FA CBs available

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

FA CBs available

Even though it looks like another draft with a CB, we still probably need another FA CB.

Who would you select?

1.     Chris Gamble, CB, Panthers. Age: 30. 
    Chris Gamble played in only four games this past season because of a shoulder injury, but he's still a pretty solid cornerback. However, he's 30 so his best days are behind him.

2.      DeAngelo Hall, CB, Redskins. Age: 29.  
    DeAngelo Hall is a pretty overrated player. He's viewed by many as a top corner because of his high interception totals, but his tendency to get torched frequently is overlooked. Hall is also often penalized. He does make plays though, so he's a decent starter, but nothing more.

3.      Antoine Winfield, CB, Vikings. Age: 36.  
    Antoine Winfield has enjoyed a great career, but it's quickly coming to an end. Turning 36 in June, Winfield was demoted out of full-time duties at the end of this past season even though he had been playing well. Winfield may still have one strong year left in the tank, but as we saw in the AFC divisional round with Champ Bailey, old corners could fall off without any warning.

4.     Brent Grimes, CB, Falcons. Age: 30.  
    Brent Grimes would be ranked much higher if he weren't coming off a torn Achilles' tendon. He'll be 30 in July, so it'll be tough for him to bounce back.

5.      Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Eagles. Age: 32.  
    Aside from perhaps Darrelle Revis, Nnamdi Asomugha was viewed as the league's best cornerback when he signed a 5-year, $60 million contract right after the lockout. He was just mediocre in 2011 and then downright awful this past season, so it was a no-brainer that Philadelphia cut him, given that he was owed $15 million in 2013. Ranking Asomugha is a bit of a challenge because there's always a chance he could improve elsewhere. He won't be in Raider form, but perhaps he can become a decent starter again. On the flip side, there have been reports that Asomugha lost his passion

6.      Sheldon Brown, CB, Browns. Age: 34.  
    Sheldon Brown is coming off a great year, serving as a terrific starter across from Joe Haden. He also held his own when Haden was out of the lineup. Unfortunately, he turns 34 in March, so his best days are behind him.

7.      Jacob Lacey, CB, Lions. Age: 26.  
    Jacob Lacey started slow this season, but excelled ever since he was moved into the nickel role.

8.      Terence Newman, CB, Bengals. Age: 34.  
    Terence Newman was surprisingly pretty solid this past season after struggling in Dallas. Credit must be given to defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who knows how to use Newman, but it was still shocking to see Newman do so well.

9.      Quentin Jammer, CB, Chargers. Age: 34.  
    Quentin Jammer had his moments early in the 2012 season, but really wore down during the stretch. His starting days could be over.

10.    Mike Jenkins, CB, Cowboys. Age: 28.  
    Mike Jenkins has talent, but he's a head case who hasn't put it together yet. Maybe some coach can salvage his career.

11.    Joselio Hanson, CB, Raiders. Age: 32.  
    Joselio Hanson was one of Philadelphia's final cuts prior to the season. The Raiders snatched him up, and he actually played pretty well for them as their nickel corner.

12.   William Middleton, CB, Jaguars. Age: 27. 

13.   Tracy Porter, CB, Broncos. Age: 27. 

14.   Shawntae Spencer, CB, Raiders. Age: 31. 

15.   Christopher Owens, CB, Falcons. Age: 26. 

16.   Cedric Griffin, CB, Redskins. Age: 30. 

17.   Kelvin Hayden, CB, Bears. Age: 30. 

18.   Marcus Trufant, CB, Seahawks. Age: 32. 

19.   Rashean Mathis, CB, Jaguars. Age: 33. 

20.   Terrence McGee, CB, Bills. Age: 32. 

21.   Brandon McDonald, CB, Buccaneers. Age: 28. 

22.   Elbert Mack, CB, Saints. Age: 27. 

23.   Bryce McCann (RFA), CB, Dolphins. Age: 25. 

24.   Ryan Mouton, CB, Titans. Age: 26. 

25.   Cassius Vaughn (RFA), CB, Colts. Age: 25. 

26.   Michael Adams, CB, Cardinals. Age: 28. 

27.   Stanford Routt, CB, Texans. Age: 30. 

28.   Chris Carr, CB, Chargers. Age: 30. 

29.   Will Allen, CB, Patriots. Age: 35. 

30.   Pat Lee, CB, Lions. Age: 29. 

31.   Justin King, CB, Steelers. Age: 26. 

32.   Nate Ness (RFA), CB, Panthers. Age: 26. 

33.   Justin Tryon, CB, Giants. Age: 29. 

34.   Michael Coe, CB, Cowboys. Age: 29. 

35.   D.J. Johnson, CB, Redskins. Age: 27. 

36.   Brian Witherspoon (RFA), CB, Giants. Age: 28. 

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013CB.php

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: FA CBs available

Depends on cost, but Tracy porter, Jammer, and maybe Mike Jenkins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

sounds like Huff is in Baltimore now.

one of the issues in the defensive back field that is talked about is continuity, that the PAts cannot play the type of defense they want to play due to the players constantly changing year over year. It would seem possible that after next year, AWilson, Talib and maybe Ras will not be on the team. Is it time to stop obtaining over 30 year olds and look for a defensive back that will be here for 3-4 years?

I say no on Newman, Winfield, Namdi, Brown, Jammer...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Depends on cost, but Tracy porter, Jammer, and maybe Mike Jenkins.

I'm thinking the same though given the choices I'd rather go CB in the draft and Jenkins and Jammer are band-aids. I do like Porters potential and he had a good year last year but I wonder why Den hasn't brought him back yet considering the reasonable rate CB's have been going for

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

It really depends on cost, because whoever comes in here needs to be good on STs, too, because if Arrington is a nickel and Talib and Dennard are the starters. The CB FA knows this, so it's very clear it's a camp invite type of thing like they do every year. It won't be some big name because it doesn't need to be.

You want a guy who can play dime but also back up for nickel. It might be as simple as Jacob Lacey who is good in the slot.

This is all assuming Dennard won't miss camp, etc.

A lot of these older dudes or guys who have made millions aren't going to want to come in here to compete for a bubble spot and expect to play on STs, too.

you just described Cole, who I am fine with as the 5th CB and a ST ace. His 2nd year in this system has to help as well. Those who expected him to come into the AFCCCG and cover Boldin were delusional. Cole is not that caliber of player. But he is fast, can tackle and can play ST. Has good hands, durable.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

It really depends on cost, because whoever comes in here needs to be good on STs, too, because if Arrington is a nickel and Talib and Dennard are the starters. The CB FA knows this, so it's very clear it's a camp invite type of thing like they do every year. It won't be some big name because it doesn't need to be.

You want a guy who can play dime but also back up for nickel. It might be as simple as Jacob Lacey who is good in the slot.

A lot of these older dudes or guys who have made millions aren't going to want to come in here to compete for a bubble spot and expect to play on STs, too.

you just described Cole, who I am fine with as the 5th CB and a ST ace. His 2nd year in this system has to help as well. Those who expected him to come into the AFCCCG and cover Boldin were delusional. Cole is not that caliber of player. But he is fast, can tackle and can play ST. Has good hands, durable.

That's the problem though. As a 5th CB then I'm fine with Cole, however, because Ras is a giant question mark, I think we'd all prefer Arrington to stay inside and never come outside, questions if Dennard will miss time, and Talib never going a full season in his career do we really need an outside backup to guard against the known high risks currently on the team. Given Talib's contract is one year I'd rather take the risk of getting a young draft pick who has potential to be a starter in 14' then another young JAG (Williams) or an aging vet who won't be around past camp or next year at the latest (Winfield)

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

At this point I am thinking some of the 'better' younger guys on that list will be left hanging and will be quite likely to jump at any offer in a few weeks.

With Talib being an injury risk, not having a real quality back-up is an issue. CBs take a pounding in this league and especially with the Pats who expect good run support - with their body types coming up and taking on pulling linemen and fullbacks is tough.

Grimes probably has a Falcons offer in his back pocket that he is trying to better but is more than the Pats would pay. Nnamdi is probably getting his head around a 66% decrease in pay (15M to 5M.) Same with Gamble and Hall. But, get to April 15 without a deal, and any contract will start looking good.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

At this point I am thinking some of the 'better' younger guys on that list will be left hanging and will be quite likely to jump at any offer in a few weeks.

With Talib being an injury risk, not having a real quality back-up is an issue. CBs take a pounding in this league and especially with the Pats who expect good run support - with their body types coming up and taking on pulling linemen and fullbacks is tough.

Grimes probably has a Falcons offer in his back pocket that he is trying to better but is more than the Pats would pay. Nnamdi is probably getting his head around a 66% decrease in pay (15M to 5M.) Same with Gamble and Hall. But, get to April 15 without a deal, and any contract will start looking good.

need legit cb who will be good for 2-3 years or more.

kick grimes tires

namdi seems to have lost some speed

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

Whether you like it or not, Dowling gets one more look in camp here too. A 1 year low cost deal with a guy like Jacob Lacey might make sense. If Dowling looks good, then you can just cut Lacey or vice versa.

Don't you think that the league will suspend Dennard 4-6 games even if he isn't jailed?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In response to Cyberknot's comment:

Whether you like it or not, Dowling gets one more look in camp here too. A 1 year low cost deal with a guy like Jacob Lacey might make sense. If Dowling looks good, then you can just cut Lacey or vice versa.

Don't you think that the league will suspend Dennard 4-6 games even if he isn't jailed?

He was not an NFL player when the event occured so I would be surprised. If they are going to start suspending college players for their actions before they are drafted it will be a little wierd.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

He was not an NFL player when the event occured so I would be surprised. If they are going to start suspending college players for their actions before they are drafted it will be a little wierd.

That is a very good point. That cheers me up, now I only have the jail thing to worry about. Thanks.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Don't really need to spend for another free agent CB, Talib and Arrington were our targeted free agents, likely they fill the remainder of the roster with older vets, rookies and undrafted free agents. We still have other corners under contract.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I really want Ras-I to work out here.  He has the physical tools to be a very, very good CB.  If he could just stay healthy!  I think this year will be his last chance.  If he goes out hurt, he could be as good as gone.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

I had really high hopes for Ras when he came in, now it would be like finding a hundred dollar bill in a suit you haven't worn for a couple years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

Chris Gamble, CB, Panthers. Age: 30.

Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Eagles. Age: 32.

CHEAPPPPP!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsBermuda. Show PatsBermuda's posts

I love Vets....they helped us win our 3 SBs....BB needs not to forget that....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

gamble wasn`t retired?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

If they try to suspend him it will violate the Labor deal. Dennard wasn't a working member of the NFL when he was arrested. Basically that means he isn't subjecated to the rules of suspension that are and were already in place.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjdbrasil. Show jjdbrasil's posts

Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot 1h

#Browns have agreed to terms with former Falcons CB Chris Owens http://s.cleveland.com/ixK4RVO

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

All these options and all we did was sign Arrington and Talib back?  Dennard is on his last leg with the law and Ras I headed to the injury protection program. Sooo, whats changed from last year when were one injury away from our secondary S*cking? M.Cole is still gonna be on the field very quickly. Logan looks ok, but really not ONE vet. CB brought in ALL offseason. Just resign the same guys? I hope it works out cuz I would hate to say I told ya so, but thats a thin group and I dont care that DMC has been practicing here and there at CB. its a trickle down effect. Now we are seeing how bad picks hurt your team...ahem, Ras I,. basically a 1st round bust!

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

Sections
Shortcuts