Everyone, sit back and relax.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Everyone, sit back and relax.

I've been reading a lot of giddy, school girl, talk about trading our backup QB's for high draft picks.

Please remember this is the NFL and injury's will happen even to Tom Brady.  So let's not be in such a rush to deal away what could be a very capable backup who at some point we may need in order to win games.  A draft pick guarantees nothing.  A good backup on a great team guarantees wins.

Let's wait a year and see how thing develop.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Everyone, sit back and relax.

AGREED!!

This was one game! One PRESEASON game.  A game for the most part about most second and third string players playing against other second and third string players.  Sure the Pats qb's and others looked good but they were not playing against the elite of the NFL on Thursday night.  You really can't get too excited to think a lot of these guys would have this type of success they had playing against the best of the best.

Sure, it looks like we have some really good backup qb's but we need them for insurance, and with a promising rookie qb we have a great opportunity to develop him for the future.  I really think BB keeps Hoyer for good Matt Cassel like insurance and continues to develop the rookie.  Pats will hold on to both guys for the season and rightfully so.  Lets have this discussion next season.

And keep things in perspective, it was one PRESEASON game against the Jags for crying out loud.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Good post. Cassel had a good year when he filled in for Brady and he only garnered a 2nd round pick, and that was WITH the pairing of Mike Vrabel. Hoyer has been good when he has filled in, but he has not had a full year of starting in the League under his belt like Cassel did. I saw a bogus thread earlier that said we could get a 1st rounder for Hoyer alone. Please, enough with the nonsense. I think in the very unfortunate circumstance that Tom goes down that Hoyer could fill in and be a servicable QB and I think he could even have a decent career as a starter, but before he actually proves that he can play at a high level in the league as a starter, let's stop with the shenanigans of how much we could get back from him through a trade.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Im glad to see and read that some of us are on the same realistic page about this.  It kills me to see a bunch of threads on here about how great the Pats looked after one preseason game against the Jags.  It was great to see that the Pats have some deep talent that will help during the season but people are making it out like we are super bowl bound off of this one preseason game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Indeed.

And Mallet has played but one game against 3rd stringers, second team and practice squad. He hasn't even proven what Hoyer has.

The problem is that he really isn't tradeable yet, but Hoyer is. At the same time, NE probably is not comfortable going into a season with Mallet as the sole backup, so trading Hoyer is off the table.

I think the one thing, though, that bears watching is that Hoyer is a FA after the season. Having a great backup ... cool. Having him get away or risking a tag and trade (are those legal in the new CBA?) seems like something you don't want.

Not that I think he would take it, but if I were GM I would be trying to extend his contract. For security and for future tradeability. And I would be getting Mallet any reps I can so I could evaluate if he is as good as Hoyer.

Over the long haul, though, I think one of them gets traded.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone, sit back and relax.:
    [QUOTE]Indeed. And Mallet has played but one game against 3rd stringers, second team and practice squad. He hasn't even proven what Hoyer has. The problem is that he really isn't tradeable yet, but Hoyer is. At the same time, NE probably is not comfortable going into a season with Mallet as the sole backup, so trading Hoyer is off the table. I think the one thing, though, that bears watching is that Hoyer is a FA after the season. Having a great backup ... cool. Having him get away or risking a tag and trade (are those legal in the new CBA?) seems like something you don't want. Not that I think he would take it, but if I were GM I would be trying to extend his contract. For security and for future tradeability. And I would be getting Mallet any reps I can so I could evaluate if he is as good as Hoyer. Over the long haul, though, I think one of them gets traded.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Let's not have a repeat of the Cassell situation where FA was looming and the Pats had no leverage.  They've got to lock up Hoyer longer;  not because of the preseason game, but simply because you must have a somewhat experienced backup for Brady.

I do hope that BB will give some regular season reps (4th quarter blowouts) to the backups this year.  In the past it has pretty much been TB right to the final knee.  This can only help in seeing what you have, and hopefully enhance someone's trade value down the road.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i know it was only preseason but i am really looking forward to seeing our new and improved OLB/DE spot in combination with wilfork and haynesworth.  anderson and moore look good. add in carter and cunningham and it could look pretty amazing on our line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

If... IF... Mallet is able to convince the coaching staff he "gets it" the same way they felt Hoyer "got it" his rookie year.... AND... if Mallet shows quite a bit of improvement and maturity in this system... AND... IF.. IF Hoyer has some special moments during preseason.... I would not be surprised (not expecting this but if ALL the above plays out then possible) if they trade Hoyer before the season to a team like Seattle, Oakland, (I would say Denver but they must feel locked in to their already bad decisions), SF. Not Miami because they are in Division but that would otherwise be a big possibilty. If that happens I would expect a draft pick (#2) or a player (LB, WR, DE).

I do not expect this but it frees up a space on the roster and there is a lot of competition. It adds long term value. I could even see them do the sort of thing they did with Seymour and get a higher pick another year out (so maybe a #1 pick in 2013).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Everyone, sit back and relax.:
    [QUOTE]I've been reading a lot of giddy, school girl, talk about trading our backup QB's for high draft picks. Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Good point. Lets see how everything plays out. Hoyer woud still not start on any team yet unless they weere desperate. He'd have to have a year like matt cassel had when TB went down with the injury.

And Mallet isn't going anywhere. Big Texwho is now TB's understudy is our future QB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

i agree with that. a good backup could save a season. most teams are done if their starter is injured. in 2008 we had a good backup in cassell and won 11 games, with a good defense that could go a long way. we have pleanty of draft picks and with all of the young talent on the team its tough to find a roster spot. hold on to hoyer for now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LawDawg94. Show LawDawg94's posts

I think everyone here has good points...  I think realistically speaking, this is what I think would happen.  Hoyer will be a restricted FA next year, so no need to rush anything.  NE would give him a 1st rd tender and that would probably cost NE about 3 mil?  That's a good price for a capable back up QB.  If no team wants him, then NE gets to keep a good back up QB for a decent price.  If a team is high on Hoyer, then would offer him more money and NE get a first round pick.  Win-Win situation for NE.  That's what I think will happen.  I think NE is high on Mallet being a capable back up. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickforPresident. Show BelichickforPresident's posts

Yep.  Muuuch to early to say anything smart about Hoyer or Mallet.  Kinda like ruminating on what you would do with a winning lottery ticket.  Ah, first things first.  But it is fun to dream.  If both QBs play close to perfect ball for another couple games . . . maybe I'll start thinking about a potential trade.  That being said, trimming the QB ranks from 3 to 2 could open a spot at another very tight position, like WR or D-line or . . . .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Everyone, sit back and relax.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Everyone, sit back and relax. : Agreed. Let's not have a repeat of the Cassell situation where FA was looming and the Pats had no leverage.  They've got to lock up Hoyer longer;  not because of the preseason game, but simply because you must have a somewhat experienced backup for Brady. Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

great discussion here guys

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Mallett isn't going anywhere, but if BB was willing to go into a season with Hoyer, a rookie UDFA, as his only backup QB in 2009, why wouldn't he be willing to go into 2011 with Mallett, a third round pick who outplayed the 10th player taken, Gabbert, as his only backup QB?

The final cut down is going to be harder this year.  I can see Coach B going with two QBs on the roster and some unknown on the practice squad.  Ii am not saying it is a lock, but it could easily happen.