europe dosnt care about the NFL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: europe dosnt care about the NFL

How many people would buy seasons tickets to attend all home games if London had an NFL team ? It seems that Goodell, and by extension the owners, would need that information before they went ahead with a franchise in London. That would just make sound business sense.  I am sure the league would gather  all info regarding the long term viability of a franchise in London.

I still think the L.A. franchise is on the table with the governator building a new stadium and LA being a huge media market (not that London isn't). I am sure there's more than a few gangsta rappers still sporting L A RAiders gear in their videos and Uncle Al isn't exactly the NFL's best friend. Don't forget that Ralph Wilson has one foot on the soapdish and another on the soap; he's stated that his estate will auction off the team to the highest bidder when he departs from this world. That could be some rich guy in Canada or someone like Abramovich (sp).

Goodell, said something like a timeframe of ten years and alot could happen by then. Heck, the Raiders could be a good team by then and the Bills could be playing 8 regular season games in Canada....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

We Fear Change

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: europe dosnt care about the NFL:
    [QUOTE]They sold out 85,000 seats in less than ten minutes.. What the hell are you talking about? And if Man U or Real Madrid came to Foxboro.. It'd sell out immediately. ...  get cultured.
    Posted by rbreg7[/QUOTE] yes they did.would they do it every week?or just once a year?they had a little paragraph with a couple lines in there paper the next day about the game.everything else was about soccer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from paob. Show paob's posts

[QUOTE]As much as I like English/Scottish premier league football, I think I'm in the minority.  If Hibernian and Rangers came to Foxboro, I would think it would be a hard sell.  I imagine NFL games sell out in the UK because it is a one time a year event.  Not sure London could sustain a pro franchise. 
    Posted by BrooklineRob[/QUOTE]

Celtic and Rangers wouldn't be as a hard a sell as say Falkirk...I think the attitude many Americans have toward European football is shared by the attitude many Europeans have toward American football. The true fans are expatriates, foreign nationals or someone who just likes sports, period!

I watch the EPL every week, but I would NEVER watch a MLS game because the talent is nowhere near what it is overseas. Sad to say, but to me MLS is a retirement home for players past their prime.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanUK. Show PatsFanUK's posts

Right, now that I'm finally back with internet access having gone to Italy this week, here are my observations from this thread:

1. You're not going to get anywhere near the same level of interest in the NFL as you will with soccer in the UK (and the rest of Europe for that matter) - but that's not to say that there isn't enough of a commercial opportunity to exploit..?

2. The level of hooliganism in soccer has been drastically reduced in recent years - to tar all soccer fans as such is naive and a somewhat crass statement to make (and more than a little ironic given that this thread is about a lack of undestanding of another sport?).

3. For those NFL fans in the UK, the level of knowledge of the sport is pretty good.

4. There was a decent European contingent of fans (i.e. non UK) at the game on Sunday - they must be getting annoyed that London is getting the game every year (especially the Germans who invested more energy into NFL Europe than anyone else);

5. I would expect that the chance of selling out 8 home games for a regular season in London to be pretty remote. I'm not a fan of that idea at all.

Overall, I got the expected percentage of Pats fans at the game completely wrong. This is largely due to the large number of fans of other teams not participating on Sunday - and they almost all were wanting the Pats to lose? So - about 50/50 in the end...

Also, the level of noise was pretty low, but I'd put that down to the game being effectively over within the first 10 minutes? It was a bit of a non event as games go (last year's slingfest between the Saints and Chargers had a much better atmosphere)

(Oh, and that was me sitting in front of the Red Sox London Supporters flag that was shown in Dan Shaughnessy's article after the game...)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomiW. Show TomiW's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: europe dosnt care about the NFL : yes they did.would they do it every week?or just once a year?they had a little paragraph with a couple lines in there paper the next day about the game.everything else was about soccer.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Clearly, no-one knows for sure whether they would sell out until you try it, although the London attendances compare favourably to average home game attendances in the NFL. What evidence would convince you?

Also, the general attendances at live sport in the UK is - I suspect - proportionally greater than the US. The five professional football (soccer) teams based in London have gates of 35-65,000 for every one of their 20+ home games each year.

Lots of popular sports don't get much coverage (Rugby League, for instance) but that is a different question to whether London could support an NFL franchise.