ESPN (Shefter) v NLFN (Rapoport)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

ESPN (Shefter) v NLFN (Rapoport)

Just wanted to go back to the Browner signing, and remind everyone how these two were on opposite sides. 

The former local, non-d o u c h e Raporeport got it right. Had it right from the beginning in fact.

I bring this up now as a shining example of just how bad ESPN really does svck at life. So, when ESPN is championing another anti-Patriot witch hunt, I just shrug.

I honestly believe that ESPN is bad for sports. They are supposed to report the news, but often make themselves the news. They try to bury hockey as an entire sport because they have other interests that make them money. Unbiased? Not at ESPN. Truthful? Nope. Accountable? HAHAHAHAHAHA

I seriously have avoided ESPN for the past decade, and you know what? I don't miss a darn thing. And I cancelled my satellite in favor of Netflix/Amazon/HBOgo...so now they don't even get a cent from me. That makes me happy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: ESPN (Shefter) v NLFN (Rapoport)

You do understand the difference between entertainment and news, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

are you saying that Edmonton doesn't report sports news it's just entertainment ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Yes, ESPN is entertaining you ( and making money on you) 

the hook is sports, under the disguise of news and opinion

what is the difference between ESPN and Fox the O'reilly factor? Nothing other than the daily topics

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just wanted to go back to the Browner signing, and remind everyone how these two were on opposite sides. 

The former local, non-d o u c h e Raporeport got it right. Had it right from the beginning in fact.

I bring this up now as a shining example of just how bad ESPN really does svck at life. So, when ESPN is championing another anti-Patriot witch hunt, I just shrug.

I honestly believe that ESPN is bad for sports. They are supposed to report the news, but often make themselves the news. They try to bury hockey as an entire sport because they have other interests that make them money. Unbiased? Not at ESPN. Truthful? Nope. Accountable? HAHAHAHAHAHA

I seriously have avoided ESPN for the past decade, and you know what? I don't miss a darn thing. And I cancelled my satellite in favor of Netflix/Amazon/HBOgo...so now they don't even get a cent from me. That makes me happy.

[/QUOTE]

Not to get off the subject - although I am - but how is the "living without satelite/cable" thing going? A friend of mine tried that, he went with apple tv and purchased all the shows he watched and gave it a go...didn't work...now he has cable again. As for me I have Direct TV.

I seriously can't believe how much money I spend every month on TV, internet, cell phones, data plans, home phone, etc...it's got to be somewhere around $350 a month not including Netflix (11 bucks a month), On Demand movies (we might spend another $20 there), Redbox videos (another $10), and if we go to a movie maybe once a month it will cost me another $60 for a family of four. That's $450 bucks a month for electronic entertainment...sometimes more. So I'm spending somewhere around $5700 dollars a year on electronic fun (I forgot to throw in my son's xbox live account). Pretty hard to believe that 30 years ago my parents probably were spending $600 bucks a YEAR for electronic necessities.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not to get off the subject - although I am - but how is the "living without satelite/cable" thing going? A friend of mine tried that, he went with apple tv and purchased all the shows he watched and gave it a go...didn't work...now he has cable again. As for me I have Direct TV.

I seriously can't believe how much money I spend every month on TV, internet, cell phones, data plans, home phone, etc...it's got to be somewhere around $350 a month not including Netflix (11 bucks a month), On Demand movies (we might spend another $20 there), Redbox videos (another $10), and if we go to a movie maybe once a month it will cost me another $60 for a family of four. That's $450 bucks a month for electronic entertainment...sometimes more. So I'm spending somewhere around $5700 dollars a year on electronic fun (I forgot to throw in my son's xbox live account). Pretty hard to believe that 30 years ago my parents probably were spending $600 bucks a YEAR for electronic necessities.

[/QUOTE]

My satellite, alone, was 118 a month at the time of cancellation.

I don't miss it. To be honest, the first few days were weird. For instance, I'd sit down to eat, and the desire to just have SOMETHING on tv was undeniable. It lasted about 2 days. Very odd. I find I do almost no brainless watching now. If I want to watch something, I go to one of the shows I am in the process of watching (Breaking bad season 4, Stargate atlantis season 5 currently). There are a LOT of shows over the past 6 years or so that I have not watched, so it works.

I watch 0 commercials now. Come NFL season, I'll have to illegally stream, or figure out an NFL.com package that works. Last year I got the online component as part of a madden deal, and it was awesome. Slightly laggy, but I assume it's getting better.

I have a chromecast as well, which is great for the illegal streaming sites.

By changing the house phone and cell plan as well, me and the better half saved around 200/month without giving up any real service that we want. Same internet, ATT DSL at 6/mbps, which does the job for multiple streaming at the same time, and console gaming.

I would recommend amazon prime. If I had to choose that or netflix, I'd go amazon...but I have both. Amazon prime keeps adding more services and getting better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I just finished watching the 25 Zatoichi movies on Hulu.com. Excellent!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I do. I don't think ESPN does. "ESPN - The Worldwide Leader in Sports". There words, not mine.

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. (P should equal propaganda). 

I understand they do both, but they pass themselves off as a sports NEWS outlet, and that is not true. Or, perhaps it is true, it's just that they have a very undeniable agenda.

They tried to create an entirely new stat in football, and use their standing to push something that nobody wants.

They BURIED their coverage the NHL finals which are the BEST playoffs or tourney in any sport. They almost ignored it entirely. I honestly believe they pay Barry Melrose just so he doesn't go work anywhere else where he could actually promote the sport.

They should just abandon any pretense of being any kind of news outlet and just be a sports-based TMZ clone. That's more fitting for them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Check out Game of Thrones. You can watch on Couch Tuner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I assume they show what gets ratings.  If they ignore hockey, it's probably because their audience doesn't care that much about hockey.  TSN, the Canadian affiliate (partially owned by ESPN and broadcasting very similar and often the same content) airs hockey news all the god-damn time. I think ESPN does a good job broadcasting actual sporting events.  Sports Center (Sports Centre here in Canada) is fine headline sports news, though I rarely watch it.  The opinion shows I also rarely watch (preferring NFL Network), but don't take them too seriously anyway.  They are just opinion after all.  I think their website is decent . . . and I do read Mike Reiss's Patriots Blog on ESPN Boston religiously: best Patriots news anywhere. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I assume they show what gets ratings.  If they ignore hockey, it's probably because their audience doesn't care that much about hockey.  TSN, the Canadian affiliate (partially owned by ESPN and broadcasting very similar and often the same content) airs hockey news all the god-damn time. I think ESPN does a good job broadcasting actual sporting events.  Sports Center (Sports Centre here in Canada) is fine headline sports news, though I rarely watch it.  The opinion shows I also rarely watch (preferring NFL Network), but don't take them too seriously anyway.  They are just opinion after all.  I think their website is decent . . . and I do read Mike Reiss's Patriots Blog on ESPN Boston religiously: best Patriots news anywhere. 

[/QUOTE]

That's the thing Pro....the is so much content, just don't watch or read what you don't like. There is PLENTY to like otherwise. Reiss, Yates, Law, Ford, Schefty, Thorpe, Olney and on and on.

so you don't like Stew Scott. Turn off the TV or give up cable. But to denigrate the entire empire is silly, there is just too much good stuff available.

Ma6 or what ever his name is, certainly is entitled but c'mon, he is the minority out there

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]

Yes, ESPN is entertaining you ( and making money on you) 

the hook is sports, under the disguise of news and opinion

what is the difference between ESPN and Fox the O'reilly factor? Nothing other than the daily topics

KARP

Thanks for your honesty about ESPN and the media overall.

The search for Truth continues...

[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just finished watching the 25 Zatoichi movies on Hulu.com. Excellent!

[/QUOTE]

Good God, so did I. On Amazon. My wife thinks I have a screw loose. But watching that blind swordsman/masseur/samurai/yakuza is addictive.

Nice to know I am not the only addict.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

ESPN will do whatever gets them the ratings, and I don't blame them for that. If they've managed to stay strong for this long, then they're doing something right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to teegee's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Check out Game of Thrones. You can watch on Couch Tuner.

[/QUOTE]

A family member shares HBOgo with me. I WILL watch it, at some point. But, like Breaking Bad, I'll wait until it's over and watch it through at my leisure and not be stuck with between-season breaks! 

Lost showed me the sense in doing this. I watched most of it on disc, and caught up about 6 episodes from the end of the 2nd to last season. So I was watching freakin LOST with no breaks...then had to go week-to-week. Then had to suffer through the offseason. All while dealing with commercials. "Never again" I said. Also, it saves me from getting sucked into a show like Dresden Files or SG-U that gets cancelled -_-. Also, from shows like Heroes that start out with such promise, get diluted until they barely resemble themselves, and THEN get cancelled.

I am aware of the Zatoichi series...I just haven't gotten into it. I know I like that genre. "The Man with the Iron Fists" was a surprisingly good movie. 

There are so many shows that I have heard, and know many good things about but haven't seen. I don't watch the news. The only things I really miss are some decent geeky things - history channel, science channel, H2, Discovery, etc. There are some comparable in Amazon/Netflix, but most are older. THe girlfriend and I shared the entire run of How I Met Your Mother. I had never watched any...oh my GOD! NPH is a hilarious guy, and knowing he's gay in real life makes Barney Stinson one of the most hilarious characters I've seen in any form of entertainment in a while.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I assume your assumption is correct. And isn't that kind of telling...

Mike Reiss is undeniably fantastic. They do have a few people I respect, Michael Smith and Jackie MacMullen as well. They are far outnumbered, and outshined by the "talent" ESPN pushes so hard like Balless.

To be fair, my criticisms are somewhat dated now as I have been a card carrying ESPN HATER for a decade now, and don't even look at their outlets. My buddy gets text alerts from ESPN with breaking news. He shares it with me, I almost always respond "F... ESPN." We share a laugh. I spend a lot of my day driving and listening to WEEI, I often let him know new info before he gets the text, and I rip ESPN when I do. Hahahaha. Yes, it's a me issue largely. Their misreporting and total lack of accountability I find absolutely disgusting. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good post, and I am right there with you.  It's crazy when you break it down and really think about it like that.  Now add on the Sunday ticket package ($55 x 6 months) for football to that and it just blows the mind how much is being spent monthly/yearly on electronic entertainment.  Hopefully I can negotiate another sweet deal for the Sunday ticket package this season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

How dare you be honest, observant and intelligent? lol

I've warned for years and many call this a "conspiracy" or needing to wear a "tin foil hat" to see it.  Morons.

In fact, I'll go one further: I predicted here that the superb Schefter would be corrupted by the ESPN mandates of how their employees need to be and what they say. I was right again.

Rapoport is superb at NFLN but if he sold out and went to ESPN, he'd suffer the same pathetic fate as Schefter.

Do not believe RKrap either...ESPN tells their employees what to do and say. I know someone who worked there and did some contract work for them who also worked on some XGames stuff and later, the Olympics.

They have a very poor reputation for good reason. They're basically the National Enquirer of sports reporting.

Love Willie on NFLN and really dislike Tedy selling out on ESPN. I cringe every time Tedy opens his yap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Isn't all television about ratings, news, entertainment, whatever?  If people don't watch, then changes are made.

And I too spend entirely too much $$ on all of the 'connectivity' that I have.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

They should just abandon any pretense of being any kind of news outlet and just be a sports-based TMZ clone. That's more fitting for them.

[/QUOTE]

SportsCenter is Entertainment Tonight for sports, superficial and sensational. I literally haven't watched it for years. Don't really ever watch ESPN except for live football games and a few other things here and there, like those 30 for 30 shows that are pretty good. Oh golf, when they have early round coverage of a major.

I used to watch it quite a bit, but it's all glitz and hype now. But, it's a broad appeal cash cow, so I'm sure they aren't missing me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Isn't all television about ratings, news, entertainment, whatever?  If people don't watch, then changes are made.

And I too spend entirely too much $$ on all of the 'connectivity' that I have.

[/QUOTE]

And then there's the cost of all those devices you're connecting: computers, phones, tablets, TVs . . .  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I rarely watch anymore and I used to be hardcore. I even used to like Felger! Now I watch movies.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

Good God, so did I. On Amazon. My wife thinks I have a screw loose. But watching that blind swordsman/masseur/samurai/yakuza is addictive.

Nice to know I am not the only addict.

Lol! No, you're not alone. I can't get enough. There was also a Zatoichi TV series which I found on youtube.

If you haven't already, check out the Lone Wolf and Cub series of movies starring Shintaro Katsu's brother.