Excited About Brandon Spikes!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Excited About Brandon Spikes!

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4680911/belichick-spikes-interesting-to-coach

I had a feeling we got a steal when we drafted him but the more I read about this kid, especially the stuff coming from Belichick, the more excited I get about Spikes. To me, his 40 time and his eye-gouging incident is what kept teams from drafting him but I think you have to take these issues with college kids with a grain of salt. Which 20-24 year old did not, at some point, do something stupid and immature?

And last I checked a 40-yard dash is not too accurate of a measure in evaluating a linebacker. If your linebackers are running 40 yards consistently in game situations, you have bigger problems.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

Re: Excited About Brandon Spikes!

I was gonna start a post about him this morning too.  I watched him in college if anything he gets to the ball too quick every once in a while and allows a cutback but believe this kids speed will not be a problem in our defense  HE WILL BE A BEAST!  Google his name and look at his pictures.  It just looks like it would hurt when he hits you.  Mayo and him will be holding down the middle of our defense for years to come and I am excited about it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Absolutely. I live in Georgia so I'm in the heart of SEC football. I've heard great things about him too.

The key word I heard from Bill was 'instinctive.' That's an underrated quality today considering teams are hovering around players with measuring sticks and stopwatches. No matter how fast or strong the kid is, you could never teach him instincts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

You're right about McKenzie getting praise too. Either way, I think Bill honestly believes he has something there with the Spikes/McKenzie combo. I can't recall this much praise going towards a kid in training camp...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Excited About Brandon Spikes!:
    [QUOTE]I'll bet money Spikes/McKenzie />Guyton this year in terms of tackling/run stopping. Guyton is a solid player, but he's better suited in space or used less in a complementary role.  He had trouble shedding a block through the line to make a play. Another likley improvement area as compared to last year. I am still chuckling at Mike Greenberg on ESPN this morning asking where NE improved. lol Gee, Mike, I am confused.  All the younger D players will get worse with more experience, not better!  Right, Mike?!!
    Posted by russgriswold[/QUOTE]

We'll improve where it counts most. Wins and losses. Those two losers were just as bad as anyone during spygate. Greenberg is a NY guy so I can't expect any love from him. I will however get some satisfaction when we sweep the overrated Nyets this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Excited About Brandon Spikes!:
    [QUOTE]Absolutely. I live in Georgia so I'm in the heart of SEC football. I've heard great things about him too. The key word I heard from Bill was 'instinctive.' That's an underrated quality today considering teams are hovering around players with measuring sticks and stopwatches. No matter how fast or strong the kid is, you could never teach him instincts.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

I'm with you AP. He's definitely the guy I have been most interested in since the draft because I think we need that position filled as much as any on the team. Hopefully not just with a warm body this year either. I'm a big fan of the eye Gouge though.It's no different than Mankins punching someone in the nuts. It's a very affective and effective tactic.
    Sckrew the 40 times, he'll make plays and that's all that counts.
    I think the first Preseason game is a week from tomorrow so we'll all get a little snapshot then. If Spikes makes one tackle I'm going to start 4 threads simultaneously about his greatness.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

went down to camp on opening day... its not like the old days when you could get up close and really see the action... its all over controlled but still it was fun... lots of hot ma's running round...didnt see NEGAME though

oh ya watched the linebackers covering the backs out of the backfield drill too(in between distractions)... rbacks definately had the advantage... but some linbackers looked good...mayo, spikes, guyton   on one play mayo just about picked faulk up and wouldnt let him cut back accross the middle...so coaches maade those two go again...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I've heard Spikes compared to Bryan Cox on a few different sports media outlets.  He supposedly has a nose for the ball, he likes to bring the stick, instigate, intimidate, and set the tone.  He sounds like a future leader of the defense, something this team really needs more of.  I've only seen him play 2 or 3 times, but I hope he's all that he's reported to be.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Here's a little clip from last night that I was just reading. Guyton is down right now with an injured knee so they are getting a closer look at Spikes. Looks like we'll get a real good look at him in the first exibition game.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- From a media perspective, different topics sometimes stand out as the clear story of the day. Wednesday, it was rookie inside linebacker Brandon Spikes.

It started with Patriots coach Bill Belichick calling him an "interesting player to coach" and explaining how Spikes is sometimes unconventional but still gets the job done.

Then, after the team's lone practice of the day -- a lighter shorts-and-shells session -- Spikes held court with the media.

"Everything is going good, just keeping my nose in the playbook every day, never losing that edge and making sure I'm ready when my number is called," said Spikes, the team's final selection in the second round (62nd overall) of the 2010 draft.

Spikes' number has been called a lot more since Sunday, when 2009 starter Gary Guyton injured his knee. Spikes has been working alongside Jerod Mayo ever since, as Guyton has remained out of practice.