ESPN top 25 free agency rankings, 3 Pats in top 10

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Re: ESPN top 25 free agency rankings, 3 Pats in top 10

Throw the franchise tag on Vollmer. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8746362/nfl-top-25-free-agents-most-market-value-line-headed-season-final-stretch

#5 - Welker

#7 - Talib

#10 - Vollmer

5-6 more games like the last 3 and the Pats MUST keep Talib. If Welker is allowed to walk it better be b/c he got 8+ million per for 4+ years and we have a backup plan like Amendola at half the $ and not just banking on Edelman.

Can we trust Vollmer to be healthy like he was this season for 3-4 more or will it be '11 again? Basically last year was a washout where he was healthy for like 6 games and finally showed up again for the super bowl and was terrible.

rame where you been, ive missed our thoughtfull and intelligent conversations about patriot football.

i have been posing the same questions with others on the draft thread about bb deciding if vollmers back will hinder his play and games palyed through his career or not.

before talib arrived in n.e., i hoped we go to man wiht dennard and talib and get more agressive with the de. to my pleasant astonishment, we have doen so and the de looks in rare form and i believe, with health, could also improve. after talibs 1st game, i hoped and would have attempted to extend talib while he was happy to jsut be in the laegue still, never mind with a supe rbowl team. i said then if we let him show how good and valuable he can be, he might get self confident and feel he should go make top money wherever the top $ is.

re welker started a couple threads the past couple weeks. did you see last week, bb having a lot of leverage to get welker to come down in his demands (hall of fame if he stays and continues same for another 3 years, yearly sb contention,. staying with his buddy and on the field connector brady, not having to start to create somenting all over again, etc.). id liek to offer him 5 years 2 guaranteed (keep him as long as he stays in top form) around 6 or up to 7 per.

talib may be the most important of the 3 (least replaceable) though i want a behavior based adn gaems played based contract 4 years, team option for 5.

though if we wave bye to vollmer i wonder if we get long for right tackle.

and woudl have to replace welker if he left. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8746362/nfl-top-25-free-agents-most-market-value-line-headed-season-final-stretch

#5 - Welker

#7 - Talib

#10 - Vollmer

5-6 more games like the last 3 and the Pats MUST keep Talib. If Welker is allowed to walk it better be b/c he got 8+ million per for 4+ years and we have a backup plan like Amendola at half the $ and not just banking on Edelman.

Can we trust Vollmer to be healthy like he was this season for 3-4 more or will it be '11 again? Basically last year was a washout where he was healthy for like 6 games and finally showed up again for the super bowl and was terrible.

we need a starting safety opposite mccourty in free agency. 

i would be on the phone to byrd and goldson, see who might want to be a patritot for less than top dollar (but still good money). our secondary starters woudl be set with talib, dennard at corner; mcc and gholson/bird at safety.

pickup a wilfork 2.0, a jones 2.0 and a dominant c/g and we are set. 

(after resigning welker and vollmer [or repacing him if back is going ot be a career issue])

in the 7th rd or in udfa, we need a tall outside wr who can get separation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I'd love to weaken the Bills by taking Byrd and Levitre away from them... replace Chung with Byrd (big upgrade) making the Byrd/McCourty duo likely the best cover safety combo in the game.

Levitre would be that rock at LG we've been looking for since Waters left...and practically every year but the one we had Waters. Connolly would move back to C and a bu guard and the draft could be spent on other needs, not the O-line (assuming Vollmer stays or is replaced in FA).

were thinking the same on byrd.

your o line move removes one of my draft needs 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Patsman3's comment:

hey patsman,

resign welker, contract talib, and i would prefer a cheaper per year contract than the tag, but if necessary, yes tag vollmer. anothe year to see if his health holds up and if not,. draft a tackle a year from this april.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

That makes a lot of sense. This team just worked around a 1 year franchise of Welker for around 9.5 million. To franchise an O-lineman its around that, prob closer to 8-9. Welker would be up around 11 to franchise 2 years in a row and Talib will cost over 10 when a long-term deal around 6-7 per year (maybe just 3-4m in '13) could be worked out.

Make Vollmer stay healthy for 2 years in a row, then decide what to do. He is also very old for the years he has been in the league, 28 already. He will be 29 after a year of playing on the tag, Mankins was 29 when he signed his extension and the 6/51 with 20m guaranteed is likely what Vollmer would command with 2 strong seasons in a row. 

"Make Vollmer stay healthy for 2 years in a row, then decide what to do."

as usual we are on the same wavelength.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

hey patsman,

resign welker, contract talib, and i would prefer a cheaper per year contract than the tag, but if necessary, yes tag vollmer. anothe year to see if his health holds up and if not,. draft a tackle a year from this april.

Well you know there gonna tag someone, they do every year.  Not sure but can teams actually tag two people now.  I am completley clueless on what the market will be for Talib.  I mean pretty much no one wanted him when the Pats picked him up.  He still carries that off-the field baggage with him. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

That makes a lot of sense. This team just worked around a 1 year franchise of Welker for around 9.5 million. To franchise an O-lineman its around that, prob closer to 8-9. Welker would be up around 11 to franchise 2 years in a row and Talib will cost over 10 when a long-term deal around 6-7 per year (maybe just 3-4m in '13) could be worked out.

Make Vollmer stay healthy for 2 years in a row, then decide what to do. He is also very old for the years he has been in the league, 28 already. He will be 29 after a year of playing on the tag, Mankins was 29 when he signed his extension and the 6/51 with 20m guaranteed is likely what Vollmer would command with 2 strong seasons in a row. 

Exactly. Make Vollmer stay healthy two years in a row (or at least see if he can). Vollmer is the Devil you know - they get to see him practice, they see him in the training roon, they know the situation injury wise with him...safest bet either way they go.

Welker is a touchy subject, on one hand how do you replace 120 catches? On the other, how do pay a guy that is going to be 32 long term at huge dollars? You really can't, I don't think they will. If they were willing to do that they would of done it last year. I've got to think they feel like Edelman will give them something (although I think he is an injury waiting to happen), plus they have two tight ends that can give you things in the same general area Welker does. They could always pay another guy a lot less money to play the slot or they could draft  a wideout in the first three rounds. Christ! They can resign Salas this off season and hope he can give you 60 catches. I love Welker and I seriously would love to see him get 120 catches a year for the next five years, but it's not going to happen (and it sure won't happen anywhere else either).    

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Again, like in most years, the best free agents available are our own; sign or extend all three.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Hopefully we can get Talib at a good price but Vollmer and Welker are probable going to cost top dollar.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

hey patsman,

Well you know there gonna tag someone, they do every year.  Not sure but can teams actually tag two people now.  I am completley clueless on what the market will be for Talib.  I mean pretty much no one wanted him when the Pats picked him up.  He still carries that off-the field baggage with him. 

if he kills it rest of year like he has, big market.

you can have behavior clause in his c=ontrat to get out of if you need to.

1 tag.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

If vollmer is healthy and that is a big IF he needs to be priority #1. You build teams with a QB then from the inside out.

i ay talib is #1

vollmer only if his back is not a weekly issue #2

we can always draft or get fa tackle.

a cb to do what talib is doing, our drafty track record is horrendous.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Exactly. Make Vollmer stay healthy two years in a row (or at least see if he can). Vollmer is the Devil you know - they get to see him practice, they see him in the training roon, they know the situation injury wise with him...safest bet either way they go.

Welker is a touchy subject, on one hand how do you replace 120 catches? On the other, how do pay a guy that is going to be 32 long term at huge dollars? You really can't, I don't think they will. If they were willing to do that they would of done it last year. I've got to think they feel like Edelman will give them something (although I think he is an injury waiting to happen), plus they have two tight ends that can give you things in the same general area Welker does. They could always pay another guy a lot less money to play the slot or they could draft  a wideout in the first three rounds. Christ! They can resign Salas this off season and hope he can give you 60 catches. I love Welker and I seriously would love to see him get 120 catches a year for the next five years, but it's not going to happen (and it sure won't happen anywhere else either).    

this team has proven without welker this year it stalls.

i was willing to replace and walk aaway in offseason if wes ddint come way down in demands. 

after this year, i say you use the bargaining power we have to get something reasonable with only a coupl eyears guaranteed,

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

Hmm. I don't see any of the mass array of Jets FAs on this list. Wonder why?

Jets only have two talented players on their roster, Mangold and Revis. JetMangione was warned but he didn't listen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I say we lock up Talib, ASAP!!! Best CB we've had since Ty Law. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

hey patsman,

The Patriots traded for him. Not like he was on the waiver wire or a FA

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

#5 - Welker

#7 - Talib

#10 - Vollmer

You make valid points but I never concern myself with how the Pats conduct their business.

Knowing full well they will field a team expected to play on SBS.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

<br/><a href="http://oi45.tinypic.com/11twy6b.jpg" target="_blank">View Raw Image</a>

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

What about Ed Reed on a 2 year

deal.

I like DE Bennett, OT Albert.

That would be a big upgrade.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to looneyman's comment:

What about Ed Reed on a 2 year

deal.

I like DE Bennett, OT Albert.

That would be a big upgrade.

Reed can't stay on the field and has lost a step. Wallace would be a great fit, if the Pats lose Welker. The guy has great speed, and the ability to catch balls all over the field. Not sure he  can match Welkers productivity, but would it be fun watching him with Brady and open up the passing game even more. The two could end up changing uniforms. Jennings would be a good fit as well. Talib is a priority.

Sections
Shortcuts