesne we have seen the last few years. It's either a deadly offense or ineffective against good Def Coordinators with good personnel on D. This would allow them to sign another quality FA and draft another WR to join Tate and Patten. If the idea is to move Moss to deepen the WR pool in camp with deeper quality within the system, I am for it.  I'll take 2 2nd rd picks, please.
    Posted by russgriswold

Exactly.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I don't think we would be able to get marshall straight up.  Marshall for Moss and a 2, maybe.  I would do it.  Marshall is a fricking beast.
    Posted by Davedsone

I would do that as well....in a heart-beat.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

What if Dallas offered Marion Barber straight up for Moss?
    I don't want to trade Moss but it is an interesting question considering Dallas has Multiple RB's.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Barber is probably My favorite running back to watch. He's a human Battering ram and yes you're on the Money with the Maroney connection. We could really really use a back similar to Barber.

Edit /> I wouldn't trade Moss for him either. If Dallas were looking to trade him we could use a good draft pick to aquire him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Think about it: If they deal Moss, it deepens the quality of the WR corps.  It gives them so time with a Tate to hopefully be the answer as the #2 flanker type, Patten as a #5 is very good just for his leadership and ability to know where to be/good hands, etc.  If Moss is dealt, say for 2 2nd rd picks, that allows them to use a total of FIVE 2nd rd picks either in the draft or use one or two to pry someone like TE Owen Daniels from Houston.   Brady needs a TE.  A quality one.  Add a great TE into a Welker/Edleman mix over the middle, and you are looking at red zone hell for defenses.   As great as Moss is, he and Welker provide a predictability teams can gameplan for too easily.   They can still address OLB, LCB, OT, RB, WR in the draft too.  But, they need an upgrade to the WR corps quality wise AND a true TE.  Every Hall of Fame QB has had a true Pro Bowl TE for the most part, except Brady.
    Posted by russgriswold

Isn't Owen Daniels a Free agent?  I thought that I saw that somewhere....

I would love to have him on the Pats....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

What if Dallas offered Marion Barber straight up for Moss? I don't want to trade Moss but it is an interesting question considering Dallas has Multiple RB's.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Why would the Patriots ever do that deal?  Marion Barber is perhaps the most overrated and overhyped running back in the game right now.  That and he isn't getting any younger.

I'm a huge fan of Moss and still think he has a lot left in the tank, but you know how the Patriots are with trades.  I think if a trade like this happens, it will end up being down the road a bit because the right offer has to come up first.  The earlier post of 2 2nd round picks is very interesting.  If he is dealt, I hope they have their eyes on another reciever to sign via free agency.  I don't want to see Moss dealt but I'd understand the Patriots mindset if they do (As long as they have a plan in place).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Insider: Moss Trade Likely? : Why would the Patriots ever do that deal?  Marion Barber is perhaps the most overrated and overhyped running back in the game right now.  That and he isn't getting any younger. I'm a huge fan of Moss and still think he has a lot left in the tank, but you know how the Patriots are with trades.  I think if a trade like this happens, it will end up being down the road a bit because the right offer has to come up first.  The earlier post of 2 2nd round picks is very interesting.  If he is dealt, I hope they have their eyes on another reciever to sign via free agency.  I don't want to see Moss dealt but I'd understand the Patriots mindset if they do (As long as they have a plan in place).
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

I just posed the question Dude and I couldn't disagree more with you about Barber.BTW Barber is 26 years old and has been able to split time with other backs. He's not even close to over rated. He averaged 4.4 yds a carry last year and had 7 TD's splitting time.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Insider: Moss Trade Likely? :   Yes, but he is restricted, as likely will be Sproles, so they need to offer compensation.  If they got 2 2nd rd picks for Moss (negotiated value) as an example, they may be able to use a high 2nd for one of these people.  Treat it like a draft pick.     Moss could give them more wiggle room to get a different style of WR in FA.  Someone who is more likely to run a crossing route and someone who is younger.   Moss is incredible and commands double teams, but that is also predictable for defenses.  They kept running the same kinds of plays in the red zone and I have no idea where Ben Watson disappeared to either.
    Posted by russgriswold

Yes, that is right...Owens is restricted.....so a trade would be in order.

I heard that SD may not tender Sproiles..he may be unrestricted.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

What is the rumor saying about the trade? 

What is Dallas willing to offer for Moss?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from clifford987. Show clifford987's posts

I hope so!  We need to get younger at this position and with his salary we could get Bouldon (spelling) not another couple of draft picks.  
    Now getting a running back in the draft can be done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkulacz. Show mkulacz's posts

I think Moss deserves to spend his last years in New Orleans. I love Moss, but I am sensing the magic between him and the Patriots is loss. Its nobody's fault, it just happens. Moss has been a great player for New England, if he wants to play somewhere else then his wish should be granted.

That leaves New England with Tom Brady, a relatively good OLine, Kevin Faulk at running back, and a recovering Wes Welker as a receiver. That isnt good enough to win a superbowl, thats for sure.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I'm finally starting to warm up to the fact that this team is rebuilding.  They have some solid veterans and solid young guys.  There might be a little more growing pains, but within the next two years this team will be a powerhouse again.  Thats only if BB and the boys make some good personel decisions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I'm finally starting to warm up to the fact that this team is rebuilding.  They have some solid veterans and solid young guys.  There might be a little more growing pains, but within the next two years this team will be a powerhouse again.  Thats only if BB and the boys make some good personel decisions.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

I wouold rather have a rebuilding Pats team and stay competitive than a rebuilding Detroit team....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Think about it: If they deal Moss, it deepens the quality of the WR corps...
    Posted by russgriswold

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand this logic.  Dealing one of the best receivers to ever play the game not only doesn't diminish the depth of the receiving corps, but it enhances it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

I think last years draft was solid.  You cant get everyone right, but Edelman, Volmer and Pryor.  Thats pretty good to me.  I also like Chung because he is very aggresive and I think that he will be a lot better this year with a season under his belt. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Yes, because the WR corps is top heavy and with Welker out, it's even more so top heavy....  You going to let Moss walk or panic and overpay to keep a 34 year old WR after 2010?  Sure about that?   Posted by russgriswold

I still don't get it, because no matter what they need a #1 WR and who is that going to be?  Edelman, Tate?  Some rookie?  Welker is a #2 when he's healthy, which he likely won't be until late this year, if at all, so count him out.  What you got left?  Rookies and maybes?  That's fine is you're going to punt 2010. 

But to answer your question, no I'd just keep Moss this year and let him walk or deal with it at the end of 2010.  Why move him now?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

ESPN Insider: Moss Trade Likely?

So basically... because we have a top end reciever we have no other options?

Having Moss is a GOOD THING, no matter what else is going on with the team! How does having Moss mean that we can't run the ball? Or toss it to another reciever? Or do trick plays? Or anything that we used to do on offense in the Superbowl era? 

The reason that we have been out of it for the last few years has nothing to do with Moss being on the team or not. Our offense was almost unbeatable 2 short years ago (until Brady got his leg hurt and the Giants trashed our OL). Our offense came together for an 11-5 season 1 year ago. last year we were 10-6 and only lost in the playoffs because of (and I hate to say this...) BRADY! Brady's turnovers cost us that game. They weren't turnovers caused by Moss or anyone else - wanna trade Brady? (that was sarcastic by the way) 

Brady needs to get his head back in the game. If he can't then we are in trouble and need to spend OAK's 2011 1st rounder on a QB. 

After Brady being better we need to get a #2 WR (if Tate or someone else currently on the roster is not the answer), then a pass rush so our CBs don't have to cover NFL quality WRs all day long and an OL that can make lanes for the RBs as well as protect Brady's a $$. This really means only 4-5 high impact players (1 WR, 2-3 OLB's/DE's, and 1-2 OL). 

Assuming that we can resign our players then we don't really NEED anything else to make a run at the Superbowl THIS year. Everything else would be to build for future years. And along there our biggest needs are OL and DL.

Getting rid of Moss (at this point) is just plain STUPID. He's arguably the top reciever or 2nd top reciever in the game! It's a very silly idea that has been blown up by the media (who always have something to talk about) - it's not a reality that makes any sense. The only way I see the pats giving up Moss to another team would be to trade him for 2 1st rounders. I just do not see it being worth it otherwise.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

So basically... because we have a top end reciever we have no other options? Having Moss is a GOOD THING, no matter what else is going on with the team! How does having Moss mean that we can't run the ball? Or toss it to another reciever? Or do trick plays? Or anything that we used to do on offense in the Superbowl era?  The reason that we have been out of it for the last few years has nothing to do with Moss being on the team or not. Our offense was almost unbeatable 2 short years ago (until Brady got his leg hurt and the Giants trashed our OL). Our offense came together for an 11-5 season 1 year ago. last year we were 10-6 and only lost in the playoffs because of (and I hate to say this...) BRADY! Brady's turnovers cost us that game. They weren't turnovers caused by Moss or anyone else - wanna trade Brady? (that was sarcastic by the way)  Brady needs to get his head back in the game. If he can't then we are in trouble and need to spend OAK's 2011 1st rounder on a QB.  After Brady being better we need to get a #2 WR (if Tate or someone else currently on the roster is not the answer), then a pass rush so our CBs don't have to cover NFL quality WRs all day long and an OL that can make lanes for the RBs as well as protect Brady's a $$. This really means only 4-5 high impact players (1 WR, 2-3 OLB's/DE's, and 1-2 OL).  Assuming that we can resign our players then we don't really NEED anything else to make a run at the Superbowl THIS year. Everything else would be to build for future years. And along there our biggest needs are OL and DL. Getting rid of Moss (at this point) is just plain STUPID. He's arguably the top reciever or 2nd top reciever in the game! It's a very silly idea that has been blown up by the media (who always have something to talk about) - it's not a reality that makes any sense. The only way I see the pats giving up Moss to another team would be to trade him for 2 1st rounders. I just do not see it being worth it otherwise.
    Posted by timesedge

The Brady Bashers and Haters like to point out that Brady is a product of the system. Since SB 42, that's been the case, but in a negative way. The Pats have built their offense around a passing attack at the expense of FBs, a true feature RB, and blocking TEs.

The result has been more INTs, more QB hits, and worst of all, the inability of the running game to sustain drives for the purpose of eating up the clock while having a lead. The Indy game was a prime example of this. The Pats were still in shotgun on third and 2, second and 2, and the infamous fourth and 2. The Pats must return to the balanced offensive attack they enjoyed when Weis was OC. WRs were never a premium and the Pats won 3 SBs without a single Pro Bowl WR.

The Pats have become a clone of the early 1990s Oilers. That team blew a 35-3 halftime lead in the 1993 playoffs, to the Bills backup QB. Why? Simply because they couldn't run the ball effectively when they had a lead.

Moss is expendable and he tanked the Carolina game. That's a big red light against keeping him. Maybe Dallas is just dumb enough to give 1st or 2nd for him. I hope!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Insider: Moss Trade Likely? :   How about Anquan Boldin?  Also, apparently, you are not getting the idea of having an improved running game, less predictable offense and an upgrade at TE.  I'd rather have a Curtis Martin/Ben Coates quality with a Faulk/Sproles duo, a rookie RB draft pick (say 3rd round), Owen Daniels and Anquan Boldin over Randy Moss.  But, that's just me.   In other words upgrade all 3 offensive positions v.s. keep Moss. Their red zone offense suffers because the offense is too one dimensional.   Moss was only dominant in 2007.  He had a good year this past year, but if they can capture 2 2nd rd picks, I don't see how you pass that up adding to your trading chips to improve the postion long term. A one year rental on Moss without bolstering the WR position further is pointless. I also don't like how Moss hints at wanting money either.  Comes across as selfish. He's  never going to play with anyone better than Brady, so I don't get what his point is. He should be taking a paycut hoping it helps to build a better team at his age.
    Posted by russgriswold

I like Anquan Boldin, fine #2 WR, although he's been breaking down a bit recently.  Sproles is a good change of pace backup RB and Owen Daniels, before he suffered his second ACL tear, was once a fine TE.  Last I checked, none of them are Patriots and not likely to be anytime soon, and Moss is.  And if they were all suddenly signed by New England and Moss was traded for draft picks, this offense would be significantly worse than it is right now. 

If you want to go back to 2006, when Brady looked to one side and saw journeyman possession guy Jabar Gaffney and on the other side saw the bug eyes of Reche Caldwell staring back at him, that's fine.  Just understand you're likely punting this season if you trade Moss away and try to replace him and Welker with x, y and z. 

This team set every offensive record known to man in 2007 and came within a freak play of going 19-0, and you don't want to go back to those days and that offense? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

So basically... because we have a top end reciever we have no other options? Having Moss is a GOOD THING, no matter what else is going on with the team! How does having Moss mean that we can't run the ball? Or toss it to another reciever? Or do trick plays? Or anything that we used to do on offense in the Superbowl era?  The reason that we have been out of it for the last few years has nothing to do with Moss being on the team or not. Our offense was almost unbeatable 2 short years ago (until Brady got his leg hurt and the Giants trashed our OL). Our offense came together for an 11-5 season 1 year ago. last year we were 10-6 and only lost in the playoffs because of (and I hate to say this...) BRADY! Brady's turnovers cost us that game. They weren't turnovers caused by Moss or anyone else - wanna trade Brady? (that was sarcastic by the way)  Brady needs to get his head back in the game. If he can't then we are in trouble and need to spend OAK's 2011 1st rounder on a QB.  After Brady being better we need to get a #2 WR (if Tate or someone else currently on the roster is not the answer), then a pass rush so our CBs don't have to cover NFL quality WRs all day long and an OL that can make lanes for the RBs as well as protect Brady's a $$. This really means only 4-5 high impact players (1 WR, 2-3 OLB's/DE's, and 1-2 OL).  Assuming that we can resign our players then we don't really NEED anything else to make a run at the Superbowl THIS year. Everything else would be to build for future years. And along there our biggest needs are OL and DL. Getting rid of Moss (at this point) is just plain STUPID. He's arguably the top reciever or 2nd top reciever in the game! It's a very silly idea that has been blown up by the media (who always have something to talk about) - it's not a reality that makes any sense. The only way I see the pats giving up Moss to another team would be to trade him for 2 1st rounders. I just do not see it being worth it otherwise.
    Posted by timesedge

I agree with you that getting rid of Moss isn't a good idea.
    Brady isn't the problem though its the line blocking.
    I saw on the Herald a mock draft that showed the Pats possibly taking an offensive lineman who had little power but was very quick and the writer noted that this type of player could negate the speed rushers who have been getting to Brady lately.
    If they can get him a little bit more protection Brady is as good as anyone but lets face it he's not going to scramble for his life and make many good plays with his arm or legs he's a pocket passer and needs some time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Insider: Moss Trade Likely? : I still don't get it, because no matter what they need a #1 WR and who is that going to be?  Edelman, Tate?  Some rookie?  Welker is a #2 when he's healthy, which he likely won't be until late this year, if at all, so count him out.  What you got left?  Rookies and maybes?  That's fine is you're going to punt 2010.  But to answer your question, no I'd just keep Moss this year and let him walk or deal with it at the end of 2010.  Why move him now?
    Posted by Muzwell

Why do you assume that there are no other options out there?  Free agency nor the draft has even started yet.....

Sections
Shortcuts