ESPN New York vs. ESPN Boston

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

ESPN New York vs. ESPN Boston

Johnette Howard penned this masterpiece:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/columns/story?columnist=howard_johnette&id=5078659

Good night, New England. It was a nice run while it lasted, right? Tom Brady likely got a Hall of Fame plaque and got Gisele Bundchen. Bill Belichick cemented his genius label and perfected the dead-fish handshake. The Patriots got a few championships. But it's over now. Done. Thanks for the memories. What the Giants started with their Super Bowl XLII upset of the Patriots' 18-0 team, another New York club -- the Jets -- is about to finish.

Whatever pretentions the Patriots have about even hanging on to their AFC East title ahead of the Jets, let alone contending for the AFC's Super Bowl berth this season, faded to black around midnight Sunday because of yet another offseason move the Jets made

Mike Reiss made an initial post on his blog before posting his full response:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4677130/what-jets-acquisition-means-for-pats

It all looks powerful on paper. 

Still, the Patriots thought they had an explosive team in 2009, only to find out how powerful the wrong mix of players in the locker room could be. It was a reminder that an explosive mix can work in two ways: It can spark a team to greater heights, or blow things up. Former Patriots Vice President of Player Personnel Scott Pioli used to have a saying on the board in his office reminding him that he was not collecting talent, but instead, building a team. 

So here we have two bitter rivals approaching the offseason with contrasting plans. 

The Jets are going for it with big names and players with off-field concerns which cost them little to acquire. The Patriots have focused on internal harmony and have loaded up on draft picks to refuel their draft-and-develop pipeline with an eye on sustained success over time. 

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5079542

This reminds me of something that former Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli used to say from time to time.

He said anyone can be a Super Bowl champion in March and April, but his goal was to build a team that would be there in December, January and February on a yearly basis. The point was that it's easy to make splashy moves at this time of year, and that many media members, and in turn fans, are easily swayed by the quick fix. We want the answers now.

But in the end, it is the totality of all offseason moves over time -- from both a short-term and long-term perspective -- that will ultimately tell the championship story on a year-to-year basis.

Pioli used to have a note written on the board in his Patriots office that reminded him that he wasn't collecting talent, but instead, building a team. That process is ever-evolving and requires a lot more than a few splashy, headline-grabbing moves in March and April.
    That's one reason conceding the AFC East to anyone on April 12 is a dubious proposition, especially when Tom Brady is the quarterback of the Patriots and Mark Sanchez is entering his second season with the Jets.
    If the season started today, the Patriots would be in a challenging spot. Thankfully for them, the season starts in early September.
    Pioli used to have a note written on the board in his Patriots office that reminded him that he wasn't collecting talent, but instead, building a team. That process is ever-evolving and requires a lot more than a few splashy, headline-grabbing moves in March and April.

We'll see.  I don't know if I can sit through 6 months of boring baseball, though.  I can't wait for the draft and football season!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: ESPN New York vs. ESPN Boston

If you're not afraid of the Jets you're looney. On paper they are are a pretty good unit. But we know the Pats are working on the draft. I won't pass judgement until I see them play some meaningful football --in september-- the same goes for the Jets. But now the Pats CANNOT waste a draft pick on a "project", we need studs that can help the team. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to ESPN New York vs. ESPN Boston:
    Johnette Howard

this guy is smoking some great hash

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Guess your great story didn't have much impact Johnette!!!  LMCLAO!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN New York vs. ESPN Boston:
      LMCLAO!
    Posted by NEGAME

I bet it is

Sections
Shortcuts