excited to see BBs reworked D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

excited to see BBs reworked D

With the loss of Mayo,  Pats coaching staff is going to juggle personnel and get some backups into the mix.  In addition we may see some more aggressive scheming to get after Jets QB Smith.  It may turn out to be an exciting defense to watch if guys like Collins and Fletcher hit the ground running and respond to the challenge.

Talibs absence will hurt also but its kind of a blessing that it came this week since Jets have no dominant receiver to worry about.  Maybe give him another week to heal and let Ryan get important reps covering Stephen Hill while Dennard can shut down Kerley.   Not too worried about the secondary this week.  

comments?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: excited to see BBs reworked D

I don't know if excited is the word I'd use - I'd rather they were fully healthy.  But point taken, let's see what the backups can do and if the D really has some quality depth.  It's a shame about Mayo and VW (hoping Talib is healthy).  The D was looking pretty solid, and probably still will be.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Well, if there's a position at which this defense can afford to suffer a loss, it's LB. 

Collins, Hightower, Spikes, Beauharnais and Fletcher are all solid players and have certain attributes/strengths they bring to the defense. Are any one of those guys, individually, the player that Mayo is? No. But in combination they should be able to fill Mayo's void rather well. This loss hurts, but as the saying goes, next man up. I'm not terribly concerned about the state of the defense -- the guy(s) who will be filling Mayo's void are talented players... it's not like we're inserting a nobody. That said, we can't afford many more of these losses. Gotta hope for health during the remainder of the season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

If it was just Mayo, I wouldn't be worried as much. But we are talking about major 4 starters out. Losing Vince, Kelly & Mayo has to effect the run defense....and we all know how important Talib is to the secondary. I guess we'll find out how well the "next man up" routine works this weekend. I'm not freaking out...but starting to have some concerns....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm not so much excited to see what BB does but interested in how he compensates for the absence (or potential absence) of as many as 4 starters on D, each of whom is a signficant contributor.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not excited to see what happens with a slew of important players out for the year.

Two defesive linemen, a linebacker, the top CB and the guy who was supposed to be the #1 wideout will all be missing next week.  Who knows if Talib or One-the-mend-always will be back the following week...or at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

MY point is this is where The BB magic comes out.

Personnel , Scheme...  surprises..?  With the loss of these key players , I'm not saying it doesn't hurt but we get to see the brilliance now.   The depth .  THe team structure.  We have seen so many times this team patched together with Edelman Playing defense for example and kicking some teams butt that maybe thinks that New England will be  a pushover without key players. 

I find those games very satisfying.  I think BB does too.  He doesn't miss a step... next guy up jumps in there and he has the confidence in them since they have been coached up right along.  Look at how Cassel came into it as another example.  The fact that you dont see any transactions or panic moves means that the depth that was built into this team is solid and BB will be putting it to use.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

I am more curious then I am excited.  These injuries are going to hurt.  Hopefully Kelly and Talib can get back soon but I think we should be fine vs Jets and Steelers.  A tad worried vs the Phins and possibly Panthers.  If Talib is gone for Broncos it could be very ugly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

I seriously doubt the patriots will be more aggressive because they have lost players. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Kelly and Talib will return.

It's terrible about Mayo and Wiflork though. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

I'm with you.  I wish there were not injuries but in this game it's just inevitable.

The depth has already been tested and will tested further.

Amendola, Connolly, Talib, Kelly more than likely out for atleast this game.

Then you have VW and Mayo out for the season.

PUP guys Armstead and Harrison yet to practice.

Chris Jones, Joe Vellano (Both Rookies), Marcus Forston filling in for VW and Kelly.

All the rooks have seen atleast some playing time.  Harmon, Ryan, Collins and Buchanan included.

Let's not forget Mathew Slater, Special Teams captain.

Pats 5-1.  

With all these injuries I still wouldn't be surprised to see them 6-1 after Sunday.

Sorry to all the BB anti-GM fans.  I think he did a fine job as GM so far.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

I'm with you.  I wish there were not injuries but in this game it's just inevitable.

Chris Jones, Joe Vellano (Both Rookies), Marcus Forston filling in for VW and Kelly.

All the rooks have seen atleast some playing time.  Harmon, Ryan, Collins and Buchanan included.

Pats 5-1.  

With all these injuries I still wouldn't be surprised to see them 6-1 after Sunday.

I acutally liked what I saw from Logan Ryan last week. 

I'll add ... Collins has so much talent ... the overall mix, after some game experience, of Mayo - Hightower - Collins might be a better *starting* group than Mayo - Spikes - Hightower ... which has overlap. 

Not to mention Mayo was going to be getting lifted for Spikes some times anyhow, since VW is gone and Spikes is a better gap/trash defender. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Pats 5-1.  

I'll add ... Collins has so much talent ... the overall mix, after some game experience, of Mayo - Hightower - Collins might be a better *starting* group than Mayo - Spikes - Hightower ... which has overlap. 

Not to mention Mayo was going to be getting lifted for Spikes some times anyhow, since VW is gone and Spikes is a better gap/trash defender. 

tell yourself that

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

Pats 5-1.  

like your comment

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Personnel , Scheme...  surprises..?  With the loss of these key players , I'm not saying it doesn't hurt but we get to see the brilliance now.   The depth .  THe team structure.  We have seen so many times this team patched together with Edelman Playing defense for example and kicking some teams butt that maybe thinks that New England will be  a pushover without key players. 

I find those games very satisfying.  I think BB does too.  He doesn't miss a step... next guy up jumps in there and he has the confidence in them since they have been coached up right along.  Look at how Cassel came into it as another example.  The fact that you dont see any transactions or panic moves means that the depth that was built into this team is solid and BB will be putting it to use.

I know exactly what you mean.  The excitement comes from watching how BB coaches his way through all of this.  I would be willing to guess that most coaches couldn't do it.  We all know that, at some point, his coaching days will be done.  But, until that day comes, it is exciting to see a masterful coach at work.  Who knows when, or if, we will ever see one like him again, after he retires (many years down the road).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Not excited...yet, however I am curious to see how this plays out. i am still holding hope that Mayo could make it back for the playoffs. Once Kelly and Talib return thus defense will look better than it does right now. One way to help this defense is to make sure our run game is working so the defense isn't on the field longer than it needs to be.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

I know exactly what you mean.  The excitement comes from watching how BB coaches his way through all of this.  I would be willing to guess that most coaches couldn't do it.  We all know that, at some point, his coaching days will be done.  But, until that day comes, it is exciting to see a masterful coach at work.  Who knows when, or if, we will ever see one like him again, after he retires (many years down the road).

yep... I try not to take this stuff for granted .  The little things , the details...etc.   But the brilliance is really the way he prepares his players or coaches them to prepare themselves.     Its exciting to see these guys take the field and compete and face the adversity that comes up during games.  What sucks is that this is finally the team that seems to have all the pieces to get it done on both sides of the ball and then bang , The emerging D takes these hits.  Trying not to dwell on that too much since it is part of the game for everybody in this league.   Lets get on with it and see these guys emerge...  Looking forward to it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

There's still enough time left in this season for the players who will be out there to learn and hopefully improve.

And still enough time for players who are dinged up to get healthier.

Remember, it's not how you start but how you finish, right?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

There's still enough time left in this season for the players who will be out there to learn and hopefully improve.

And still enough time for players who are dinged up to get healthier.

Remember, it's not how you start but how you finish, right?

Right....  Another point to make is that the guys that have gone down are the older guys Mayo, Wilfork.  Kelly....  This instantly makes Pats defense younger.   Now that includes less experienced but the young legs on Defense has a benefit if they are coached properly which we can expect them to be.  ONce they get into the game and some good things start happening the confidence goes up ... 

This means that rookie and second year talent can emerge into something more than what you expect since the upside is unknown....   only speculated...  hence the excitement of finding out, while watching how BB compensates with schemes and moves.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from teegee. Show teegee's posts

Considering all the draft criticism BB has received, at least there's a first round pick, Hightower, to fill Mayo's void.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

So, what's the starting lineup for D gonna be?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Certainly looking forward to this Sunday and see how the young D handles a hapless offense.

Red Sox in 2013 World Series; Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to anonymis's comment:

So, what's the starting lineup for D gonna be?

Only BB (and his hairdresser) know for sure....   Thats the fun of it.  Maybe  we see a completely new formation that plays into the strengths of the new players and protects from their weaknesses. 

For instance... more pressure packages that might cover up weaknesses in coverage.  This is the unknown.  BB is capable of pulling off just about anything. Especially against the Jets.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Some young calfs on both sides of the ball have been forced to become bulls much sooner than expected and that bodes well for LAB (Life After Brady ).This season, I'm especially excited to see how far BB can take this cast of injured FA's, UDFA's, rooks and some savvy drafting by BB the GM who's past two offseasons are the reason why we aren't researching mock drafts already. BB has always been the master of playing the underdog and as long as Joshy Boy doesn't continue to pee his pants on national tv, this will be one fun ride.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

Pats 5-1.  

tell yourself that

Ok, I shall. 

From a strategic perspective I don't think the Mayo injury will be as derailing over the long haul as some think. 

Because of the loss of Wilfork, NE was going to be playing Spikes over the middle (either as a straight MIKE or the OLB in the under/over alignment between the Ends/tackles) anyhow for a lot of reps. 

So this would have pushed Mayo to the other spot. 

Now, this is the spot typically manned by Hightower, who would then be pushed outside, and basically lose any MIKE reps. 

Now, Collins is coming in. He is actually more athletic (in my opinion) at OLB outside of the tackles than anyone. He has added upside as a pass rusher none from THAT spot, that none of them bring (Spikes and Hightower are better interior blitzers). Add to that Mayo is the least effective interior blitzer.

The layout of Collins - Spikes - Hightower,  is more dynamic in some respects. 

Mayo will be missed at MIKE as a signal caller, but I have faith Hightower can do this too. 

In essence NE is losing a little coverage in losing Mayo -Collins -Hightower as a package option. They are losing experience, in losing Mayo as a MIKE. 

They still have adequate reserves to field a great everydown package because of their tremendous depth at that spot though. 

And GIVEN that Spikes was going to see the field a lot more ... .it's not a huge deal. 

Losing Talib would be 5x the blow. 

He is the defensive MVP even over Wilfork. 

All things being equal, I'd rather have Mayo than not... but it's not the end of the world. 

To be frank .... I think Talib and Tommy Kelly are MORE critical to how well the defense has performed. NE's depth/talent in coverage and new-found interior rush have been the difference makers for this defense vis-a-vis the last few seasons. 

Sections
Shortcuts