Exploring: BB's offseason plan, so far.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Exploring: BB's offseason plan, so far.

I am impressed with the nature of BB's acquisitions during this offseason.

As HC he knows better than anybody else exactly what he needs and this time around didn't play it cute and struck at the core of the problems. He too knows the window is closing fast.

1. He aggressively addressed the woes of our defense by selecting 6 players on that side of the ball in the draft, including trading up in the 1st round and added some significant signings to get this crucial job done.

2. He addressed the most voiced complaint about the offense by signing Lloyd and other WRs.

3. He let the mundane BJGE walk and did not go wild finding a runner in free agency but did pick up Addai who may well provide the recently missing ingredient BB needs from a back; catching the ball out of the backfield.

Well done indeed. He perfectly addressed the needs. Now let's hope his choices were good ones.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Exploring: BB's offseason plan, so far.

In Response to Re: Exploring: BB's offseason plan, so far.:
    Another day another dumb Babe post.
    Posted by glenr

You think applauding BB's offseason moves is dumb?

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

Another day another dumb Babe post.
    Posted by glenr

Actually its the right post at the right time.
    For once in a long time, BB has done what fans expect of him to do. If these players maintain their health this could easily be the best season for the Patriots yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In Response to Exploring: BB's offseason plan, so far.:
    I am impressed with the nature of BB's acquisitions during this offseason. As HC he knows better than anybody else exactly what he needs and this time around didn't play it cute and struck at the core of the problems. He too knows the window is closing fast. 1. He aggressively addressed the woes of our defense by selecting 6 players on that side of the ball in the draft, including trading up in the 1st round to get this crucial job done. 2. He addressed the most voiced complaint about the offense by signing Lloyd and other WRs. 3. He let the mundane BJGE walk and did not go wild finding a runner in free agency but did pick up Addai who may well provide the recently missing ingredient BB needs from a back; catching the ball out of the backfield. Well done indeed. He perfectly addressed the needs. Now let's hope his choices were good ones.
    Posted by BabeParilli

And don't forget the free agents that were signed for the defense:

Jonathan Fanene,  Trevor Scott, Steve Gregory, Bobby Carpenter, Marcus Harrison, Gerard Warren (again) and Will Allen. I'm not mentioning all the UDFA's either.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I like the Pats' offseason.  Whether moving up in the draft to get Jones and Hightower (two guys they clearly targeted) is a good thing, who knows?  At least they were agressive and filled what many of us perceived were the holes in the roster at DE/OLB, WR, S and RB. They added a nice mix of talent to the roster via the draft, UDFA and FA.  Let's hope it works out. 

They were a flawed team that made it to the superbowl last year.  Like most superbowl teams, they were a play or two in the playoffs form not getting there at all.  And despite not playing their best game, they were a play or two away from winning it all.  We lose sight of the fact that it's very hard to win it all, some of us are very spoiled.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I also really like all the moves made by BB this off season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm really interested in seeing what Jonathan Fanene, Trevor Scott, Hightower and Chandler Jones can do to help this defense. To me that's it in a nut shell - either the defense improves - or we'll continue to see an offense that has to carry this team to the point where they can't do it any more (usually deep into the play offs where the defenses are for real).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'm really interested in seeing what Jonathan Fanene, Trevor Scott, Hightower and Chandler Jones can do to help this defense. To me that's it in a nut shell - either the defense improves - or we'll continue to see an offense that has to carry this team to the point where they can't do it any more (usually deep into the play offs where the defenses are for real).
    Posted by mthurl

Good point. Looks like BB bet all his chips on this one.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Giants D was ranked 27th in 2011. Ours "ranked" 31st.  I don't see 4 spots with "yards allowed" averages showcasing NY with some kind of superior D than ours last year. Better pass rush, but that's about it. What we need is the pre-Giselle Tom Brady to come back to the PAts and to take the LA hair gel out of his hair and get down to business when it matters.  Ugh.
    Posted by BassFishingII

Hey dingleberry, this thread is about BB moves this offseason. It's not an invite for you to bore us to tears with more Brady bashing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Giants D was ranked 27th in 2011. Ours "ranked" 31st.  I don't see 4 spots with "yards allowed" averages showcasing NY with some kind of superior D than ours last year. Better pass rush, but that's about it. What we need is the pre-Giselle Tom Brady to come back to the PAts and to take the LA hair gel out of his hair and get down to business when it matters.  Ugh.
    Posted by BassFishingII

Dear Tool Bag,

Thank you for yet again ruining another thread with your agendas and distorted sense of facts and reality...it's no wonder you've been banned 100 times. I really wish your mom hadn't withheld your milk rations when you were young.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Exploring: BB's offseason plan, so far. : And don't forget the free agents that were signed for the defense: Jonathan Fanene,  Trevor Scott, Steve Gregory, Bobby Carpenter, Marcus Harrison, Gerard Warren (again) and Will Allen. I'm not mentioning all the UDFA's either.
    Posted by Salcon

You're right. He did make some FA moves on D also. I'll add that. Thanks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

"What we need is the pre-Giselle Tom Brady to come back to the PAts and to take the LA hair gel out of his hair and get down to business when it matters.  Ugh".
    Posted by BassFishingII[/QUOTE]

Bass, 

What are you smoking. That's one of the most moronic statements made to this group. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Great moves so far, the only problem is, it's not September yet so we don't know how all this will unfold. I just hope is not a " Dream Team " sequel.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to "Re: Exploring: BB's offseason plan, so far.":
    I'm really interested in seeing what Jonathan Fanene, Trevor Scott, Hightower and Chandler Jones can do to help this defense. To me that's it in a nut shell - either the defense improves - or we'll continue to see an offense that has to carry this team to the point where they can't do it any more (usually deep into the play offs where the defenses are for real). Posted by mthurl
    I think fanene and Hightower will provide the most impact of your 4 listed. Jones is a year or two away if coached up properly of making a serious contribution. The problem is we need some of that production this year with carter and Anderson gone. Then of course is the elusive cunningham. This kid could be a wild card. I am not expecting much, but would like to see him break through this year and add some production as a 4-3 de. There are a few kids on the defense I am really hopeful for outside the fa's and draft picks...Pryor, Cunningham, dowling, deaderick. I would like them to stay healthy for a season and see what they can do. Each has shown promise, hopefully this is the year they can put it together.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am not 100% sold on all the enthusiasm. Last years Albert/Ocho/Ellis/Carter signings were more impressive to me, even though they didn't pan out.

I still see a FA class that may see 50-60% of the signees not make the team. I also see a FA class that lacks any playmakers, although will provide some back up depth.

I like the draft choice potential, but see down the road potential with Jones (speaking with someone in the media a couplke of days ago and he said Jones reminded him of Cunningham). I also liked Hightower in college, but in college I thought he was a great comp to Spikes ...and will he be versatile in the NFL? 

Still see a lot of questions in the back 4 on defense. 

Liked the Lloyd signing, but how will he react to his numbers going down as Brady spreads the ball around? Projecting the Pats WR's while they seem good on paper, they are very old. 

Still early in the process, but I would have preferred a different approach...find a defensive playmaker in free agency, draft a WR to develop, then address over all depth.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Exploring: BB's offseason plan, so far. : Actually its the right post at the right time. For once in a long time, BB has done what fans expect of him to do. If these players maintain their health this could easily be the best season for the Patriots yet.
    Posted by Stommpper

It's nearly impossible to address every team need in one off-season. But, BB did attempt to fill the Pats' greatest need, by adding potential impact players on defense, in Chandler Jones, and Dont'a Hightower. I also like the potential of Markell Carter, and Jake Bequette. 

My primary concern for this team centers on their aging, injury prone OL. Will Logan Mankins be ready to go? Will C-Basses' back hold up, or does he have a chronic problem? Can the Pats squeeze out another good year out of RG Brian Waters? Does 33 year old center Dan Koppen have anything left? What can the Pats get out of Robert Gallery? Will Nate Solder and Marcus Cannon show significant improvement in 2012?

My secondary concern is their secondary. Can Ras-I Dowling finally stay healthy? Will CB Devin McCourty regain the great promise he displayed as a rookie? Will surprise contributor Sterling Moore continue to develop into the second coming of Asante Samuel? Can Davon Wilson play? Will Alfonzo Dennard be a contributor? Can Patrick Chung stay healthy? There's no question that the Pats' are much better defensively when Chung is at 100%. 

Thirdly, is the Pats' unstable situation at RB. Can Shane Vereen play, and contribute? Has Stevan Ridley put those fumble issues behind him? Does Joe Addai have anything left? Who do the Pats rely on in red-zone and short yardage situations?

Finally, there's the back-up QB siituation. Do the Patriots have Tom's eventual successor, in either Brian Hoyer or Ryan Mallett? Is Mallett ready to take the next step and supplant Hoyer as Brady's back-up? The preseason games will be interesting to watch, in order to gage how Mallett is coming along.          

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

We remind ourselves that collegiate performance needs to be tempered by gauging level of competition as a better yardstick for projecting probable NFL performance.  We should also be similarly aware that in BBs selection process in approaching the 54 squad limit that as the quality of players competing for positions improves so should the product on the field. Thus the wisdom of duplicating positional player pools with talented options!

With a full preseason available for screening and with the  added year of learning for PS and IR players coming into the mix we minimize lack of Pats philosophy as a liability in judging player performance. We thereby improve the probability that cream will rise to the top and we should be better  able to estimate whether Cunningham has a Pats future etc., whether Ocho's time has arrived etc.... 

This preseason should also redirect our attention toward areas still needing positional improvement as we watch the waiver wire for better "fits" in our O & D.  UDFAs who show potential for growth will strengthen our PS as we hold our breath wondering if the next T Brady is in the wings or if our most important position needs a transfusion!

On paper we seem to have significantly improved our team but we have new coaches, new players, probable strategy changes to reflect current roster additions and an unknown impact on team chemistry. If we have a DREAM team on paper, how long will it take to get a smooth working machine ready for another SB run?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

We remind ourselves that collegiate performance needs to be tempered by gauging level of competition as a better yardstick for projecting probable NFL performance.  We should also be similarly aware that in BBs selection process in approaching the 54 squad limit that as the quality of players competing for positions improves so should the product on the field. Thus the wisdom of duplicating positional player pools with talented options! With a full preseason available for screening and with the  added year of learning for PS and IR players coming into the mix we minimize lack of Pats philosophy as a liability in judging player performance. We thereby improve the probability that cream will rise to the top and we should be better  able to estimate whether Cunningham has a Pats future etc., whether Ocho's time has arrived etc....  This preseason should also redirect our attention toward areas still needing positional improvement as we watch the waiver wire for better "fits" in our O & D.  UDFAs who show potential for growth will strengthen our PS as we hold our breath wondering if the next T Brady is in the wings or if our most important position needs a transfusion! On paper we seem to have significantly improved our team but we have new coaches, new players, probable strategy changes to reflect current roster additions and an unknown impact on team chemistry. If we have a DREAM team on paper, how long will it take to get a smooth working machine ready for another SB run?
    Posted by moskk

The Pats are far from a "Dream Team". But, they should field a legitimate SB contender in 2012. 

Sections
Shortcuts