Every year BB neglects a position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Re: Every year BB neglects a position

"If Belichick drafted the way fans wanted we would have 100 Cbs and 100 LBs every year cause thats all anyone ever b*tches about."

I can always count on a Taz post when I need a good laugh.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Hannah - gotta disagree.  I think polian is a better drafter.  Belichick better at overall personnel.  free agents are a colts achilles heel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

mvp - but do you have 3 years to judge.  At the pats level when nothing less than a superbowl will suffice, is three years really available to wait and judge?

As a fan of a team that has had huge expectations and largely fallen short of them, do you want to be the indianapolis colts of the next 3 years while waiting to judge your secondary and falling short in the playoffs?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Two reasons: talent in the draft and financial profiles. Everette Brown is a lot slower and shorter than Woods or Crable. And he is a lot weaker than Crable. Michael Johnson is the last player that would find a flying elvis on his helmet. People were so impressed by the names Cincy got. They can have them, thanks. In two seasons when they are a disfunctional underacheiving unit, everyone will still be asking how they always manage to do it.

RESPONSE: Agreed...especially about Johnson, and the Bengals overrated draft.

There may have been OLB prospects BB liked, but they were likely at the very top of the draft, and he probably looked at the rest and thought that they were only as good, or worse than the young guys he had on the roster.

RESPONSE: Quite right. Ayers, Orakpo, Maybin, and English all were gone by pick #18. 

However, the players he took also fit needs, and are better athletes than what he has on the roster.

RESPONSE: Amen. I love Butler's athleticism and speed. He could become another Asante Samuel. Getting him, Spings, and Bodden made Hobbs expendable. Unless Patrick Chung drank from the same spring as Eugene, he has the physical tools to be the Pats' Troy Polamalu. Brace could become a Ted Washington type at NT.
         Ah, yes...isn't it wonderful to dream...LOL!!  

Finances play a role as well, I am sure. If you can have equal talent at an equal need, you take a player who represents better financial value. Drafting corners and DTs is smart. The contract demands of these players in FA is much, much higher than Lbers, which means that LBers are a smarter FA investment and DT/CB are better draft investments.

RESPONSE: Again...agreed.

Just compare the incoming and outgoing contracts for Dominque Foxworth and Bart Scott from the Ravens. Scott got $48/6y ($8mil avg) as a one time pro-bowler. The Ravens "replaced" him with Dominique Foxworth for a $28/4yr ($7 mil avg) deal for a CB who has four career picks in four seasons, and is going on his 3rd season. So one million dollars seperates a very good OLB from an "adequate" CB. The best corners get $14-16 million as of right now. The best OLB gets something closer to $10 million per.

RESPONSE: You may be inflating the figures for top CBs. For example, Asante Samuel signed a six-year, $56 million contract with the Eagles. Heres' the breakdown of how he's being paid: http://www.eaglescap.com/Players/AsanteSamuel.html 

If Butler has a good first season (4-5 picks) and Brown has a good first season (6-8) sacks and NE chooses to go to FA to replace the need they didn't pick, the FA price on a 6-8 sack guy is much, much less than the astronomical amount that a 4-5 pick CB would be worth.

RESPONSE: I tend to agree.

With "any" development of the three young corners NE should be able to avoid playing in that rich poker game for FA corners for a few seasons, and can possibly make a solid FA acquisition at a spot like OLB.

RESPONSE: Agreed.

I feel much more confident in this defense than last year's defense coming in. Aside from the development of Meriweather and Mayo into impact players, they aren't coming in with Deltha Oneal, and a crew of 34+ starters. I am saying now, Brace alone improves this defense. Having two big men for the nose will be enormous late games and down the playoff stretch. Ne hasn't had that luxury in a while. Bringing Brace in for even 25% of the sets to spell Wilfork will result in better play and more penetration from the DL.

RESPONSE: Agreed again...especially about your comments on Brace, and the Brace/Wilfolk combo. The Pats' defense was much, much tougher when the team boasted two good NTs, in 2003 (Vince & Ted Washington) and 2004 (Vince & Keith Traylor). 

Posted by zbellino

Lets' hope that somehow, the Pats can find that little extra nudge this year to finally get over the top...and earn that elusive 4th Lombardi trophy. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

If your team has only one position of questionable depth (OLB).....you know what that means?

You're a Super Bowl contender, cause most teams stink at multiple positions.

I'm saying the glass is half full.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I'm saying the glass is half full.

I'd say the glass is only missing a sip or two. But all the "armchair GMs" would like to see it overflowing onto the table! Nothing wrong with that, it's just not realistic. I think they may well be pretty satisfied with who is on the roster already. Just because a player is "unproven" doesn't mean he won't play well. We were all ready to cut Cassel a year ago, yet he came in and won 11 games. With Brady back, and hopefully nowhere near the amount of injuries suffered in 08, I don't see how this team isn't a serious contender. Just the improvement in the secondary should help out the pass rush. On many occasions it was merely a half a second which differentiated between an opposing QB completing a pass and a sack (or throwing it away). I think the defense will be much improved this season. My biggest concern is them staying healthy. Any other team with the injuries they had in 08 would have been looking at 8-8 or worse. Even teams like the Steelers or Colts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

"I don't see how this team isn't a serious contender."

Of course they are a serious contender. Who has even hinted otherwise?

I just wish we used a 3rd rounder on Michael Johnson, as an insurance policy with great upside.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Lets' hope that somehow, the Pats can find that little extra nudge this year to finally get over the top...and earn that elusive 4th Lombardi trophy. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Definitely. And if it is Burgess as a solid vet to play in front of Crable/Woods, or stop gap until FA then that is fine.

On the Cb salaries I was kind of referring to the Nnamdi Asomugha deal that was three seasons at roughly $15 mil per, with the first two guaranteed at $14 per.

I think if Nnamdi had gotten that before Asante signed, Samuel's contract might look a little different. Asante was still working off of the Nate Clements deal.
    I hope Asomugha really doesn't become a precedent, as I hope the insane Albert Haynesworth deal doesn't either.

I read at least one GM who said he wouldn't acknowledge either contract in negotiations as precendent, because they are obvious overpays that go beyond the pale of what a real FA can expect outside of the dump in Oakland and Washington.

Hopefully, you are right, and they stay at a stable increase from the Bailey contract of 2004, and top flight guys will get salaries closer to $11 million going down the road.

The other guy to watch is Demarcus Ware. He is hoping to top the $12.25 mil per given to Jared Allen. How far over the top is up to Jerry Jones, and it will shake down to all other outside linebackers in the league starting with Sterri-man.

I kind of expect it, but I really hope Jerry Jones doesn't blow this position up the way that Al Davis and Snyder blew up DT and CB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Underdogg, I do think we have 3 years. As long as we have Belichick as our head coach we have a chance to win it all. Hell we could win a superbowl in that 3 year span without a true lock down corner, we have done it in the past. the Pats are not the Colts, we have Belichick and you dont and thats a huge difference. I think we will be just fine with the guys we have i am not worried one bit about letting asante walk. i am confident that guys like Wheatly will work out so in the long run, the big picture not over paying for Asante will end up being a good move because we replaced him with young talent for cheaper. Thats what I think so im not sweating the next 3 years one bit. If we can win a title with Randall Gay covering Terrel Owens and Earthwind Mooreland as our # 2 CB I think we can win with the guys we have now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"If Belichick drafted the way fans wanted we would have 100 Cbs and 100 LBs every year cause thats all anyone ever b*tches about."

"I can always count on a Taz post when I need a good laugh. "

I am always happy to entertain lol Does that mean you agree that if BB drafted the way we wanted we would have 100 Cbs and 100 LBs cause thats all anyone ever b*tches about?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Ne got gashed bad in the "Wildcat" debut in week three for 216 yards. And they missed Ty Warren big time in the Jets and Steelers games, as Wright is a terrible run stopper and it was obvious that both teams game planned to run right at Wright. Take away two of those and NE allows just one 100 yard rusher all season, and is is in week 17 in a shutout effort where NE essentially was daring Trent Edwards  to throw the ball into a snowstorm. If you only take away half the yardage the Fins got running into nickel formations NE's run defense falls into the 9th spot, and the YPC against is less than 4.0. Adding Warren against the Jets and Steelers probably brings the tally close in to the top five overall. The yardage seperating the #5 defense and #15 running was a mere 226 yards over the course of the season. And that doesn't factor in the rash of injuries at LBer. If you look inside the metrics there is no comparison between how bad the pass defense was compared to the rush defense. 27 passing TDs versus 8 rushing TDs. NFL teams were almost four times as likely to get the ball in the endzone via the pass. The pass defense was a major achilles heel. And the sad part is that they played full strength at CB (for the most part) all season long. Even blitzing more wouldn't help this, as the 3rd and 8 situation always presented the opposing team with a nice seem because Hobbs and Oneal couldn't hold their own in press. The run defense dip was a fact of playing behind more often, playing in nickel and dime zones more often to offset the lowsy coverage, and missing some key games  from NE's best run stopper. If Seymour, WIlfork, Brace and Warren give NE a healthy season next year, they should be back in the top five. The only two seasons where they weren't top five were seasons where they missed Warren or Sey from injury. Actually, Brace could improve this because he projects to be a bit stouter at the POA than Wilfork is.
    Posted by zbellino

Statistics are relative to the rest of the league. So the Pats may have appeared to give up alot of passing yards. But so did the rest of the league.
    The NFL is primarily (overall) a passing league. So of course, it appears that balls are flying all over the place, because they are. Look at how many teams pass for 200 + a game. No one runs for 200 + a game. The Vikes were tops at 150+ a game.

So, the Pats struggle to stop the run more than they do the pass is relative to the rest of the league. You can't take certain games out of the equation like they were flukes. They were poor performances that comtributed to their ranking. (like you can't take away flukey positive stats. stats are a refelection of performance over time, not just random hand picked weeks.)

That's why I like the Brace and Butler picks this year and Wilhite last year. They came from solid college D's that were strong against the pass and the run.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Thats a very good point, I also liked the Buter and Brace pick up and think they will help this D be a top 10 D this year no doubt.

Sections
Shortcuts