Everybody knows it....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Everybody knows it....

Except a few here. The O-line is tops in the game year in and year out, talent and the best positional coach in the national football league = production.

With the majority of free agency in the books and the draft nearly a month behind us, Rotoworld.com's Evan Silva has unveiled his 2013 NFL offensive line rankings. The list highlights 2012 data from both Pro Football Focus and Football Outsiders, but also includes his own projections for the 2013 season.

There's a familiar team at the top, as Silva believes that the Patriots have the strongest offensive line in football leading into next season

2013 Offensive Line Rankings

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

You'll notice 2012 Run and Pass Block Rankings listed before each lineup projection. The first number is via Pro Football Focus. The second number is Football Outsiders' 2012 rating. While PFF and FO's data is relevant and valued, keep in mind the goal of this column is to project the effectiveness of 2013 NFL offensive lines, as opposed to rank them based solely upon what occurred last season.

The number in parentheses after each team name is that club's number of returning offensive line starters. The asterisk (*) denotes a new projected starter.

Click here for the latest NFL Player News, and be sure you're following @EvanSilva and @Rotoworld_FB on Twitter.

1. New England Patriots (5)

2012 Run Block Rankings: 2, 4
    2012 Pass Block Rankings: 9, 5

LT: Nate Solder
    LG: Logan Mankins
    C: Ryan Wendell
    RG: Marcus Cannon*
    RT: Sebastian Vollmer
    Super Sub: G/C Dan Connolly

Overview: The 49ers are better in run blocking, but New England gets a big enough edge in the pass-blocking phase to put position coach Dante Scarnecchia's unit over the top. Despite ranking fourth in the league in pass attempts last season, the Patriots allowed the fifth fewest sacks in football. Pass pro is pretty important in an increasingly pass-first NFL. The Pats didn't lose any key line members and could receive a youthful, physical injection if 2011 fifth-round steal Cannon unseats incumbent right guard Connolly. Cannon is a nimble 6-foot-5 and 360 pounds. Solder and Vollmer were both top-17 offensive tackles in Pro Football Focus' 2012 ratings, while Wendell was a top-five center. Mankins, 31, is gunning for his fifth consecutive Pro Bowl berth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Everybody knows it....

I have been vocal recently saying that I thought the O line was falling short in the biggest games against the biggest opponents. What you may have missed in my statements is that it is clear the O line is very, very good: (1) solid run blocking (in large part due to very good execution and technique taught by Dante S), (2) solid pass blocking (ditto), and (3) great depth - possibly best depth in the league.

What is overlooked by those who treat the O line with the same religious fervor as some treat TB or BB (as the case may be) is that in their excellently well rounded abilities they can fall short against THE BEST in THE BIGGEST games. When we really want to be able to run into the teeth of a D the most beastial run Ds are generally up to the challenge. When we HAVE TO pass the most dominating pass rushes push TB to the limits and reduce time for receivers to get open.

The strength of the O line is not really debatable. THey are really good. But in light of each playoff loss since 2007 (including 2 SBs) the inability to DOMINATE the way a champ does and even more than that, the inability to simply offset the opponent's defensive strength has been ALL TO PLAIN TO SEE.

So yes, it is easy to wax on abount how good the O line is because they ARE. But they have also fallen short... I don't think it is really debatable.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I have been vocal recently saying that I thought the O line was falling short in the biggest games against the biggest opponents. What you may have missed in my statements is that it is clear the O line is very, very good: (1) solid run blocking (in large part due to very good execution and technique taught by Dante S), (2) solid pass blocking (ditto), and (3) great depth - possibly best depth in the league.

What is overlooked by those who treat the O line with the same religious fervor as some treat TB or BB (as the case may be) is that in their excellently well rounded abilities they can fall short against THE BEST in THE BIGGEST games. When we really want to be able to run into the teeth of a D the most beastial run Ds are generally up to the challenge. When we HAVE TO pass the most dominating pass rushes push TB to the limits and reduce time for receivers to get open.

The strength of the O line is not really debatable. THey are really good. But in light of each playoff loss since 2007 (including 2 SBs) the inability to DOMINATE the way a champ does and even more than that, the inability to simply offset the opponent's defensive strength has been ALL TO PLAIN TO SEE.

So yes, it is easy to wax on abount how good the O line is because they ARE. But they have also fallen short... I don't think it is really debatable.

Dude, last time:

The playcalling, subbing of the RBs and our predictability on offense is why the O Line looks worse in these big games than what their quality level is.

It is not a coincidence that good front 7s with a pass rush, since the pass first, finesse shotgun spread became more prevalent in 2005 for us, that this has been a problem.

It is now 2013 with a plethora (do you know what a plethora is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik )

People whine about how our run game stinks, Maroney, BJGE, Ridley, whoever else, but it's the lack of giving our O Line a chance. We don't establish a run much in first halves, our O Line is asked to pass protect over 40 times and it's simply too much pressure to do that every week against the elite Ds in the playoffs.

Brady has got to stop audibiling and being baited by defenses into the passing formations and pass plays.

Run the ball.

this post is a PLETHORA of nonsense 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

now that matt light is done i can accept that they have a better o line.

but lets face it

this team can't block for .....  if a team can rush with 3 the oline goes stupid.  giants.  seahawks. cardinals. just to name a few

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Dude, last time:

The playcalling, subbing of the RBs and our predictability on offense is why the O Line looks worse in these big games than what their quality level is.

It is not a coincidence that good front 7s with a pass rush, since the pass first, finesse shotgun spread became more prevalent in 2005 for us, that this has been a problem.

It is now 2013 with a plethora (do you know what a plethora is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik )

People whine about how our run game stinks, Maroney, BJGE, Ridley, whoever else, but it's the lack of giving our O Line a chance. We don't establish a run much in first halves, our O Line is asked to pass protect over 40 times and it's simply too much pressure to do that every week against the elite Ds in the playoffs.

Brady has got to stop audibiling and being baited by defenses into the passing formations and pass plays.

Run the ball.

D-U-D-E:

"Last time"? REALLLLLLLY?

And your insulting tone ... well, let's just say that in a real world war of brains I stack up pretty well against some hefty real world competition. I have nothing to fear from the likes of you...

How about choosing to either say your say or dont say anything. If you have some additional element to back up a position... fine.. if it is just restating the same thing already said but adding those comments that paint you to be "a little man", then just say nothing.

Do we have to go over every play of every playoff loss? And every play of every regular season loss v very strong Ds?

Maybe you WHINE. I do not. And I am not someone who thinks we do not have a good running game. I have certainly had a strong voice in praising the O line AND the current group of RBs.

One recurring difference between you and I is that you pick one thing and blame EVERYTHING on that. You tend to overdo it when picking reasons for the Pats success too. I recall you doing the VERY SAME THING when politics is the topic. Your flaw is to paint everything as good or bad, black and white, and unchangebale. It is as if a human being (in this case football players and coaches, in other cases people making political arguements as if it is religion) can eithe rdo no right or do no wrong. THey are either always good or bad. They cannot be a reason for success one day and a reason for failure another.

You have surprised me on more than one occasion where you prove the above wrong in replying to me with a reasonable tone and reasonable logic. But then, you personify my point here - you are neither always right nor always wrong. SO IT IS with the human race (suggestion: learn that lesson).

In this case I will not argue that you cant find fault in play calling now and again. Isnt that true for EVERY TEAM and EVERY QB and EVERY OC? Just like the arguement that BB drafts well - but he gets SOME wrong - like other human beings! THe shock of it!

So - to get this back on reasonable footing (you can see I dont take the rhetoric thrown down gladly): yes there has been bad play calling at moments. But that is not why, FOR EXAMPLE, the O line had their hands full for about 54 minutes or so of 2007 SB and much of the last SB loss as well. And they were not able to PUSH AROUND front 7s like the Ravens in crunch time.

Again, I am NOT minimizing the FACT that the O line is one of the true strengths of the team. But it is not DOMINANT against THE BEST in THE BIGGEST games.

Myy criticsm is essentially that there are reasons why the O has REGULARLY underperformed in these big games (this does not let the D off the hook guys... it can be true AT THE SAME TIME... get it?). I'm sorry but it is not the play calling in as much as the play calling is not significantly - mathematically significantly - skewed from the rest of their body of work. A bad play by TB or a dropped pass by Welker can make a world of difference. So can better blocking and so a play that could have given TB, Welker, Ridley, etc, a chance to shine and make a big play gets lost as a failed, forgetable play. In short the TEAM is to blame because they have underperformed as a TEAM. But the O line COULD be ONE WAY to put the team over the top. Not the only way. They could win it with this O line. THey could also win it with TB.. and could have with Welker.... But they needed something more than they had. D... sure.. or an O that played UP to the big moment, not down.

So my "criticism" of a VERY good O line is RELATIVE.

I will not end this with the same tone you took.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This is why many of us were upset with the game plan and play calling in the 2 SB losses. We passed a 2-1 ratio against the best pass rush in the LG. Against the same Dline that was vulnerable against the run.

I don't want to turn this into the never ending story, but when you put your O-line in a tough position against the best pass rush in the LG then they will probably get beat a few times.

Over all our O-line is an undeniable strength of this team. I hope we use it like we did the 1st half of last year and punch teams in the mouth in the trenches.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I like our O-line either with Cannon or Connolly at RG.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

This is why many of us were upset with the game plan and play calling in the 2 SB losses. We passed a 2-1 ratio against the best pass rush in the LG. Against the same Dline that was vulnerable against the run.

I don't want to turn this into the never ending story, but when you put your O-line in a tough position against the best pass rush in the LG then they will probably get beat a few times.

Over all our O-line is an undeniable strength of this team. I hope we use it like we did the 1st half of last year and punch teams in the mouth in the trenches.

I do not completely disagree. But the fact is that in 2007 our running game was not as strong as now and in the last SB we had both Gronk and Mankins playing hurt and so I think they felt less confident on our ability to FORCE the run ON the D ... ie dominate.

I think last year we had good play from C and RG but not STRONG play to the point of being able to run WHENEVER we wanted. Especially v the likes of a healthy Ravens team.

So I agree to a point but disagree that it is nothing more than play calling. Not at that level in those games.

If you cant see my point at all then we will agree to disagree.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coco40038. Show Coco40038's posts

Rusty El wapo knows what a plethora is hahaha. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I do not completely disagree. But the fact is that in 2007 our running game was not as strong as now and in the last SB we had both Gronk and Mankins playing hurt and so I think they felt less confident on our ability to FORCE the run ON the D ... ie dominate.

I think last year we had good play from C and RG but not STRONG play to the point of being able to run WHENEVER we wanted. Especially v the likes of a healthy Ravens team.

So I agree to a point but disagree that it is nothing more than play calling. Not at that level in those games.

If you cant see my point at all then we will agree to disagree.

I think you make fair points about key injuries. I certainly do not blame play calling solely, but think it had a negative impact on Brady's success or lack there of in recent post season games.

I also think the run blocking the last quarter of the year was not as good, yet I would also attribute that to some poor formations. I really wanted to see Vareen or Ridley run out of passing formations, and they need to be WAY MORE utilized in the passing game. Check downs and designed screens to RB's frustrate good defense's. We only used Woody in this role, and he was limited in what he could do. I am very excited to see Vareen getting Woodheads reps. A large part of Woody's success was the opportunity of a RB left with a LBer covering him as 6 other guys are worried about our 4 receiving options. Vareen has homerun speed and I think he will play a major role in this offense next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I'd say a great QB, like Brady, will make everyone around him statistically better.  I'm sure if Sanchez was our QB those O-line stats look much worse.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I like our O-line either with Cannon or Connolly at RG.  

Do not be supprised to see Cannon at RT G and Connolly kick in to C. Thus putting the BEST 5 OL on the field, religating Wendall to back up interior OL, where he belongs.(especialy this being a contract year for Wendall)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

I'd say a great QB, like Brady, will make everyone around him statistically better.  I'm sure if Sanchez was our QB those O-line stats look much worse.

Yeah, Brady is the only good player on our team. Belichick is lucky he inherited all his good players blah blah.. We get it buddy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

I was just talking with someone this morning about that same thing. There isn't a team with as good a set of tackles as the Patriots. For all of the negative talk about their drafting nobody talks about some of the great offensive linemen they've drafted. Look at this years draft and see how much teams covet good offensive lineman, especially at the tackle position. Vollmer was a steal, I remember his rookie season when he filled in for Matt Light against the colts in Indy. Freeny didn't even get a finger on Brady as Vollmer manhandled him all game. Not bad for a rookie going against the top pass rusher at the time. Soldier, another solid pick. He played at pro bowl level last year and is only getting better. Great drafting by Belichick and great coaching on the part of Dante. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Solder is imo one of the better young LTs in the NFL.  He is only going to get better and he is already quite good.  Vollmer is imo the best RT in the NFL for the reasons I've stated in other threads.  Mankins is an all-pro level guard when healthy.  Those 3 guys alone make our line one of the better lines in the NFL and its not like Wendell and Connolly are JAGs.  We have imo one of the best O-line coaches in NFL history.  These statistics do not surprise me. 

As for their performance in the last 2 SBs the 2007 line was made up of a different group of guys and was going up against 3 all pro level guys one of whom is a lock for the HoF so I don't see how that is relevant to the current group.

The 2011 line was plagued with injuries.  Mankins had a torn ACL and Vollmer had a bad back.  And obviously having your best blocking TE hobbled doesn't help either.

The line has been and will continue to be one of the stronger units on the team.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

I thought the O Line in SB 46 was quite good considering they subbed in Woodhead for BJGE after the first drive out of halftime.

Throwing at the rate, that many times in a row, so predictably so, makes it very tough on any O Line.

Overall, the O Line in SB 46 was good and certainly good enough to walk away with rings on their fingers.

It's getting pretty old watching some scramble around blaming everything but the one thing that needs to change.

What's next, Mesko isn't a good punter? lmao

I agree 100%. Throwing that many times against a great pass rush like the Giants had was a big mistake. They spent the entire game with ears pinned back and going for Brady. Even when they couldn't sack him someone was hitting him and knocking Brady to the turf. They played right into the Giants strength. I'd rather have 3 straight runs for 8 yards, sooner or later that's going to open up the offense. Patience is the key.  I don't claim to be any coach but in my opinion they should have let the o-line tee off on some of those pass rushers and keep them honest. While not as flashy it would have been more effective.. Just my opinion here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Ever notice that the offensive linemen rarely have baggage and are usually some of the smartest guys on the team. Most of them have their ego's in check too. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Your standards are too high. Being the best in the NFL isn't good enough because they don't DOMINATE in super bowls. The days of domination in the NFL are over.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Dude, last time:

Run the ball.

D-U-D-E:

"Last time"? REALLLLLLLY?

And your insulting tone ... well, let's just say that in a real world war of brains I stack up pretty well against some hefty real world competition. I have nothing to fear from the likes of you...

How about choosing to either say your say or dont say anything. If you have some additional element to back up a position... fine.. if it is just restating the same thing already said but adding those comments that paint you to be "a little man", then just say nothing.

Do we have to go over every play of every playoff loss? And every play of every regular season loss v very strong Ds?

Maybe you WHINE. I do not. And I am not someone who thinks we do not have a good running game. I have certainly had a strong voice in praising the O line AND the current group of RBs.

One recurring difference between you and I is that you pick one thing and blame EVERYTHING on that. You tend to overdo it when picking reasons for the Pats success too. I recall you doing the VERY SAME THING when politics is the topic. Your flaw is to paint everything as good or bad, black and white, and unchangebale. It is as if a human being (in this case football players and coaches, in other cases people making political arguements as if it is religion) can eithe rdo no right or do no wrong. THey are either always good or bad. They cannot be a reason for success one day and a reason for failure another.

You have surprised me on more than one occasion where you prove the above wrong in replying to me with a reasonable tone and reasonable logic. But then, you personify my point here - you are neither always right nor always wrong. SO IT IS with the human race (suggestion: learn that lesson).

In this case I will not argue that you cant find fault in play calling now and again. Isnt that true for EVERY TEAM and EVERY QB and EVERY OC? Just like the arguement that BB drafts well - but he gets SOME wrong - like other human beings! THe shock of it!

So - to get this back on reasonable footing (you can see I dont take the rhetoric thrown down gladly): yes there has been bad play calling at moments. But that is not why, FOR EXAMPLE, the O line had their hands full for about 54 minutes or so of 2007 SB and much of the last SB loss as well. And they were not able to PUSH AROUND front 7s like the Ravens in crunch time.

Again, I am NOT minimizing the FACT that the O line is one of the true strengths of the team. But it is not DOMINANT against THE BEST in THE BIGGEST games.

Myy criticsm is essentially that there are reasons why the O has REGULARLY underperformed in these big games (this does not let the D off the hook guys... it can be true AT THE SAME TIME... get it?). I'm sorry but it is not the play calling in as much as the play calling is not significantly - mathematically significantly - skewed from the rest of their body of work. A bad play by TB or a dropped pass by Welker can make a world of difference. So can better blocking and so a play that could have given TB, Welker, Ridley, etc, a chance to shine and make a big play gets lost as a failed, forgetable play. In short the TEAM is to blame because they have underperformed as a TEAM. But the O line COULD be ONE WAY to put the team over the top. Not the only way. They could win it with this O line. THey could also win it with TB.. and could have with Welker.... But they needed something more than they had. D... sure.. or an O that played UP to the big moment, not down.

So my "criticism" of a VERY good O line is RELATIVE.

I will not end this with the same tone you took.

POST OF THE DAY...OF THE MONTH..OF THE YEAR EVEN!!

(stands and applauds)