Exactly what is meant when one is labeled as a 'homer?'

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Exactly what is meant when one is labeled as a 'homer?'

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, 1st I consider the source. If guys are calling  me a homer and their entire purpose on this board is attacking this Patriots team by saying they have no talent, their defense sucks, BB doesn't know how to build teams(so funny to look at that statement in print) etc.... then I must he doing something right as I am a fan of the N.E Patriots and we have only missed the playoffs twice in 13 years.

Also, if you look at this team objectively, you see a team that under went a defensive rebuild from 2009 to 2012. Last year and this year the Defense turned a major corner even though they struggled the last games of the season(as did the offense and their 15 ppg) .

The team is loaded with top round picks, and is a healthy off season away from a return to the SB in my eyes. Considering they were 1 game away with the rash of injuries and lack of cohesion on offense I would say that is not a homer point of view but a reality.

This is a good football team, and it is great to be a Patriot fan.

[/QUOTE]

cept they would have won that one game and the one before that and the 2 near misses, if they only ran more. RIGHT???????

Bad draft picks and bad FA signings and a virtually worthless D for the past 5 years or so, don't matter.  Run, RUn, Run!

You do realize that they probably would have scored higher than 15pp if they 12 possessions in those games, instead of the 7 or 8, like a normal NFL game right?

Right????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I wouldn't consider myself a homer, but sometimes I will admit I have blind faith in the team. 

Examples of me being a homer: I seem to like Mayo & Ridley more than anyone else on here I think. I think mayo is under rated and Ridley is a very solid RB minus fumbles. 

Examples of not being one: Kyle Arrington is over paid and nnot good (some disagree), DMC isn't a good enough play maker to be a top safety, he's solid though. Gregory wouldn't make college teams starting lineups. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

A person who can't take any criticism of their team whatsoever is a homer. These folks just can't find a single flaw in their teams even if there are many.

A person who is never happy about their team is a chronic whiner. They cry & moan even when their team wins. They try and say they are being "objective", but it's hard to be objective if all you do is complain. There's a fine line between having concern with potential issues, and crying like the sky is falling.

A person who blames everthing on Brady is an idiot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from HomerHead. Show HomerHead's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Impossible considering my criticisms of some players that have come through here.  I also back up my premises with facts within the analysis.

[/QUOTE]

me and you are homer brothers. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

A homer is anyone who can accept the fact that your team is not going to win the championship every year, who knows that part of the fun of being a fan is that your team loses sometimes, who actually knows that they DON'T know as much about constructing a team or a game plan as the actual gm and coaching staff does, and doesn't feel the need to constantly throw the head coach, gm, or players under the bus every time the team loses. I am a homer. Thats me on the right 3 weeks ago at Mile High...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HomerHead. Show HomerHead's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

A homer is anyone who can accept the fact that your team is not going to win the championship every year, who knows that part of the fun of being a fan is that your team loses sometimes, who actually knows that they DON'T know as much about constructing a team or a game plan as the actual gm and coaching staff does, and doesn't feel the need to constantly throw the head coach, gm, or players under the bus every time the team loses. I am a homer. Thats me on the right 3 weeks ago at Mile High...

[/QUOTE]

You are not a true Homer!  We would win all the time if it wasn't someone else fault.  We are built to win every game and every championship.  Unless our terrible QB calls the wrong plays or the refs are in on the Goodell conspiracy. We have the best coach/gm of all time.  We never really lose, Goodell just wants you to think we do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Think when someomes judgment about subjective stuff such as 

-clean hit / dirty hit

-ref calls

-moral standing of team practives vs other teams

-opinion of front office moves

is severly lopsided and distorted in favor of their adopted team

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this, when they are so blind loyal they can't see fault in anything the team does good or bad. Also one that faults others for taking a more critical opinion on certain moves and basically believe that the current way is the only way and there is no way to improve it because it's the right way. Loyality isn't being a homer, blind loyality where you are questioning another fans loyality because they don't agree with a move or think there was a better way to do something though is a homer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Fred Smerlas PERIOD - Every year Pats will go 16-0, Belichick can never go wrong, and Brady never made a mistake.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Being a homer is OK if you're aware of it.

Being a blind homer is not OK.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Being a homer is OK if you're aware of it.

Being a blind homer is not OK.   

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm truly curious about this.  What is the criteria for labeling someone a homer?  Is it someone who supports any and every decision made by the GM/HC?  Or is it someone who simply doesn't agree with certain posters' solutions?   Or is there some other criteria?  I really don't know and since I'm often labeled as one I'd like to understand.  Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

First, take the fandom spectrum from Rusty to Babe as if it were a straight line. 

The absolute middle point between them would be a perfectly rational fan. 

Using that central point then mark points halfway between the Rusty and Babe extremes in each respective direction.  Then, by shading from those points inward (toward the center), the shaded area is defined as a generally rational fan (NOT A HOMER).  

The unshaded rest of the line spectrum toward the Rusty and Babe extremes would be labeled as an irrational fan, i.e.  HOMERS. 

Take this theory for what its worth but there is some science behind it.  Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to BostonSportsFan111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

*applause* +1 good post and great pic!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

A person that was a fan 15-30 years ago is now called a homer. You believe that your team is the best or trying hard to be the best. You believe the people in the front office of the team you root for knows more about football in general and the team in particular than any poster or media talking head. You believe not every has been, washed up, superstar or near superstar should be considered for signing to the 53 man roster for outrageous amonts of money. You don't believe a first or second year player can be a bust. And you believe the players on the team are the best players the team could get that fit the scheme and cap considerations.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

You guys are putting way to much thought into this. It is obvious that the only way to become a true "homer" is to have Patriot footie pajamas and a pats snuggie.... anyone know where i can get these items?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm truly curious about this.  What is the criteria for labeling someone a homer?  Is it someone who supports any and every decision made by the GM/HC?  Or is it someone who simply doesn't agree with certain posters' solutions?   Or is there some other criteria?  I really don't know and since I'm often labeled as one I'd like to understand.  Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

It's simple atj, a homer is a person incapable of criticism to the team, they don't/won't give an objective analysis of any player, coach, trade, draft pick, or employee of the team. They get highly offended and feel it's their job to police the board of anyone that has an opinion that is honest, but perceived as negative. They praise the players on this team that aren't performing well and will make excuses for those players until they are cut, traded or simply allowed to leave without a contract offer...then they will be honest and tell you how terrible that player was.

Do you watch the Walking Dead? Same thing! Except picture those mindless zombies wearing pink Patriot hats and Patrick Chung jersys, wandering the earth with the sole purpose to fall off a cliff with hopes Bill Belichick will yell to them on the way down, "don't worry! you want end up in salary cap hell!".

That's pretty much it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

It's simple atj, a homer is a person incapable of criticism to the team, they don't/won't give an objective analysis of any player, coach, trade, draft pick, or employee of the team. They get highly offended and feel it's their job to police the board of anyone that has an opinion that is honest, but perceived as negative. They praise the players on this team that aren't performing well and will make excuses for those players until they are cut, traded or simply allowed to leave without a contract offer...then they will be honest and tell you how terrible that player was.

Do you watch the Walking Dead? Same thing! Except picture those mindless zombies wearing pink Patriot hats and Patrick Chung jersys, wandering the earth with the sole purpose to fall off a cliff with hopes Bill Belichick will yell to them on the way down, "don't worry! you want end up in salary cap hell!".

That's pretty much it.

There are people on this board who get called homers that don't meet that criteria.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It's part of one's arguement these days.  A homer on this board means you're blind, know nothing about football and are probably stupid because you don't agree with me.  That is what people who use it are really telling you.  It is said to put you in your place.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

mighty is the poster child homer lol.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to CablesWyndBairn's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it's when one poster sees his/her viewpoints as more valid than your own and when you make a counterpoint you're labled as a homer for not seeing things their way.   At least that's how it plays out on this board.  Too many people see one side of the coin and can't accept that for as much insight is intheir point, other people bring valid points too.  We're all fans, no one in this place draws a paycheck making personnel decisions or drawing up plays/schemes for a living. 

[/QUOTE]

It's not about simply disagreeing. It's about never being willing to criticize aspects of your own team due to prejudice.

[/QUOTE]

Babe, I know what you're saying, and criticising certain aspects of your team is fine. But it's clear to me that a lot of us can't agree where BB fits in the panthoen of GMs, how important the running game is or whether guys like Mayo or Ridley s*ck or are good players.  Arguments about these topics always lead to being called "homer" or "troll", depending where your opinion lies.  So yes, it is about arguing because what you (not you personally) argue is a valid criticism is apt to be seen as wrong by others.  Most threads follow this exact pattern.  If you can't agree with me here, you are a troll!  (Just kidding!)

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you in general.

But the homer issue has to do with the frequency of the kool-aide guzzling. If you're wearing those rose colored glasses 90% of the time, you're a super-homer.

As far as the run debate, the champions of that cause just never produce any legitimate facts to back the claim up. And meanwhile, they live a double life, claiming BB is a great coach, yet sneakily questioning his way of running the team. And Rusty takes it to such an absurd length that he claims Brady and (McD, O'B, pick your OC) are simply defying BB's wishes and BB is somehow too timid to foil their plot. It's laughable.

Pats fans are the most hated for a reason. And that reason is because of their blind loyalty (homerism). But then New Englanders, while not being notoriously friendly people, are much more loyal than most of the rest of the country.

C'mon, is it that hard to admit BB was a knucklehead for keeping spygate going after the league warned everybody to stop? People outside look at the "we did nothing wrong because everybody else did it" defense and just think we're dishonest jerks for the effort and probably judge the team more harshly because of it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Just so you know man, I dont consider you a homer. You know your stuff. You may give the team/coach the benefit of the doubt, but you arent a homer. You have made the observation that our D can get better.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxrockursox. Show soxrockursox's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You guys are putting way to much thought into this. It is obvious that the only way to become a true "homer" is to have Patriot footie pajamas and a pats snuggie.... anyone know where i can get these items?

[/QUOTE]

Hey hey hey dont knock the Patroit footie pajamas I cant find any .Do you know were I can get some?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much it.

[/QUOTE]

Oh my god. That's Jints!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

To me a homer is someone who can only see the world through the lens of their own team's imagined superiority. The problem comes in when they are unable to admit this about themselves and fail to understand how everything they say is bent through their homer lens. This is a huge problem when they attempt to make "logical arguments" as their logic is always warped in ways they can't begin to see for themselves. 

Our Denver trolls fit this description, as do UD6, Jules Winfield and Jints. Watch them interact and you'll see vintage homerism in action. 

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with Pats homers in a Pats forum. It's helpful if they understand this about themselves but even if they don't, this is their forum. I like Pats homers better than Belichick homers and Brady homers because they tend to be life long fans with long memories of losing seasons prior to this last decade. In my experience the Belichick homers in this forum are the ones toughest to interact with because of how simplistically they view the world and how angry they get when their prince is criticized. Brady homers tend to focus on Brady on the field whereas for a Belichick homer, how he manouvers the cap and jockeys for position in the draft is almost an erotic experience and alarmingly almost considered a substitute for winning on the field.