Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment

For me, I'm gonna have to say that mine occurred at a Subway Restaurant.  Did I meet my future wife?  No...far more important.  I decided, on 1 beautiful Spring Day last year, to NOT select mayonaise on my footlong grinder.  Here me out first, before coming to full terms with this crucial moment of, I should say, Act of pure Enlightenment...  Not simply no mayo, but check this out: ZERO cream-based sandwich dressing AL-together.  Seriously, seriously, I ain't even lyin' to you folks.  I chose a footlong Spicy Italian, got it toasted, got my veggies, And It musta been right about here when the craziness/lightbulb of brilliance started to flicker on:  The Sandwich was looking sooo good basking in its own deliciously hot meaty flavor (jesus, did I just write that?), anyway-THAT I say to myself, "Laz, go easy on the veggies ole bud, the payoff will be monumental.  Just trust your intuition and the force, oh and your lucky mummified rooster claw."  So, I go: lettuce, just a few tomatos (specifically, no more than 4), onions and green peppers...that is IT!  No olives, peppericinis, jala's, pickled peppers, cucumber slices (but pickles on the side, obviously).  Alright, and HERE is the part you've ALL been waiting for..the critical moment of sandwich dressing.  I go (and I swear to God above that this really and trully happened):  Salt & Pepper, Just a little bitta oil & vinegar (and ya really got state that emphatically).  Jesus now, hold back people & brace yourselves for what I'm about to say next....  Lastly (I myself, can't hardly bear the suspense, calm down bud)...o.k, o.k....LASTLY: The sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing.  

To this very day, I can't even believe this really happened, BUT as god as my witness, It is a true story.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment

If you're going for the Subway choice it is best to go for the itallian for a couple of reasons.

1) You Can't skrrrew up Salami and Mortadella which are the predominant flavors that come through.

2) The shelf life of these high fat and salt deli meats is much longer than turkey or seafood.Also, with the meatball sub the sauce is junk coming out of a jar most times and there is a 99% chance that you will get a piece of bone or grissle in the meatball.

Gotta have hots and something sour on an itallian to cut through the richness. I love mine loaded with Pepperoncini, pickles and tomatoes. Just a little bit of Mayo, Oil and Balsamic Vinegar(Balsamic Rules).

I'm ready for lunch already.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I'm not a fan of the paper backed, super thin sliced, processed, meat by product sandwich chains. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment:
    I'm not a fan of the paper backed, super thin sliced, processed, meat by product sandwich chains. 
    Posted by Tcal2

Subway, Quiznos, D'Angelos...Junk, Junk and junk.

I have a good Bakery Near by and make everything from scratch. Much better and cheaper. Plus, I'm a big fan of Pork Cutlet Parm Subs and everybody is going to Chicken now.Pink Hat Sub shops, all of them!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment : Subway, Quiznos, D'Angelos...Junk, Junk and junk. I have a good Bakery Near by and make everything from scratch. Much better and cheaper. Plus, I'm a big fan of Pork Cutlet Parm Subs and everybody is going to Chicken now.Pink Hat Sub shops, all of them!
    Posted by ewhite1065

e, I'm in down state NY and every strip mall in NY and NJ has a Deli or Pizza place so there is absolutely no need for stopping at any of the chains you listed.
    I never knowingly had a pork cutlet Parm (hero) then again a few years ago there was a story on the news how a lot of places were using pork in the veal dishes so I'm sure I had a few veal parm hero's that were pork instead of veal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread laz.  But what's everyone favorite Deli?

Mine: Luca Brasi's in Hoboken....one word incredible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Subway s-cks. I never understood it. 

Choice #1:  Any mom and pop that does it right.

Choice #2: D'Angelos (Best chain anywhere in the country).

As a person who is now out of the area, trust me when I say this:

D'Angelos rules.  You have no idea how tough it is to locate a legit #9.  And, their menu is great, too.

Quiznos, etc, all blow.

The cold cuts Subway uses are AWFUL.  Junk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

In Response to Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment:
    For me, I'm gonna have to say that mine occurred at a Subway Restaurant.  Did I meet my future wife?  No...far more important.  I decided, on 1 beautiful Spring Day last year, to NOT select mayonaise on my footlong grinder.  Here me out first, before coming to full terms with this crucial moment of, I should say, Act of pure Enlightenment...  Not simply no mayo, but check this out: ZERO cream-based sandwich dressing AL-together.  Seriously, seriously, I ain't even lyin' to you folks.  I chose a footlong Spicy Italian, got it toasted, got my veggies, And It musta been right about here when the craziness/lightbulb of brilliance started to flicker on:  The Sandwich was looking sooo good basking in its own deliciously hot meaty flavor (jesus, did I just write that?), anyway-THAT I say to myself, "Laz, go easy on the veggies ole bud, the payoff will be monumental.  Just trust your intuition and the force, oh and your lucky mummified rooster claw."  So, I go: lettuce, just a few tomatos (specifically, no more than 4), onions and green peppers...that is IT!  No olives, peppericinis, jala's, pickled peppers, cucumber slices (but pickles on the side, obviously).  Alright, and HERE is the part you've ALL been waiting for..the critical moment of sandwich dressing.  I go (and I swear to God above that this really and trully happened):  Salt & Pepper, Just a little bitta oil & vinegar (and ya really got state that emphatically).  Jesus now, hold back people & brace yourselves for what I'm about to say next....  Lastly (I myself, can't hardly bear the suspense, calm down bud)...o.k, o.k....LASTLY: The sweet Vidalia Onion Dressing.   To this very day, I can't even believe this really happened, BUT as god as my witness, It is a true story.  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

First of all... I HATE subway.  No meat in the sandwiches.  Total waste of money.  Second of all... if I go to subway, can I get my 2minutes back I wasted reading this post?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread laz.  But what's everyone favorite Deli? Mine: Luca Brasi's in Hoboken....one word incredible.
    Posted by Tcal2

There's a place in Boston Called Sam LaGrassa's. That place is awesome.
    New York still has Boston Beat for Sub Rolls and Bagels But Sam's is really good.
    Unfortunately on the weekends it's too far away as I live up on the N.H. Border so I have to go rogue.

Pork Cutlet is awesome..Much more flavor than chicken. I make a Combo Pork Cutlet and home made meatball sub with Carmelized peppers and onions. In fact, that's on the menu for sunday along with pizza.

Edit} Also, I used to have to go to New York and New Jersey a lot when I was on the road and what difference in Deli food as soon as you get to the southern end of Connecticut. It's almost impossible to find bad food at any of those delis.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

In Response to Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment : First of all... I HATE subway.  No meat in the sandwiches.  Total waste of money.  Second of all... if I go to subway, can I get my 2minutes back I wasted reading this post?
    Posted by norichcrybabies

However, I go to the mom & pop shop, too.  I have one in my area (who's name escapes me) that has sandwiches sooo big you have to wonder how they could possibly be making any money at all?  A steak tip sub with actual medium rare steak tips, and plenty of them, pepers/onions/mushrooms.  cheese if you want it.  NO GRISSLE, either.  An italian?  theirs has to be a foot long x 6 inches and 2 solid inches of meat.  Unbelievable value.  You can have it for lunch today and tomorrow.  like $4?  something like that?  They litterally have 25 in a bucket that's constantly refreshed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment : However, I go to the mom & pop shop, too.  I have one in my area (who's name escapes me) that has sandwiches sooo big you have to wonder how they could possibly be making any money at all?  A steak tip sub with actual medium rare steak tips, and plenty of them, pepers/onions/mushrooms.  cheese if you want it.  NO GRISSLE, either.  An italian?  theirs has to be a foot long x 6 inches and 2 solid inches of meat.  Unbelievable value.  You can have it for lunch today and tomorrow.  like $4?  something like that?  They litterally have 25 in a bucket that's constantly refreshed.
    Posted by norichcrybabies

If it's north of Boston tell me where it is, and I'll go get one for lunch. I'm starved.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment : There's a place in Boston Called Sam LaGrassa's. That place is awesome. New York still has Boston Beat for Sub Rolls and Bagels But Sam's is really good. Unfortunately on the weekends it's too far away as I live up on the N.H. Border so I have to go rogue. Pork Cutlet is awesome..Much more flavor than chicken. I make a Combo Pork Cutlet and home made meatball sub with Carmelized peppers and onions. In fact, that's on the menu for sunday along with pizza. Edit} Also, I used to have to go to New York and New Jersey a lot when I was on the road and what difference in Deli food as soon as you get to the southern end of Connecticut. It's almost impossible to find bad food at any of those delis.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Yup. They'll be out business if they did.

One thing that I struggled with leaving the Northeast was the food.

1.  You can't get good seafood unless you pay and arm and a leg.
    2.  Pizza (legit NY thin crust) was a chore, even in Chicago/Midwest/anywhere other than NY/New England.  Even when they'd advertise it as such, it usually isn't anywhere remotely close.

Carry on.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

I can't believe I wasted my time reading this, I thought (at first) there was some hidden agenda to it.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Subway is good.  I like a good mom and pop deli but I don't usually have a lot of time for lunch.  In 30 minutes I can go to a Subway get a sandwich and get back to work and it's better than Burger King. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i can honestly say I have never had a subway sub.... but sorry rusty... i was just really liken the quizznos open oven barbacued beef... just bom...though they close that store ...

there is study published that links processed deli roastbeef to bladder cancer... i wonder if that applies to boreshead italian spiced roast beef

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Board's Head is all natural, etc. Nothing wrong with Boar's Head. In fact, it's the best deli meat anywhere, in my opinion. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Extremely Important Life-Changing Moment : Yup. They'll be out business if they did. One thing that I struggled with leaving the Northeast was the food. 1.  You can't get good seafood unless you pay and arm and a leg. 2.  Pizza (legit NY thin crust) was a chore, even in Chicago/Midwest/anywhere other than NY/New England.  Even when they'd advertise it as such, it usually isn't anywhere remotely close. Carry on.
    Posted by BBReigns

I agree,
    I have relatives in Omaha and Go out there to visit once in a while.The steak is the best I've ever had but everything else is subpar. The Northeast is the Melting pot for food too. Even when I went out to Vegas I heard Great things about the Cuisine but it was really over rated.

BTW- I'll cast a vote in the direction of Boars Head also for deli cuts at the Store. Wait til Laz sees what his thread has turned into.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

It's all about D'Angelo's steak & cheese or #9.  The #9 is the greatest thing since the white sliced bread they serve it on.  Steak, cheese, mushrooms, onions, red peppers, green peppers, hot peppers... :-P it's probably the fast food that I miss the most now that I live in NY.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"I hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread laz.  But what's everyone favorite Deli?

Mine: Luca Brasi's in Hoboken....one word incredible
    ."

No prob...I view this topic of discussion as more of an overall greater forum of discussion on greater types of deli-meat combinations, places which turn these combos into something trully special, sliced meat's place in the history of mankind, and the world events which have made this possible.  Like SPAM, for instance=England, food shortages during WWII, and the great benevolent act of America in sending a culture entirely devoid of culinary skills and dentistry, it's own random animal part cr#ppy food by-products.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Hey Laz...It's medication time."

LOL, you said in your Brady Looking for Flags thread, that I know you Leon...well, gotta say YOU know me (been downin' a healthy combo of Trilleptal, Abilify, Cymbalta, and ADD meds ollowed by cream soda and Perdomo cigars since the a.m....I'm floatin').

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

its the preservative tht they inject into the meat...nitrite and nitrate...

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

its the preservative tht they inject into the meat...nitrite and nitrate...
    Posted by jcour382

That's correct.   It's not necessary. It's not like I can't go to the store in 3 days to get fresh meats.

Sections
Shortcuts