ESPN top 25 free agency rankings, 3 Pats in top 10

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: ESPN top 25 free agency rankings, 3 Pats in top 10

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8746362/nfl-top-25-free-agents-most-market-value-line-headed-season-final-stretch

#5 - Welker

#7 - Talib

#10 - Vollmer

5-6 more games like the last 3 and the Pats MUST keep Talib. If Welker is allowed to walk it better be b/c he got 8+ million per for 4+ years and we have a backup plan like Amendola at half the $ and not just banking on Edelman.

Can we trust Vollmer to be healthy like he was this season for 3-4 more or will it be '11 again? Basically last year was a washout where he was healthy for like 6 games and finally showed up again for the super bowl and was terrible.

[/QUOTE]

rame where you been, ive missed our thoughtfull and intelligent conversations about patriot football.

i have been posing the same questions with others on the draft thread about bb deciding if vollmers back will hinder his play and games palyed through his career or not.

before talib arrived in n.e., i hoped we go to man wiht dennard and talib and get more agressive with the de. to my pleasant astonishment, we have doen so and the de looks in rare form and i believe, with health, could also improve. after talibs 1st game, i hoped and would have attempted to extend talib while he was happy to jsut be in the laegue still, never mind with a supe rbowl team. i said then if we let him show how good and valuable he can be, he might get self confident and feel he should go make top money wherever the top $ is.

re welker started a couple threads the past couple weeks. did you see last week, bb having a lot of leverage to get welker to come down in his demands (hall of fame if he stays and continues same for another 3 years, yearly sb contention,. staying with his buddy and on the field connector brady, not having to start to create somenting all over again, etc.). id liek to offer him 5 years 2 guaranteed (keep him as long as he stays in top form) around 6 or up to 7 per.

talib may be the most important of the 3 (least replaceable) though i want a behavior based adn gaems played based contract 4 years, team option for 5.

though if we wave bye to vollmer i wonder if we get long for right tackle.

and woudl have to replace welker if he left. 

[/QUOTE]

Hey Bred, awesome stuff, I've been busy as always, can't believe it took me this long to get back to my thread.

Anyhow, tough loss Sunday night but it didn't make me too worried overall, ball protection is obv. a big issue, Brady hopefully won't throw picks when Gronk spreads things out and the stake's are higher in the playoffs.

I'm right there with you on our FA's. Welker should be given 5 years at 30-35 million with like 15 in signing bonus $. Other than the 1 freak knee injury he has been very durable. A guy like Stokley is still bringing it at age 36-37, Welker has 2 more years of catching 85-105 in him for sure, maybe it is our system but traditionally that is worth 7m+ for sure. After that he could re-work his deal if needed but he will at least be a guy catching you 3-4 a game, getting you a clutch 1st down, etc. Like Branch was last year. They gotta keep him.

Talib had a rough game vs. the 49ers but has been a much needed addition overall. I think it will be a case of the Pats having such a big need and him being grateful for the opportunity and playing for a winner that wanted him that they will come together on something rather quickly.

If the Pats don't sign Vollmer I hope it is b/c they have the inside scoop on his injuries and its just too risky. In that case a guy like Long or Clady taking over at LT and letting the cheaper Solder play RT and also slide to TE/6th lineman duty for some insane blocking scheme's would be pretty awesome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would love to bring Goldson here, a Safety with an attitude. Something we needed here for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

The inability to sign him last offseason was a real shame and an absolute backbreaking decision that killed us all season. We had him in for a visit and the $ to spend after cutting Merri and Sanders, so not getting him locked into a deal was a brutal blow.

He really showed me Sunday that he provides intimidation and is always aggressive and around the ball. Byrd might make a few more picks and be a bit more fundamentally sound... but Goldson is certainly 1B when it comes to  which safety to sign. As long as we don't have a glaring hole at tackle I would put adding a safety next to McCourty as the #1 priority in free agency.

Go get him!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8746362/nfl-top-25-free-agents-most-market-value-line-headed-season-final-stretch

#5 - Welker

#7 - Talib

#10 - Vollmer

5-6 more games like the last 3 and the Pats MUST keep Talib. If Welker is allowed to walk it better be b/c he got 8+ million per for 4+ years and we have a backup plan like Amendola at half the $ and not just banking on Edelman.

Can we trust Vollmer to be healthy like he was this season for 3-4 more or will it be '11 again? Basically last year was a washout where he was healthy for like 6 games and finally showed up again for the super bowl and was terrible.

[/QUOTE]

You make valid points but I never concern myself with how the Pats conduct their business.

Knowing full well they will field a team expected to play on SBS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

<br/><a href="http://oi45.tinypic.com/11twy6b.jpg" target="_blank">View Raw Image</a>

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What about signing a deep threat like Wallace?

Hartline seems like the type of upside low cost WR this team would take a stab at

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

What about Ed Reed on a 2 year

deal.

I like DE Bennett, OT Albert.

That would be a big upgrade.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In response to looneyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What about Ed Reed on a 2 year

deal.

I like DE Bennett, OT Albert.

That would be a big upgrade.

[/QUOTE]

Reed can't stay on the field and has lost a step. Wallace would be a great fit, if the Pats lose Welker. The guy has great speed, and the ability to catch balls all over the field. Not sure he  can match Welkers productivity, but would it be fun watching him with Brady and open up the passing game even more. The two could end up changing uniforms. Jennings would be a good fit as well. Talib is a priority.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Reed is probably going to retire a Raven, but as far as angering a fan base and rival and adding a veteran winner I'd like the move.

Reed splitting time at SS with Chung, who we try to get something out of, would be ok at around the same cost as signing one elite guy like Byrd or Goldson.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Bennett would be awesome, esp as we are clearly remaining more of a 4-3 team with Jones a pure DE we shouldn't ever attempt to turn into an OLB and Wilfork being better used as a DT as he ages.

Bennett will play most of next season at age 27, is improving each year and hits like a ton of bricks. Would love him opposite Jones with some Nink mixed in (mainly rushing plays). I'd been thinking of Osi for that role, but unless he gets north of 25 million Bennett would be better and a long-term solution.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Branden Albert is in the same position as Vollmer it sounds like (back concerns) we know our guys issue best of course, so the only way I would want him over Vollmer is if we really knew that Sebastian's injuries will linger for years or if he was MUCH cheaper. I'd rather go for broke with Long or Clady being given 50-65 million than giving a slightly lesser talent and injury concern 25-40.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Byrd - 6/36

Levitre  - 5/30

Bennett - 5/25

Would be an awesome free agency, after keeping Welker (5/30), Talib (5/25) and Vollmer (franchise or like 2/15, prove he can stay healthy).

Then draft a DT, WR and CB or speedy 4-3 LB'er

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I simply have a hard time seeing Flacco and Wallace as #'s 1 and 2. I am hard pressed to see any team giving Flacco big money...and I dont think the Ravens are a lock to sign him to big money either.

Wallace was a major disappointment this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I mentioned the article was top free agents 'with the most to prove' the rest of this seaosn... not a talent list or money list

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

I mentioned the article was top free agents 'with the most to prove' the rest of this seaosn... not a talent list or money list

[/QUOTE]

Well hell, then Welker should be at the Bottom.  I think he has proved all he needs to prove.  100 receptions 5x, ahead of Jerry Rice!!  Mother F'ing WOW!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

Random thoughts :

Goldson is going to want big bucks

( He turned down multi-year offers from multiple teams and instead went back to SF on a one year contract in order to show his stuff ... which everyone now agrees is top shelf. )

Chung is a dead man walking ( Pats -wise )

I think BB thinks he's plateaued  , next year Chung will have to play for near vet min. to even have a chance to make the team.

Vollmer's value is immense . ( when healthy... obviously )

It's ez to forget the stellar job he did at LT his rookie year when Light went down .

Hard to put a price tag on a guy that can play both ends of the line at a high level .

Tag and See = likely the way to go .

( Though his versatility might make him worthy of risking a longer contract )

Vollmer might just be inclined to stay fairly cheap do to his Injury history coupled with the fact he's been earning only late 2nd round money in his short career .

A nice signing Bonus and an upgrade to a few million per season might just entice him to stay

Welker brings enough intangibles to the table that even though I'd like to be able to say "We Don't Need Him " ... my gut tells me that a Patriots team w/o him would be a lesser team.

We need to find a way to pay him.

Welker is Brady's security blanket ( many think it's to a fault ) but I believe it goes deeper than just being a reliable target . I believe Welker is Brady's in-game sounding board . Watch any Pats game and you 'll invariably see them sitting next to each other  , either strategically talking or just shootin' the Sh*t.

That kind of calming influence is priceless .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

#5 - Welker

#7 - Talib

#10 - Vollmer

[/QUOTE]

rame where you been, ive missed our thoughtfull and intelligent conversations about patriot football.

i have been posing the same questions with others on the draft thread about bb deciding if vollmers back will hinder his play and games palyed through his career or not.

before talib arrived in n.e., i hoped we go to man wiht dennard and talib and get more agressive with the de. to my pleasant astonishment, we have doen so and the de looks in rare form and i believe, with health, could also improve. after talibs 1st game, i hoped and would have attempted to extend talib while he was happy to jsut be in the laegue still, never mind with a supe rbowl team. i said then if we let him show how good and valuable he can be, he might get self confident and feel he should go make top money wherever the top $ is.

re welker started a couple threads the past couple weeks. did you see last week, bb having a lot of leverage to get welker to come down in his demands (hall of fame if he stays and continues same for another 3 years, yearly sb contention,. staying with his buddy and on the field connector brady, not having to start to create somenting all over again, etc.). id liek to offer him 5 years 2 guaranteed (keep him as long as he stays in top form) around 6 or up to 7 per.

talib may be the most important of the 3 (least replaceable) though i want a behavior based adn gaems played based contract 4 years, team option for 5.

though if we wave bye to vollmer i wonder if we get long for right tackle.

and woudl have to replace welker if he left. 

[/QUOTE]

Hey Bred, awesome stuff, I've been busy as always, can't believe it took me this long to get back to my thread.

Anyhow, tough loss Sunday night but it didn't make me too worried overall, ball protection is obv. a big issue, Brady hopefully won't throw picks when Gronk spreads things out and the stake's are higher in the playoffs.

I'm right there with you on our FA's. Welker should be given 5 years at 30-35 million with like 15 in signing bonus $. Other than the 1 freak knee injury he has been very durable. A guy like Stokley is still bringing it at age 36-37, Welker has 2 more years of catching 85-105 in him for sure, maybe it is our system but traditionally that is worth 7m+ for sure. After that he could re-work his deal if needed but he will at least be a guy catching you 3-4 a game, getting you a clutch 1st down, etc. Like Branch was last year. They gotta keep him.

Talib had a rough game vs. the 49ers but has been a much needed addition overall. I think it will be a case of the Pats having such a big need and him being grateful for the opportunity and playing for a winner that wanted him that they will come together on something rather quickly.

If the Pats don't sign Vollmer I hope it is b/c they have the inside scoop on his injuries and its just too risky. In that case a guy like Long or Clady taking over at LT and letting the cheaper Solder play RT and also slide to TE/6th lineman duty for some insane blocking scheme's would be pretty awesome.

[/QUOTE]

love the thoughts man.

so often seems like we're sharin a brain.

"If the Pats don't sign Vollmer I hope it is b/c they have the inside scoop on his injuries and its just too risky."

exactly.

ps you gotta get on here a little more regularly. you really bring it and have a brain and some creativity i can appreciate highly.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Byrd - 6/36

Levitre  - 5/30

Bennett - 5/25

Would be an awesome free agency, after keeping Welker (5/30), Talib (5/25) and Vollmer (franchise or like 2/15, prove he can stay healthy).

Then draft a DT, WR and CB or speedy 4-3 LB'er

[/QUOTE]

u seeing the huge need for the speedy lb as well.. its brutal.

how many sacks does bennett have this year?

and who is going to pick the cb. bb is like 0 for last  7

almost the same picture at wr.

he cant pick a wr or def back (and its cost the team), thats why i advocate free againts for the  defensive backfield.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Hartline seems like the type of upside low cost WR this team would take a stab at

[/QUOTE]

we need a separating wr, but wallace wants the world last i heard, granted this offesne would be insane

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to bobbysu's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would love to bring Goldson here, a Safety with an attitude. Something we needed here for a long time.

[/QUOTE]

The inability to sign him last offseason was a real shame and an absolute backbreaking decision that killed us all season. We had him in for a visit and the $ to spend after cutting Merri and Sanders, so not getting him locked into a deal was a brutal blow.

He really showed me Sunday that he provides intimidation and is always aggressive and around the ball. Byrd might make a few more picks and be a bit more fundamentally sound... but Goldson is certainly 1B when it comes to  which safety to sign. As long as we don't have a glaring hole at tackle I would put adding a safety next to McCourty as the #1 priority in free agency.

Go get him!

[/QUOTE]

"The inability to sign him last offseason was a real shame and an absolute backbreaking decision that killed us all season. "

absolutley have felt the same. would have been a different season. esp now with talib.

#1 free agent need yes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Reed is probably going to retire a Raven, but as far as angering a fan base and rival and adding a veteran winner I'd like the move.

Reed splitting time at SS with Chung, who we try to get something out of, would be ok at around the same cost as signing one elite guy like Byrd or Goldson.

[/QUOTE]

i'll take the youth and teh guys who can play / can still play the position 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to CaptnFoxboro's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Random thoughts :

Goldson is going to want big bucks

( He turned down multi-year offers from multiple teams and instead went back to SF on a one year contract in order to show his stuff ... which everyone now agrees is top shelf. )

Chung is a dead man walking ( Pats -wise )

I think BB thinks he's plateaued  , next year Chung will have to play for near vet min. to even have a chance to make the team.

Vollmer's value is immense . ( when healthy... obviously )

It's ez to forget the stellar job he did at LT his rookie year when Light went down .

Hard to put a price tag on a guy that can play both ends of the line at a high level .

Tag and See = likely the way to go .

( Though his versatility might make him worthy of risking a longer contract )

Vollmer might just be inclined to stay fairly cheap do to his Injury history coupled with the fact he's been earning only late 2nd round money in his short career .

A nice signing Bonus and an upgrade to a few million per season might just entice him to stay

Welker brings enough intangibles to the table that even though I'd like to be able to say "We Don't Need Him " ... my gut tells me that a Patriots team w/o him would be a lesser team.

We need to find a way to pay him.

Welker is Brady's security blanket ( many think it's to a fault ) but I believe it goes deeper than just being a reliable target . I believe Welker is Brady's in-game sounding board . Watch any Pats game and you 'll invariably see them sitting next to each other  , either strategically talking or just shootin' the Sh*t.

That kind of calming influence is priceless .

[/QUOTE]

+1 on all. if vollmers back doesnt look like its going to stop him from playing healthy in years to come

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

good thrread rame!

i started at thread fro offseason moves, fa dn draft (as opposed to your parameters above).

would love to hears your comments there from now till draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we need a separating wr, but wallace wants the world last i heard, granted this offesne would be insane

[/QUOTE]

Would you trade two #1 picks for Fitz?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i'll take the youth and teh guys who can play / can still play the position 

[/QUOTE]

So you would be down with a Chung/Reed duo at SS next season?