ESPN Power Rankings 2013-2014

1. Seahawks

2. 49'ers

3. Broncos

4. Falcons

5. Packers

6. Patriots

32. Jets - LOL!

and the rest can be seen here....  http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/0

Concerning the Patriots they say..  It was a typical, non-flashy draft for New England. The Patriots didn't get any immediate starters, but they didn't have many pressing needs. (Hensley)

I think Dobson will be an immediate starter.  As far as the Rankings go, I can't argue with being listed number 6 on the list going into this season.  Not sure I agree with the Bronco's being 3rd though.  And to be honest, as funny as it is I don't think the Jets are number 32.  I don't see the Browns, Jags, Raiders, Cards and Titans above them.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Re: ESPN Power Rankings 2013-2014

And so it begins. Broncos rated higher than Pats.  The rivarly is so ON!   I agree with top two.

Where and how far did the Ravens fall?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Concerning the Patriots they say..  It was a typical, non-flashy draft for New England. The Patriots didn't get any immediate starters, but they didn't have many pressing needs. (Hensley)

Mediocrity is never "pressing", if you've got the GOAT to back that up. Mediocrity just doesn't inspire confidence toward winning it all, GOAT or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to darwk's comment:

And so it begins. Broncos rated higher than Pats.  The rivarly is so ON!   I agree with top two.

Where and how far did the Ravens fall?

Ravens 8

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

1. Seahawks

2. 49'ers

3. Broncos

4. Falcons

5. Packers

6. Patriots

32. Jets - LOL!

and the rest can be seen here....  http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/0

I think Dobson will be an immediate starter.  As far as the Rankings go, I can't argue with being listed number 6 on the list going into this season.  Not sure I agree with the Bronco's being 3rd though.  And to be honest, as funny as it is I don't think the Jets are number 32.  I don't see the Browns, Jags, Raiders, Cards and Titans above them.

For some reason, I am expecting Boyce to play more snaps and get targeted more than Dobson.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Frankly I find most preseason rankings to be rather meaningless, but I will say that Seattle at 1 is laughable.  They need to prove they can win on the road.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

And honestly as much as I despite the Jets there is no way they are the worst team in the NFL.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Frankly I find most preseason rankings to be rather meaningless, but I will say that Seattle at 1 is laughable.  They need to prove they can win on the road.

now here we agree!

don't think a team that has won nothing and just recently turned the corner deserves to be ranked number one in anything-and i love watching russell wilson do his thing but he has to do it again...all things being equal witht this list's logic SF should be on top-at least they went to the SB

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2003/week/1

#6, just like 2003, I like it

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

1. Seahawks

2. 49'ers

3. Broncos

4. Falcons

5. Packers

6. Patriots

32. Jets - LOL!

For some reason, I am expecting Boyce to play more snaps and get targeted more than Dobson.

I doin't see it.  At 5'11" I see him more in an Amendola role and as long as Amendola is healthy he won't be playing over Danny.  I think Dobson, Jones, Edelman and Molassas Mike will be ahead of him.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Happy that the Seahawks and 49rs are in the same division and same conference.

Also happy they both play the Texans in the regular season...but sadly not the Broncos.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

No disrespect to TFB12 for posting them but I view rankings as interesting but totally meaningless.  We'll see where everone stands as the season progresses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Agree. It's clear these rankings are based off last year's records, tied to offseason moves and obviously, hype.

I still say a Pete Carroll team will never win a SB.  I just can't see it. Moron coach over a 16 game season and into the postseason. He's like a Pee Wee Herman version of Bill Cowher.

Bassie

If Pete Carroll is Pee Wee Herman, Pee Wee Herman has gotten very smart lately. Carroll has turned the Seahawk franchise around. He has come along way since his days the Jets. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

these are WEEKLY power rankings. They are not SB predictions. The order will change week over week. This week the order is predicated on who is back from last years team, and who was signed in free agency and drafted. If the Pats were to sign Abraham this week, it could effect their slot. If Seatle loses Wilson in the preseason, it will effect their slot...obviously in season, wins and losses will effect a teams slot. The weekly list is compiled by 5 people, Jamison simply posted the results

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Everyone looks great on "paper" and in "opinions".  We shall see when the season starts and in February of 2014.

PS - yes, out of the spring cave!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

1. Seahawks

2. 49'ers

3. Broncos

4. Falcons

5. Packers

6. Patriots

32. Jets - LOL!

I doin't see it.  At 5'11" I see him more in an Amendola role and as long as Amendola is healthy he won't be playing over Danny.  I think Dobson, Jones, Edelman and Molassas Mike will be ahead of him.

My bases for saying that are the youtube videos. As fans, those are the only film we can access for free. I try to stay away from the highlight-oritented videos, and focus more on the videos that show an individual's game vs certain teams they play during the season. It shows the good and the bad, and probably more representative of what the individual's overall game.

Here are the two videos I looked at.

Dobson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB7QRqAphso

Boyce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJMYsbs-x04

I am a student of the game, not an expert. Here's what my student eyes see (may be different from what you see)

Boyce gets better separation. IMHO, he does a better job of getting the DBs to bite at his feints, and finding where the seams are, than Dobson. Getting the defender to bite may have something to do with their running styles. Boyce has that more rapid leg pump. Dobson is a little bit more of a long strider. Boyce is able to make what looks to me as more abrupt cuts/breaks.

On these videos, Dobson showed more ability to win challenged balls and make difficult catches. He needs that ability, with the separation he gets.

They both can stretch the field - Dobson from a more traditional wideout position (split, flank); Boyce can stretch from all positions. Boyce, IMO, opinion is more difficult to defend because of what he can do from whichever spot (split, flank, slot). At the very least, he's more likely to be able to complement whichever other receivers are on the field.

Boyce also seems to show more YAC ability. His no Woods or Patterson, but has enough moves to make tacklers miss for an extra 5-10 yards hen he gets to space.

Boyce's number suffered a bit probably because his QB is inaccurate. The video shows a lot of throws to nowhere.

With his abilities, Dobson looks dangerous once you get in or even near the red zone. I only say that because I did not see Boyce have to win challenged balls on his video. I would not count him out though. He looks like he's built tough, and he can use his body well to shield the ball. 

With Boyce's versatility, I can see him playing more snaps if they go up-tempo, complementing Amendola.

Bottomline:

1) I am not saying Dobson was a bad pick. This is a nitpick to make a prediction of who'd play more snaps.

2) Regardless of everything I say here, we all know that the receiver who sees more success will be the one that builds the better chemistry with TB. We've seen a lot of WRs fail there. So after all is said and done, there is a good chance neither succeeds here.

3) I hope both receiver see success with TB

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

1. Seahawks

2. 49'ers

3. Broncos

4. Falcons

5. Packers

6. Patriots

32. Jets - LOL!

My bases for saying that are the youtube videos. As fans, those are the only film we can access for free. I try to stay away from the highlight-oritented videos, and focus more on the videos that show an individual's game vs certain teams they play during the season. It shows the good and the bad, and probably more representative of what the individual's overall game.

Dobson:

Boyce:

I am a student of the game, not an expert. Here's what my student eyes see (may be different from what you see)

Boyce gets better separation. IMHO, he does a better job of getting the DBs to bite at his feints, and finding where the seams are, than Dobson. Getting the defender to bite may have something to do with their running styles. Boyce has that more rapid leg pump. Dobson is a little bit more of a long strider. Boyce is able to make what looks to me as more abrupt cuts/breaks.

On these videos, Dobson showed more ability to win challenged balls and make difficult catches. He needs that ability, with the separation he gets.

They both can stretch the field - Dobson from a more traditional wideout position (split, flank); Boyce can stretch from all positions. Boyce, IMO, opinion is more difficult to defend because of what he can do from whichever spot (split, flank, slot). At the very least, he's more likely to be able to complement whichever other receivers are on the field.

Boyce also seems to show more YAC ability. His no Woods or Patterson, but has enough moves to make tacklers miss for an extra 5-10 yards hen he gets to space.

Boyce's number suffered a bit probably because his QB is inaccurate. The video shows a lot of throws to nowhere.

With his abilities, Dobson looks dangerous once you get in or even near the red zone. I only say that because I did not see Boyce have to win challenged balls on his video. I would not count him out though. He looks like he's built tough, and he can use his body well to shield the ball. 

With Boyce's versatility, I can see him playing more snaps if they go up-tempo, complementing Amendola.

Bottomline:

1) I am not saying Dobson was a bad pick. This is a nitpick to make a prediction of who'd play more snaps.

2) Regardless of everything I say here, we all know that the receiver who sees more success will be the one that builds the better chemistry with TB. We've seen a lot of WRs fail there. So after all is said and done, there is a good chance neither succeeds here.

be careful Pat. If you dare criticize this draft your run the risk of calledout for trolling Smile

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

be careful Pat. If you dare criticize this draft your run the risk of calledout for trolling Smile

I have deliberately been staying away from commenting on Harmon ;-)

In general though, I liked the picks. They were not my binkies, but they were decent.

I mocked Collins to NYG's second rnd pick - higher than 52. I had the Pats picking Alonso at 59. Alonso was taken before 52 and Collins was available. Effectively, it was swapping Alonso for Collins.

Also, I really like the LB they took in the seventh. His highlight youtube seems to show above average anticipation - where the holes develop on the run game and where the ball will be thrown on the pass game. If he's as good as he looks on his highlight youtube, Mayo may have upgraded competition. It's really a question of whether he can still have that anticipation at NFL speed.

You already know how I feel about the receivers. I even like the Moe pick.

If they had picked up a DT (whether the penetrating type or the NT type), I'd be ecstatic. Right now I am on the cautious optimism camp.

That said, if I get into a cranky mood this week, I might start going on that Harmon path and join  the "party"

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

1. Seahawks

2. 49'ers

3. Broncos

4. Falcons

5. Packers

6. Patriots

32. Jets - LOL!

Dobson:

Boyce:

Bottomline:

I watched alot of Boyce.  I live down here in Ft. Worth home of the TCU Horned Frogs.  Was pulling for him to get drafted by the Pats but really had no idea the Pats were interested.

Your analysis is pretty spot on.  This guy is fast and he's also a stout 5'11".  Big legs and very strong upper body.  Some people make out like at 5' 11" that he's a shrimp.  He' a big 5' 11".

And yes, he can line up all over the field, has good hands,  finds openings in the coverage and is clutch.  

He would have put up much better numbers if his QB (Trevone Boykin) didn't stink.  He will lose the starting job to the planned starter Casey Pachall who was suspended for a DWI last season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbruu. Show bredbruu's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

I have deliberately been staying away from commenting on Harmon ;-)

In general though, I liked the picks. They were not my binkies, but they were decent.

I mocked Collins to NYG's second rnd pick - higher than 52. I had the Pats picking Alonso at 59. Alonso was taken before 52 and Collins was available. Effectively, it was swapping Alonso for Collins.

Also, I really like the LB they took in the seventh. His highlight youtube seems to show above average anticipation - where the holes develop on the run game and where the ball will be thrown on the pass game. If he's as good as he looks on his highlight youtube, Mayo may have upgraded competition. It's really a question of whether he can still have that anticipation at NFL speed.

You already know how I feel about the receivers. I even like the Moe pick.

If they had picked up a DT (whether the penetrating type or the NT type), I'd be ecstatic. Right now I am on the cautious optimism camp.

That said, if I get into a cranky mood this week, I might start going on that Harmon path and join  the "party"

nice post sea

cept holding back analysis on harmon (all the talent available when we chose him).