Expect the Pats "D" to see a lot of no huddle offense?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

Expect the Pats "D" to see a lot of no huddle offense?

Okay, so we have the bodies on the d-line now. This is a group of guys who have been able to cause trouble for opposing offenses from time to time. But they are, for the most part, BIG and/or OLD by football standards. We are expecting to see lots of rotation. Wouldn't a no huddle offense cause issues for players who appear to need rest to stay effective?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Re: Expect the Pats "D" to see a lot of no huddle offense?

Obviously there is some truth to this. You have to have a top notch quarterback to do this otherwise your own defense will get exhausted quickly. Teams like the Colts and Chargers are the teams that this could be a problem with. If the Patriots offense plays up to it's potential it should be facing a lot of hurry up offenses in the 4th quarter. The Steelers, the AFC team who I think is the strongest coming out of the preseason (I put the Patriots 3rd after the Chargers-the kickoff rule changes will probably benefit them the most) are not known to use the no huddle accept as a last resort. They obviously like to wear teams out physically over 60 minutes that's why Brady's mastery of them over the years has been so impressive. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I was just thinking about that too. As ccnsd said, only a few offenses in the NFL can pull off the hurry-up well enough and consistently enough to wear down a defense. I don't think this is going to be a major problem during the regular season. 

My concern, though, is how we will deal with it in the playoffs, when we go up against all the elite teams that can run the no-huddle effectively. You can bet that teams like the Chargers and Colts (assuming they make playoffs) will use this to exploit our rotation.

Luckily, we're not in the NFC, where we would almost certainly have to face fast-tempo, pass-happy offenses in the playoffs like the Saints, Packers, Falcons, and Eagles.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

This is where the health of Bodden and Dowling will be big - if they're healthy, they can play defense in simple man coverages on the fly and force incomplete passes.

If Chung steps up into a leadership role, he can help direct traffic from his superior vantage point in center field

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Well, if they get there, (and that is the whole point of it) there won't BE a hurry up.  The QB will be under duress, getting up off the ground, whatever.  IF they get there.  If they don't, we are in trouble either way.  I have been wanting more pressure D for years, I guess now we will see if it helps.  But I think the hurry up gave us trouble in the last few years anyway, so what is the real difference?  Knocking the QB down should both slow down any hurry up and make him react to the pressure and become less acurate.  Do that, and I think we are golden.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

This is why you should see linemen being rotated for whole series and not just on a per-down basis.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vacilando. Show Vacilando's posts

Not sure why we should be worried about this.  The only QBs with the chops to be able to run a decent no-huddle would be:

Week 2 - Rivers
    Week 8 - Roethlisberger
    Week 12 - P. Manning

Unless some other QBs can step up and command their respective o-lines I don't see it happening.  Not to mention I'm more than confident enough with our DBs to be able to handle the hurry-up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

We might potentially see Rivers, Manning, and Roethlisberger in the playoffs again so we should be worried. Personally, I like our defense alongside Belichick's gameplanning enough to believe we can handle it, but this could turn out to a weak spot nonetheless.

Plus, if we make it to the Super Bowl, we could be playing the likes of Brees, Rodgers, Vick, or Matt Ryan. Vick and Rodgers, especially, with their ability to scramble, can tire out a defense pretty quickly. And if they go spread, no-huddle, McCourty and Bodden can't exactly cover 4 or 5 receivers. It's certainly nice to have Haynesworth and Ellis and Andre Carter up front, but I do hope they get in better shape so they can play entire series.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

In Response to Re: Expect the Pats "D" to see a lot of no huddle offense?:
    [QUOTE]I think they are well aware of these kinds of things an it's easier said than done as far as executing a hurry up offense. If that's all you have, you are in trouble against this team.  Team use hurry ups as a wrinkle, sometimes to get a rhythm of some kind or to take a team by surprised, but I don't think we'll see players who aren't able to handle it on the field. Or, they do it out of outright desperation to try to generate offense. Also, the rotations people mention above are there.   BB will have this ready to counter the hurry up. What you saw in Detroit is not what you'll see in the regular season.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

How so? Once a team can be able to get the matchups it is just being able to move the chains. IF Haynesworth actually does play a down this season expect teams to look to keep him on the field, after one down the guys usually gives up trying. The cornerbacks are going to get torched against a team who can run multiple packages. Maybe they can build a trap door in the middle of the field where they can get Fatty off the field?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

[QUOTE]Not sure why we should be worried about this.  The only QBs with the chops to be able to run a decent no-huddle would be: Week 2 - Rivers Week 8 - Roethlisberger Week 12 - P. Manning Unless some other QBs can step up and command their respective o-lines I don't see it happening.  Not to mention I'm more than confident enough with our DBs to be able to handle the hurry-up.
    Posted by Vacilando[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Vick the Gazelle.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Expect the Pats "D" to see a lot of no huddle offense? : How so? Once a team can be able to get the matchups it is just being able to move the chains. IF Haynesworth actually does play a down this season expect teams to look to keep him on the field, after one down the guys usually gives up trying. The cornerbacks are going to get torched against a team who can run multiple packages. Maybe they can build a trap door in the middle of the field where they can get Fatty off the field?
    Posted by PhllyPhn1967[/QUOTE]

You just worry about Vick playing all 16 games for once, PhillyPhnComesLately

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

[QUOTE]Dear Philly Dummy, You can;t run a no huddle on every drive for 4 qtrs. That's the point. Also, your O Line looks very weak heading into Week 1 and we expect Vick to be a hyena by mid season, not a gazelle. Pats front 7 will crush Vick. 

LOL at once again devalueing the Eagles front line and overvalueing your own OL and lack of offensive targets.

And any good QB is going to have a field day with those CB's and safety. I am not even saying great, just good.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

[QUOTE]Dear Philly Dummy, You can;t run a no huddle on every drive for 4 qtrs. That's the point. Also, your O Line looks very weak heading into Week 1 and we expect Vick to be a hyena by mid season, not a gazelle. Pats front 7 will crush Vick. 

And LOL on the no huddle for four quarters, with guys like Hayneworth all you need to do is run the no-huddle for one series and he is done for the game. What's the backup plan? I cannot wait for the one on one coverage on Maclin and Jackson, they are going to toast the corners.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Hopefully it will be a lot of 3 and outs for the defense.  Hurry up or not, they can get rest on the bench.  The offense will be using up a lot of clock time.  Clock management is key to success.  If the Patriots are able to keep the edge on the time of possesion they should be able to keep their defense fresh for the 4th quarter.  I expect that the attacking defense will create turnovers and poor decisions.  The defense is designed to be able to handle the hurry up offense. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I do think we can crush Vick, but we're not playing just Vick are we? What I mean is, this isn't like playing the Colts, where Peyton is carrying the team and we're really just playing against Peyton.

The Eagles has a lot of playmakers with Jackson, Maclin, and McCoy on offense, and the "Dream Team" on defense. They can all make plays despite their QB's performance. I have to admit, that game is one I'm nervous about, and more so if we end up playing them in the Super Bowl.

Of course, you know you have a great team if you only feel nervous about one or two games out of the entire season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhllyPhn1967. Show PhllyPhn1967's posts

[QUOTE]Umm, what?  McCourty and Bodden aren't top flight CBs in this league?  Isn't this the same defense that generated the 2nd most turnovers last year with no pass rush?  Yes, you make a lot of sense. Enjoy your LB situation and O Line!  lol

WHO? Top flight? LOL, man stop, please. And you call me a Homer.