EXPANDED: Comparing BB's drafting to the competition.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: EXPANDED: Comparing BB's drafting to the competition.

While Belichick was trading down, drafting tackles and tight ends with dubious backgrounds and tiny cornerbacks (the only ones smart enough to grasp his schemes it seems), Pete Carroll and squad were drafting a big, athletic defense to set loose on the competition. 

Babe's rankings support what most of us with decent eyesight see on the field. Very good talent but not elite talent, very few playmakers and very little depth so that when a Gronk or a Talib goes down, we have a huge setback. 

I loved watching Seattle get after it in the Super Bowl versus our bend versus break outdated approach. Sherman's play against Crabtree in the NFC championship: if that's our team, Crabtree reaches over our mini-me cornerbacks (since Talib is likely on the sidelines nursing an injury) and makes the play. 

For sustained excellence BB has done pretty good as a GM (and incredibly well as a coach) but there is plenty of room for criticism if you raise the criteria to championship-level expectations.

Fortunately I think BB's philosophy is evolving with the times and I expect next year's D to be more like Pete's....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While Belichick was trading down, drafting tackles and tight ends with dubious backgrounds and tiny cornerbacks (the only ones smart enough to grasp his schemes it seems), Pete Carroll and squad were drafting a big, athletic defense to set loose on the competition. 

Babe's rankings support what most of us with decent eyesight see on the field. Very good talent but not elite talent, very few playmakers and very little depth so that when a Gronk or a Talib goes down, we have a huge setback. 

I loved watching Seattle get after it in the Super Bowl versus our bend versus break outdated approach. Sherman's play against Crabtree in the NFC championship: if that's our team, Crabtree reaches over our mini-me cornerbacks (since Talib is likely on the sidelines nursing an injury) and makes the play. 

For sustained excellence BB has done pretty good as a GM (and incredibly well as a coach) but there is plenty of room for criticism if you raise the criteria to championship-level expectations.

Fortunately I think BB's philosophy is evolving with the times and I expect next year's D to be more like Pete's....

[/QUOTE]

By evolving with the times, do you mean he's going to start giving the smurfs growth hormones? Undecided

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rtuinila's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

What, 2004-07 no rookie is going to make the team?   W T F, rusty?

2004 Patriots Draft Picks

The Patriots selected the following players during the 2004 NFL Draft.

1 Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami (FL)
    1 Ben Watson, TE, Georgia
    2 Marquise Hill, DL, Louisiana State
    3 Guss Scott, FS, Florida
    4 Dexter Reid, SS, North Carolina
    4 Cedric Cobbs, RB, Arkansas
    5 P.K. Sam, WR, Florida State
    7 Christian Morton, CB, Illinoi

2005 Patriots Draft Picks

The Patriots selected the following players during the 2005 NFL Draft.

1 Logan Mankins, OL, Fresno State
    3 Ellis Hobbs, CB, Iowa State
    3 Nick Kaczur, OL, Toledo
    4 James Sanders, FS, Fresno State
    5 Ryan Claridge, LB, Nevada-Las Vegas
    7 Matt Cassel, QB, USC
    7 Andy Stokes, TE, William Penn

[/QUOTE]

According to you only two of those guys were any good but are now busts

[/QUOTE]

WHAAAAAAAT???????

No, not according to me or any one.  That makes zero sense. (typical crusty)

There were more starters (that wouldn't be freaken back-ups for other teams) in those two drafts than the next 6.

BB drafts a bunch of back-ups and ST players, after that.  That's it.

There's 5 worthy starters in those 6 years  with McCourty being the only defensive hit and I'm sorry he's nobody's dream come true.  The other so-called starters are either flippen burgers or BACK-UPS for non contenders.

And you slurpers wonder why they have a bottom ranked D since Seymore and Samuels walked out the door.  Back-ups don't win SB's.  Neither do UDFA's, bench warmers or the bottom third of the roster.

Why on earth do you think they need so many defensive FA's or trades?

LQQK!!!!!! 

[/QUOTE]

Samuels doesn't win superbowls either, he just loses them like Welker!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Pezz, you've been saying the pats have no good players ever since I've been on this board, I take that back, ever since they got rid of that cancer Seymore. or was that your t-cal or mthurl personna?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

Pretty impressive how he landed both Gronk and Hernandez in the same draft!  Damn.    Unless you are always picking in the Top 10, it really becomes a crap shoot after that, and your data is skewed largely toward luck (No coach would ever anticipate that one of his players would go on a killing spree).  Keep in mind that all these better drafters than BB also had 6 rounds to pick guys like Edelman or Brady but picked someone else.   

The Pats Brass know this and are in the business of trading down and collecting picks with the hopes that 1 or more sticks.  It's a volume approach and not really a reflection of BB as a drafter, but more of a team philosophy.   Now if they picked in the Top 10 every year and messed up that pick, then I would be way more critical.   You also have to pay these Top 15 guys way more $ which prevent you from doing other things such as sign free agents/make trades/etc...   From an organizational/winning standpoint, I have complete faith in the Patriots.  According to your data, the Jets are in the Top 10, spin that one.

And yes, Brady does carry our team...and the same could be said if they were one of the "best" drafters on your list.  It should also be noted that Manning carries the Broncos, Rogers the Packers, and Brees the Saints.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1st Round – Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    2nd Round – Ras-I Dowling, DB, Virginia
    2nd Round – Shane Vereen, RB, Cal
    3rd Round – Stevan Ridley, RB, LSU
    3rd Round – Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas
    5th Round – Marcus Cannon, OL, TCU
    5th Round – Lee Smith, TE, Marshall
    6th Round – Markell Carter, OLB, Central Arkansas
    7th Round – Malcolm Williams, CB, Marshall

2010 Patriots Draft Picks

This is the list of the Patriots draft picks going into the 2010 NFL Draft:

Updated 4/24

1st Round (27th Overall) – Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
    2nd Round (42nd Overall) – Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
    2nd Round (53rd Overall) –J ermaine CuJnningham, OLB, Florida
    2nd Round (62nd Overall) – Brandon Spikes, LB, Florida
    3rd Round (90th Overall) – Taylor Price, WR, Ohio
    4th Round (113th Overall) – Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
    5th Round (150th Overall) – Zoltan Mesko, P, Michigan
    6th Round (205th Overall) – Ted Larsen, C, NC State
    7th Round (208th Overall) – Thomas Welch, OT, Vanderbilt
    7th Round (247th Overall) – Brandon Deaderick, DL, Alabama
    7th Round (248th Overall) – Kade Weston, DL, Georgia
    7th Round (250th OVerall) – Zac Robinson, QB, Oklahoma State

2009 Patriots Draft Picks

The Patriots selected the following players in the 2009 NFL Draft.

2a Pat Chung, SS, Oregon
    2b Ron Brace, DT, Boston College
    2c Darius Butler, CB, Connecticut
    2d Sebastian Vollmer, OL, Houston
    3a Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina
    3b Tyrone McKenzie, LB, South Florida
    4 Rich Ohrnberger, OL, Penn State
    5 George Bussey, OL, Louisville
    6a Jake Ingram, LS, Hawaii
    6b Myron Pryor, DT, Kentucky
    7a Julian Edelman, WR, Kent State
    7b Darryl Richard, DT, Georgia Tech

2008 Patriots Draft Picks

The Patriots selected the following players during the 2008 NFL Draft.

1 Jerod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee
    2 Terrence Wheatley, CB, Colorado
    3a Shawn Crable, OLB, Michigan
    3b Kevin O’Connell, QB, San Diego State
    4 Jonathan Wilhite, CB, Auburn
    5 Matt Slater, KR, UCLA
    6 Bo Ruud, ILB, Nebraska

2007 Patriots Draft Picks

The Patriots selected the following players during the 2007 NFL Draft.

1 Brandon Meriweather, FS, Miami (Fla.)
    4 Kareem Brown, DL, Miami (Fla.)
    5 Clint Oldenburg, OL, Colorado State
    6 Justin Rogers, OLB, Southern Methodist
    6 Mike Richardson, CB, Notre Dame
    6 Justise Hairston, RB, Central Connecticut State
    6 Corey Hilliard, OL, Oklahoma State
    7 Oscar Lua, LB, USC
    7 Mike Elgin, OL, Iowa

2006 Patriots Draft Picks

The Patriots selected the following players during the 2006 NFL Draft.

1 Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
    2 Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
    3 Dave Thomas, TE, Texas
    4 Garrett Mills, TE, Tulsa
    4 Stephen Gostkowski, K, Memphis
    5 Ryan O’Callaghan, OL, California
    6 Jeremy Mincey, DL, Florida
    6 Dan Stevenson, OL, Notre Dame
    6 Le Kevin Smith, DL, Nebraska
    7 Willie Andrews, CB, Baylor

All I need to know

Crap in, crap out

[/QUOTE]

That "crap" got you within two minutes of winning two Super Bowls, as well as several more Championship Games.  The losses appear to be more about poor execution on the field, at that particular moment in time, and less about poor drafting.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

What was their average drafting position in the period? Doesn't that factor in? Or isn't there a way of translating each draft position into points, and then compare the average "ammunition" they have had?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Pezz, you've been saying the pats have no good players ever since I've been on this board, I take that back, ever since they got rid of that cancer Seymore. or was that your t-cal or mthurl personna?

Actually, that's another lie.  I started getting concerned about the state of the DEFENSE in 2010 and by 2011 it was full blown and hasn't relinquished, yet.  The problems really started before that with the changing of the guard and old D.

This years OFFENSE, also became a concern when last years starters were replaced by rookies and injury prone players.  ZERO back up plan in FA, hurt.

My concern is NOT replacing cancers like Samuels and Seymore (although I'm sure it was more MONEY motivated, unless you think BB can't control his locker room).

My concern IS that they replaced them with a bunch of NOBODIES and the ensuing DEAD MONEY resulting, that further hurt the cause.!

I'm not dissing the players, they are what they are, mostly other teams back-ups.

I'm dissing the guy that brought them there.

You don't get 25th-31st ranked defenses for no reason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Can you show us the numbers from 2010-2013 instead of 2006-2012?

The Patriots traded 2nd/4th rd picks for Welker and Moss in '07, were robbed of a 1st rd pick by Goodall in '08 and traded a 4th rd pick for that Raiders edge rusher around then (good risk reward at the time).

Since '10 we have given away two 4th rd picks for Branch/Talib but gotten back a 3rd rd pick for Moss so overall the team has had all their picks in those 4 rounds over those 4 years and the oldest of those players would just now be hitting free agency (like Spikes) so we know the last 3 playoff teams that were close but came up short and the team moving forward would be most affected by those drafts and not '06-'09 when the team loaded up for one run and then began rebuilding.

Thanks!

[/QUOTE]

And we got a #1 for Seymour, a #2 for Cassell and a #1 for Branch.

[/QUOTE]

Ok so Branch is negated by Goodall stealing our pick

Can you provide where Belichick ranks 2010-2013 please?

[/QUOTE]

C'mon dude, now you want me to slog through BB vs 32 teams for those years? That will cut severely into my leisure time.

You just cannot include these player for draft pick trades into this analysis. It is an impossible task. How are you going to track that for all 32 teams? It would become a life's work.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Babe you still bring dishonor to the username you have chosen. The real Babe Parilli was a very good football player. You are a really lousy statistician and fan!

No. My tribute name to Babe brings honor to him because like him I am honest. But unlike him I am fully willing to tell you what a smelly little liar you are.

I'm 10x the fan you will ever be. You're just a pathetic dishonest bandwagon homer.

[/QUOTE]

Nope you don't bring honor to him at all, only dishonor. You are still a lousy statistician and a stubborn Jets fan that wants his BB back! I bet you never even watched the real Babe Parilli play or pretended to be Babe Parilli when playing football with your friends... oh...wait...you don't have any.

I also love how a comment about no rookies making the team brought one of your disingenuous troll buddies out to prove me wrong but in turn proved how good of a drafter BB really is! 

You are just a pathetic little jets troll that wishes he could be a bandwagon homer fan of the Pats!

[/QUOTE]

^ The ravings of a moron (probably a Rusty fake) that must go back on ignore. I really have zero interest in whether you think my tribute name is appropriate or not.

I have nothing but praise for Babe Parilli. The guy was a terrific football player and he was a hero of mine growing up. That is all, loser.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yeah, convenient, other than that most people who call him out on poor drafting say 2006 is when the worst of it started.

Thanks for helping prove the point. 

BTW, you have to be joking with your spin rankings. BB had 12 f'n picks in 2010. SF had 8. Obviously 12 picks is apt to total higher than 8, ya think?

BB averaged 12 points per pick that year. SF averaged 17.3.

Nice try at being devious.

[/QUOTE]

You seem to be confused about what my post meant.  It demonstrated that if you look at say 2004-2012 or 2008-2012 you get a much different result than 2006-2012.  Those rankings were not per year, but rather that year through 2012.  As for YOUR spin about the 2010 draft the Patriots had 4 7th round picks.  Big f'ing deal.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to scrutinize your list that provides no numbers to check at all.

Post your criteria as I have so we know what the hell you are doing to come up with your ranking. Post the totals so somebody can verify them as I have and maybe we can talk. Until then, your point is only hot air made up by you.

Your conclusions mean nothing because you fail to show an iota of the methodology which brought you to them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Eli. Like him or loathe him, when he's hot he is elite.

[/QUOTE]

So your claim is that Eli is better than Brady?  According to your rankings the Giants suck at drafting yet they beat us in the SB.  LMAO.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you think draft performance guarantees a specific result in a specific game. That's silly.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BB has been mediocre as a GM. Brady and his own coaching mask his mediocrity in that regard a whole bunch.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What was their average drafting position in the period? Doesn't that factor in? Or isn't there a way of translating each draft position into points, and then compare the average "ammunition" they have had?

[/QUOTE]

Very difficult to factor that. BB has traded down a number of times, for example. Many of these teams have also not had many high draft picks, the same as BB.

Also, for much of the time examined the top 10 picks were outrageously priced without the rookie wage scale. Many top picks were getting equal money to top veterans without having proved a thing. That was a tremendous burden on the cap if they busted.

You can also say a good team like the Pats had better players to trade away for draft picks that the bad teams drafting higher didn't have.

Once you go down the rabbit hole of these other factors the analysis only becomes more muddled.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Since some questioned my selection of teams to compare I put out the effort just for you to include all 32 teams in the analysis.

Oops, BB looks even worse. In your never ending quest to bludgeon the square peg of what you imagine into the round hole of reality; this one didn't work out too well. It never really does, when you face the facts, does it?

Comparing BB's 10 best players picked (based on PFR's CarAV rating, rounds 1-4), from the 2006 to the 2012 draft, to the best 10 picks of every one of the 32 NFL teams over that span.

49ers 436

Packers 435

Ravens 433

Broncos 420

Saints 401

Texans 401

Jets 399

Panthers 390

Bengals 384

Vikings 371

Falcons 369

Chiefs 364

Steelers 347

Lions 346

Seahawks 326

Bills 326

Browns 324

Chargers 322

Dolphins 317

Jaguars 317

Titans 316

Eagles 307

Bucs 307

BB 296

Cardinals 293

Cowboys 277

Giants 274

Bears 274

Colts 267

Raiders 265

Redskins 247

Rams 236

BB came out 24th out of 32. Clearly, Brady is carrying this team. It sure as hell is not the talent this GM is bringing in with the draft over those 7 years.

Spin away homers.

Why top 10 picks? It is not as meaningful when you trade down or pick late or both. Why not top 25 at least so that it is more like 3-4 per year. What would those numbers be if it was top 25?

ALSO - when you include a year like 2007 how do you factor in trades and FA? I understand you want to focus on his draft effectiveness but you need to factor more in than just 10 picks in all those years.

Heck, why not simply total ALL picks from those years. In fact, yes you should do ALL picks in all those years for a total and see what the score is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Perhaps you think draft performance guarantees a specific result in a specific game. That's silly.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Aren't you the one saying it's BBs drafting that has cost us SBs?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Post your criteria as I have so we know what the hell you are doing to come up with your ranking. Post the totals so somebody can verify them as I have and maybe we can talk. Until then, your point is only hot air made up by you.

Your conclusions mean nothing because you fail to show an iota of the methodology which brought you to them.

The methodology was simple.  Sum up the CarAV of all players drafted by a team in the years in question.  So for the 2010 ranking in my OP I looked at the CarAV of all players drafted by all 32 teams  between 2010-2012.  For the 2009 ranking it was 2009-2012 etc. etc.

The data demonstrate that the result changes substantially based on what year you choose as your starting point. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.  Aren't you the one saying it's BBs drafting that has cost us SBs?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

[/QUOTE]

If you want a real laugh go find a mirror, because it's obvious that the question of effective drafting is not one about whether you lost a specific game in a specific year, but how well you fared over a number of years.

The bottom line is that we have won no SBs in the last 9. If you are trying to say that final result is not greatly influenced by draft day decisions; well, go look at a mirror and have a good laugh.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why top 10 picks? It is not as meaningful when you trade down or pick late or both. Why not top 25 at least so that it is more like 3-4 per year. What would those numbers be if it was top 25?

[/QUOTE]

It could be 15, or it could be 8. There is a point where you are just counting scrubs that have little or no impact on the destiny of the team.

I chose 10 because I was trying to focus on who was grabbing the most impact players, not who might be stocking mediocre 3rd stringers.

In some checks I found that increasing the number of picks added didn't change the rankings much if at all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It could be 15, or it could be 8. There is a point where you are just counting scrubs that have little or no impact on the destiny of the team.

I chose 10 because I was trying to focus on who was grabbing the most impact players, not who might be stocking mediocre 3rd stringers.

In some checks I found that increasing the number of picks added didn't change the rankings much if at all.

[/QUOTE]

Babe, I do understand that. But the PREMICE of BBs roster building is that it is more important to build a solid 53 man roster than a great 12 man roster. So I think you really should expand it to 25 or at the vesry least 20.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

The conclusion of this "analysis" is entirely based on what year you choose as the starting point.  If you sum up the CarAV of each team's drafts through 2012 here is how BB ranks depending on which year you use as the starting point:

2010: 1st

2009: 1st

2008: 6th

2007: 18th

2006: 20th

2005: 11th

2004: 12th

2003: 6th

2002: 7th

2001: 4th

2000: 3rd

How convenient that Babe picked the year that most supported his agenda.

[/QUOTE]

+1 - you can skew any stat to support your premise anytime.  Chances are that choosing 2006 as a starting point paints BB in the worst light.  Any year before or after and the Pats climb the ladder significantly.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

BB came out 24th out of 32. Clearly, Brady is carrying this team. It sure as hell is not the talent this GM is bringing in with the draft over those 7 years.

Spin away homers.

[/QUOTE]

The Giants won 2 super bowls in that time period yet are 27th out of 32. Who was carrying them?

[/QUOTE]

Eli. Like him or loathe him, when he's hot he is elite.

[/QUOTE]

... and has a defense playing lights out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The methodology was simple.  Sum up the CarAV of all players drafted by a team in the years in question.  So for the 2010 ranking in my OP I looked at the CarAV of all players drafted by all 32 teams  between 2010-2012.  For the 2009 ranking it was 2009-2012 etc. etc.

The data demonstrate that the result changes substantially based on what year you choose as your starting point. 

[/QUOTE]

So as I suspected, your methodology was a joke.

For example, BB in 2010 had many more draft picks than most anybody else so the total was higher. That proves nothing. So he had some extra scrubs that added points. That's not a sign of good drafting.

So your rankings are worthless.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

yeah, I don't get this thread. the OP looked at metrics related to the drafting by each team. you can disagree to the metrics chosen for analysis, or you could prefer different metrics. but it is impossible to argue with the results the OP chose to analyze

this is one way of looking at draft results. it is not looking at team wins, SB's nor is it ranking a coaches ability. it is a reflection of the drafting results of each team  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

So as I suspected, your methodology was a joke.

For example, BB in 2010 had many more draft picks than most anybody else so the total was higher. That proves nothing. So he had some extra scrubs that added points. That's not a sign of good drafting.

So your rankings are worthless.

What part of the 2010 ranking means the time period from 2010-2012 do you not get?  Are you really complaining because BB's 3 extra 7th round picks added 2 f'ing points to the sum.  Your beloved 9ers had 2 first round picks in 2010.  OMG it's unfair (that's sarcasm if you couldn't tell).