Exploring: The Drop.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Exploring: The Drop.

In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : The pass was fine. Welker misplayed it. Then he dropped it even though it hit him right in both hands. Poor guy. Poor us. Sorry to have to expose your Brady bashing so blatantly. Well, not really.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Either my computer is slow or that gif isn't in real time. Watch the whole play in real time and you will see that is one heck of a hard catch to make.

I guarantee ya, had he caught that pass everyone would be saying Wes made an amazing catch, not many people could have made that one.  

The ball clearly could have been lower and on target a bit better.  Still no guarantee they win the game with that catch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Imo it wasn't a very good pass, welker had to reach back against the direction that he was moving in but it still hit him in both hands. a professional receiver should make that catch. Barring a turnover after that, the game would have been over. As someone here mentioned, that is an easy easy catch for a guy like lloyd.

the whole team made mistakes that game, that play happened right near the end and would have sealed it for them. Had it happened in the first quarter we wouldn't have talked about it much. very tough loss but it's over with.  

This season we are going to win it all

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : Either my computer is slow or that gif isn't in real time. Watch the whole play in real time and you will see that is one heck of a hard catch to make. I guarantee ya, had he caught that pass everyone would be saying Wes made an amazing catch, not many people could have made that one.   The ball clearly could have been lower and on target a bit better.  Still no guarantee they win the game with that catch.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

The gif is slowed. Wes misjudged the ball, simple as that. If he looked back sooner, just turned to the other shoulder as he kept running, Brady hits him in stride.

It wasn't a real difficult catch even with what he did. It would fall into the "nice catch" category, not the "great catch" category.

The guy has admitted he has made catches that tough 1000 times.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : C'mon, that mickey mouse D only allowed Eli to hit on 5 of 6 passes for about 15 yards a pop with the Lombardi on the line. What fan wouldn't be proud of a D like that? Seriously, how pathetic was it? The Giants never even faced a 3rd down the entire 88 yard drive. You just don't get owned over and over any worse than that.

Babe, you should get over it. it sucks but it looks like they are going to have a much better team than the one that lost the super bowl by a few points.  Lets face it the Patriots, including Brady, made mistakes that cost them that game. Every mistake led to the loss, not just one. 

We are going to win it all this year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : The pic looks like defenders are 3-4 yards away. You think an NFL DB has a 36" stride at a full run? A guy running a 4.5 40 covers almost 9 yards a second. At full speed they cover 3 yards in a fraction of a second. Tom passed the ball very well there. Welker botched it by turning around completely anf leaping rather than just continuing to run and turning to the other shoulder. It would have hit him in stride around the 20 yard line.

Ok , seeing that makes me feel even worse lol... with the 3 giant defenders there, the pass was where it needed to be, and it hit him on his hands. ... Can't watch that anymore..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : Babe, you should get over it. it sucks but it looks like they are going to have a much better team than the one that lost the super bowl by a few points.  Lets face it the Patriots, including Brady, made mistakes that cost them that game. Every mistake led to the loss, not just one.  We are going to win it all this year. 
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

I'm over The Drop. I was interested in people's opinion after there has been some time gone by to reflect on it. Seems most have it in proper perspective now.

Not over the repeated D fails in the endgame though, until I see a reason to believe they aren't going to happen so frequently.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : I'm over The Drop. I was interested in people's opinion after there has been some time gone by to reflect on it. Seems most have it in proper perspective now. Not over the repeated D fails in the endgame though, until I see a reason to believe they aren't going to happen so frequently.

this year babe, this year,,, the d will be awesome and we will all be celebrating in Feb. Hightower is going to be a beast too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : this year babe, this year,,, the d will be awesome and we will all be celebrating in Feb. Hightower is going to be a beast too.
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping. Two real close misses in 5 tries is agonizing.

I will give BB credit. He saw the problem and aggressively addressed it in the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : I'm hoping. Two real close misses in 5 tries is agonizing.

That it is.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : one thing i will say looking at this frame: man welker can jump! look at how high off the ground he is...
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

True, but even at that he's only 6' tall.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]The old addage says thata if the ball hits you in the hands you should catch it. I bet that ball had a bit more rotation than welker is used to... I think he did a medium loft into the area. Usually Welker gets a hard spiral into the numbers. Hell of an adjustment, mid-air going backwards switching from inside shoulder to outside shoulder. I bet everyone of us drops that ball too. He probably needed bigger hands...Moss would have caught that.
    Posted by Bergzilla[/QUOTE]
    Moss is a much bigger target with hops. apples and oranges.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Exploring: The Drop. : I see your point...... Wide open WR; pass badly and unnecessarilly overthrown,; said WR jumping and falling backwards while running in a different direction failing to secure the ball with his fingertips..... Who's idea was it to franchise this pitiful excuse of a WR?
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]
    you are dead on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : i agree until you get to fingertips... the ball is plainly in his hands.
    Posted by jri37[/QUOTE]

Courtesy of camera angle. Brady throws it a foot lower and WW has a good chance of hanging onto the ball, despite needing to change directions and falling backwards.

I played TE in school. As oong as a ball came near me while I was running my normal route, and didn't need to change directions, or stop, or come back for the ball on a dime, if it touched my fingers, I needed to make the catch. Circus catches are great like the 2007 SB Earhole Special, but cannot be EXPECTED everytime out. 

The Babe needs to understand that sometimes his heros prove to be, well, mortal. I can just as easy run a pic of the poorly underthrown effort to Gronk that was an INT. Brady throws it longer or sooner, and I believe Gronk has a TD. He doesn't, and Gronk has to come back to the ball (ie: change directions), and try to make a catch of break it up while leaping on an "Everyone in the civilized world knows about it" bad ankle. Pefect play! Seems to me that unless Brady wasn't paying too much attention to Gronk's injury, as soon as he knew that Gronk had a less than average shot at making the catch on a "touch/spot" pass, the ball should have been tossed as far as he could throw, just about guaranteeing that the only player, Gronk, would have been able to come close to it and make a play.

Hey! It happens!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]I'm a Brady fan but even I can admit the pass could have and should have been better.  Still pictures don't tell the whole story.  Go back and watch the several different views in real time video and you can easily see how difficult that catch is to make.
    Posted by TFB12[/QUOTE]

I admire WW for stepping up and taking the "blame", and removing the heat from Brady after the game. I just hope Brady realizes it, and what a good teammate WW is. I can just see TO or Moss coming out like that after the game.
    Yeah! And then I'll sit and watch 30 minutes of elephants flying, non-animated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : The pic looks like defenders are 3-4 yards away. You think an NFL DB has a 36" stride at a full run? A guy running a 4.5 40 covers almost 9 yards a second. At full speed they cover 3 yards in a fraction of a second. Tom passed the ball very well there. Welker botched it by turning around completely and leaping rather than just continuing to run and turning to the other shoulder. It would have hit him in stride around the 20 yard line.

Gets funnier every time you whine about it!

The throw was behind WW, if you ever wanted to project WW's route continuation. He HAD to slow down and make a turn to try and catch it. Then, there's the leap (this strongly suggests "over throw" to a small/slot WR; you know, like WW). There are forces like "momentum" working against him and ANY athlete in these situations.

But, yiu keep on going on abiut how a small WR, has to stop runningf a route, turn, leap and then is expected to make a catch on an OVER THROWN BALL.
    (Sorry, but goes to credibility.)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ayisyen. Show Ayisyen's posts

[QUOTE]I just don't understand what the disagreement here is.  Welker makes that kind of catch 95% of the time.  The ball was not perfectly thrown, but so what?  I'm not sure I have ever seen a ball that Welker could touch but not catch.  It seems the only agenda to absolve Welker is to blame Brady, but why?  What does that get you?  The adsolute best days of any QB they miss 3 out of 10 passes.  Brady missed 3.5 out of 10 all season, including the superbowl.  This entire discussion of blame for a incompletion is really really dumb.
    Posted by Bustchise[/QUOTE]

It's been proven that Welker doesn't make that catch 95% of the time, he simply is not asked to make these type of catches, nor is he expected to, he doesn't have the physic for those type of plays.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]I just don't understand what the disagreement here is.  Welker makes that kind of catch 95% of the time.  The ball was not perfectly thrown, but so what?  I'm not sure I have ever seen a ball that Welker could touch but not catch.  It seems the only agenda to absolve Welker is to blame Brady, but why?  What does that get you?  The adsolute best days of any QB they miss 3 out of 10 passes.  Brady missed 3.5 out of 10 all season, including the superbowl.  This entire discussion of blame for a incompletion is really really dumb.
    Posted by Bustchise[/QUOTE]

How many safeties did he get?

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : Spare us your phoney TB love. The simple fact you call his 100 PR in that game (despite a bunch of drops and no Gronk)  before the hail mary drive a "bad game" shows you either are completely FOS when you say you love TB or you are clueless. Try watching the animation again and see Wes turn completely around and backpeddle a step then leap instead of just running and turning the other shoulder. He botched a good pass placed well within 3 defenders. And even if he didn't... A DECENT PRO WR CATCHES THE BALL HITTING HIM SQUARELY IN BOTH HANDS. What was his other "bad game" against the Giants? Oh yeah, you mean the one where he passed for the go ahead points with 1:36 left only to watch the D give up another TD in the endagame? That game?

Spin it any way you want babe. And spare us too. Go back to retirement.

Our devotion to our sports heroes is not blind love or faith. We can love them as much as we criticize them for poor execution. It's called being a FAN.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]The Dude choked at the biggest moment on the biggest stage.  Brady better never throw an important pass his way again.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Come on bro. Be fair. the consensus is the pass was not as accurate as we are use to to seeing. I think it was a joint miscue on TB and WW.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Exploring: The Drop. : It's been proven that Welker doesn't make that catch 95% of the time, he simply is not asked to make these type of catches, nor is he expected to, he doesn't have the physic for those type of plays.
    Posted by Ayisyen[/QUOTE]

Welker drops 1 out of 19 which is indeed very close to 95%.  He is ranked 10th.  No other Pat's reciever even makes the top 15 including LLoyd

Drop rates and touchdowns -- 2009-2011 seasons
    NAMETARGETSDROPSDROP RATETDDOB
    Larry Fitzgerald48081:60271983
    Greg Jennings343121:29251983
    Anquan Boldin342121:29141980
    Reggie Wayne456181:25201978
    Vincent Jackson246101:25211983
    Stevie Johnson (2 yrs)276121:23171986
    Calvin Johnson432201:22331985
    Roddy White524261:20291981
    Andre Johnson360171:21191981
    Wes Welker458241:19201981