Excellent Article on Pats' Role in the AH Situation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Excellent Article on Pats' Role in the AH Situation

In response to NedBraden's comment:

In response to rkarp's comment:

[QUOTE]

I posted exactly one year ago to almost the day, that I saw AH in a club in NYC, private party, public club, smoking pot in public hanging with a few other guys who were bothering numerous other partiers. 

Many were taking pictures and videos on their phones. For the Pats to plead hey didn't know IMO is a crock. Too many other people knew. 

When I posted one year ago, of course I was asked for a link. No links, as I was at the party, but not taking pictures. Again, many were. 

Are you seriously this stupid?  What does "smoking pot in public" have to do with someone murdering someone?

I've spoked pot in public NUMEROUS times at concerts, or wherever I so chose to do so. It's a plant that is about to become legal nationwide because it's ridiculously long overdue and could have incredible economic impact for farmers, job seeker, entrepreneurs, and clearly, it's an untapped extra revenue stream for states.

We don't care if you saw Mickey Mouse smoking pot at some party.   This is your problem here. You're like some little giddy school girl with a secret who comes in here to try to impress people or something.

Jay Shizzles does the same thing with his "I smoked up with JR Redmond and sold weed to Tully Banta Cain.

No one is impressed.  No one cares.

Weed is everywhere and many professional and successful smoke it. Get over it. It's not some taboo thing to many us.

Good grief. The education level from you is so low it's unreal. You sure you're a 50 something with an MBA from Harvard? I don't think so, RKrap.

Here is a guy who smokes weed:  Jim Lampley. Who would have thunk it, huh? Raging pothead.  Loves it.  I know because I know.  But, you don't see my coming on here trying to act like I have some National Enquirer info about it. Who cares?

Pothead = Future Murderer?

Seriously?  This is your premise?

[/QUOTE]

when you boorishly stand up in favor of Pats mistakes, does that make you a better fan than the rest of us? Are we trolls for thinking the Pats should have made smarter decisions and done more intense background checks? Is your being banned for attacking posts over 20 times some one elses fault?

the team should have done a better job of back ground checking before resigning the guy. How does anyone argue against this? 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I posted exactly one year ago to almost the day, that I saw AH in a club in NYC, private party, public club, smoking pot in public hanging with a few other guys who were bothering numerous other partiers. 

Many were taking pictures and videos on their phones. For the Pats to plead hey didn't know IMO is a crock. Too many other people knew. 

When I posted one year ago, of course I was asked for a link. No links, as I was at the party, but not taking pictures. Again, many were. 

Are you seriously this stupid?  What does "smoking pot in public" have to do with someone murdering someone?

I've spoked pot in public NUMEROUS times at concerts, or wherever I so chose to do so. It's a plant that is about to become legal nationwide because it's ridiculously long overdue and could have incredible economic impact for farmers, job seeker, entrepreneurs, and clearly, it's an untapped extra revenue stream for states.

We don't care if you saw Mickey Mouse smoking pot at some party.   This is your problem here. You're like some little giddy school girl with a secret who comes in here to try to impress people or something.

Jay Shizzles does the same thing with his "I smoked up with JR Redmond and sold weed to Tully Banta Cain.

No one is impressed.  No one cares.

Weed is everywhere and many professional and successful smoke it. Get over it. It's not some taboo thing to many us.

Good grief. The education level from you is so low it's unreal. You sure you're a 50 something with an MBA from Harvard? I don't think so, RKrap.

Here is a guy who smokes weed:  Jim Lampley. Who would have thunk it, huh? Raging pothead.  Loves it.  I know because I know.  But, you don't see my coming on here trying to act like I have some National Enquirer info about it. Who cares?

Pothead = Future Murderer?

Seriously?  This is your premise?

Hey, Name dropper. I never tried to be cool by saying anything idiiot!  This is why you are a fraud here. You try to make me out to be some criminal for years now because I pointed out a lot of nfl players smoke. You call me a "drug" Dealer, but when needing to make an argument(which is dailly) you all of a sudden realize W eed is no big deal and its gonna be nationally legal?? BUT, In regards to me, Im a drop out, drug dealing gang banger?!?!  You are a Fraudf!  Since you have made this post for all to see, can you stop dropping my name now in every post like some obsessed, stalker!  I mean really, dude. Its the OFF season. They call it that for a reason. Take a Break!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

I don't think that pothead= murderer was OG's premise. He was stating that he himself observed questionable behavior by Hernandez, which he assumed that many others should have observed as well, including Pats administration. No matter how you spin it, Hernandez as a public figure was out publically performing illegal acts (whether you agree or disagree with the law), which could easily argued as reckless or immature. Where OG lost me was how Pats administration would know of that. If they aren't following him around on weekend nights, don't have people reporting his behavior to them (like yourself or the media), then his actions would certainly escape their eye.

It'd be a gross invasion of privacy to send someone around and monitor him 24/7, no matter what financial investment they make on him. Face it, if the Pats approached him and said they'd only extend him if he agreed to be monitored for X amount of time, he'd have a few options: 1. Tell them to shove it and wait for the next suitor who inevitably wouldn't require that provision, or 2. Lay low for that period, put on a good face, and take his money, and then revert back to old ways.

In all, sure he was probably acting recklessly, but to assume that the Pats administration knew of it is a bit of a leap. Additionally, expecting them to run a background check or monitor him like he's a child would be just as big a leap, if not much bigger. They took a calculated decision, it didn't pay off as they expected, so nothing to do but move on and take chances elsewhere.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

2 issues here. Drafting a risky player mid round imo is worth the gamble. your financial losses with a mid round cut are not great.

Generally agree, though you can question a strategy that is built around trading down to middle and lower rounds where quality often comes with greater risk than it does in higher rounds. 

resigning a risky player to a large contract with out due dilligence is unforgivable. Kraft is seething at the daily negative publicity. The info I have read is the cap hit next year is $7.5.

I think the Pats really felt they were out of the woods with Hernandez.  I think he was leading a double life.  I don't think you can really blame the Pats for this mistake.  I think Hernandez hid his behaviour well, at least the more extreme aspects of it. 

Rusty can side step how could anyone have known? Many, many did. Too many whispers and flags.

Were the "flags" about anything nearly as serious as murder? I assume the Pats suspected he still smoked pot but didn't think that was too big an issue (plenty of players take drugs and we all know it).  Being a jerk to staff in a bar is unattractive, but not necessarily a sign someone is a killer.  If he had committed assault or another violent crime, then I would expect the Pats to do their due diligence before signing him.  But as far as I can tell, nothing that he did that was known was more than what you might expect from a prickly guy with a few too many drinks in him.  

My post on seeing AH was that if I saw this type of behavior, wouldn't the team have knowledge? Smoking pot doesnt make this guy a murderer. Smoking pot in public and bullying patrons imo should force the Pats into a major character check of this guy. Obviously not done

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

[QUOTE]

2 issues here. Drafting a risky player mid round imo is worth the gamble. your financial losses with a mid round cut are not great.

Generally agree, though you can question a strategy that is built around trading down to middle and lower rounds where quality often comes with greater risk than it does in higher rounds. 

resigning a risky player to a large contract with out due dilligence is unforgivable. Kraft is seething at the daily negative publicity. The info I have read is the cap hit next year is $7.5.

I think the Pats really felt they were out of the woods with Hernandez.  I think he was leading a double life.  I don't think you can really blame the Pats for this mistake.  I think Hernandez hid his behaviour well, at least the more extreme aspects of it. 

Rusty can side step how could anyone have known? Many, many did. Too many whispers and flags.

Were the "flags" about anything nearly as serious as murder? I assume the Pats suspected he still smoked pot but didn't think that was too big an issue (plenty of players take drugs and we all know it).  Being a jerk to staff in a bar is unattractive, but not necessarily a sign someone is a killer.  If he had committed assault or another violent crime, then I would expect the Pats to do their due diligence before signing him.  But as far as I can tell, nothing that he did that was known was more than what you might expect from a prickly guy with a few too many drinks in him.  

My post on seeing AH was that if I saw this type of behavior, wouldn't the team have knowledge? Smoking pot doesnt make this guy a murderer. Smoking pot in public and bullying patrons imo should force the Pats into a major character check of this guy. Obviously not done

[/QUOTE]

the team said it knew about the situation in Fla..although it was after the contract was signed. If they knew of that, did they know of the gun under the car in Providence, even though the police were unsure who put it there?  Did they know about the fights at Gentlemans Club in Providence?

If you are putting $40 million on a guy...dont you check these things thru? Did the Pats check him out thoroughly? If they did, did they know of these issues and over look them?

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JMUFranco. Show JMUFranco's posts

I too am curious about where the Pats said they were aware of the past troubles. Not saying at all that they were or weren't aware or that they did or didn't publically announce that, just didn't recall reading it anywhere. I'd be curious to know the extent of their knowledge, too, but I doubt with them being so notoriously tight-lipped that we'll ever truly know.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

Every time something like this happens the seat-of-the-pants GMs and couch potato pscychotherapists come out of the woodwork.

*The guy's character profile shows this

*When he was in pre-school he did that

*His great-uncle's brother-in-law was a bookie in Schmucatelliville

*Obviously the Pats didn't do their homework (I flippin love that one)

The AH pick was a known risk going in.  To this degree?  Of course not.  But I too specifically recall there being absolutely no negative nancies when they locked up AH to that contract extension either on this board or in the media in general.

I found the article reasoned and objective.  Time to stop the second-guessing on this tragedy.

Nope..not buying your arguement...being a negative nancy when you have someone who's a mass murder (most likely) is much, much different than someone who is widely known to smoke peace weed and regularly has a few homies visit him at school.....the dude got out of a car after shanghighing him with a couple of thug henchmen and casually pumped the victim full of 5 rounds...that's kinda extreme behavior in my book. All the other factors you give examples of, I agree, are meanlingness drivel. And yes in retrospect all things seem clear.

Could THAT behavior have been predicted?...nope...BUT, it is well known now, AS IT WAS THEN to those in the know in scouting circles, that the kid was bad news...why didn't WE know that? Why didn't that make a difference? Who is responsible for THAT decision....You're in business, you know that not everything can be known, but you also know when something screws up in a catastrophic way, someone has to pay....there has to be a change in philosophy down in Foxboro....

With all due respect, I take it you were opposed to the Hernandez pick at the time he was drafted and were highly vociferous in your objections to the contract extension?  Just asking.

Well known in scouting circle?  Really? I haven't seen anything from anyone in 'scouting circles' that says this.  Can you point me to it?  Appeciate it if you would.

Urban Meyer vouched for AH.  That's a pretty strong endorsment by a guy who is a pretty highly regarded college coach.  That would seem to carry a lot of weight.  

Apart from knowing now what no one else seems to have known then where were the red flags that the Pats organization missed?

Oh, and again with all due respect, I really couldn't care less if you buy my point of view or not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

I have no problem with the Patriots drafting Hernandez.  Every team takes risks with players and every team has players with issues backgrounds.  There is no way anyone could have predicted what just happened.  However I agree with MelWitt in that since it was well known that AH was trouble in the scouting community the Patriots should have done their due diligence before signing him to the extention.  The Patriots could easily have hired a private investigator to tail him for a few weeks and they probably would have seen that he was up to no good.  Matt Light even came out and said he never stood for what AH was about.  That was before the contract.  The Red Sox tailed Carl Crawford before giving him a big contract.  Unfortunately it didn't help determine how terrible he would be as a player but he wasn't getting into trouble off the field.

My point is if you have a high risk player you have to be more diligent and cover all your bases.  Maybe they did but I doubt it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

In response to walton's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I disagree with all the viewpoints on this idea of "what the Patriots" could have done or what any professional team can do..............if they choose. Hire a private investigator and follow Hernandez around 24 hours a day for a month if you wanna know what he's doing. Don't listen to his former coach or someone you think "know's him" or anything else. Be intrusive. If you're gonna put 40 million dollars into a human being {in whatever walk of life} that might be then you have every right to spy on him in my opinion............The Yankees may offer Robinson Cano a 150 million dollar contract for 6 years going forward. There is some question of possible steroid use with the Florida situation. Fine. Follow him around 24 hrs a day for six weeks. Talk to EVERYONE. Investigate everything. This idea that "how would they know," is absurd. It wouldn't have been THAT HARD to find out what Hernandez was up too. Not just the Patriots. I'm amazed at how little pro franchises KNOW about what their players are really "up too." It boggles my mind. Give me a name. Pay me good money. I'll find out what they up too. Promise you.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did. Maybe Hern laid low knowing his deal was expiring and he needed to earn a new one?

They were watching closely with the media presence with Tebow working out in Columbus, OH, which partly tied into why they brought him in for an extended workout. Regardless how they use him, if he even makes the team, they did investigate into that situation.

All this over-analysis or speculation is becoming a tad silly at this point. What's done is done.

There is no way NE wasn't comfortable in investing in Hernandez if Kraft signed off on that contract.  It could very well be that he kept away from the gang stuff for a while now and somehow got sucked back in just recently, whether it be due to ego, immaturity, stupidity, bankrolling a regional drug operation, etc. Or, really, all of the above.

Again, there were NO reports  of him acting strangely, behaving poorly, anything, etc, for 3 seasons here.

There is really no point in over-analyzing the woulda, coulda, shoulda angle.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe Ned. Regardless though the Patriots {whether it is fair or not} are going to be living with this for a long time. It isn't like in the heat of passion Hernandez strangled his girlfriend or took a tire iron and beat someone with it. It LOOKS like he orchestrated the murder of one man, possibly shot another man's eye out, and was perhaps involved {likely IMO} in a murder of two young men at a stop light in Boston. On a scale of 1-10 this series of revelations is a 50. I'm sure Kraft and Belichek and some of his teammates {those with half a brain} are "haunted" by it. Not that they feel responsible but they must wonder how this monster? lived and worked amongst them for three years and though they may have known he wasn't part of the "Ozzie and Harriet" crowd they certainly didn't seem to know he was #1 a gang banger and #2 a football player.

I worked in the mental health/substance abuse field as a counselor for 25 years. I tend to analyze things. I drank alot at one time. I was in jail {briefly} a few times after OUI's, etc. Jail is no fun. The mattress  stinks. The noise. The food is like eating cardboard. You're in the middle of something and you have to stop what you're doing for a "head count." It is awful regardless of what people might say. Aaron Hernandez might not be doing it now but at some point he is gonna wonder "how did I get here from there?" The moment when the reality dawns on him. Daunting.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Rusty can side step how could anyone have known? Many, many did. Too many whispers and flags. My post on seeing AH was that if I saw this type of behavior, wouldn't the team have knowledge? Smoking pot doesnt make this guy a murderer. Smoking pot in public and bullying patrons imo should force the Pats into a major character check of this guy. Obviously not done

So can you please provide one source of info that you claim so many people out there knew of this murder risk? If so many people knew how bad of a person AH was, then please show me (ONE REPORT) in the last 3 years about how bad AH was. Just one.

Reality is that for 3 years, NOBODY said anything bad about the guy...FACT. On top of that, there isn't one single person that wasn't on board and praising the extension. Every sports reporter around was saying what a great move it was. So if what you are saying is correct, then it should be easy for you to show us ONE report that was negative on extending AH for 40 mil?

He fooled everyone.....just not sure why that's so hard for people to accept.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to tanbass' comment:

[QUOTE]

Rusty can side step how could anyone have known? Many, many did. Too many whispers and flags. My post on seeing AH was that if I saw this type of behavior, wouldn't the team have knowledge? Smoking pot doesnt make this guy a murderer. Smoking pot in public and bullying patrons imo should force the Pats into a major character check of this guy. Obviously not done

So can you please provide one source of info that you claim so many people out there knew of this murder risk? If so many people knew how bad of a person AH was, then please show me (ONE REPORT) in the last 3 years about how bad AH was. Just one.

Reality is that for 3 years, NOBODY said anything bad about the guy...FACT. On top of that, there isn't one single person that wasn't on board and praising the extension. Every sports reporter around was saying what a great move it was. So if what you are saying is correct, then it should be easy for you to show us ONE report that was negative on extending AH for 40 mil?

[/QUOTE]

let me break it down for you...he did not fool every body. His team mates were leery of him, to the point that he was alienated from almost every one. AH in public hung out with know gang members in broad sight, at public places...he even rented a 2nd condo and hung out with gang members at the condo. None of that is against the law. But it should have raised major red flags and the Pats HAD to have known about it, as it seems most of Boston, Southestern Mass and Providence did.

AH also was involved in gun situations prior to this...he was questioned in college (known fact), a police report was made in Providence on Thayer Street that a group of guys was seen putting a gun under a car on the street. It was unclear who put the gun down, but AH was in the group, and a police report was made.   The Fla shooting was after the Pats gave him the contract. The Boston double murders was unsolved, just coming to light now.

repeat, I have no issue with the Pats drafting the guy in the 4th round. I also have no issue with the Pats giving him $40m to resign. Where I have issue is did they do due dilligence? If they did, they HAD to have turned the other cheek, simply too much there to ignore. If they did not do due dilligence, they should be criticized.

Rusty continues to put words in my mouth that how could BB have known when AH was drafted? Rusty even goes on to throw Jim Lampley under the bus. Rusty even admirts to inhaling. As usual, Rusty misses the point...

1) Pats drafted him, no problem

2) Pats resigned him, no problem

3) Did they do due dilligence? I say they did not...and if they did, these skeletons were in plain sight to see and the Pats opted to ignore the red flags...

4) Regarding part 3...regardless if they did not do due dilligence or did...they should be open to criticism for the situation. Pleading ignorance is a cop out imo

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I couldn't find any and I've been looking.  With respect to all of the 'pre-draft scout red flags' this is the extent of what I've been able to find.

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/06/21/nfl-scouts-reveal-startling-2010-pre-draft-files-on-aaron-hernandez-claim-tight-end-was-emotionally-unstable/

Note the lack of attribution.  Oh, and to those who would point to the Welker/AH issue, I've heard of a whole he11 of a lot worse than that happening in NFL locker rooms and seen worse than that on the sidelines watching NFL games.

During the search I happened upon this:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/aaron-hernandez-investigation-tight-end-had-perfect-score-in-predraft-psychological-test-062013

Now given the foregoing, in my opinion, attempting to hang the 'Pats-should-have-known' label on this doesn't pass the straight face test.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

MelW,

Now that we've established, and with a smile, that neither of us gives a rat's patootie about who cares about what whoever thinks of whoever else's opinion, I read and understood your point.  What I couldn't find was any links to support that point.  

Regardless, the guy's no longer with the Pats and is probably not going to ever see a football field again except on TV.

Apart from that, yours in who gives a pluperfect $h1t.

ATJ

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/hernandez-photographed-flashing-gang-signs

0626-tmz-gun-aaron-hernandez

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2013/06/26/0626-tmz-gun-aaron-hernandez-3.jpg

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/hernandez-shown-gun-2009-photo

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/borges-lose-more-win-player-gambles

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/report-hernandez-thought-have-gang-affiliations

There it is...the "proof" you demanded...

Saw those - didn't know the scouts had those but it's all cool.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

let me break it down for you...he did not fool every body. His team mates were leery of him, to the point that he was alienated from almost every one. AH in public hung out with know gang members in broad sight, at public places...he even rented a 2nd condo and hung out with gang members at the condo. None of that is against the law. But it should have raised major red flags and the Pats HAD to have known about it, as it seems most of Boston, Southestern Mass and Providence did.

AH also was involved in gun situations prior to this...he was questioned in college (known fact), a police report was made in Providence on Thayer Street that a group of guys was seen putting a gun under a car on the street. It was unclear who put the gun down, but AH was in the group, and a police report was made.   The Fla shooting was after the Pats gave him the contract. The Boston double murders was unsolved, just coming to light now.

repeat, I have no issue with the Pats drafting the guy in the 4th round. I also have no issue with the Pats giving him $40m to resign. Where I have issue is did they do due dilligence? If they did, they HAD to have turned the other cheek, simply too much there to ignore. If they did not do due dilligence, they should be criticized.

Rusty continues to put words in my mouth that how could BB have known when AH was drafted? Rusty even goes on to throw Jim Lampley under the bus. Rusty even admirts to inhaling. As usual, Rusty misses the point...

1) Pats drafted him, no problem

2) Pats resigned him, no problem

3) Did they do due dilligence? I say they did not...and if they did, these skeletons were in plain sight to see and the Pats opted to ignore the red flags...

4) Regarding part 3...regardless if they did not do due dilligence or did...they should be open to criticism for the situation. Pleading ignorance is a cop out imo

[/QUOTE]

"Admits to inhaling"? Who are you, Bill Clinton or Mother Theresa? Who hasn't inhaled? THat's the better question. 

I threw Lampley "under the bus"?  You seem to think Lampley would care that anyone knows he likes his weed.

I didn't miss the point at all. NO ONE CARES about the weed thing.  They don't. If you come to work, are a good person, work hard, produce, etc, no one cares if you go home and have wine or weed as you wind down your day.

Get it?

YOU pretending weed--->murder is one of the DUMBEST I've read here, and it's not shocking it came from you.

There is no way Bob Kraft authorizes a new contract for a 23 year old young adult if he didn't feel comfortable in doing so.

[/QUOTE]

are you seriously this dumb? put that 152 IQ to work would you? I am not saying that weed leads to murder...forget the weed...all the other red flags, gang affiliation, gun issues...why didnt the Pats know about this when half of New England did...from Boston south to Providence, this guy has been getting into trouble. Not peace pot smoikng, trouble with gang members, in strip clubs with guns...

why is that so hard for to understand?

and no, I have never inhaled pot in my life..

Sections
Shortcuts