Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick.....

I can't imagine that the koolaid drinkers are happy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

Re: Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick.....

This is a tough day Bubba. BB better hope he gets the right players tomorrow or the shiet will hit the fan in bean town

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick.....

I'm sure they are but you won't get them to admit it on here.  I used to be one of those Koolaid drinkers, but I kicked the habit a few years ago.  Any chance of BB pulling something off in a good way the next few days?  Maybe BB can still call Josh and see if he can get his man Tebow to say a little prayer for use, we need it right about now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

I'm a koolaide drinker and i'm happy we got a 3rd round pick to make a trade......
    Sure we can get a LB from the raiders if want for that 3rd or a 4th

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Huggybear999. Show Huggybear999's posts

In Response to Re: Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick.....:
    I'm sure they are but you won't get them to admit it on here.  I used to be one of those Koolaid drinkers, but I kicked the habit a few years ago.  Any chance of BB pulling something off in a good way the next few days?  Maybe BB can still call Josh and see if he can get his man Tebow to say a little prayer for use, we need it right about now.
    Posted by BradyMossFan

Whatever Underdoggg.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

So getting what some people considered the second best CB, something most non-koolaid drinkers were saying Pats need, is a bad move.  Oh, and they picked up a 3 rd round pick.  When the Pats traded down there were 6 kids I would have been happy with them grabbing and McCourty was one of them.

Just because the talking heads don't understand the pick or call the Pats a draft day loser doesn't mean they are.  I'm willing to bet my life that McCourty would have been gone by the 5rd pick in the second round if he wouldn't have been picked by NO or the Jets.

If the Pats feel he was the guy they need, which we can all agree they do need a strong starting CB, then I got to believe that was a good pick. Dez Bryant would have been a nice pick and so would Bryan Bulaga, Everson Griffen, Jerry Hughes, Jared Odrick, Sergio Kindle or Ricky Sapp.  But I also had McCourty, Patrick Robinson and Kyle Wilson on my list of guys I would have liked to see the Pats grab. 

I think they grabbed a guy that could be a quality starter for a position we all said they were weak in.  Bodden, McCourty, Butler, Wilhite and Wheatley are a pretty good team.  Butler could be a future starter and was a second round pick last year, Wilhite was a early 4th round pick and last I knew if you were a player that sees the field as a 4th that not bad, and Wheatley, being second to the last pick in the 2nd round has been a bit of a disappointment and a draft day miss.  So they needed a top quality CB and I think they may have this with McCourty.

There are a lot of good players available and they have 3 picks in the next 21 selections.  Lets hope some of these guys that are first round talents drop to them. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I think this is a wise pick.  The teams in the division have improved their passing attack.  The Patriots have countered with another weapon.  They have 2 LB on IR.  They drafted 3 OL and 2 DT last year.  They still have 12 picks in the draft.  This could be the backfield of the future.  I expect that there will be a couple of trades today to move up in the second and third round.  There are still many good players on the board.  I see the Patriots filling their needs in the next round. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick.....:
    So getting what some people considered the second best CB, something most non-koolaid drinkers were saying Pats need, is a bad move.  Oh, and they picked up a 3 rd round pick.  When the Pats traded down there were 6 kids I would have been happy with them grabbing and McCourty was one of them. Just because the talking heads don't understand the pick or call the Pats a draft day loser doesn't mean they are.  I'm willing to bet my life that McCourty would have been gone by the 5rd pick in the second round if he wouldn't have been picked by NO or the Jets. If the Pats feel he was the guy they need, which we can all agree they do need a strong starting CB, then I got to believe that was a good pick. Dez Bryant would have been a nice pick and so would Bryan Bulaga, Everson Griffen, Jerry Hughes, Jared Odrick, Sergio Kindle or Ricky Sapp.  But I also had McCourty, Patrick Robinson and Kyle Wilson on my list of guys I would have liked to see the Pats grab.  I think they grabbed a guy that could be a quality starter for a position we all said they were weak in.  Bodden, McCourty, Butler, Wilhite and Wheatley are a pretty good team.  Butler could be a future starter and was a second round pick last year, Wilhite was a early 4th round pick and last I knew if you were a player that sees the field as a 4th that not bad, and Wheatley, being second to the last pick in the 2nd round has been a bit of a disappointment and a draft day miss.  So they needed a top quality CB and I think they may have this with McCourty. There are a lot of good players available and they have 3 picks in the next 21 selections.  Lets hope some of these guys that are first round talents drop to them. 
    Posted by ItsPat

Let's pose the subject from a different angle.  Do you feel that CB was are #1 need? Maybe BB thinks Crable is going to be that "impact" player we need for our greatest weakness?....hmmmm

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick.....: Time always tells on these things. This is a deep draft, and maybe getting more later picks and still getting a guy you want makes sense this year.
    That being said, I would have preferred Hughes or Kindle (will BB get kahoonas and trade up with the Rams here?), but am okay with a corner....I just love Kyle Wilson and can't believe we passed on this guy.

Posted by BubbaInHawaii

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

Let's pose the subject from a different angle.  Do you feel that CB was are #1 need? Maybe BB thinks Crable is going to be that "impact" player we need for our greatest weakness?....hmmmm
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

What I think is there were multiple positions that needed help.  What I think is you grab the best player you feel is available while looking at who will be left when you will pick three more times in the next 21 picks. 

Maybe on the Patriots draft board they have 15 or so guys they feel are going to be players they would be happy with so they went with the guy they had ranked the highest.  Maybe they knew there would be no decent CBs left when they pick in the second round, which appears to be the case as the next available group of CB is a step down.  Maybe they feel there should be quality players at the other positions they need help when they pick in the second round.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Pats know a heck of a lot more about these kids and what they might contribute then we do.  I would like them to be right all the time but that's probably not going to happen.  I do think that you should get a starter in the first round.  Maybe not a first year starter but by year two a first round pick should be a starter or it was a wasted pick in my opinion.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick..... : What I think is there were multiple positions that needed help.  What I think is you grab the best player you feel is available while looking at who will be left when you will pick three more times in the next 21 picks.  Maybe on the Patriots draft board they have 15 or so guys they feel are going to be players they would be happy with so they went with the guy they had ranked the highest.  Maybe they knew there would be no decent CBs left when they pick in the second round, which appears to be the case as the next available group of CB is a step down.  Maybe they feel there should be quality players at the other positions they need help when they pick in the second round. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the Pats know a heck of a lot more about these kids and what they might contribute then we do.  I would like them to be right all the time but that's probably not going to happen.  I do think that you should get a starter in the first round.  Maybe not a first year starter but by year two a first round pick should be a starter or it was a wasted pick in my opinion.
    Posted by ItsPat

Yeah, they did a great job with wilhite and wheatley as well.  Great info.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

It reall comes down to who else we pick.  If we still get Kindle for example, I no longer feel disappointed.  If we dont grab an OLB by the end of the 2nd, I am not happy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick.....:
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

What is there to be upset about?  He made a pick that he thinks will improve our team.....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

special teams were weak last year at defending on kicks; overall tackling was weak on plays from scrimmage; the secondary was OK overall...this guy adresses two big weaknesses, even though his primary position (secondary) was OK last year...BB likes well rounded tough football players and with this pick it appears he is sticking with that bias...it's worked in the past.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

Yeah, they did a great job with wilhite and wheatley as well.  Great info.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

Wheatley in my opinion is a disappointment.  Granted he was the second to the last pick in the second round, a far cry from expecting a quality starter, but I did expect him to be contributing more then he has.  Wilhite, being a 4th round pick has done what I expect most 4th round picks to do.  Make the team and contribute once in a while.  Obviously, looking at these two guys, a starting CB is needed.  Butler was also a second round pick and I expect him to be on the field in nickle formations with Bodden and McCourty.  Hopefully Butler will be a starter next to McCourty soon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick.....: Well, let's see..... The Jets traded up and sacrificed VALUABLE later picks to draft Revis, David Harris, Keller(all guys that sure would look good in New England)...they add Cromartie and Wilson(who Pats passed on).... and made a move to get an established pass rusher(Jason Taylor) to go with what they already have. Miami adds two excellent CBs last year when they were supposed to pick, not getting cute with trade-downs.. Then they add a quality DE this year. Then they get a Pro Bowl free agent LB from Arizona.
    But hold on a second....I need to go get the Kool Aid, what color should I drink? So while BB becomes Nero, the Empire's shaky foundation is beginning to show. The competition is in the weight room, while we play fantasy football games and add up our "draft value" points.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In Response to Re: Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick..... : Let's pose the subject from a different angle.  Do you feel that CB was are #1 need? Maybe BB thinks Crable is going to be that "impact" player we need for our greatest weakness?....hmmmm
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii
    I have posted this before, I don't know why everyone here talks about what the Patriots' needs are. It doesn't matter to BB. Bill is ALWAYS going to draft the player that HE feels is the best value regardless of position or need. If he doens't think that any player is worth a pick when it is his turn, he will trade it. Most everyone is ready to jump out of windows because Bill doesn't draft a position that they think we need. Bill isn't going to change (nor do I want him to).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If he's the next TBuck that's ok.  TBuck turned into a very solid Saftey, excellent ST player and ok corner. Scouts Inc has him as the 17th best overall, Rick Gosselin had him something like 20th.  That sounds better than TBuck.

I am disappointed they didn't address a greater need especially with Bryant and Hughes on the board, but he'll be a good contributor.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seanblaze. Show seanblaze's posts

I had CB as a top 3 need. I have no idea what people are complaining about. This guy screams Pat. Haden went and Jackson went. Earl Thomas S/CB was gone.  They didn't like Wilson probably because has no zone experience. McCourty ran a 4.3!!  Some fans are so stupid here. You can't just hand over the  LCB job to Butler. He needs camp competition and here it is.  If BB goes Sapp, Darian Williams and Ben Tate today in Round 2 and then traded the Rd 3 pick for Kirk Morisson, what are people going to do?  Complain?  My good god. This draft has always been about the 3 2nd rounders.  The fact BB added TWO mid rd picks was classic BB. He moved slots and got two picks! Baltimore also did well in that area.
    Posted by russgriswold

Good post.....BB obviously was eyeing McCourty all along. So he gets his man & grabs 90th pick & 110 to boot OUT OF NO WHERE! W-T-F bostonians? Chillax! When does BB ever grab a big name on the board. He doesn't see the hype like Dallas....BB cuts through all the BS. The Pats are not like 75% of the league. We can find value in late picks. Look @ Edelman.....He'll be a huge pat of our offense next year. He was a 7th rounder...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

While I would not thrilled with him as a first round pick, we did keep him away from the Jets who with a surplus of DB's picked a DB. He is a physical cover corner. He does not play the ball meaning he is not going to get too many picks but he will not be burnt. Special teams were a joke last year. Especially punt/kick coverage. With him as a gunner he the punt team got instantly better. Without Welker they need a returner and with him and B. Tate on the team that role can be filled.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Even the koolaid drinking homers gotta be disappointed with our 1st rnd pick..... : I have posted this before, I don't know why everyone here talks about what the Patriots' needs are. It doesn't matter to BB. Bill is ALWAYS going to draft the player that HE feels is the best value regardless of position or need. If he doens't think that any player is worth a pick when it is his turn, he will trade it. Most everyone is ready to jump out of windows because Bill doesn't draft a position that they think we need. Bill isn't going to change (nor do I want him to).
    Posted by Cyberknot

He has been doing this for 10 years now and has some success doing so.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

Are you kidding?   McCourty is identical to Tebucky Jones, and yet some people here are convinced we got a surefire Hall of Fame lockdown CB.  Never underestimate the power of Kool Aid!
    Posted by John413

I am not particularly excited about this pick...but...

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!

TJ was a running back who had been converted to safety.  Not a very effective one at that.  Donavon Darius was the other 1st round safety from the Orangemen that year.  Donavon was a better safety at Syracuse and he was the much better safety in the pros for the Jaguars.  Tebucky was not a corner in college and hardly played safety either. He was recruited as a rb out of CT.   He was picked much too high and the pick was based on potential production in the NFL due to his tremendous physical talents, not anything accomplished in college.

Simply put he WAS NOT DRAFTED FOR HIS PRODUCTION, BUT FOR HIS POTENTIAL. Even Bobby Grier and the boys were saying that.  I am not really sure how you can compare a highly productive player like this to TJ.  Granted only 1 pick last year for McCourty...Because no one wanted to throw his way!

Please if you must rant, then at least arm yourself with some 411, you seem kind of clueless.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

First off, the difference between a #27 pick and a #44 pick, while that may be a reasonable distance, isn't overwhelming.  BB can grab whatever else he wants (or that you want) and soon.

Drew Brees and Peyton Manning cut the defensive backfield to shreds last year.  BB didn't like that. 

Didja notice how BB positioned his pick right in front of Miami and the Jets, then grabbed his guy?  If McCourty is as good as BB says and worth a #22 pick, those war rooms were kicking themselves.

Now, as for McCourty, at least he's a pretty big and tough cornerback, the kind that doesn't break easily.  He has all the goodies that BB loves.  He has extra-long arms for handling the run well, and he has explosiveness.  Cornerbacks don't start in BB's backfield the first year anyways, so BB might as well get a small-school guy.

BB is terrible at pleasing the average draftnik, but last year he brought in a future all-pro like Vollmer with a pick in the 50s, plus a few typical second rounders, and everyone eventually says he's great.  Well, BB is once again as happy as Rex Ryan carrying five plates on a tray at a buffet line.  No caviar, but maybe fish eggs are overrated.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

Kinda in shock as I didn't see this coming.  At least it looks like he's a aggressive and physical, especially in the run game....this is definitely something that the Pats have been missing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I think this is a wise pick.  The teams in the division have improved their passing attack.  The Patriots have countered with another weapon... Posted by msteven

Absolutely right.  Look, do you naysayers want Wilhite/Wheatley covering Brandon Marshall, ever?  We have a coach/GM that isn't worried about admitting to mistakes.  That's a good thing. 

This is a passing league.  Why aren't people criticizing the Jets for picking a CB when that would seem to be their strength?  Because it's like pitching, you can't have enough quality secondary players in this league.  Yes, they need to improve the pass rush.  But obviously they think they can get that done with four of the next 58 picks.

Yes, I'm a Kool Aid drinker.  I'm drinking whatever the winningest coach in franchise history and among the greatest in league history wants to mix.  No problem admitting to that and no regrets over this pick.

Sections
Shortcuts