ESPN top 25 free agency rankings, 3 Pats in top 10

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: ESPN top 25 free agency rankings, 3 Pats in top 10

In response to rameakap's comment:

What about signing a deep threat like Wallace?

Hartline seems like the type of upside low cost WR this team would take a stab at

we need a separating wr, but wallace wants the world last i heard, granted this offesne would be insane

Would you trade two #1 picks for Fitz?

NO

What would be a fair trade for Fitz? One number one pick? A 3rd this year and 1st/3rd next year?

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to bredbru's comment:

Hartline seems like the type of upside low cost WR this team would take a stab at

we need a separating wr, but wallace wants the world last i heard, granted this offesne would be insane

NO

Agree, You should use Free Agency as a Need, not a luxury.

I would trade our #1 this year , our 2 bd round pick this year,

Vereen, Lyold for Fitz and their 2nd this year.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Hmmm

Lloyd does little for 'Zona if they are rebuilding, and giving up picks 30/60 for pick 40 isn't huge value for them either.

If they want young players with upside then we can offer them Vareen, Cunningham, Bequette, but we don't have too many young guys teams would want and you rarely see players swapped in these moves, its mostly just picks.

What if they wanted Hernandez? That would be a tough call.

I still think something like our 2nd or 3rd this year (leaving us our #1 since that player would likely make an impact as a rookie on a win now team) and a 1st next year with maybe 1 more pick tossed in down the line is a fair trade offer.

Fitz is better than Jennings and Wallace and can restructure his deal once he gets here like Moss did, he wants to be on a winner bad.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Fitz is better than Jennings and Wallace and can restructure his deal once he gets here like Moss did, he wants to be on a winner bad.

Look I love Fitz and think he would be a great fit here, but how can they possibly restructure his deal to make it reasonable.  His projected cap next year is pretty low at a bit under 10 million, but the following 4 years it's somewhere between 17 and 20.  I am not a cap guru, but it seems to me it would take a lot to get that number down.

It would all come down to how much of the 50 million signing bonus was alreayd paid out or is on the last 6 years and like 100 million of that deal.

I'm not sure but if they have given him at least 15 million of that bonus then only 35 million is left to guarantee the man and the Pats can spread it out with less base salary as they please. Again, not sure about that at all.

But such big #'s may make his trade value lower:-)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If we're gonna throw big bucks around I'd aim a wad at Clady. Then I'd unload the injury-prone Vollmer and move Solder back to RT. If we can't keep Welker, I'd look at cheaper alternatives like Hartline or Amendola. Gotta bring in a safety as well. Anyone would seem to be better than Gregory and Chung.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

rame,

too many needs (wr not at the top) to trade 2 firsts (now if 1 would do it, id consider)

i would trade my 2013 first for teh team i would guess to be the worst record at teh end of 2013 for their 2014 pick (a shot at manziel or the best qb coming out in 2014). hes bradys backup till brady isnt brady.

outside of that id make my other 2013 picks available to move up to get the absolute studs i have to  have at dt (wilfork 2.0), at de (chandler jones but better), and or c/g (barrettt, cooper) as opposed to dropping down for more picks so we can have 8 more yo0ung jags. the team is young enough. needs some experience. only thing missing is a few dominat players at these positions along wiht free agency help at safety, maybe corner, speedy lb and a ltae round or udfa big wr who can sepaarate and has hands (but not necearily route running)

Reed is probably going to retire a Raven, but as far as angering a fan base and rival and adding a veteran winner I'd like the move.

Reed splitting time at SS with Chung, who we try to get something out of, would be ok at around the same cost as signing one elite guy like Byrd or Goldson.

i'll take the youth and teh guys who can play / can still play the position 

So you would be down with a Chung/Reed duo at SS next season?

neither. chung forget it. reed too declining.

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Look I love Fitz and think he would be a great fit here, but how can they possibly restructure his deal to make it reasonable.  His projected cap next year is pretty low at a bit under 10 million, but the following 4 years it's somewhere between 17 and 20.  I am not a cap guru, but it seems to me it would take a lot to get that number down.

no dice.

In response to trouts' comment:

If we're gonna throw big bucks around I'd aim a wad at Clady. Then I'd unload the injury-prone Vollmer and move Solder back to RT. If we can't keep Welker, I'd look at cheaper alternatives like Hartline or Amendola. Gotta bring in a safety as well. Anyone would seem to be better than Gregory and Chung.

not a bad plan

My feelings exactly... I have been saying the same thing all season, only about Jake Long tho and not Clady. With Long being injured and Martin playing so well for Miami he will be cheaper/ Clady has never missed a game and is protecting old man Manning... he will either stay in Denver or require a BOATLOAD of cash.

Safety is a big priority... how incredible would it be to see us get Byrd or Goldson?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

rame,

too many needs (wr not at the top) to trade 2 firsts (now if 1 would do it, id consider)

i would trade my 2013 first for teh team i would guess to be the worst record at teh end of 2013 for their 2014 pick (a shot at manziel or the best qb coming out in 2014). hes bradys backup till brady isnt brady.

outside of that id make my other 2013 picks available to move up to get the absolute studs i have to  have at dt (wilfork 2.0), at de (chandler jones but better), and or c/g (barrettt, cooper) as opposed to dropping down for more picks so we can have 8 more yo0ung jags. the team is young enough. needs some experience. only thing missing is a few dominat players at these positions along wiht free agency help at safety, maybe corner, speedy lb and a ltae round or udfa big wr who can sepaarate and has hands (but not necearily route running)

[/QUOTE]

Its obv a long shot, but you are correct two #1's is too much. Now a 2nd this year and 1st next year would be a tough call. All contracts are able to be favorably reconstructed in the NFL, the fact that fitz likely has about 35-40 million guaranteed on his makes me feel we could work something out.

As for trading around in the draft this year, it is very unlikely a pick in the 27-31 range will net us a '14 pick in the top 10. Only time that ever happened was with Mayo... all other times BB traded a pick in the 20's for one in the 20's the following season. With only picks in first 3 rd's and then two 7th rd picks I don't see us having the ammo to move up like we did for Jones/Hightower unless its with 2014 picks.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Try to sign Talib, and Welker. Jake Long might be worth an offer sheet.

rame,

• Its obv a long shot, but you are correct two #1's is too much. Now a 2nd this year and 1st next year would be a tough call. All contracts are able to be favorably reconstructed in the NFL, the fact that fitz likely has about 35-40 million guaranteed on his makes me feel we could work something out.

As for trading around in the draft this year, it is very unlikely a pick in the 27-31 range will net us a '14 pick in the top 10. Only time that ever happened was with Mayo... all other times BB traded a pick in the 20's for one in the 20's the following season. With only picks in first 3 rd's and then two 7th rd picks I don't see us having the ammo to move up like we did for Jones/Hightower unless its with 2014 picks.

rame, #1 no team right now is going to predict they willbe a league worst team in 2 years (so they wont see it coming).

2nd about trading up this year, if we do (which i doubt) we can use 2014 picks, ie move up to land jordan or ansah (de pass rushers), or big dream-hankins dt, or dt jenkins o or willimams in rd 1.

de hunt or nt jessie willimas in rd 2

frederick c/g in rd 3

• You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

My feelings exactly... I have been saying the same thing all season, only about Jake Long tho and not Clady. With Long being injured and Martin playing so well for Miami he will be cheaper/ Clady has never missed a game and is protecting old man Manning... he will either stay in Denver or require a BOATLOAD of cash.

Safety is a big priority... how incredible would it be to see us get Byrd or Goldson?

I'd take a shot at stealing him from Gomer. Even if you don't pry him away you make the Broncos pay through the nose to keep him in Denver. We've signed a number of guys who have injury histories and I'm weary about that.

[/QUOTE]

Its obv a long shot, but you are correct two #1's is too much. Now a 2nd this year and 1st next year would be a tough call. All contracts are able to be favorably reconstructed in the NFL, the fact that fitz likely has about 35-40 million guaranteed on his makes me feel we could work something out.

[/QUOTE]

rame, #1 no team right now is going to predict they willbe a league worst team in 2 years (so they wont see it coming).

2nd about trading up this year, if we do (which i doubt) we can use 2014 picks, ie move up to land jordan or ansah (de pass rushers), or big dream-hankins dt, or dt jenkins o or willimams in rd 1.

frederick c/g in rd 3

[/QUOTE]

I'm def with you on trading 2014 picks to move up this year for instant impact players if we can... I have felt this way for years as Brady has a small window... I hope BB just felt that window extended longer than most of us did and will hopefully now be making more moves like he did for Jones/Hightower and less moves like he did '09-'11 when I feel he blew some good opportunities.

and of course no team really 'expects' to be terrible the next season... but you can bet there are a dozen teams who wouldn't in their right minds trade a '14 #1 pick for the Pats pick this year in the 27-31 range. knowing it likely is a top 15 pick.

Like I said the only time we got lucky was with the Mayo pick in '08 b/c the 49ers felt they were almost in the playoffs and ended up with the 8th pick a year later. Maybe find an NFC team like the Vikings, Cowboys, Bucs, Eagles, Lions or Bears who all consider themselves ready to improve and either get into or get deeper into the playoffs next year and end up being worse. I could see any of those teams being in the 7-14 range in a year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Since we will have Ballard next year would you consider trading Hernandez.

If so who would you give up picks with him for. Fitzgerald,Austin, Jared Allen,  or Roddy White.

I am not saying all or any are available but players who are untouchable get traded.

frederick c/g in rd 3

• I'm def with you on trading 2014 picks to move up this year for instant impact players if we can... I have felt this way for years as Brady has a small window... I hope BB just felt that window extended longer than most of us did and will hopefully now be making more moves like he did for Jones/Hightower and less moves like he did '09-'11 when I feel he blew some good opportunities.

and of course no team really 'expects' to be terrible the next season... but you can bet there are a dozen teams who wouldn't in their right minds trade a '14 #1 pick for the Pats pick this year in the 27-31 range. knowing it likely is a top 15 pick.

Like I said the only time we got lucky was with the Mayo pick in '08 b/c the 49ers felt they were almost in the playoffs and ended up with the 8th pick a year later. Maybe find an NFC team like the Vikings, Cowboys, Bucs, Eagles, Lions or Bears who all consider themselves ready to improve and either get into or get deeper into the playoffs next year and end up being worse. I could see any of those teams being in the 7-14 range in a year.

"

I'm def with you on trading 2014 picks to move up this year for instant impact players if we can... I have felt this way for years as Brady has a small window."

rame,

thats been my feeling for 2 or 3 years and posted that since ive been on the board. dont recall anyone agreeing at the time. lots of disagreement though. seems plain to most by now id guess, wasting brady years we could have won the super bowl just to make sure we are in best position several years down the line (where we are in the saem position today; small chance to make the sb with what we have, smaller chance to win it) vs 2-3 game changers that put us over the top.

Sections
    Shortcuts